HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXV (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2011, 07:08 PM
SB164

vCash: 500
reporterchris Chris Johnston

As a repeat offender, Wisniewski's suspension costs him $536,585.36. Ouch.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:27 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Wiz has been Shanabanned for rest of preseason + first 8 regular season games!
Well the good thing is if Chara pulls his dirty revenge move again he should get the season. Shanahan isn't playing around which is good.

Edit: Of course Chara never will get a repeat offender because for some reason he always gets away with his dirty play.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Patccmoi

Wow, if this keeps going I'll end up thinking Shanahan is for real. 8 games to a player of Wiz caliber that was one of the major acquisition of CBJ this summer is something Campbell would NEVER have done without the other guy being sent straight to the hospital with his neck broken. Oh wait, that didn't do anything either.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Roke

I've watched more Shanahan suspension videos on NHL.com this pre-season than total videos on NHL.com all of last season.

I guess that's one way for the league to drive traffic to the website.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Mike8

Wow, 8 games? Not sure how I feel about that one.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:37 PM
TroyM

Damn, I am really impressed with Shanahan, so awesome to have someone take over who actually does his job, has some balls, and explains it for everyone to see. Makes you realize even more what a complete ****ing joke Campbell was, wow. Way to make your predecessor look like a complete fool in about a week Shanahan, haha, big respect from me.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
bipolarhabfan

Shanahan's approach is refreshing. I was tired of seeing no suspensions for clear infractions. It seems like this wont be happening with Shanny at the helm of discipline.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:03 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Shanny is not ****ing around!

Old
09-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I think it's a bit excessive myself, but

- I'd rather it be excessive than lenient
- Wisniewski has a rap sheet
- It was at the end of the game after the final whistle, which I think makes it even more flagrant and reprehensible

Shanahan's already building a reputation as a stern disciplinarian as opposed to fun ol' Uncle Colie and his 'boys will be boys' attitude. If the players are starting to take notice then it's a step in the right direction. I want them to have Shanahan in the back of their mind when they think about doing something stupid.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I dunno if you have kids, but to me it's the same approach and I'm so happy to see it. Sure, it might be a bit overboard. But by going overboard early, and explaining the reasoning, it makes things very clear. If you do X, you will be punished seriously.

If you act like this, you will not have to do discipline for long because kids (or in this case hockey players) will learn quick. Harsh consequences like losing half a million leave a mark, and people will stop just acting recklessly. It's bad habits that have been tolerated for so long that without acting decisively players will just keep doing it. If they lose 10% of their salary each time they hit someone to the head, trust me they won't do it twice.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:21 PM
MTL-rules

Wow, so this is what a league with a real disciplinary chief looks like.

Colin Campbell was the biggest joke ever, what a tool.

Can't wait for the first Bruin to get suspended. Shouldn't be too long with these goons...

Old
09-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
I dunno if you have kids, but to me it's the same approach and I'm so happy to see it. Sure, it might be a bit overboard. But by going overboard early, and explaining the reasoning, it makes things very clear. If you do X, you will be punished seriously.

If you act like this, you will not have to do discipline for long because kids (or in this case hockey players) will learn quick. Harsh consequences like losing half a million leave a mark, and people will stop just acting recklessly. It's bad habits that have been tolerated for so long that without acting decisively players will just keep doing it. If they lose 10% of their salary each time they hit someone to the head, trust me they won't do it twice.
I get the analogy, but I don't think it's applicable here. If you go harsh with suspensions early, you must maintain that level of harshness, lest you be accused of inconsistent and arbitrary rulings. These are precedents. A play like Wisniewski's, where it's after the whistle and unsportsmanlike, will happen. In fact, those plays are lauded as being characteristic of warriors down the stretch and in the playoffs. We've seen Koivu in similar acts in the past, for example.

What happens if Crosby, for example, in the heat of battle in a playoff series does this to a Brad Marchand? Wouldn't even necessarily need to be playoffs, even a regular season game where the 8 games Crosby would get are just as valuable as those that Wisniewski has gotten. I don't think that's just, and I think it's contrary to some of the raw emotion which is still good in the sport.

I should note that it didn't look to me like Wisniewski was targeting the head (I may be wrong on this--I ought to review it again), and it didn't seem like an intent-to-injure so much as an I'm-frustrated sort of vent (and intent here may not matter all that much, given the clear-cut nature of Shanahan's criteria).

Old
09-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Can Ben Maxwell make the Jets? He has a couple of points already. Kudos to him if he does. Still don't think he will be a regular, very surprising if he does. Didn't look to me has having the nerves and the drive to make it. And didn't want to seem to implicate himself in the game either.

Old
09-26-2011, 11:06 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Can Ben Maxwell make the Jets? He has a couple of points already. Kudos to him if he does. Still don't think he will be a regular, very surprising if he does. Didn't look to me has having the nerves and the drive to make it. And didn't want to seem to implicate himself in the game either.
Always thought he had talent, skating and hockey sense, but he never really took charge. I hope he makes it, but unless he puts some jam in his game and either has world class skill or goes in traffic, he may never be a regular. It's in his hands as he's got the tools to be an NHL player IMO.

Old
09-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think he makes the team. The Jets don't have too much depth.

It'd be a frail third line to have both Maxwell and Wellwood, though.

Old
09-27-2011, 03:10 AM
euphrates

philly/rangers game will likely produce another suspension

http://youtu.be/1HkWTfc4nFs

Old
09-27-2011, 07:27 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrates View Post
philly/rangers game will likely produce another suspension

http://youtu.be/1HkWTfc4nFs
Ugly, can't wait to see his ass suspended...

But, have you seen how fast his teammate jumped on the guy to avenge him... this is something sorely lacking on the habs. Again last night, Campbell running over Price and a bunch of ******* doing nothing about it.

I'm still against fighting, but as long as it's here, THAT is a moment when to send a message.

Old
09-27-2011, 07:39 AM
Andy

Maxwell doing well in pre-season is nothing new. He'd usually score a couple of goals and put up two or three assists only to play terrible when it mattered most. But he will make the jets for lack of depth.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

But, have you seen how fast his teammate jumped on the guy to avenge him... this is something sorely lacking on the habs. Again last night, Campbell running over Price and a bunch of ******* doing nothing about it.

I'm still against fighting, but as long as it's here, THAT is a moment when to send a message.
Ugly check, deserves a lenghty suspension. But the melée that followed was just as ugly, IMO.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:15 AM
ti-vite

Do suspensions carry-over to the AHL? I don't know if he was destined to play with Philly this year, but he has only a handfull of games with CLB with 150+PIMs in the farm.

Old
09-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:

You don't remember Gionta's Lambeau leap against Boston last year?

Old
09-27-2011, 11:47 AM
habsrule22

Quote:
Wow, so this is what a league with a real disciplinary chief looks like.

Colin Campbell was the biggest joke ever, what a tool.

Can't wait for the first Bruin to get suspended. Shouldn't be too long with these goons...

Anybody think that if Shanahan had been the disciplinary chief that last year would have unfolded differently. No way would the Bruins have gotten away with the things that they did.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:58 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Do any of you think that if Shanny was in the same position as this year. Would he have suspended Chara ?

Old
09-27-2011, 11:59 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
reporterchris Chris Johnston

As a repeat offender, Wisniewski's suspension costs him $536,585.36. Ouch.
Other players will notice, hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Do any of you think that if Shanny was in the same position as this year. Would he have suspended Chara ?
Yes. And for the rest of the season.

No Stanley Cup for our dear Bruins..................

Old
09-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Patccmoi

And Shanahan strikes again... this time 5 (reg season, who cares about the pre-season ones) games to JF Jacques for jumping on the ice with the sole intention of starting a fight. That's not even head-shot related.

Man, is this guy for real? Is he really going to manage to clean-up the game or is he going to get pushed back down by the dinosaurs of the league? I gotta say I'm really hoping he manages to keep going, he would give so much credibility back to the league.

Closed Thread