HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXV (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Bob McKenzie
Brad Winchester is going to Sharks camp on a pro tryout.
Good addition for the Sharks if he makes it which I think he will. Good off season for San Jose so far

Old
09-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Bernier doesn't appear to have the consistency or drive to remain in the top 6 and he's basically useless in the bottom 6 would be my guess.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

According to Bob M. the Isles and Sabres are talking extension for Tavares and Myers in the 5.5 million range per season. Man how much is PK going to cost us if Myers signs that kind of deal ?

Myers and Tavares close to long-term extensions (approx. 6 years, $5.5M per)
Quote:
Nothing official just yet, but John Tavares and Tyler Myers on verge of big, multi-year contract extensions with NYI and BUF, respectively.
Quote:
Both deals are expected to be in 6 year range, give or take a year, and worth an average of $5.5M, give or take a few hundred thousand.
twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Old
09-14-2011, 07:51 AM
buddahsmoka1

Buffalo can throw whatever they want at Myers, doesn't change anything between contracts between the Habs and Subban.

Old
09-14-2011, 10:28 AM
macavoy

What does it matter if he gets $4.5m or $5.5m? We can afford it either way. The cap will go up again next year, it's called inflation. PK getting $5.5m next year is akin to making $3mish the year after the lockout.

The media needs to start changing howthey view cap hits away from dollar amounts and start taking into account, the percentage of cap hit.

We could pay Price Bryz money and PK Weber money and still be under the cap next year.

Old
09-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Mike8

Tavares signs on for 6-years, $33m. Works out to a $5.5m cap hit.

Definitely reasonable for NYI, I think.

Should take him right up to UFA (correct me if I'm wrong).

Pierre LeBrun
Deal will pay Bogosian $2 million this year and $3 million in 2012-13

So Bogosian is signed on. That can quash all rumours of him to Montreal. Reasonable deal and, if I remember correctly, a lower cap hit than his previous deal? In any event, I like both deals for NYI and ATL respectively.

Last edited by Mike8: 09-14-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old
09-14-2011, 04:28 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Tavares signs on for 6-years, $33m. Works out to a $5.5m cap hit.

Definitely reasonable for NYI, I think.

Should take him right up to UFA (correct me if I'm wrong).

Pierre LeBrun
Deal will pay Bogosian $2 million this year and $3 million in 2012-13

So Bogosian is signed on. That can quash all rumours of him to Montreal. Reasonable deal and, if I remember correctly, a lower cap hit than his previous deal? In any event, I like both deals for NYI and ATL respectively.
Oh nice ATL got a NHL team?

Solid deal, in both cases.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:46 PM
LePoche69

Is Subban < or > or = Tavares?

Tavares just signed a 5.5 millions deal, 33 millions for 6 years.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...rn=nhl-wp12550

I know Subban is a d-man and Tavares is a forward, but do you think that their value is quite equal at this time of their respective career? is it the type money Subban will seek next year?

Personnaly, I would wait half a season to see what's going on with Subban. If he plays as well as last year and shows some sign of improvement in any area, I would give him such deal.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:51 PM
shello
@WShello9

Subban won't get Tavares money and shouldn't. Yet.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:52 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Way less right now. 3.5 for 3-4 years sounds right. Hopefully Schenn doesn't get overpaid.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:52 PM
hattrick3518

vCash: 700
If Subban puts up numbers like Doughty did in 09-10 then maybe he could be looking at those terms, but I don't think he'll get $5.5m per, or 6 years.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:53 PM
OneSharpMarble

Not a chance, until Subban becomes an elite #1 dman with many good seasons under his belt he wont crack 4million.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:59 PM
LePoche69

I agree with you all guys, but I do think Subban is at least as valuable to his team as Tavares is right now.

So does that mean Tavares is overpaid?

Old
09-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I agree with you all guys, but I do think Subban is at least as valuable to his team as Tavares is right now.

So does that mean Tavares is overpaid?
Tavares is overpaid based on what he's done so far, sure. But he's being paid based on his potential, hence the 6-year deal.

Also, while Subban may be as valuable to his team as Tavares is (though, I don't agree with that), players aren't paid according to their value to clubs so much as their overall worth/production and value in the league. On that level, Tavares is better than Subban with some ease.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:24 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 400
Subban IMHO is better than Schenn and should make more than him, ofcourse, BB will over pay Schenn. PK is not as good as Markov yet either. Pk should get between 3 - 4 per, hopefully a good term of at least 3 years or more.

In comparing him to Tavares, the roles and value to their team is different enough that I would not compare them to each other directly. PK is not our best player yet, I think Tavares is theirs already.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:32 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Tavares is overpaid based on what he's done so far, sure. But he's being paid based on his potential, hence the 6-year deal.

Also, while Subban may be as valuable to his team as Tavares is (though, I don't agree with that), players aren't paid according to their value to clubs so much as their overall worth/production and value in the league. On that level, Tavares is better than Subban with some ease.
That's an interesting debate in itself!

Fair points in your post, overall.

Is Tavares more valuable to the Isle than Subban to the Habs? Tough call. Tavares sells tickets, which Subban could also do on some teams, but it is not needed for the Habs.

Given the fact Subban will probably play 25-30 minutes a game this year, and probably more often than not against good opponents, I do believe he's more valuable than Tavares.

And I do think Habs would be more in trouble without Subban than the Isle without Tavares, but this is also debatable.

Old
09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Subban IMHO is better than Schenn and should make more than him, ofcourse, BB will over pay Schenn. PK is not as good as Markov yet either. Pk should get between 3 - 4 per, hopefully a good term of at least 3 years or more.
On a 1 year deal maybe (looking at the lower end of your range). Myers is rumored to be getting a 5.5M per, 6 year deal. If we want to sign PK to a deal that eats off a few UFA years, we'll likely need to offer something similar.

IMO 3 years (which I believe still keeps him at RFA status) at 4M or 6+ years at 5M is fair, assuming he plays this season consistently at the level we saw in the latter half of last season.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:22 PM
neofury*

I don't believe Tavares is overpaid I think that's a good contract. Isles aren't in a position where they have UFA banging away at the door, it's smart for them to build from within and give their homegrown talent good contracts. Right now it really can't hurt them even if Tavares regresses to being equivalent to a 4 million dollar player. Imo in 5 years 5.5 for Tavares will seem laughable. I'm far more sold on him than say Taylor Hall. Personally always have liked Tavares.

PS: Would not be surprised to see PK get 2 years 7-8 million on his next deal. Then if he continues improving he will get a crazy deal, book it. I don't think PK is that unreasonable a kid he seems to be pretty down to earth. I know it's mostly his agent who will be the problem but I don't doubt players play their part.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:25 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Is Tavares more valuable to the Isle than Subban to the Habs? Tough call.

And I do think Habs would be more in trouble without Subban than the Isle without Tavares, but this is also debatable.
I think the Isles would be in a world of more trouble if they were without Tavarres than if we were without Subban. If we magically lost Subban, Markov can easily replace Subban's production and role from last year.

Isles have no one that can step up and replace Tavarres. They'd be in a world of doo doo if they lost JT.

Old
09-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Miller Time

If subban plays anywhere near the level he played at down the stretch and into the playoffs....

- he'll get Norris consideration, maybe even nomination
- he'll easily be looking for 5M+ on any kind of long term extension

If PG is smart, he'll get the extension done the minute it's possible, and he'll get him locked in for 5+ seasons

Subban IS a "build your team around" caliber player, I hope they don't nickel & dime him with B.S short term offers....

Old
09-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
His 2 first years he has only kept getting better. This deal only starts after next season so if he improves again this season(which I think he will) this deal in the long run will be a great one for the Islanders. Last year the Isles played without Streit and Okposo pretty much all year and he still put up great numbers at his 2nd nhl season with a pretty horible team

Old
09-14-2011, 06:53 PM
buddahsmoka1

Tavares is a former number 1 pick, Islanders bonafide number 1 center, and cornerstone of the franchise.

No matter how well Subban has developed, he is none of those things. Although the last one is more due to Montreal having an actual competitive and deep team, filled with a lot of veteran support.

The two are not comparable.

Old
09-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Tavares is a former number 1 pick, Islanders bonafide number 1 center, and cornerstone of the franchise.

No matter how well Subban has developed, he is none of those things. Although the last one is more due to Montreal having an actual competitive and deep team, filled with a lot of veteran support.

The two are not comparable.
Exactly.

Tavares is the cornerstone of the Islanders rebuild, he's priceless to them.

Old
09-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Kyle Turris

So, looks like this guy is far apart from signing and may not report. Personally I think his contract demands (if the reported numbers) seem ridiculous.

Assuming though that this could be worked out, what do people think of this guy? Do you think he'd be worth picking up or have you already written him off as a bust. Just curious to see people's thoughts on this guy.

Old
09-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Teemu Selanne will be back for another year in Anaheim, 1 year 4 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=375875

Closed Thread