HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

2011-12 Western Conference Predicitions

Old
08-09-2011, 11:48 PM
dogsandwings

vCash: 500
Hey pre season predictions can be fun...don't think i ever recall anyone getting it exactly right..it is easy to pick a winner when a team is stacked..or a loser when a team is in a down cycle e.g. Barrie...Windsor..they have had there day and will be lucky to make the playoffs.. and the west is pretty competitive and i personally think about 4 or 5 teams can come out on top..and the Soo is in that mix..there is a lot of excitement in our city right now
Hey the fans here deserve a winner they support this team...not many fair weather fans up here.

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
jsting

As a Sting fan i have a hard time putting them anywhere close to the top because im just used to mediocre seasons at best. But this year is different....im in shock of how this team has turned around and now in my mind could be the best team in the league. The talent is there now all they have to do is gel together. If they can do this then i think they have a legit shot at taking the conference.

So......

1. Sarnia (still cant believe im putting this)
2. Plymouth
3. Saginaw
4. Kitchener
5. SSM
6. London
7. Windsor
8. Erie
9. Owen Sound
10. Guelph

Sarnia, Plymouth and Saginaw will be a great battle.

jsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:52 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
If Erie can get back even half of what Windsor did for Grubauer, they'll be doing alright.
Exactly my point - he had 10 times the accomplishments, including a memorial cup win. It's hard to even fathom dealing a goalie who was largely responsible for winning you the OHL championship, yet Windsor did because in dealing him they were able to free up both an import spot and an OA spot. Compare what the Colts got for Michael Hutchinson (a 19 year old Canadian player) the year before. The return on Hutchinson was much better. OA import goalies might be the most difficult asset to trade, and get a fair return.

Best,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:25 PM
hockeye

Sadikov won't be back so it doesn't matter

hockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:28 AM
ohlws

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Exactly my point - he had 10 times the accomplishments, including a memorial cup win. It's hard to even fathom dealing a goalie who was largely responsible for winning you the OHL championship, yet Windsor did because in dealing him they were able to free up both an import spot and an OA spot. Compare what the Colts got for Michael Hutchinson (a 19 year old Canadian player) the year before. The return on Hutchinson was much better. OA import goalies might be the most difficult asset to trade, and get a fair return.

Best,
Shawn
Grubauer wasn't an OA last season, so the Spits did not open up an OA spot, I believe they traded him because they knew Campbell was coming. Plus I bet they had an idea who they wanted in the import draft and were sure he (Khoklochev) would report last season (along with Kuhnhackl who was already coming).

ohlws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Libbs

Midwest:
1) London
2) Owen Sound
3) Kitchener
4) Erie
5) Guelph

West:
1) Plymouth
2) Sarnia
3) Saginaw
4) Sault St. Marie
5) Windsor

Overall

1) Plymouth
2) London
3) Sarnia
4) Saginaw
5) Owen Sound
6) Sault St. Marie
7) Kitchener
8) Windsor
9) Erie
10) Guelph

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 08:54 PM
jwalk

1. Plymouth
2. Kitchener
3. Sarnia
4. Saginaw
5. London
6. Soo
7. Owen Sound
8. Windsor
9. Erie
10. Guelph

jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 09:55 PM
KnightRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
1. Plymouth
2. Kitchener
3. Sarnia
4. Saginaw
5. London
6. Soo
7. Owen Sound
8. Windsor
9. Erie
10. Guelph
I'm curious to hear your reasoning for having the Rangers in 2nd. I know the team that wins the Midwest will finish 2nd, but what depth players do they have to finish there? Am I missing some, or is Gibson going to be the best goalie in the O this year?

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 10:30 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
I'm curious to hear your reasoning for having the Rangers in 2nd. I know the team that wins the Midwest will finish 2nd, but what depth players do they have to finish there? Am I missing some, or is Gibson going to be the best goalie in the O this year?

He may be the best goalie in the O this year, or not, but that won't be enough. Unless something magical happens, Rangers are destined to finish anywhere from 6th to 8th in the conference.

We are too young this year. Right now we have our three OA's (Catenacci, Melchiori, and Jasper), and only one '92 (Crescenzi with Morrison on the way out). Everyone else is younger. We'll be OK but that's it.

I'm thinking Spott will target next year as his year to make a run. Murphy, Gibson, and Rieder all in their last year and guys like Marcantuoni , McEneny and Faksa coming into their own. And Trouba may even report.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 06:45 AM
SimonTemplar

Midwest is a puzzle this year and good luck figuring out who beats who.

By default on the back of Houser , London should be good enough to stay ahead of the building Attack, Rangers and rebuilding Otts, Storm. But how this works out is a mess at this point. Cookie what Tiger was saying is projection of first year guys to second if wildly different. At London last year their first round pick Tierney was far out played by other first year kids picked further down....Rupert twins and who honestly seen that coming. Another kid picked in rnd 4 ( major midget ) Athanasiou caught this whole city off gaurd and roared outta the gate. Erie have a lot of kids like the Soo team so predicting how they will dom with local excitement as the driver is real tough. I see the Soo moving up like Sudbury last year but slowly while the Otts are very young now and the McKegg kid is going to draw the absolute best coverage from other teams that will jam him up. Bassin also has to worry about injuries to his prize trade bait and keep Kegger healthy until trade dealine. This whole conference is a crapshoot but still fun to guess.

Sarnia....score too much
London....seem well balanced already but young.
Plymouth....will be chasing Sting down stretch and may cath them in Feb
Saginaw...should be good team and right behind the other pair in west

now it gets real dicey....and who turns into the seller like Hunter last year.

Windsor
OS
Soo
Erie
Rangers
Guelph.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 07:33 AM
KnightRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
Midwest is a puzzle this year and good luck figuring out who beats who.

By default on the back of Houser , London should be good enough to stay ahead of the building Attack, Rangers and rebuilding Otts, Storm. But how this works out is a mess at this point. Cookie what Tiger was saying is projection of first year guys to second if wildly different. At London last year their first round pick Tierney was far out played by other first year kids picked further down....Rupert twins and who honestly seen that coming. Another kid picked in rnd 4 ( major midget ) Athanasiou caught this whole city off gaurd and roared outta the gate. Erie have a lot of kids like the Soo team so predicting how they will dom with local excitement as the driver is real tough. I see the Soo moving up like Sudbury last year but slowly while the Otts are very young now and the McKegg kid is going to draw the absolute best coverage from other teams that will jam him up. Bassin also has to worry about injuries to his prize trade bait and keep Kegger healthy until trade dealine. This whole conference is a crapshoot but still fun to guess.

Sarnia....score too much
London....seem well balanced already but young.
Plymouth....will be chasing Sting down stretch and may cath them in Feb
Saginaw...should be good team and right behind the other pair in west

now it gets real dicey....and who turns into the seller like Hunter last year.

Windsor
OS
Soo
Erie
Rangers
Guelph.
As far as sellers at the deadline, I agree Erie will get a lot of attention for Mckegg and Thompson. The Rangers won't have much to offer at the deadline aside from maybe a couple of role players for a team making a run, but if they can pick up some draft picks, that will help down the road. It's hard to say with Windsor, but I can see them looking to add help to next years squad as well. I still think Owen Sound has a decent team. They did lose their big guns from a year ago, but a lot of returning players from a team that went to the Mem Cup last year. That experience will help along with great goaltending. Its gonna be a tough year for Storm fans. I don't know much about the Soo, but I would like to see the Cat in London. I also agree that Houser will be out to prove the scouts wrong this year after being passed on in the draft. He was unreal in the playoffs last year against Owen Sound.

That's my 2 cents. We'll see how it plays out.

Old
08-23-2011, 09:27 AM
playthetrap*

1) Plymouth
2) London
3) Sarnia
4) Saginaw
5) Kitchener
6) Soo
7) OS
8) Windsor
9) Erie
10) Guelph

I think this will be similar to last season where there is not a big gap in between top and bottom (parity).

playthetrap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 12:16 PM
jwalk

Quote:
I think the MidWest is going to be pretty weak this year and expect Kitchener, London, and Owen Sound to finish with roughly the same number of points. You could substitute any one of those teams in the second slot but remember the first place winner in that division is the #2 seed. I think they will all finish behind Plymouth, Sarnia, and Saginaw. I believe that kids like Marcantuoni. Rieder, and Francisco could really surprise to the upside if handled properly and give the Rangers the edge.

jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2011, 12:25 PM
playthetrap*

Quote:
I think the MidWest is going to be pretty weak this year and expect Kitchener, London, and Owen Sound to finish with roughly the same number of points. You could substitute any one of those teams in the second slot but remember the first place winner in that division is the #2 seed. I think they will all finish behind Plymouth, Sarnia, and Saginaw. I believe that kids like Marcantuoni. Rieder, and Francisco could really surprise to the upside if handled properly and give the Rangers the edge.
I agree with this. I think Kitchener and London will be very close by the end of the season. One could argue that the Rags are older and have more high end talent but they have lost quite a bit the last two seasons. London is younger as a whole but they have lots of depth and their goaltending is better until Gibson proves himself.

Owen Sound lost too much depth so I think the Midwest is a toss up between Kitchener and London.

Old
08-23-2011, 01:37 PM
KnightRanger

Quote:
The Rangers have 7 returning forwards that played any sort of minutes last year and 4 defence. That's it! When compared to a team like London who pretty much has the whole team back again I just don't see the depth in Kitchener stacking up against London team now a year older or Owen Sound for that matter. Unless these rookies come in and have unbelievable seasons, I just don't see it happening. I hope they can, but to me hope and reality are 2 different things. Plus I see them trading any assets they do have at the deadline to help rebuild which would have them fall in the standings from whereever they are at that time. At the same time, I see London making a couple moves to improve this years roster while not giving up much as they will be strong for both 2012-13 and 2013-14 with the young guys coming in.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:38 AM
bobbygore

Quote:
The Rangers have 7 returning forwards that played any sort of minutes last year and 4 defence. That's it! When compared to a team like London who pretty much has the whole team back again I just don't see the depth in Kitchener stacking up against London team now a year older or Owen Sound for that matter. Unless these rookies come in and have unbelievable seasons, I just don't see it happening. I hope they can, but to me hope and reality are 2 different things. Plus I see them trading any assets they do have at the deadline to help rebuild which would have them fall in the standings from whereever they are at that time. At the same time, I see London making a couple moves to improve this years roster while not giving up much as they will be strong for both 2012-13 and 2013-14 with the young guys coming in.
Knights do have a good core with potential, but let's not lose sight of the fact that they were an eighth place team last year that basically made it into the playoffs because the Sting had a late season collapse. They still have a lot to prove before they can be declared champs of the MidWest. I agree with the idea that division will be a 3 team race between London, Owen Sound, and Kitchener. Probably won't be very many points separating first and third.

bobbygore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:50 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygore View Post
Knights do have a good core with potential, but let's not lose sight of the fact that they were an eighth place team last year that basically made it into the playoffs because the Sting had a late season collapse.
Considering the Sting finished 11 losses in the W/L column and 16 points behind the Knights....this is a bit of a stretch. If not for a 3-7 final 10 by the Knights..they would have finished 6th in the West. London wins the MidWest this year...bank it.

1. Plymouth
2. London
3. Sarnia
4. Kitchener
5. Saginaw
6. Owen Sound
7. Soo
8. Windsor
9. Erie
10. Guelph

Last edited by PhlyerPhanatic: 08-24-2011 at 09:57 AM.
PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 09:55 AM
fanofdo

Quote:
Knights do have a good core with potential, but let's not lose sight of the fact that they were an eighth place team last year that basically made it into the playoffs because the Sting had a late season collapse. They still have a lot to prove before they can be declared champs of the MidWest. I agree with the idea that division will be a 3 team race between London, Owen Sound, and Kitchener. Probably won't be very many points separating first and third.
From watching the OHL over too many years, I have seen how every so often coaches come along that can always seem to produce results that exceed the talent on the team. Currently, I would consider two coaches in the OHL that seem to do this year after year. The first is Mike Velucci and the second is Dale Hunter.

I was able to see all the Knights playoff games last year, both in OS and in London. Right now it is just a minor footnote burried in Owen Sounds great run, but it was one of the best playoff series that I have ever seen. London was clearly less talented but played a perfect team game - Owen Sound, badly out coached and tested to the limit by players with less talent learned a lesson that series that contributed to their success. In fact, I will go out on a limb, although we will never know, that OS would not have won the league had they had a cake walk the first round.

Last year's London players believed in themselves and their team - this is bound to pay dividends. Quite a bit can happen throughout the year that affects the teams success, but it wouldn't surprise me to see London near the top - as long as Dale Hunter is coaching.

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:23 AM
bobbygore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Considering the Sting finished 11 losses in the W/L column and 16 points behind the Knights....this is a bit of a stretch. If not for a 3-7 final 10 by the Knights..they would have finished 6th in the West. London wins the MidWest this year...bank it.

1. Plymouth
2. London
3. Sarnia
4. Kitchener
5. Saginaw
6. Owen Sound
7. Soo
8. Windsor
9. Erie
10. Guelph
Geez thanks for the advice but before I give an eighth place team a free pass to the second spot I may want to see some proof on the ice that it's such a sure thing. IMO first to third in the MidWest maybe separated by only a few points.

bobbygore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Geez thanks for the advice but before I give an eighth place team a free pass to the second spot I may want to see some proof on the ice that it's such a sure thing. IMO first to third in the MidWest maybe separated by only a few points.
OS went from missing the playoffs to OHL Champs...stranger things have happened.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
playthetrap*

Also, not many 8th place teams in the OHL have 34 wins. Kitchener had 38 wins last year and were in 3rd...I rest my case.

Now I may look like a total fool here but I will add OS back in the race for first in the Midwest. Someone also said that Hishon could return but as a first round pick, I doubt he comes back for an OA year.

Any Attack fans have possible line combos?

Old
08-24-2011, 02:57 PM
KnightRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by playthetrap View Post
Also, not many 8th place teams in the OHL have 34 wins. Kitchener had 38 wins last year and were in 3rd...I rest my case.

Now I may look like a total fool here but I will add OS back in the race for first in the Midwest. Someone also said that Hishon could return but as a first round pick, I doubt he comes back for an OA year.

Any Attack fans have possible line combos?
Catenacci will now be on the top line!!!

Old
08-24-2011, 05:20 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

With the Sound now hooking Catenacci for what I think was a steal...I'll bump Owen Sound up to 5th and Saginaw down 1 spot from my original predictions.

1. Plymouth
2. London
3. Sarnia
4. Kitchener
5. Owen Sound
6. Saginaw
7. Soo
8. Windsor
9. Erie
10. Guelph

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old