HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Article: Islanders make the playoffs as a sleeper team

Old
08-09-2011, 01:34 AM
LetsGoIslanders

vCash: 500
Article: Islanders make the playoffs as a sleeper team

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/allen/2011-08-07-nhl-islanders-sleeper-team-east_n.htm

My thoughts:

-If the Islanders add a top-4 d-man without sacrificing a top-6 forward, this is possible.

-**** Nabokov, Montoya played out of his mind for the Isles. If Montoya/Poulin/DiPietro is the tandem for the Islanders, they are set at goal.

-Capuano is one of the most mediocre AHL coaches on earth, but for some reason he inspires his NHLers.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Montoya Poulin Di Pietro doesnt sound very good to me

That's like Toskala/Mcdonald territory

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:51 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Montoya was adequate. He certainly wasn't 'out of his mind'.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:32 AM
BMOK33

It will not surprise me at all if the Islanders make the playoffs. People often tend to overestimate the importance of goaltending during the regular season. We have seen many teams make the playoffs over the years with below average goaltending during the season. The fact is that you play so many games vs. poor teams during the regular season and will catch enough better teams on off nights that if you have an above average offense which IMO the Isles now have and a semi respectable defense you can get by with average goaltending and win 40 games which is usually enough to get you in the top 8. Montoya IMO is better than what several other teams have out there and DiPietro when healthy is at the very least a slightly above average goaltender and he is exceptional in shootouts which can allow the Isles to steal a few big points during the season. I said in the Isles thread I could see this team finishing as high as 5th in the East. Their offense has the potential to be in the top 5 in the Eastern Conference, they scored more goals last year than 3 of the 8 playoff teams and all but one of the teams which did not make the postseason (Carolina who had several 7 goal+ games). This was all with missing Okposo for alot of the year and Streit the entire season. Streit should help the defense and the younger guys should improve somewhat, despite being 27th in GA last year they were 12th in PK percentage. They allowed 264 goals last year, if they can chop that to 230 I think they make the playoffs.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:27 AM
capebretoncanadien

hell no

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

I've been calling it since the playoffs ended. They're my darkhorse for this year.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:38 AM
Penslaaja

Nabokov is still their best goalie.

Penslaaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:37 AM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penslaaja View Post
Nabokov is still their best goalie.
DiPietro is a better goalie than Nabokov if you ask me. He has not necessarily had the opportunity to show it but Nabokov had some pretty average numbers at times considering he was back stopping a team with over 90 points all but that one bad 02-03 season San Jose had. Classic example 2009, he was 41-12-8 yet had only a .910 save percentage...very low for a nearly 30 game over .500 win-loss record.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 04:54 AM
boredmale

I say the Islanders get 80-95 points, so if they can get the high end of that(92-95 points) they might be able to squeak in

On the plus side Streit will come back and Okposo will be here for a full season. I think very good chance the Islanders finish top 10 in Goal For.

On the negative side goaltending a huge question, and while the defense is getting better then it's been the past few seasons, it's still below average compared to other teams. I see the team finishing bottom 10 Goals Against. If 3 or 4 players go down for an extended time the Islanders are also in trouble(and given there track record for injuries the past few years that not out of the question)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Rob Scuderi

With how open the East always is I guess its not out of the realm of possibility they sneak in but I'm not sure how you could view it as any more than highly improbable. Montoya hasn't shown anything before that stint last year that he's capable of leading a team to the postseason. DiPietro will be lucky to make it through the year without spending months on the IR. And Nabby has definitely gotten underrated since leaving SJ, but that doesn't change the fact he's already 36 and probably only on the decline from here on out.

The Isles have a pretty solid forward core and are one top 4 d, in addition to figuring out their future goalie situation such as Poulin developing into a regular NHLer, from looking like another team who'll be in that fight for the bottom spots in the East.

There's no chance they'll be better than WSH, PIT, NYR, BUF, BOS, PHI, MON or Tampa. That means they'd have to beat out Carolina, New Jersey, or Toronto, in addition to those 8 teams who look to have a pretty good shot of holding down a playoff spot. Again not too likely imo but injuries could definitely change things up but I don't know how they could be viewed as better than any of those teams right now.

Also the Atlantic Division is going to do them no favors as they look to be the weakest team there right now. I just don't see how they can overcome that difficult schedule and battle past some of the more talented teams on paper.

I think they have just a lesser chance of making it than Toronto who would also be a bit of a surprise team, at least from right now when teams are just on paper and we haven't seen how they're newer pieces will fit in.

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 08-09-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
With how open the East always is I guess its not out of the realm of possibility they sneak in but I'm not sure how you could view it as any more than highly improbable. Montoya hasn't shown anything before that stint last year that he's capable of leading a team to the postseason. DiPietro will be lucky to make it through the year without spending months on the IR. And Nabby has definitely gotten underrated since leaving SJ, but that doesn't change the fact he's already 36 and probably only on the decline from here on out.

The Isles have a pretty solid forward core and are one top 4 d, in addition to figuring out their future goalie situation such as Poulin developing into a regular NHLer, from looking like another team who'll be in that fight for the bottom spots in the East.

There's no chance they'll be better than WSH, PIT, NYR, BUF, BOS, PHI, or Tampa. That means they'd have to beat out Carolina, New Jersey, or Toronto for the 8th spot. Again not too likely imo but injuries could definitely change things up but I don't know how they could be viewed as better than any of those teams right now.

Also the Atlantic Division is going to do them no favors as they look to be the weakest team there right now. I just don't see how they can overcome that difficult schedule and battle past some of the more talented teams on paper.

I think they have just a lesser chance of making it than Toronto who would also be a bit of a surprise team, at least from right now when teams are just on paper and we haven't seen how they're newer pieces will fit in.
Where's Montreal?

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:34 AM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Where's Montreal?
Thanks I kept changing my list around and musta forgot to put them back in it

Old
08-09-2011, 06:36 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

If you look at last season and take away the 20 game non-win streak, and then consider that from January on, the Isles were the second best team in the league...to me, that adds up to having a shot at the playoffs.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
If you look at last season and take away the 20 game non-win streak, and then consider that from January on, the Isles were the second best team in the league...to me, that adds up to having a shot at the playoffs.
Same can be said for New Jersey, and frankly I'd take their chances of pulling it off over the Isles

Old
08-09-2011, 06:38 AM
CGG

Quote:
That's Leafs fan logic. Prorate the good part and pretend you can keep it up all year. If you take away bad streaks for all teams they'll all look good. Unfortunately you have to be good for 82 games to get in.

Not next season, Islanders. Maybe the one after that.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
Thanks I kept changing my list around and musta forgot to put them back in it
No problem, I'm glad I was able to help you.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Tanner Glass
Tanner 'C'lass GOAT

Quote:

15-19-7

Are you that guy that said the Leafs had the best record post all star break, when they barely broke even

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:13 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I think they could surprise. Tavares and the rest of their young talent is going to be better. Nabokhov's a great goalie. They could be a team to watch next year for 1 of the bottom 2 playoff spots in the East.

08-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Isles will be feisty for sure. I won't count them out

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Kessley Snipes

Based on last seasons standings they have to pass an improved Toronto, Carolina and New Jersey. This isn't even counting Winnipeg, Ottawa and an improved Panthers.

Good luck NYI haha.

Kessley Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Fairenough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blader258 View Post
Based on last seasons standings they have to pass an improved Toronto, Carolina and New Jersey. This isn't even counting Winnipeg, Ottawa and an improved Panthers.

Good luck NYI haha.

You replaced Kaberle with a poor man's Kaberle (Liles)
You replaced Beauchemin with a guy who also needs to be sheltered (Franson)

Again, how good was your D with those 2 guys? Reality check...you removed two players and you replaced them with similar products. You didn't improve much (if at all).

Oh, sorry...I forgot that you added Tim Connolly as your 1st-line center.

Fairenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:29 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenough View Post
You replaced Kaberle with a poor man's Kaberle (Liles)
You replaced Beauchemin with a guy who also needs to be sheltered (Franson)

Again, how good was your D with those 2 guys? Reality check...you removed two players and you replaced them with similar products. You didn't improve much (if at all).

Oh, sorry...I forgot that you added Tim Connolly as your 1st-line center.
Yeahh But Reimer is god.....he will win the Vezina conn smyth and somhow the Norris.....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 09:31 AM
StrongIslanders90

I love my Isles and they Should have a better season and No 20 game loosing streak but I dont see NJ being as bad as they were last year.....and the Isles if they are to make the Playoffs it will have to be 7 or 8 seed.....I hope so but At this point I dont see it...

Old
08-09-2011, 09:32 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
That's Leafs fan logic. Prorate the good part and pretend you can keep it up all year. If you take away bad streaks for all teams they'll all look good. Unfortunately you have to be good for 82 games to get in.

Not next season, Islanders. Maybe the one after that.
This is True

Old
08-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
"The requested document was not found."

sounds like a made up story for an isles fan looking for some validation..just a thought

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote