HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

A single stanley Cup :)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2011, 01:48 PM
  #76
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
But that's not what's being asked. That's under the assumption that a fanbase would trade a Cup win for years of success down the line. And I don't think anyone would do that.

But would you trade years of success down the line for a Cup win? If the Islanders could win the Cup next season, then go back to the position they've been in for the next decade, would the fanbase be OK with it?

I think an important question to ask is: If we're the one making this deal, are we aware of the choice we made? Because a lot of the season is about the hunt. I couldn't watch a team, being 100% certain that they're going to finish in the basement for the next 10 years. There's no intrigue there. However, if I made the deal, but was unaware of the consequences (say the deal was magically erased from memory), then I'd have an easier time doing it.
The way I see it, 29 fan bases are upset after each season. I would give up a lot for the guarantee to be that 30th team.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:50 PM
  #77
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,505
vCash: 500
1 - What would you currently be willing to offer as the GM of your current team to assure you a cup ?.

not a ton,the Wings win plenty of cups as it is

a mediocre piece or two I guess,no roster players like Datsyuk/Zetterberg or prospects like Smith

2 - Lets imagine you could trade a cup, for future years being the worst team in the league. How many future years spend as a painfully mediocre 30th overall team would you be willing to trade for the cup ?

0 or 1 not sure

the only reason I would consider 1 is just because that would be kinda funny and I don't think it's ever happened before though

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 01:54 PM
  #78
Galchenfou
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 456
vCash: 500
As a habs fan, I'd be willing to trade one of our 24 for crosby

Galchenfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:05 PM
  #79
MajorMystery16
Registered User
 
MajorMystery16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
I dunno. It hasn't been a fun few years being a Leaf fan. I personally would prefer being a consistent contender and possibly winning the cup than going for a sure thing and hanging around the basement for 10 years. Detroit has an ideal situation going on. Competitive team that always seems to have a chance at making a run for the cup. That being said, my dad, uncles, grandpas and myself would love to see the cup in Toronto.

MajorMystery16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
  #80
xking23
Petersson
 
xking23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,313
vCash: 500
As a Sens fan, I don't know if I would trade anything for a single cup. I mean let's say it means our future of Rundblad, Cowen, Karlsson, and 5 years of first round picks to anyone in our division. I really wouldn't want to do it seeing how I am giving up everything for one cup win, and have no way to rebuild from it afterwards. In fact just 5 firsts for a cup win and then a sudden downwards spiral needing a rebuild the next year. Means I am giving a rival 4 top five picks (presumably 1st overall picks).

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:45 PM
  #81
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!
 
CPHawksFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Crown Point, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,741
vCash: 500
I would spend an entire summer in CAP HELL just to win one Cup.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:46 PM
  #82
Ralphy
 
Ralphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 自宅
Country: Canada
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
I'd lose a toe and bang Rosie O' Donnell for the Leafs to win.

That being said, I'd rather not have another 6 years of no playoffs following.
Also, a "guaranteed Cup win" is not nearly as exciting as wondering "will they do it?" and what not.

Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:49 PM
  #83
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan79 View Post
Well, unless you are the Florida Marlins, then normally if your franchise is fortunate enough to win a championship, then there usually is a honeymoon period for at least a couple of years after you win where you are in the good graces of fans and you pretty much can't do anything wrong unless you are exceptionally incompetent, or ownership is forced to sell off everything. Furthermore, unless you're in the aforementioned situation where you have to sell off everything, you usually are at least competitive enough to not sink completely out of the picture. This is why I disagree a bit with the premise of the question, if you are good enough to win a cup, then you probably won't be horrible enough to suck for years afterwards.
Works differently for Hockey than baseball. Hockey is not an established sport in every market of the US like baseball is. Several years of bottom feeding could be enough to destroy several US markets.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 02:53 PM
  #84
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 33,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacklundtoBartschi View Post
Maybe they would have won the cup without Niewendyk, AND just gave a hall of famer away.

That's a huge possibility that's being missed in this scenario. Iginla was already a 30-60 type player on a bad Calgary team when Dallas won the Cup. Nieuwy had a great playoff run that spring, but he was on a decline and didn't do anything remarkable in Dallas after that. Two years later Dallas was out of the playoffs, and despite a brief resurgence under Tippett they weren't really a force after that.

But... add a prime, 50-100 Iginla to their lineup and they would have been pretty nasty. For example in 03-04...

Lehtinen - Modano - Iginla
Morrow - Arnott - Guerin
Miettinen - Turgeon - DiMaio
Corson - Barnes - Ott/Young

I would want nothing to do with a playoff series against that team.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
  #85
Oshie97
Registered User
 
Oshie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,435
vCash: 500
Teams would trade anything for a cup but do you take the chance of breaking up a possible dynasty for one? What if you have a couple players that look like they will be future stars during a run for the cup, do you trade them for a vet to make the push knowing that they would be a big part of your franchise for yrs to come. Gm's have a hard job, the decisions they make can wreak a team when they are going after the cup for one yr.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:05 PM
  #86
PRMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
As a Kings fan for over 30-35 years, I would literally trade anyone and everyone for a single Cup. I don't care if we're bad for another 40 years after that. I'm used to it.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:11 PM
  #87
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
As a Kings fan for over 30-35 years, I would literally trade anyone and everyone for a single Cup. I don't care if we're bad for another 40 years after that. I'm used to it.

No, dude. Dean's going for the dynasty team. We're going to be the first team in more than 25 years to win 3 or more Cups in a row!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:20 PM
  #88
Mansfield
possession obsession
 
Mansfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy View Post
I'd lose a toe and bang Rosie O' Donnell for the Leafs to win.

That being said, I'd rather not have another 6 years of no playoffs following.
Also, a "guaranteed Cup win" is not nearly as exciting as wondering "will they do it?" and what not.
But the real question is: Would you bang Rosie O'Donnell with your toe?

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:21 PM
  #89
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
As a Kings fan for over 30-35 years, I would literally trade anyone and everyone for a single Cup. I don't care if we're bad for another 40 years after that. I'm used to it.
As a Canuck fan, I feel your pain. The whole roster and both my knees to see a guarenteed cup.

But the problem is, I'm sure it would be a lot less satisfying to have a cup handed to you as part of an arranged deal then it would be to earn one. Catch-22 eh?

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:22 PM
  #90
Ralphy
 
Ralphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 自宅
Country: Canada
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
But the real question is: Would you bang Rosie O'Donnell with your toe?
I'd prefer to use my toe !

Ralphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:25 PM
  #91
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy
 
Kaner Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
From the fan's perspective: take the cup

From the owner's perspective: the NHL is a business, so the bottom line comes first. What would this mythical trade-off do for my team's long term solvency? I might prefer a team that is competitive long term, but doesn't win a cup to one that wins a cup, then is irrelevant for decades.

Kaner Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:27 PM
  #92
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 500
Calgary most certainly didn't "lose" the trade. Remember that hockey is a TEAM game and Nieuwendyk didn't win the Cup for Dallas all by himself. The point that I am making? That Nieuwendyk wouldn't have won a Cup for a rebuilding Flames team, so getting the Iginla was huge. Does anyone think a declining Nieuwendyk gets the Flames anywhere close to the finals? Even though Edmonton won a Cup after trading Gretzky and Gretzky won zilch after that, who can make an argument that Edmonton "won?" Trades deal with just a component of a roster; this is not a vacuum in which all team's are of the same caliber and we judge by amount of Cups the traded players "won."

But it's also a win for Dallas.


Last edited by malPHONEY: 08-09-2011 at 03:42 PM.
malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:45 PM
  #93
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Back in 1995 Dallas traded Prospect Iginla for Nieuwendyk.

and then win the cup, was it a right move or a mistake ?

This introduction bring me to the question im asking you now: if acquiring a future UFA at the deadline could Guarantee you at 100% your team would win the cup by the end of the year.

How much of your current team/future would you be willing to sacrifice to get the cup.

Is there a line to be draw ? Or a team should go all-in and trade as much as possible for it ?

So the question come in two part:

1 - What would you currently be willing to offer as the GM of your current team to assure you a cup ?.

2 - Lets imagine you could trade a cup, for future years being the worst team in the league. How many future years spend as a painfully mediocre 30th overall team would you be willing to trade for the cup ?
They won a Cup, lost in a Cup Final and were a dominate team in the NHL for years after that trade. Sure Iginla is a star and is a difference maker, but he was 18 at the time of the trade and no one knew the upside, and he wouldn't have been the factor in their Cups and dominace at the time.

It was a trade that paid off for the Stars and Flames.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:47 PM
  #94
committedindian86
Flip The Switch
 
committedindian86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,038
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
i would take a decade of futility for one cup.
Try a lifetime of futility. Last year was worth every year of heartache and backstabbing by management and ownership.

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 03:54 PM
  #95
Devils Mike*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,989
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
I wouldn't trade Brodeur now for a cup, past or future.


In the past it would obviously be stupid because 3 cups is obviously better then 1 and without Brodeur we'd never win a cup (except the "guaranteed" one)

And why I wouldn't trade Brodeur now for a cup because of everything he gave for this franchise and the fact that he should never have a jersey that isn't a Devils jersey.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 05:23 PM
  #96
HockeyGuruPitka
Registered User
 
HockeyGuruPitka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Luck View Post
I wouldn't trade Brodeur now for a cup, past or future.


In the past it would obviously be stupid because 3 cups is obviously better then 1 and without Brodeur we'd never win a cup (except the "guaranteed" one)

And why I wouldn't trade Brodeur now for a cup because of everything he gave for this franchise and the fact that he should never have a jersey that isn't a Devils jersey.
This is easy to sayy when all is said and done. Let's go to the beggining of brodeurs era and ask you whether or not you would trade him to win the cup.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 05:43 PM
  #97
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 34,143
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
genius move... they won the cup. It's that simple.

Porn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:41 PM
  #98
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,111
vCash: 50
I'd be willing to see everyone on the Flames go except Iginla. Nobody "deserves" to win the cup per se, but he comes as close as anyone does.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 07:53 PM
  #99
Yitz
Registered User
 
Yitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
I would trade absolutely anything if it meant I'd 100% win the cup. Anyone who says otherwise lacks a winning mentality.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
  #100
MrVisser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
Try a lifetime of futility. Last year was worth every year of heartache and backstabbing by management and ownership.
You'd be happy if your team never won the cup again for as long as you live?

I'd like to punch the HF poster who said they'd trade a lifetime of futility for a Leaf Cup in 1967.

MrVisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.