HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Weber Auction

Old
08-12-2011, 09:09 AM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Saying **** like this shouldn't be allowed to happen when you're making the offer for Weber.
Why?
There are a scarcity of premium players. Trading one is usually like Coke for Pepsi; unless there is some complementary angle which is synergistic, a gain that might be realized is not that likely to be that big, because while you've gained a lot, you've surrendered a lot. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

I agree with critics of quantity for quality ONLY IF AND WHEN the quantity is crap, so the deal is an insulting something for nothing.

However, if you give up ENOUGH MULTIPLE good assets, you provide value and demonstrate consideration for obtaining a premium player.

Marc Staal should not be dealt for Weber for the above reasons.
Girardi + is another matter.

In the same way, while Thomas is advancing nicely, showing he's not chopped liver, Kreider is the bluest blue chip Rangers have.

My post proved I gave what reasonable expectation was sought by a Preds fan, with enough over. There were a handful of throw-ins, but the core of the deal clearly addressed and provided what was demanded as to that particular option.

So yeah, no Kreider.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan1989 View Post
The thing is tho, nashville doesnt want a rental player. Hemsky would be a rental player for nashville... To the bolded part, edmonton has to worry about locking up hall, ebs, mps long term b4 we try and worry about signing weber to a multi year deal worth 7.5+million/season... Yes weber would be nice to have.. any team would love to have him.. im sure hemsky wouldnt agree to a sign and trade, and i dont think weber would either. ( or a trade and sign ).. There will be better deals out there for nashville then the one you offered...( im not saying yours was terrible)...

A healthy hemsky would be a huge offensive upgrade on there current roster, but i dont think many teams are going to take that chance of trading a big name player for a injury riddled hemsky at this point and time..

The only way i see getting nashvilles attention is with hall.ebs.mps.rnh + (that + could be hemsky)

You dont trade your best player ( 1 of the best dman in the league and 1 of nashvilles best prospect) for an injury prone player, a 4th or 5th dman, a potenial 3rd line center and a 1st round pick..... calgary could give a better offer than that..

Like all nashville fans have said, they need a huge offensive upgrade, and i dont think an injury prone hemsky is gna be that savior
Your characterization of this deal is a little off, no? Hemsky isn't just some "injury prone" "rental player", the fact is, when he is healthy, he is a bonafide first line talent, who Nashville has all season to sign. He can't blow out a shoulder every year can he? Smid is a 25 year old d-man, who is steadly getting better, and is still ahead of the curve for his age. He isn't just some "4th-5th" defenseman, he is an improving player with at least 5-10 years of high level hockey left in him. It's also fair to say Nashville may like him quite a bit, as he was rumored to be going to Nashville for Blum at the deadline. Pitlick has the potential to be a big, two-way, middle 6 forward, which despite your attempts to devalue him with blanket statements, along with his pedigree, make him a pretty valuable prospect. He is far too young, and succesful, for anyone to be putting a ceiling like "potential 3rd line center" on him. And most glaringly, Two first rounders, and two seconds is not the same as a "1st round pick", those are major assets your glazing over.

On your suggestion of trade bait, no team i can think of is going to send a Hall, or Hopkins, especially bundled with a near ppg forward like Hemsky, as you suggested. Schenn a player coming off a similar junior career as Eberle, was the center piece in the deal that landed LA, a high end center in Richards. So even if they did move Eberle, they probably wouldn't have to add as much as you think. Paajarvi is doubtful just because his skillset is sorley needed on the Oilers right now, but certainly more realistic than Hall+ (which is ludicrous). No well managed team is going to gut their core, or create another hole just as glaring, by making a deal to fill a weakness.

So I ask you two questions: If there are other teams, as you say, that can and will offer more, then give some examples? If you don't think it is terrible what would you change about it to make it more palatable from Nashville's end, while keeping in mind my closing statements?

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Your characterization of this deal is a little off, no? Hemsky isn't just some "injury prone" "rental player", the fact is, when he is healthy, he is a bonafide first line talent, who Nashville has all season to sign. He can't blow out a shoulder every year can he? Smid is a 25 year old d-man, who is steadly getting better, and is still ahead of the curve for his age. He isn't just some "4th-5th" defenseman, he is an improving player with at least 5-10 years of high level hockey left in him. It's also fair to say Nashville may like him quite a bit, as he was rumored to be going to Nashville for Blum at the deadline. Pitlick has the potential to be a big, two-way, middle 6 forward, which despite your attempts to devalue him with blanket statements, along with his pedigree, make him a pretty valuable prospect. He is far too young, and succesful, for anyone to be putting a ceiling like "potential 3rd line center" on him. And most glaringly, Two first rounders, and two seconds is not the same as a "1st round pick", those are major assets your glazing over.

On your suggestion of trade bait, no team i can think of is going to send a Hall, or Hopkins, especially bundled with a near ppg forward like Hemsky, as you suggested. Schenn a player coming off a similar junior career as Eberle, was the center piece in the deal that landed LA, a high end center in Richards. So even if they did move Eberle, they probably wouldn't have to add as much as you think. Paajarvi is doubtful just because his skillset is sorley needed on the Oilers right now, but certainly more realistic than Hall+ (which is ludicrous). No well managed team is going to gut their core, or create another hole just as glaring, by making a deal to fill a weakness.

So I ask you two questions: If there are other teams, as you say, that can and will offer more, then give some examples? If you don't think it is terrible what would you change about it to make it more palatable from Nashville's end, while keeping in mind my closing statements?

This was the purpose of starting this thread. I see alot, not all, but alot of Preds fans shooting down every proposal and saying they could get "WAY" more. I was just curious about what Preds fans expectations of value are compared to other fanbases.

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Oleg Petrov

Plekanec
Cammalleri
1st in 2012

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:30 PM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Markov
Kostitsyn
Kristo
1st
Thats probably one of the best offers for Weber ive seen on HF and im a leafs fan

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:35 PM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Change Hamilton to Corvo for salary purposes and I'd make that trade. I think it makes us a better team:

Hornqvist-Krejci-Erat
Kostitsyn-Legwand-Fisher
Wilson-O'Reilly-Bergfors
Spaling-Smithson-Tootoo
Halischuk, Stortini

Suter-Corvo
Blum-Klein
Josi-Laakso
Hillen

Rinne
Lindback

The defense is a bit iffy, but having a world-class goaltender as opposed to Dan Ellis means the kids have a little extra slack to develop.
Are you a Boston fan? cuz if not why the hell would nashville switch out Dougie Hamilton for Joe Corvo?

Old
08-12-2011, 05:42 PM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Hjalmarsson
Frolik
Beach

For

Weber
this is hilarious

Old
08-12-2011, 05:46 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
The closest the Leafs can offer would be:

Schenn
Kulemin
1st

But really no point as Phaneuf and Weber play a similar game.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote