HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doughty Contract Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2011, 12:15 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The movie of course. Doughty should follow the Jean-Claude Van Damme summer training regimen: performing splits on chairs and training blind.
For Brad Pitt?

Old
08-10-2011, 12:39 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Bloodsport is on Versus right now. News just doesn't get any more positive than that.
THIS

Old
08-10-2011, 12:43 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Just a reminder, no fat jokes.

Old
08-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Just a reminder, no fat jokes.
What?

Why not? Does Doughty read this forum?

It could be a sticking point in the negotiations. I'm sure his fitness level last season is a concern for Lombardi.

Old
08-10-2011, 12:59 AM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
What?

It could be a sticking point in the negotiations. I'm sure his fitness level last season is a concern for Lombardi.
well there is fat people on this board so we might offend some people.

Old
08-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Qubax

Can Doughty hold out? I thought in situations with RFA's if a player and the team can't come to an agreement they'll go to arbitration...

Is this not the case? I thought that was why arbitration was invented...

Old
08-10-2011, 01:45 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
Can Doughty hold out? I thought in situations with RFA's if a player and the team can't come to an agreement they'll go to arbitration...

Is this not the case? I thought that was why arbitration was invented...
He can't go to arbitration. Contract must be worked out by Dec 1 or he just sits out for a year.

Old
08-10-2011, 01:57 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
well there is fat people on this board so we might offend some people.
Aside from being offensive to some, they stopped being funny 6 months ago. Enough already.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Nex06

I have never made a fat Doughty joke and I didn't like them, but to remove them as a rule is a mistake IMHO. One step towards "If you are not with me, you are against me" policy - never a good thing for an internet forum.

I don't think any professional hockey player should be even 5% fat and I don't care if it's Doughty, Kopitar or Penner. The club pays them to be in superb condition, condition that us mortals with office jobs can only dream of. And I have seen all 3 of them being overweight in the past...

Old
08-10-2011, 11:17 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
I have never made a fat Doughty joke and I didn't like them, but to remove them as a rule is a mistake IMHO. One step towards "If you are not with me, you are against me" policy - never a good thing for an internet forum.
Aside from it being completely inaccurate given that Doughty is in extremely good shape physically, we don't allow offensive posts. Some people take offense to those kinds of jokes.

We have a lot of rules on this site to keep the content quality higher than average. In some cases this may seem strict, but frankly people aren't coming to a Doughty contract thread to brush up on their fat jokes.

If you'd like to discuss this further, feel free to send any of us a PM as discussions of rules and actions of moderators aren't allowed in the forums.

Thanks...

Old
08-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Nex06

I don't think he is in extremely good shape, at least he wasn't last season. I realize that people are physically different but I still find person's face to be a very good indicator of body fat %. Especially if I see that the face is changing from being "well defined" to a more "rounded" kind of a face. It shows that person gained some extra fat, plain and simple.

I have never considered Kopitar's or Doughty's physical conditioning to be really problematic, after all they are TOI leaders, they must be in a very good shape. But if you can get in even better shape by losing 4 pounds of fat, I think that every pro athlete should have done it. Am I wrong?

As for fat Doughty jokes, I am happy they are gone, I just hope that people don't get offended by me disagreeing with them next. J/K, I think you guys are doing good job.

Old
08-10-2011, 12:27 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
I don't think he is in extremely good shape, at least he wasn't last season.
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/995...7625779343239/

Pic from last season. Doughty is the shirtless one on the right.

He definitely had issues with stamina last season. Conditioning needed to be better, but as far as physical shape, as you can see, he was in excellent shape.

Quote:
As for fat Doughty jokes, I am happy they are gone, I just hope that people don't get offended by me disagreeing with them next. J/K, I think you guys are doing good job.

Old
08-10-2011, 01:07 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I don't think he is in extremely good shape, at least he wasn't last season. I realize that people are physically different but I still find person's face to be a very good indicator of body fat %. Especially if I see that the face is changing from being "well defined" to a more "rounded" kind of a face. It shows that person gained some extra fat, plain and simple.

I have never considered Kopitar's or Doughty's physical conditioning to be really problematic, after all they are TOI leaders, they must be in a very good shape. But if you can get in even better shape by losing 4 pounds of fat, I think that every pro athlete should have done it. Am I wrong?

I think the issues with Kopitar and Doughty are mostly cardio and recovery time. With the ice time we need these two players to eat up in order to be the best team the Kings can be they need to be at the top of the charts in that category, not in the middle or in the bottom half.

Having Richards is going to take some pressure off of Kopitar.

And if you miss the jokes, there is a site that doesn't mind...

Old
08-10-2011, 01:13 PM
JT8888

Quote:

He definitely had issues with stamina last season. Conditioning needed to be better, but as far as physical shape, as you can see, he was in excellent shape.

It's really creepy that we have started posting shirtless pics of doughty but it's even creepier that I looked at it to see if he was in shape

Old
08-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:

I remember that was from about halfway through the season, too. Hopefully that will put an end to the speculation that he's fat. I do think he could be in better cardio shape, though.

Old
08-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think more or less the "Drew Doughty is fat" stuff has become a joke and a parody on these forums, least in my eyes, as clearly that is far removed from the truth. He was considerably more out of shape in juniors and that didn't stop him from being a dominant teenager. I think the same was said about Ray Bourque and his conditioning early in his career.

Old
08-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
I think more or less the "Drew Doughty is fat" stuff has become a joke and a parody on these forums, least in my eyes, as clearly that is far removed from the truth. He was considerably more out of shape in juniors and that didn't stop him from being a dominant teenager. I think the same was said about Ray Bourque and his conditioning early in his career.
Maybe, but I think some people believe he's actually fat for a hockey player, which he clearly is not. Now, cardio conditioning is a whole other thing...

One major difference I saw in Doughty last season was that he lacked the explosiveness he had in his second season. In his Norris-candidate season, he was able to pull away from forecheckers much quicker than he could last season. I'm wondering if he didn't focus on quickness as much last offseason as he did in the prior one...

Old
08-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
It's really creepy that we have started posting shirtless pics of doughty but it's even creepier that I looked at it to see if he was in shape
At least I'm not the only one...

Old
08-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Maybe, but I think some people believe he's actually fat for a hockey player, which he clearly is not.
And that's the easily the best part of it.

Old
08-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Johnny Utah

That pic surprises me, but he is def in shape.

Old
08-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Magicman

Quote:

Maybe you need to ban yourself from an incredibly stupid and uninformed statement.

He was #5 in TOI last season. Stamina/Conditioning my rear.

You cannot have poor conditioning and stamina and play that much, including rushes up and down the ice and be #5 in TOI.

Joke

Old
08-10-2011, 03:20 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman View Post
Maybe you need to ban yourself from an incredibly stupid and uninformed statement.

You cannot have poor conditioning and stamina and play that much, including rushes up and down the ice and be #5 in TOI.

Joke
Hey Man, what's your percentage?

Old
08-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman View Post

Joke
Just because he played all those minutes doesn't mean he was exerting himself to his full potential that entire time.

Old
08-10-2011, 04:01 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
but frankly people aren't coming to a Doughty contract thread to brush up on their fat jokes.
Speak for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Just because he played all those minutes doesn't mean he was exerting himself to his full potential that entire time.
As a decidedly out-of-shape defenseman myself, I can attest to the truth of that statement.

Old
08-10-2011, 04:06 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
Speak for yourself.
Well, Tony's a good moderator, so you have a SLIM chance of finding any jokes here.

Closed Thread