HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Streit

Old
05-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Yashin for President

vCash: 500
Streit

I know his contract is not up yet but I would not let his contract expire or trade him during his contract year. I say lock him up for the rest of his career as an Islander. He loves it here, top defenseman, class act, good mentor for younger dmen, even in his later years I see him as a top pairing defensemen just like Lidstrom in Detroit. I'm not saying Streit is Lidtrom but Streits presence and leadership is that important to the Islanders. I think he has 2 seasons left on his contract if I am not mistaken. That would mean that he would be 35 years old. Even at 35, Streit still gets some decent offers as a free agent. Summer of 2012 Snow should and will wrap this up.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Pnut

YfP
It is 2 more seasons

Streit is my favorite for sure........but he did miss last season, so he has a lot to prove. It is not a guarantee that he regains his form. Its not the right time. His recent injury + uncertainty involving the lighthouse + him having 2 years left still (not 1 yr) = not done yet.

Snow has shown being adept to signing guys at the right time at good rates. plus he has RFAs Bailey, Okposo, Joensuu, Comeau, Wishart, Hillen and Chef and UFAs Konopka, Gillies, Hail Storm, Reeses Pieces. He has other **** on his plate to decide on individually. Much more important IMHO.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:33 AM
Yashin for President

By summer of 2012, next year, Snow does this. As far as having something to prove, it would just be a physical thing. I still dont see any free agents of his caliber coming here anytime soon.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:58 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

As long as the injury doesn't effect him for the rest of his career

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
due to him being major injury free until this point plus coming into the league late plus not taking a lot of physical abuse id say he could play for a while. but we need to see how he plays after that shoulder injury and then still take contract negotiations slow.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
but we need to see how he plays after that shoulder injury and then still take contract negotiations slow.
Yes. Absolutely zero need to make plans for his next contract right now.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Islander Prophet

Streit....is simply everything for the Isles...If he comes back to his old form (I pray to God he will), he's must to keep

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:39 PM
kasper11

Wow is it early to talk about this. I don't see any need to talk contract with Streit until January 2013. Lets see how he is playing at 35, and lets also see where this team is then, what its needs are, and how much money it has to spend. Two years is a very, very long time from now.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:01 AM
OlTimeHockey

Streit was healthy his second year and not nearly as good as he was his first year.

Let's let it play out. Pretend we were the Red Wings before we lock up the guys forever. Lids won the Norris six times....he gets a lifetime contract. Streit has been great one year, good another. Let's up our standards and keep him signed but not sign him to Yashin Pt.III.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 01:51 PM
byeyimini

some Streit talk

Guys, I can't find anything on his health for this upcoming season. Is he 100% again ? Thanks !

byeyimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 02:36 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Streit was healthy his second year and not nearly as good as he was his first year.

Let's let it play out. Pretend we were the Red Wings before we lock up the guys forever. Lids won the Norris six times....he gets a lifetime contract. Streit has been great one year, good another. Let's up our standards and keep him signed but not sign him to Yashin Pt.III.

/end thread.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 03:55 PM
IslesandHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by byeyimini View Post
Guys, I can't find anything on his health for this upcoming season. Is he 100% again ? Thanks !
The fact that you aren't finding anything on his health is more good than bad... The only reason you would really hear something this far away from the season is if something went wrong (aka last year). So take it as a good sign, but all signs pointed to him recovering fully anyway. Whether it translates to a good year is yet to be seen...

IslesandHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:05 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
That would mean that he would be 35 years old. Even at 35, Streit still gets some decent offers as a free agent. Summer of 2012 Snow should and will wrap this up.
He's only played 5 seasons and 361 games in the NHL. Being 35 doesn't mean he's done.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Islanderfan17

Let's see how he rebounds from his injury this season, we want to make sure we're getting everything we can out of him.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 05:42 PM
TheZec

He is practicising in Switzerland with SC Bern... so I think the shoulder schould be fully healed!

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 05:57 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Locking him up "for the rest of his career" would be a mistake. he had one good year and one year he struggled up to the all star game, plus a long term injury afterwards The wise choice here is waiting a year to see what you have, good, bad, or injured. The surgery he had could have a long term impact on his game.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 05:58 PM
StrongIslanders90

Lets see what hes like next season before we talk extention....And those concernd about his age remember he was drafted late 20's and didnt play top min until he came to NY....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote