HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Talk LW Trade Options

Old
08-10-2011, 01:13 PM
xxxZENxxx

vCash: 500
@RangersEsq

I am just saying that you absolutely cannot deal McD unless you get an elite player in return. I personally think that Ryan will be one of the best D-men in the league in a few years.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:29 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Yes, if we acquire a top-4 right defenseman, then no problem, but as it stands, we only have Girardi, Sauer and Eminger (with Kundratek possibly ready for part-time duty sa a #7 defenseman at some point after the mid-season).

We can't be trading our only proven right defenseman (Girardi) unless we get an equivalent RD back.
I think the right side looks like:

Girardi
Sauer
McIlrath

Kundratek
Parlett
Niemi

The Left side looks like:

Staal
McDonagh
Erixon
MDZ

Valentenko

The players in bold I consider almost locks to make the NHL at some point (or are in the NHL).

Kundratek, Parlett and Valentenko all have legitimate shots, in my opinion of being bottom pairing guys at some point.

That's a lot of depth on defense.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:40 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I really can't stand this myth that only right-handed defensemen can play the right side and vice versa. Believe it or not, if the player is smart and has a strong grasp of the fundamentals of the sport, this is not something that can't be overcome.

With time, both Erixon and McDonagh should be able to play either side (same with Sauer). All three could easily be just as good, if not better, than Girardi. Girardi is the defenseman to be traded, in a package, to either get a bonafide #1 defenseman, or a top LW. He's the most tradeable, and most sensible to trade, asset on the team.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:45 PM
NYR Viper

I know he wouldnt be the most ideal player, but what about if at the deadline the price is too high on Booth, Smyth or Doan or Hemsky?

What about some secondary options like possibly Niklas Hagman, Ray Whitney, Jochen Hecht, Umberger, Kostitsyn, Grabovski, S. Koivu, Brunette, Stempniak, Ponikarovsky.

Depending on the Rangers position, I would be okay with adding some of those type of players for depth. I think Stempniak, Kostitsyn and Whitney would be solid additions at the deadline.

Old
08-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think the right side looks like:

Girardi
Sauer
McIlrath

Kundratek
Parlett
Niemi

The Left side looks like:

Staal
McDonagh
Erixon
MDZ

Valentenko

The players in bold I consider almost locks to make the NHL at some point (or are in the NHL).

Kundratek, Parlett and Valentenko all have legitimate shots, in my opinion of being bottom pairing guys at some point.

That's a lot of depth on defense.

Maybe long term it works, but short term McIlrath is not an option and probably neither is Kundratek. Obviously Niemi and Parlett are non-starters this year.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:54 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I know he wouldnt be the most ideal player, but what about if at the deadline the price is too high on Booth, Smyth or Doan or Hemsky?

What about some secondary options like possibly Niklas Hagman, Ray Whitney, Jochen Hecht, Umberger, Kostitsyn, Grabovski, S. Koivu, Brunette, Stempniak, Ponikarovsky.

Depending on the Rangers position, I would be okay with adding some of those type of players for depth. I think Stempniak, Kostitsyn and Whitney would be solid additions at the deadline.
Umberger is not going anywhere, and I doubt Brunette is either. Hagman, IMO, is horrible, and so is Ponikarovsky. Whitney and Saku Koivu I like, but I don't think either solve much for us at this stage of their careers. Grabovski had a good year last year, but that's one season after several where he was nothing but an inefficient, dumb player. Not willing to take a chance on him. Kostitsyn, I kind of feel the same way about. He's very inconsistent. Not something you want on a great team, not unless that player is REALLY good when he's on.

Old
08-10-2011, 02:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
The only way we land Parise is if we sign him as a UFA. Trading him to us would make us contenders and I doubt Lou wants to be responsible for getting us the cup if we win it.
I didn't suggest we trade for him.

I said we would need to trade Gaborik. Implying his contract would need to be moved to make room.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:07 PM
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Umberger is not going anywhere, and I doubt Brunette is either. Hagman, IMO, is horrible, and so is Ponikarovsky. Whitney and Saku Koivu I like, but I don't think either solve much for us at this stage of their careers. Grabovski had a good year last year, but that's one season after several where he was nothing but an inefficient, dumb player. Not willing to take a chance on him. Kostitsyn, I kind of feel the same way about. He's very inconsistent. Not something you want on a great team, not unless that player is REALLY good when he's on.
If we're conceding that Wolski is not an option for this team, he should be able to be traded. I'm hoping he can put up some points early, we move him, and address the spot in another move. What about someone like Milan Michalek?

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I meant as a strict rental. Would you take A. Kostitsyn as a rental for a couple of months + playoffs? Grabovski?

I would throw them on the 3rd line and see if they can provide some valuable depth scoring.

Old
08-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
I really can't stand this myth that only right-handed defensemen can play the right side and vice versa. Believe it or not, if the player is smart and has a strong grasp of the fundamentals of the sport, this is not something that can't be overcome.

With time, both Erixon and McDonagh should be able to play either side (same with Sauer). All three could easily be just as good, if not better, than Girardi. Girardi is the defenseman to be traded, in a package, to either get a bonafide #1 defenseman, or a top LW. He's the most tradeable, and most sensible to trade, asset on the team.

Even if true, does not matter right now. They are not ready now. They don't have all the fundamentals down perfectly. You can't throw a LD rookie like Erixon or McDonagh or MDZ in there to play the wrong side.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:21 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I didn't suggest we trade for him.

I said we would need to trade Gaborik. Implying his contract would need to be moved to make room.
So youre sayin that to sign him as a UFA we'd have to trade Gaborik? Because I believe we have alot coming off the books next summer. We should have enough to offer him a Richards type deal around 7m per.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
So youre sayin that to sign him as a UFA we'd have to trade Gaborik? Because I believe we have alot coming off the books next summer. We should have enough to offer him a Richards type deal around 7m per.
They'll have some money coming off in Avery, Fedetenko, and Wolski. They will have Prust, Biron and Del Zotto as FAs. The bigger issue is after 12-13 when Anisimov, McDonaugh, Sauer and Stepan all becoming RFAs and nobody as yet coming off the cap at that time.

08-10-2011, 02:51 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheeler View Post
If we're conceding that Wolski is not an option for this team, he should be able to be traded. I'm hoping he can put up some points early, we move him, and address the spot in another move. What about someone like Milan Michalek?
Wolski might have some limited value at the deadline, but no more than a mid-level draft pick, unless he somehow has a great season (and then, why would we trade him?). At most, we can get a 3rd for him assuming his results on the ice remain inconsistent and streaky.

Milan Michalek's greatest asset as an NHL player was speed, and that speed is lost to him forever now due to injuries. Stay away.

Quote:
I meant as a strict rental. Would you take A. Kostitsyn as a rental for a couple of months + playoffs? Grabovski?

I would throw them on the 3rd line and see if they can provide some valuable depth scoring.
I don't really think we need it, actually. We have to see what happens with the likes of Wolski, MZA, Stepan, Avery, and possibly Hagelin throughout the season. Generally, with rentals, you would like to get consistency. Getting crappy rentals that are streaky is what bubble teams do. When great teams rent, they're usually looking to really get something necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Even if true, does not matter right now. They are not ready now. They don't have all the fundamentals down perfectly. You can't throw a LD rookie like Erixon or McDonagh or MDZ in there to play the wrong side.
Just to make sure, I definitely would not put a player like Del Zotto in that category. Fundamentals and Del Zotto don't go together.

You're right, they aren't ready yet, but we also aren't making any trades yet. We're talking about probably the deadline, at the earliest, and at that point, it may not be so farfetched.

Old
08-10-2011, 03:13 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They'll have some money coming off in Avery, Fedetenko, and Wolski. They will have Prust, Biron and Del Zotto as FAs. The bigger issue is after 12-13 when Anisimov, McDonaugh, Sauer and Stepan all becoming RFAs and nobody as yet coming off the cap at that time.
The cap will also be decreasing that year because of the new CBA. Sather isn't the type to sit on 5M of empty cap space for a season... He'll find some way to spend it.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The cap will also be decreasing that year because of the new CBA. Sather isn't the type to sit on 5M of empty cap space for a season... He'll find some way to spend it.
Well, he'll spend it because he'll have holes he'll need to fill with 4-6 roster players having contracts expiring.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
If the Cap decreases, player salaries will decrease in the same proportionate amount. People always mention this and it really isn't a concern at all.

As far as LW trade options... we don't need any. The roster we have right now is fine. Maybe a deadline deal is something to look at, but I'm not uncomfortable with any part of our forward group.

Just as an aside though... you know who would've looked real good on the left side of Richards-Gaborik? Lauri Korpikoski. He'd be the Jere Lehtinen to our Modano-Hull. I get why the trade was made and defended it at the time, but man would I like to take it back.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Vitto79

read on snyrangerblog that Wolski is doing alot to get ready for this yr

kudos to him he may surprise and bounce back to two yrs ago. he is not far removed from a great yr and has BR and Gabby to play with likely

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:12 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
im telling u guys i been saying it all summer long, keep Wolski let him play top line LW with Richards and Gaborik and he can very well be a 30 goal scorer again

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Sticky Fingers

Trading away Gaborik to make room for Parise creates a hole on RW, so while solwing one problem we create another one. And trading Girardi really isn't an option with our young D, we need veterans. Stay the course, sign Parise UFA if possible of course...

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:35 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohf View Post
Trading away Gaborik to make room for Parise creates a hole on RW, so while solwing one problem we create another one. And trading Girardi really isn't an option with our young D, we need veterans. Stay the course, sign Parise UFA if possible of course...
I tend to disagree.

While it would create a void on the top line RW spot, we have very good depth in the system for RW'er.

We could slot Cally up on the top line, while we also have people like MZA and Thomas in the minors.

I'm not advocating dealing Gaborik but I think it would be easier to replace then it seems.

Thomas will be a stud for this team in the next year or two, you can book that.

08-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I tend to disagree.

While it would create a void on the top line RW spot, we have very good depth in the system for RW'er.

We could slot Cally up on the top line, while we also have people like MZA and Thomas in the minors.

I'm not advocating dealing Gaborik but I think it would be easier to replace then it seems.

you can't just assume Thomas will slide into RW and Kreider will slide into LW. They are called prospects for a reason. Lets see how they do in their respective leagues this yr.

I am also interested in seeing how Miller does in the OHL

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:41 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
you can't just assume Thomas will slide into RW and Kreider will slide into LW. They are called prospects for a reason. Lets see how they do in their respective leagues this yr.

I am also interested in seeing how Miller does in the OHL
I'm not saying that they are going to slide right in there the first season right after we trade Gaborik.

I'm saying the depth is definitely there if we ever wanted to pull off a move like that.

I think in the future we'd have the depth to cover that loss.

I never assumed they'd just come in and fill the void right away.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:55 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
I tend to disagree.

If Thomas even becomes what Gaborik was last year, the team will be lucky.

You cannot deal Gaborik if you are the Rangers. It is that simple, open and shut. He is the only player on the team who has the ability to consistently eclipse 30-40 goals, and 1 of two with the ability to eclipse the PPG mark. Fans can whine about his 'effort' and whatnot (not directing this at anyone), but this team needs him, whether they want to believe it or not.

I know you said you aren't advocating to deal him, and I'm not really directing this at you, just in general.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:01 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
If Thomas even becomes what Gaborik was last year, the team will be lucky.

You cannot deal Gaborik if you are the Rangers. It is that simple, open and shut. He is the only player on the team who has the ability to consistently eclipse 30-40 goals, and 1 of two with the ability to eclipse the PPG mark. Fans can whine about his 'effort' and whatnot (not directing this at anyone), but this team needs him, whether they want to believe it or not.

I know you said you aren't advocating to deal him, and I'm not really directing this at you, just in general.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

This team needs Gaborik, otherwise bringing in Richards was pointless.

I am hoping that our 3rd line has Stepan and Thomas together on it, even thoug I know it's not likely.

Whether we like it or not, Gaborik is really the only pure gamebreaker on this team. Does he always exhibit those traits? No, he's a flawed player, but he is the closest thing that we have in terms of a pure offensive difference maker that dealing him would be asinine.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Agreed wholeheartedly.

This team needs Gaborik, otherwise bringing in Richards was pointless.

I am hoping that our 3rd line has Stepan and Thomas together on it, even thoug I know it's not likely.

Whether we like it or not, Gaborik is really the only pure gamebreaker on this team. Does he always exhibit those traits? No, he's a flawed player, but he is the closest thing that we have in terms of a pure offensive difference maker that dealing him would be asinine.
So you don't wanna trade him then? I don't thinl trading Gaborik is an option, even though we have good depth on RW.
edit: ok, now I see what you're sayin, that you don't wanna deal him

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote