HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Talk LW Trade Options

Old
08-11-2011, 06:01 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Another thought about trading going forward. When was the last time Sather traded any significant chips we wern't desperate to get rid of...

The Gomez deal was all about cap space, how he got McD thrown in is a puzzle.

Other than that his trades have all been very lateral. Our under performing guy for theirs.

Top 6 talent is expensive and Sather has become pretty thrifty.

08-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't think you have to look any further than Dubinsky. He's exactly the kind of player that you want on a line with your top-two skill forwards. He can skate with them, generate offense, handle the puck, and can also provide a level of protection in the traditional power-forward mold.

If he can put up a 30-30 season, while still playing with an edge, I can't think of any reason to look outside the organization for help. Yeah, Parise would be nice, but at some point you have to stop turning over the roster in order to take an important step forward.

Dubi - Richards - Gaborik
Wolski - AA/Step - Callahan

I, for one, am pretty damn confident in that top six. Two scoring lines with a good balance of skill and grit, with all 6 players capable of scoring 20+ goals and/or 50+ points. That's quality scoring depth, and depth is what wins in the playoffs.
Exactly my thoughts if Wolski can play his role on that 2nd line, it's an excellent top-6.

Also, I've been saying that Dubinsky is the ideal player to play on the top line for a while now. No need to look for external options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Maybe another Chris Stewart becomes available at the deadline.....
Well, I don't think Chris Stewart was 'available'. He was traded for an extremely talented 1st overall pick it was basically just a shake up of both teams. Unless we're willing to part with Staal, as Bruno Mars said, acquiring a player of Chris Stewart's caliber and skills is unlikely.

08-11-2011, 08:57 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
@RangersEsq

I am just saying that you absolutely cannot deal McD unless you get an elite player in return. I personally think that Ryan will be one of the best D-men in the league in a few years.
Even if that's true, you have Staal at 1 LD and i dont see McD being better than Staal when their careers are over. You have a legit chance to build a contender (not saying that's this year) you take trading someone with the potential to be great for someone that is great.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 08:58 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
that would be nice although he is a RW and with Gaborik and Callahan not sure if Doan can play LW?
He's played it before

Old
08-11-2011, 08:59 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Signing 2nd/3rd liners is what Sather should not do at all anymore. Re-sign the players who fit, like Prust, and fill those holes from within. If a player like Parise or Getzlaf or someone like that becomes available, you make room. Thos players are not available where the Rangers draft.
If what we're lacking is 2nd and 3rd liners there's no problem with signing 2nd and 3rd liners.

Old
08-11-2011, 09:27 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
If a player like Parise or Getzlaf or someone like that becomes available, you make room. Thos players are not available where the Rangers draft.
*teehee*

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:21 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
And what was our team's depth like when we had those guys?

People are starting to get that mentality of buying everyone off the market again.

We chose to make Richards and Gaborik our high priced "elite" duo. The rest of the team is in a good place, finally.

If we want Parise, Gaborik needs to be sacrificed, simple as that. You can't assume the money freed up by Wolski, Avery, and Fedotenko pay for Parise alone. That's three roster spots now empty and need to be filled.

Without looking it up...

Wolski 3.5 (approx)
Avery 1.5 (approx)
Fedotenko 1.5 (approx)

Parise 6-7 (approx)

Now where's the cap space coming from to keep guys like Stepan, Anisimov, McDonagh, and Sauer? Or are those guys not important?

How about the other spots that need to be filled?

Provide me with a breakdown on the payroll and cap hits and how you think it could work.

From the outset it doesn't look feasible.
It's completely feasible. Gaborik would be gone after the second year of a Parise signing. And most of the core guys are already locked up for the next 3 years anyway. So yes, we'll need to give a few guys a raise...but like I said, when you have a chance to sign a player like Parise you do it. If you have to trade a couple players for draft picks or prospects you do it. End of story.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
*teehee*
LMAO, 2003 ring a bell anybody?

With the 10th overall selection in the 2003 NHL Draft, the New York Rangers select...

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:52 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
LMAO, 2003 ring a bell anybody?

With the 10th overall selection in the 2003 NHL Draft, the New York Rangers select...
Kostitsyn

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:50 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
We'll still have depth. Play Richards with Cally and Duby and put Gaborik on the second line where he'll face second pair d-men. All fixed.

We have plenty of options, it's not the end of the world.
Good answer. I like it like that. Thank you.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:03 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I agree, I made a similar point in the other top LW thread.

Dubinsky is exactly the kind of player you want/need to compliment the two skill guys in Richards and Gaborik.

Wolski's shortcomings with work ethic and irresponsible play can be covered with Anisimov and Callahan's hard work and responsible play.

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik
Wolski - Anisimov - Callahan
Thomas - Stepan - Fedotenko
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

Is what im hoping for.
Looks fine IMO to. Only as a norwegian, I wish and hope Zuke can take Wolskis place one the second line, or WW-Stepan-Zuke as a 2/3 line. They where awesome together when they all was on fire.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:31 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
If what we're lacking is 2nd and 3rd liners there's no problem with signing 2nd and 3rd liners.
There is in the UFA market. They are overpaid.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Vitto79

i'd like to see a poll on who thinks Boyle will be a LW instead of 4th line C? I guess we are going to get it in the position voting we have going on now.

For those that say Rupp cannot play 4th line C please tell me what the link below says

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8467336

Rupp is better than he is given credit. He can C a gritty 4th line with Prust on RW and either Avery or Hagelin

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 12:36 PM
gotmonte

If the Rangers wanted to trade for Heatley, they had their chance. I am sure San Jose didnt just call Minn and say take Heatley. And I also dont think Minn called San Jose about a trade for heater and san jose didnt call around looking to see if they could get better value for him.

Teams normally dont trade upper echelon type players (Not calling either one a superstar) on a knee jerk reaction and not doing their due diligence before pulling the trigger.

So I doubt the rangers have nor want to part with the right amount of players to get Heater

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:04 PM
NikC

i'm all for seeing how things pan out this season "as is" for now.
We have a chance at W2 realzing himself as a ranger, but it's 50-50 at best.

At the end of this season we should have a good idea of what we have in players like AA, W2, Stepan, Boyle. If a player like a Parise becomes available i would hope they would make the move to aquire him. You simply have to think this way when you pick outside the top 10 at the draft the way the NYR do.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I would love to have Iginla as a NYR. I know he's the face of their franchise, but they're going nowhere and could be rebuilding. Maybe they accept a package for him? It probably wouldn't cost that much given his age.

I would like to see this team starting the season with more of a sure thing for LW. W2 is a crapshoot at this point. MZA will either kill it or be a bust. there can be no inbetween...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:42 PM
SharkEater

WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO GET NASH?!?!?!?! your crazy man. you would need to trade either Gaborik, or RIchards to get him. you could try with Dubinsky and Callahan. you may even have to throw in Wolski. Why? cause Columbus isn't gonna just trade Rick Nash fro nothin'

SharkEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 04:35 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
There is in the UFA market. They are overpaid.
If that's the only place to get them then what are you gonna do? You overpay in FA and it's perfectly fine if you compensate by filling other key spots with draftees. Having Staal and Girardi locked in fairly long term frees up money that would otherwise go to the top d-pairing. Having guys like Stepan and Anisimov on less expensive deals compensates. I'm not saying go out and sign a guy to a 7 year 80 mil deal to play on the 3rd line but there's no reason to be completely against bringing in UFA help on the 2nd and 3rd line.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:53 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
eh....how about this idea....

trade Girardi, MDZ, Thomas and a First for Weber

Sign Zach Parise next offseason.

somehow magically make it all work under the cap.

Hello stanley cup.
Even without Parise, the bold sounds like something I'd say.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Even without Parise, the bold sounds like something I'd say.

Sure Weber fills Girardi's hole and makes it much better, but you lose MDZ, Thomas, and a first round pick for a rental. Weber is still a RFA next year, but we all saw the crap he pulled (yes, I know, he is entitled to his arbitration rights) and who knows if he would re-sign here. Maybe he'd take us to arbitration. Do you want that?

Old
08-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

Sure Weber fills Girardi's hole and makes it much better, but you lose MDZ, Thomas, and a first round pick for a rental. Weber is still a RFA next year, but we all saw the crap he pulled (yes, I know, he is entitled to his arbitration rights) and who knows if he would re-sign here. Maybe he'd take us to arbitration. Do you want that?
he's one of the 5 best defenseman if not 3 best defenseman in the game today....hes totally worth that price...and more.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
he's one of the 5 best defenseman if not 3 best defenseman in the game today....hes totally worth that price...and more.
Didn't say he wasn't worth that price. I said he's not worth that price when he's on a one year deal. Unless there was an agreement in place to re-sign with us, I don't make that deal.

Old
08-17-2011, 01:44 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Didn't say he wasn't worth that price. I said he's not worth that price when he's on a one year deal. Unless there was an agreement in place to re-sign with us, I don't make that deal.
i wouldnt be afraid of that....rangers get their men....show Weber how it is in NY...he'll love it here.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Artem Anisimov

Why would we want Weber when we dont need a shutdown d-man? What we need is a little offensive creativity in the LW spot

Artem Anisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem Anisimov View Post
Why would we want Weber when we dont need a shutdown d-man?
What team wouldn't want Weber? He'd immediately become both the team's best defenseman and best PP option.

A trade for Weber isn't even realistic, however...

I stated it earlier in the thread — the team would be better off going into the season with the projected roster they currently have. And, from all indications, it seems like that will end up happening. Sather flat out said "we aren't going to pursue a LW via trade at this time.". If any move happens, it'll be a low-key veteran camp invite, maybe a Cory Stillman.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Leetch3

Quote:
its a one year deal but he's a RFA at the end of the year and you could lock him up long term then. it wouldn't be 1 year and then risk losing him

Leetch3 is online now   Reply With Quote