understatement of the day ... I hope he doesn't collapse/pull out this weekend

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:37 PM
bruinsfan46

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
LMAO, Eldrick shoots a 77. He's gunna miss the cut. Will he ever be relevant again or is he now just an average guy? It's almost like he's the next David duval to be(though David had a lot less actual success)
I imagine at some point he'll be relevant again to the point where he'll be able to win the odd tournament. He's not catching Jack's 18 majors and I'm not sure he'll even win one more. What I hope is that the American networks eventually stop making it all about Tiger, whoever made the choice that a group of Tiger, Padraig and DLIII is a marquee group should be fired.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
I imagine at some point he'll be relevant again to the point where he'll be able to win the odd tournament. He's not catching Jack's 18 majors and I'm not sure he'll even win one more. What I hope is that the American networks eventually stop making it all about Tiger, whoever made the choice that a group of Tiger, Padraig and DLIII is a marquee group should be fired.
DLIII isn'r a big name really. He's got one major and is older now and his game has tailed off, which happens with age. Padraig dominated the major scene for a year. Neither is relevant atthis point and time tho.

The thing is though, people watch this activity on average because of Tiger. His soap opera brings ratings. We as a society love seeing stars collapse. Some would say Tiger's attitude makes him deserving.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
DLIII hated on

He is very solid. Top 12 this year in the Players, US Open and British. Right up in the Top 5 right now with his 68 today.

He has one major but hes one of those guys who is good enough to have more. Hes choked it up alot in the majors.. never makes a big putt.

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
DLIII hated on

He is very solid. Top 12 this year in the Players, US Open and British. Right up in the Top 5 right now with his 68 today.

He has one major but hes one of those guys who is good enough to have more. Hes choked it up alot in the majors.. never makes a big putt.
Not hated....Majors are a different game. Par is a great score. The older guys aren't gunna go out and throw 65's a lot of the time, the majors they should do well on if they are pretty decent players because of the higher scores and the experience they bring to the table and know what they have to/can do to hang around.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Awful is an understatement. Unwatchable is more like it.

Tiger really needs to go back to the drawing board. It's painful to watch him miss fairways by 30 yards with a 3-wood.
It could just be that he's breaking down. He moved like a machine for so long that once human things started happening to him, he's just become like everyone else. I wish he took the whole year off for his divorce.

I see this approach on 18, and on Sunday just know someone going to choke by shooting it into the water. It will probably be Dustin Johnson, that would be something new for him.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It could just be that he's breaking down. He moved like a machine for so long that once human things started happening to him, he's just become like everyone else. I wish he took the whole year off for his divorce.

I see his approach on 18, and on Sunday just know someone going to choke by shooting it into the water. It will probably be Dustin Johnson, that would be something new for him.
Nah, #18 on last years PGA Final Round was terrible, then the implosion this Sunday at the end of the Open Championship.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Nah, #18 on last years PGA Final Round was terrible, then the implosion this Sunday at the end of the Open Championship.
Yeah, but that wasn't water. That was just a mysterious invisible bunker.

Old
08-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
True. I would feel bad for the guy if this happened. Not to really rehash year old history but even as a non golf fan I have to say that looked like no such bunker.

Old
08-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Gotta hand it to Rory, thats a hell of a 70. I wonder if he can hold up, I gotta imagine overnight it's going to only get worse and tomorrow it's going o feel a lot worse.

Old
08-11-2011, 06:27 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

Quote:
Gotta hand it to Rory, thats a hell of a 70. I wonder if he can hold up, I gotta imagine overnight it's going to only get worse and tomorrow it's going o feel a lot worse.
Truly an amazing effort to shoot even par with the wrist injury. He couldn't even shake hands with his right hand after the round was complete & is having an MRI done tonight. Hoping he won't have to withdraw, but I'm not feeling too confident right now.

PanthersPens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

vCash: 50
Those shots Rory made where he had to absolutely kill his 8 iron were very impressive.

Hope he's back tomorrow.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:58 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
The networks make it about Tiger because without him golf is irrelevant. The proof is in the ratings, which are horrific without him.

The entire golf industry desperately needs Tiger to regain some semblance of his old self. I assure you that every single network exec and PGA governing bodies were jumping up and down when Tiger was -3 under after his first 5 holes hoping that this would be his triumphant return.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 07:01 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
There was nothing mysterious or invisible about it. Anyone who has been there knows that there are bunkers all over the place, not to mention that DJ admits he didn't read the local rules sheet. You can also put some of the blame on the caddy as well.

Old
08-11-2011, 07:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
There was nothing mysterious or invisible about it. Anyone who has been there knows that there are bunkers all over the place, not to mention that DJ admits he didn't read the local rules sheet. You can also put some of the blame on the caddy as well.
He said that because he had to. The PGA shouldn't have let people on, to what was officially, the course itself by being in the bunker.

Old
08-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
The networks make it about Tiger because without him golf is irrelevant. The proof is in the ratings, which are horrific without him.

The entire golf industry desperately needs Tiger to regain some semblance of his old self. I assure you that every single network exec and PGA governing bodies were jumping up and down when Tiger was -3 under after his first 5 holes hoping that this would be his triumphant return.
Post Tiger Golf is in major trouble. It shows now when he doesn't play. Perhaps McIlroy will be a star or perhaps that great week at the US Open was an exaggeration. Great performance but there is nothing that indicates he will now dominate Tiger esque.

Old
08-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

No golfer fears Tiger anymore. The intiimidation factor is gone.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
No golfer fears Tiger anymore. The intiimidation factor is gone.
I beg to differ on this fear thing. Tiger was good or great or whatever but the equipment has improved vastly and so have player skills. I think thats a part of it.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

vCash: 50
Rory has a strained tendon in right wrist.

He'll play tomorrow if it feels the same and won't cause further damage.

Last edited by Gibson Les Palms: 08-11-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:21 AM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
I beg to differ on this fear thing. Tiger was good or great or whatever but the equipment has improved vastly and so have player skills. I think thats a part of it.
So Tiger doesn't use the new and improved equipment?

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
So Tiger doesn't use the new and improved equipment?
He does, but he was also never the longest driver on tour. Many guys can drive it well over 300 now. The game has become all about iron shots then the short game. If more guys are driving bombs off the tee they will be able to score. Then factor in his knee injury here. He's definitely going to lose yards off the tee now.

Old
08-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
He does, but he was also never the longest driver on tour. Many guys can drive it well over 300 now. The game has become all about iron shots then the short game. If more guys are driving bombs off the tee they will be able to score. Then factor in his knee injury here. He's definitely going to lose yards off the tee now.
He was always in the top 10 generally when he was winning, one of the longest drivers on tour.

Here is a site that you can see the average driving distance leaders year by year.

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/xm.html?101

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:12 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
He said that because he had to. The PGA shouldn't have let people on, to what was officially, the course itself by being in the bunker.
Then people wouldn't be allowed anywhere on that course. I've been there, there are little bunkers literally everywhere. So many that they honestly have no clue of how many bunkers are on the course.

Old
08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Tiger was great? That's a major understatement. When Tiger had his A game, the rest of the field knew they were playing for 2nd place. When Tiger has his B game, the rest of the field had a miniscule chance of winning assuming someone was playing their very best. The only way fields had a chance was when Tiger had his C game or less. That is how much better he was than anyone else.

That said equipment has nothing to do with this. Better equipment helps amateurs play better, the pros could shoot under par with blades circa 1950 and persimmon drivers.

Old
08-12-2011, 09:19 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
He was always in the top 10 generally when he was winning, one of the longest drivers on tour.

Here is a site that you can see the average driving distance leaders year by year.

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/xm.html?101
What this stat doesn't show is that Tiger rarely max'ed his driver out. When Tiger wanted to bomb it 325 he could.

That said driving distance is irrelevant. When it came to 100 yards and in you just knew that Tiger most of the time was going to hit the shot within 10 feet and make the putt. There is not a single player today that makes 10-15 footers like Tiger did. That's the reason why Tiger won majors by 5-10 shots, not because he could hit it 350.