Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

93rd PGA Championship

Old
08-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

vCash: 500
The scorecards for Roy McIlroy and Jason Day are like roller coasters.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
I watched most of Rory's round, he had some amazing recoveries. Playing with that wrist injury must've been tough.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

after someone yells "get in the hole" from the fairway ... Feherty: There is always one moron out there ... Finch: Unfortunately, they're still breeding

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:32 PM
pelts35.com

For all of you who complain about the coverage they gave to Tiger, there's a reason why...

http://news.turner.com/article_displ...rticle_id=5775

PGA.com Has Record-Setting Day Online with Opening Round Coverage of the 2011 PGA Championship

Site Delivers Single-Day Record for PGA Championship with 2.1 Million Unique Users

PGA.com’s extensive online coverage of the 93rd PGA Championship at the Atlanta Athletic Club featuring marquee group pairings, delivered a record-setting start to the first round of the season’s final major golf championship, setting new single day records with 2,100,000 unique users (up +22% vs. 2010) and 974,000 live streams (up +9%) for first round coverage of the PGA Championship. PGA.com followed the two marquee groups of Tiger Woods, Davis Love III and Padraig Harrington, along with Rory McIlroy, Darren Clarke and Charl Schwartzel. The two pairings helped draw 52.7 million page views (up +28%) for Thursday’s coverage. Mobile traffic also saw significant growth with 1.1 million WAP page views (up 65% vs. 2010).

So, even with Tiger where he is in his career, he's still THE draw of the PGA Tour. I assure you that Tiger shooting 77 is the PGA and network's worst nightmare. Assuming Tiger doesn't come back today and shoot in the low 60's, expect the weekend ratings to be mediocre at best.

Whether you hate the guy or not, the bottom line is that golf needs Tiger Woods.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

http://twitter.com/SklarBrothers/sta...94579427311616
Quote:
James Woods has a better chance to make the cut at this year's PGA Championship. #tigerbomb

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
For all of you who complain about the coverage they gave to Tiger, there's a reason why...

http://news.turner.com/article_displ...rticle_id=5775

PGA.com Has Record-Setting Day Online with Opening Round Coverage of the 2011 PGA Championship

Site Delivers Single-Day Record for PGA Championship with 2.1 Million Unique Users

PGA.comís extensive online coverage of the 93rd PGA Championship at the Atlanta Athletic Club featuring marquee group pairings, delivered a record-setting start to the first round of the seasonís final major golf championship, setting new single day records with 2,100,000 unique users (up +22% vs. 2010) and 974,000 live streams (up +9%) for first round coverage of the PGA Championship. PGA.com followed the two marquee groups of Tiger Woods, Davis Love III and Padraig Harrington, along with Rory McIlroy, Darren Clarke and Charl Schwartzel. The two pairings helped draw 52.7 million page views (up +28%) for Thursdayís coverage. Mobile traffic also saw significant growth with 1.1 million WAP page views (up 65% vs. 2010).

So, even with Tiger where he is in his career, he's still THE draw of the PGA Tour. I assure you that Tiger shooting 77 is the PGA and network's worst nightmare. Assuming Tiger doesn't come back today and shoot in the low 60's, expect the weekend ratings to be mediocre at best.

Whether you hate the guy or not, the bottom line is that golf needs Tiger Woods.
For what its worth, I watched it for the coverage of DL3

Hire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:34 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Tiger looks ****ing awful.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Tee shot: Tiger hits it into the bunker

Next shot: Into another bunker

Next shot: Into the water and to make matters worse, he got sand in his eyes and mouth.

This is just embarrassing.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:50 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

This is hard to watch.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Tiger was great? That's a major understatement. When Tiger had his A game, the rest of the field knew they were playing for 2nd place. When Tiger has his B game, the rest of the field had a miniscule chance of winning assuming someone was playing their very best. The only way fields had a chance was when Tiger had his C game or less. That is how much better he was than anyone else.

That said equipment has nothing to do with this. Better equipment helps amateurs play better, the pros could shoot under par with blades circa 1950 and persimmon drivers.
Exactly.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Looks like Tigers ex caddie will be making more than him again this weekend.

Old
08-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Looks like Tigers ex caddie will be making more than him again this weekend.
he needs to take some time off & get his mental game/personal **** right

Old
08-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
he needs to take some time off & get his mental game/personal **** right
How much time off does the man need?

Old
08-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
How much time off does the man need?
until he gets his **** straight ... or just go away & let the kids take over (Rory, Fowler, etc)

Old
08-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
until he gets his **** straight ... or just go away & let the kids take over (Rory, Fowler, etc)
The game still needs him whether he sucks or not. You go to the PGA website and who is on the front page? You guessed it,Tiger even though he will miss the cut.

Old
08-12-2011, 05:36 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
The game still needs him whether he sucks or not. You go to the PGA website and who is on the front page? You guessed it,Tiger even though he will miss the cut.
Well to be fair, their greatest golfer of the decade just missed the cut with probably the worst two days of golf he's ever played in his entire life. He is going to be headline news just for that alone. Tiger needs to figure out what it is that is screwing his life up. The wife is gone. Its over. Figure out if that is truly the reason, or if its because he isn't getting laid on a daily basis from random ho's. Something changed, and whether that is because he lost that "invincible" factor or what...he will have to figure out how to get it back. If not, he will not win another Major again in his career. You can see it in his shots that he just forces everything he does now. No one is there to calm him down and help him with his game now. He is trying to do it on his own.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

vCash: 50
Phil was playing so well until the 18th! Ugh!!!!

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Well to be fair, their greatest golfer of the decade just missed the cut with probably the worst two days of golf he's ever played in his entire life. He is going to be headline news just for that alone. Tiger needs to figure out what it is that is screwing his life up. The wife is gone. Its over. Figure out if that is truly the reason, or if its because he isn't getting laid on a daily basis from random ho's. Something changed, and whether that is because he lost that "invincible" factor or what...he will have to figure out how to get it back. If not, he will not win another Major again in his career. You can see it in his shots that he just forces everything he does now. No one is there to calm him down and help him with his game now. He is trying to do it on his own.
It's definitely a mental thing IMO. He has had injury trouble, but coming off a major knee surgery when he missed the majority of the 2008 year, he still came back and was by far the best player in the world in 2009, right up until Tigergate. I think he just needs to win one to get his confidence back, but it's getting harder and harder for him to do it.

I think if he had won that playoff with McDowell at the Chevron at the end of last year, this year would have been a different story.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Well said. I do give him credit for being humble in his interview after his round today. Don't see that side of Tiger to often especially after a disappointing round. Kudos to him for that.

Old
08-12-2011, 06:42 PM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

I bet $100 that he wouldn't win a major through 2013. I think he'll get 1 or 2 in his forties, but I think he'll struggle at least 1 more year.

08-12-2011, 06:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
D.A. Points is someone I've been waiting for to emerge.

It's going to be a great weekend.

A lot of big names booted, the least of which is Tiger. He will obviously not be lurking this weekend.

Honestly, I think he should go back to partying like a rock star. He was a better golfer. Live on the wild side.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 06:46 PM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

I'm calling a win by Lee Westwood

spintheblackcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:47 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
It's definitely a mental thing IMO. He has had injury trouble, but coming off a major knee surgery when he missed the majority of the 2008 year, he still came back and was by far the best player in the world in 2009, right up until Tigergate. I think he just needs to win one to get his confidence back, but it's getting harder and harder for him to do it.

I think if he had won that playoff with McDowell at the Chevron at the end of last year, this year would have been a different story.
Completely agree. He needs to get the monkey off his back and try to relax himself. It appears that he is thinking to himself if he doesn't get this birdie, he will fail and then puts all that pressure and stress on himself to pick the right iron, perform the right amount of spin, and play it off the wind that he just gets frustrated and says "**** it" and just swings with the hope of getting the shots we are all used to seeing him hit. Think he only hit 3 fairways on the first round alone. To me...that shows he is just blasting it as hard as he can, even though he knows he will never win that way.

Quote:
Well said. I do give him credit for being humble in his interview after his round today. Don't see that side of Tiger to often especially after a disappointing round. Kudos to him for that.
But see, that may be the issue too though. Tiger has an ego the size of Texas from all accounts from the sports writers who have followed him for so long. He would have a bad game and he would just play it off like "you can't win em all folks" and that was that. Now he is actually humbling himself and saying "I played terrible, I made the wrong choice..." and to me that is damaging because it really shows how vulnerable he is right now. To have your best buddy do your caddying for you instead of a professional caddy also shows he just doesn't trust anyone to be around him that he already doesn't know. He wants comfort and established trust over experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I bet $100 that he wouldn't win a major through 2013. I think he'll get 1 or 2 in his forties, but I think he'll struggle at least 1 more year.
We'll see how next year plays out, but at this point you may be very right on this. With how good the competition has gotten with the younger golfers it will be a lot harder to win the rounds he is used to. These kids came onto the tour with it already "tiger proofed" and all the other changes they made in order to try to level the playing field. To them, its just how you play. The older guys still have those old habits from time to time.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to play the 18th hole on this course. It seems the only way to take the water out of play is to lay up with an iron and then hit an over-club on the approach to ensure clearing the drink. Every driver play I've seen has either splashed down or hit that massive right-side bunker that players are practically aiming at to stay dry. God help them if there's a front hole location on Sunday.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Raging Bull

Yawn. Some alright golf being played, but guys like Keegan Bradley and Brendan Steele don't really get me excited to watch golf.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote