HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Minnesota #12 Prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the twelfth-best Wild prospect?
Cody Almond 3 6.25%
Joel Broda 0 0%
Tyler Cuma 13 27.08%
Justin Falk 4 8.33%
Justin Fontaine 0 0%
Kris Foucault 0 0%
Chay Genoway 0 0%
Erik Haula 3 6.25%
Darcy Kuemper 4 8.33%
Mario Lucia 17 35.42%
Nate Prosser 1 2.08%
Chad Rau 0 0%
Nick Seeler 0 0%
Casey Wellman 3 6.25%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
2011 Minnesota #12 Prospect

2011 HF Wild Rankings:
1. Mikael Granlund
2. Charlie Coyle
3. Jonas Brodin
4. Marco Scandella
5. Jason Zucker
6. Matt Hackett
7. Zack Phillips
8. Johan Larsson
9. Jared Spurgeon
10. Colton Gillies
11. Brett Bulmer

All 3 2010 2nd rounders are on the board before the 2009 and 2011 2nd rounders (although to be fair the 2009 2nd rounder is a bum alongside both of our 2007 and 2012 2nds). #12 looks to be a battle between Tyler Cuma and Mario Lucia but there is always room for a spoiler.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:38 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Think this is a good place for Lucia. Though it's certainly more of a long term projection over guys who surely will, at the very least, get a cup of tea in the near future. He's a guy who we could very well have high hopes for as a prospect and be near the top of this list in 2-3 years.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Think this is a good place for Lucia. Though it's certainly more of a long term projection over guys who surely will, at the very least, get a cup of tea in the near future. He's a guy who we could very well have high hopes for as a prospect and be near the top of this list in 2-3 years.
Agreed.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
forthewild

lucia, tho as i have said before both him and bulmer should be top 10, but in between lucia and cuma, i like lucia better then cuma simply due to injuries, i have a feeling had Cuma stayed healthy he'd be a fixture on the Wild already.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:57 PM
MNhockey19

If i could vote id go with Lucia. I think he is one of those boom or bust prospects- where you arent sure if his game will translate into the higher levels. But he is very skilled so I sure hope so. Im not sure boom or bust was the right word, i guess like others have said he is a project.

MNhockey19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

IMO In no way should Cuma beat Lucia, Falk, or Kuemper.

It is just unfortunate about the injuries but its the truth: Cuma has lost almost 2 seasons worth of development to major and key injuries on his knee (both if I remember correctly). He has the enough potential being selected in the first round but that means almost nothing when he's sitting recovering most of the time, falling behind kids that are 1-2 years younger than him.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I went with Almond. It's getting tough at this point to put one player ahead of another because they all have some potential, but they also have a lot of questions too.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lucia again. Highest ceiling of all prospects going back to Phillips.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:16 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I think tomorrow is the day I get out of this rookie user status, so I have until then to decide between Kuemper and Lucia.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I'll go against the crowd for the fun of it

Darcy Kuemper. WHL Goaltender of the Year, CHL Goaltender of the Year, WHL PLAYER of the Year, WHL First All-Star, and lead the WHL in all major WHL goaltending stats.

Not many #12-#14 team rated prospects can do that

Old
08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post

Darcy Kuemper. WHL Goaltender of the Year, CHL Goaltender of the Year, WHL PLAYER of the Year, WHL First All-Star, and lead the WHL in all major WHL goaltending stats.
20 year-old in an under-20 league who played on a team with the #1 draft pick and might start next season in the ECHL.

I like this game.

Old
08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
still have hopes that Almond will be a regular NHLr.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:26 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I haven't been all that impressed with Kuemper. Truth be told, I think Gustafsson is the better goaltending prospect...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
20 year-old in an under-20 league who played on a team with the #1 draft pick and might start next season in the ECHL.

I like this game.
To be fair:

#1: Can't fault Kuemper for not beating Hackett to the #1 job. Hackett's awesome

#2: Can't fault Kuemper for not beating Endras, who is 26 years old and has a wealth of professional playing experience, as well as being awesome in the WC

#3: Even if Endras wasn't here, Kuemper would be in the ECHL because the Wild wouldn't want him rotting away as Hackett's backup. He will be in the ECHL getting #1 starting minutes like he should be

#4: Winning all those awards isn't just any cake walk for any 20-year old. Its hard!

Old
08-10-2011, 04:02 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

I like this game.
He didn't lead the league, he dominated it. He had 12 shutouts, and iirc the next highest in the league was either 4 or 6. Having RNH on your team is more of a negative for a goalie's GAA and SO stats as he has been criticized for his defensive play. A goaltender playing in the ECHL isn't a negative at all either as they take longer to develop, and it's much harder and more important for them to see playing time. The list of goalie prospects who wouldn't be playing ECHL if they were on the Wild is a pretty short one because Hackett is going to get the vast majority of starts in Houston no matter what.

Old
08-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Lucia.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:05 PM
MuckandGrind

Prosser...........again.

MuckandGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Wildfish

Quote:

Not many #12-#14 team rated prospects can do that
What he said.

Mod - please put me down for Kuemper.

Thanks.

Wildfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Caior89

Even with all the injuries delaying his development , i still go with Cuma. This mid rankings are proving to be very difficult to choose. A lot of players come to my mind, Falk, Cuma, Kuemper, Lucia, Prosser.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
To be fair:

#1: Can't fault Kuemper for not beating Hackett to the #1 job. Hackett's awesome

#2: Can't fault Kuemper for not beating Endras, who is 26 years old and has a wealth of professional playing experience, as well as being awesome in the WC

#3: Even if Endras wasn't here, Kuemper would be in the ECHL because the Wild wouldn't want him rotting away as Hackett's backup. He will be in the ECHL getting #1 starting minutes like he should be

#4: Winning all those awards isn't just any cake walk for any 20-year old. Its hard!
#1. So he's the second-best goalie prospect. At best.

#2. Our best goalie prospect did beat out a guy who people were okay with starting in the NHL. Why shouldn't this guy?

#3. It's still the ECHL. Most of the posters on here can't name our ECHL affiliate and its nickname without looking that info up.

#4. No but it's something I would expect from an older player.

This really is fun. In all seriousness, my issue with Kuemer is the vast improvement between last year and this year and whether that is because of his age in the CHL, Red Deer as a team or just a huge step in development. It also has to do with thinking goalies are overrated as prospects because every team has a couple good ones (hell we have four - no one's brought up Michalek and Gustafsson's quietly playing well). To me, the fifth forward with top-six potential or fourth defenseman is rated higher than the second-best goalie and those players are still on the board.

Old
08-10-2011, 04:54 PM
forthewild

as far as i am concerned gustafsson is 2nd best goalie prospect, and people will see this in a year

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
#1. So he's the second-best goalie prospect. At best.

#2. Our best goalie prospect did beat out a guy who people were okay with starting in the NHL. Why shouldn't this guy?

#3. It's still the ECHL. Most of the posters on here can't name our ECHL affiliate and its nickname without looking that info up.

#4. No but it's something I would expect from an older player.

This really is fun. In all seriousness, my issue with Kuemer is the vast improvement between last year and this year and whether that is because of his age in the CHL, Red Deer as a team or just a huge step in development. It also has to do with thinking goalies are overrated as prospects because every team has a couple good ones (hell we have four - no one's brought up Michalek and Gustafsson's quietly playing well). To me, the fifth forward with top-six potential or fourth defenseman is rated higher than the second-best goalie and those players are still on the board.
#1. He's our second-best goalie prospect...and the best is off the board already so it's likely time for him to be selected.

#2. He's starting in the ECHL regardless of whether he beats out Endras. Hackett will get >70% of the starts this year, and Kuemper needs ice time to continue developing.

#3. Goalies get their start in the ECHL with relative frequency. He'll be playing there not because of lack of merit, but because there's an older, closer to the NHL prospect in front of him.

#4. There were plenty of other older players who didn't win any awards because he brought them all home. He didn't just win them, he blew out the competition. There was never any question of whether he'd win, but how big the gap between first and second place was.

My concerns about ranking Kuemper this highly is because I know him from accolades and stat lines rather than watching him play. In my mind, watching him play is even more important for goalies than skaters. Gustafsson played somewhere I have even less knowledge of, so I can't even consider him. To me the question is "Top-6 potential forward who likely won't be close to touching the NHL for at least 5 years, or goalie who has proven a lot more, but is still equally removed from NHL ice time?"

Old
08-10-2011, 05:29 PM
BLBarmada

I'll go with Kuemper.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Jbcraig1883

Things are quite interesting now as it is more difficult to rank the prospects at this point on potential, how close the prospect is to reaching that potential, and where we subjectively see that player(s) fitting into the Wild. As mentioned in other threads, this makes it all the more fun as it shows we are a far deeper team, prospect wise, than perhaps ever.

I went with Falk. He was the best Wild defenseman through the first month last year. If he can maintain his feistiness and confidence, I think he will be a great shutdown defenseman.

I have not seen enough of Lucia to argue for him.

I like Prosser but feel that Falk is at the same point of development but has more potential.

Kuemper has not impressed me at all but my only viewings of him have been at the two Wild prospect camps.

Cuma has been injured too much. I would love for him to prove me wrong but I don't have a lot of hope for him.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:56 PM
djgriff

Lucia for me. I want to pick Cuma, but unless he can prove that he can make it through a season without a major injury, his future doesn't look great.

djgriff is offline   Reply With Quote