HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey Guilty Pleasures

Old
08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
1. The Player You Most Love To Hate: Alex Ovechkin

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For: Blackhawks

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time: Any Colton Orr Fight

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most: Preds new yellow jerseys

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché: Not too sure

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only): Charas hit on Patches

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture: Any Mighty Ducks Reference

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure.: Dont have one

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most?: Raising the salary cap so the NYR can get Richards

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:13 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate: Chris Pronger, though the reasons i disliked him then are different now.

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For: Stars

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time: Potvin v Hextall or any Hextall

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most: Habs barber poles

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché: 2 goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only):
Seriously, like the other person said

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture: Snoop's Pens jersey in Gin & Juice

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure:

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most? He seems to have a good sense of humour and takes things in stride for the most part

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:30 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
1. The Player You Most Love To Hate Crosby

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For varies

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time Wings/Avs March 97

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most Canucks reds(I think....)

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché Do or die

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only) Alex Mogilny breaks a leg

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture Ummm, "Score!" i guess.....

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure. I once saw a stuffed toy Penguin with "Jags 68" on it....

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most?
Hiding his double identity as the dark emperor

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:31 PM
The Red Line

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate - Crosby. I claim to "hate" him yet I love watching him play whenever I can.

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For - Rangers

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time - Fight night at the Joe, McCarty pummelling Lemieaux

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most - The Islanders "I Know What You Did Last Summer" fisherman.

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché - The Wings are old. 20 years and 4 cups later, and they still say it every season.

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only) - Kronwall on Havlat. Since I can't think of another one at the moment.

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture - The Mighty Ducks movies are a cornerstone of my childhood.

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure. - I have an Avery rookie card when he was on the Wings.

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most? - His sense of humor. When he and Mario Lemieaux both walked out onto the ice in Pittsburgh before a game, Bettman leaned over and said "Mario, why are they booing you?"

The Red Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
ed bruin

Im actually a big fan of Sean Avery and yes I dont mind Pierre

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:38 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskog View Post
Another good pop culture reference I forgot in my post is the South Park where Stan coaches a peewee team and they go to play in the Pepsi Centre. The opposing team can't make it, and a different team opts to sub in.

"The Detroit Red Wings?!?!?!"
I still can't find that episode. It's one of the couple I actually attempted to watch. I thought it was the Avalanche couldn't play so they suited the kids up instead.

Old
08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
The Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskog View Post
Another good pop culture reference I forgot in my post is the South Park where Stan coaches a peewee team and they go to play in the Pepsi Centre. The opposing team can't make it, and a different team opts to sub in.

"The Detroit Red Wings?!?!?!"
Lol. That one always cracks me up.

Old
08-10-2011, 05:43 PM
The Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I still can't find that episode. It's one of the couple I actually attempted to watch. I thought it was the Avalanche couldn't play so they suited the kids up instead.
Its called "Stanley's Cup" from Season 10.

Old
08-10-2011, 05:52 PM
noobman

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate: Mike Komisarek. Leafs fans always need a whipping boy, so it might as well be him!

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For: Nashville. In spite of their hideous new jerseys, I've always liked their scrappy style of play.

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time: Potvin vs Hextall.

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most: New York Islanders "Highlander Fishsticks" jerseys. Honourable mentions to the Thrashers red alternate, the Buffalo Sabres slug jersey, the Bruins bear jersey (pre-lockout) and the Nashville mustard yellow alternates.

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché: "It is what it is"

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only): Darcy Tucker's hit on Kapanen. While I found Kapanen's struggle to the bench quite comical, I respected his effort to stay on his feet and keep the game moving

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture: South Park's hockey episode where Stan becomes a coach. Watching the Red Wings practically kill a bunch of kindergarten hockey players was one of the funniest things I've ever seen

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure: McDonalds goalie masks from the 90s. It wasn't really a mask in as much as it was a mask painted on a tiny mannequin head. They were actually pretty cool but I hate that you couldn't detach them.

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most? Legitimizing the NHL. Lets be honest... the NHL was a bit of a sideshow before Bettman was around. Guys who could barely skate throwing on practice jerseys and reffing games, coaches ignoring suspensions, players beating fans with their own shoes, warmup brawls... I could go on and on. Some of that was already disappearing by the time Bettman came in, but he did a great job of legitimizing the sport and helping to sell it to the US markets. In spite of all the crap he's done, I don't think the NHL would be competing just below basketball/baseball/football in the US if it weren't for him.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate

They count as one

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only)

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BigBootsie

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate: Luongo

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For: Avalanche

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time: Avs vs Wings....pick one

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most: Sharks

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché: HIT THE POST WITH A SHAWWWT

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only): Matt Walker's broken finger in 2009(playoffs.) Seen it on youtube so many times.

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture: The Mighty Duck movies. Oreo line. How incredibly racist for a childs movie.

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure: The only ones I can think of are the gameday player bobblehead statues that the Blackhawks give out in the UC, but they are the opposite of terrible.

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most: For his ability to get money, and get paid.

BigBootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:56 PM
BigBootsie

Quote:
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...4-stanleys-cup

There's a link to the full episode. The other pee-wee hockey team couldn't make it, so the team was sad they couldn't play. The Avs hear them talking about it in the tunnel, and let the kids play against the Red Wings. Anyone who hasn't seen this, please watch it! Absolutely hilarious, plus the very end shows the truth about the Wings.

Old
08-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
1. The Player You Most Love To Hate Burrows

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For Oilers

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time Senators-Flyers

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most Fisherman

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché Pucks in deep

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only) Pacioretty

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture Mighty Ducks or Miracle

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure. Old Denis Savard Figure

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most? He doesn't give a #### how much everyone hates him

Last edited by Gootie: 08-10-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:15 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousCous33 View Post
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...4-stanleys-cup

There's a link to the full episode. The other pee-wee hockey team couldn't make it, so the team was sad they couldn't play. The Avs hear them talking about it in the tunnel, and let the kids play against the Red Wings. Anyone who hasn't seen this, please watch it! Absolutely hilarious, plus the very end shows the truth about the Wings.
Great, now if you'll just link me to the last Simpson's Halloween special...

Old
08-10-2011, 06:29 PM
SB164

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate: Patrick Kaleta

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For: If I had to choose, I'd say Detroit.

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time:
Just seeing Milbury being thrashed around is worth it.

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most:

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché:
They're all pretty funny aren't they?

Can't find the video, but I still vividly remember Chris Pronger once took a slapshot right to the chest and quickly collapsed, as his heart briefly stopped.

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture:

A Jim Carey McDonald's hockey card circa 1996.

The fact that hockey has more parity than any of the other major sports in North America.

Last edited by SB164: 08-10-2011 at 06:36 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Butch 19
King me

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate - Doan

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For - Caps

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time - maybe when Dave Taylor cold-cocked Gretzky.

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most - why would I love a hideous-looking jersey? Seriously. If they're hideous, they're ugly and painful to look at (the hideous jerseys know who they are)

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché - a. slipped it between the pads b. top shelf c. post to post d. cleaned him out

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only) - ??

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture - Happy Gilmore in Bruins jersey (they should be using that exact same jersey now...) And Cameron in Ferrris Buehler wearing the Redwings HOWE jersey. Isn't the logo kinda crooked though?

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure. - I really liked the NHL trophy cards that Pro Set did in the '90s. And the coaches cards too. They gave a different side to your typical sports cards. And Upper Deck has ruined hockey card collecting with their rediculous prices / small packs.

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most? - "Respect" and "classless" are 2 words that get used on HF way too much. They're essentially meaningless.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
1. The Player(s) You Most Love To Hate: Luongo

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For: Habs

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time: Both fights I watched live in the OHL, Joey MacDonald v. Curtis Cruickshank or Brett Clouthier v. Sean McMorrow

Takes awhile to get going but lots of bad blood and it culminates with McMorrow taunting the Fronts' bench and Clouthier landing a bomb.

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most: Mooterus

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché: "We left it all out on the ice"

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only): Ruslan Salei pushing Modano head first into the boards

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture: Roenick making Gretzky's head bleed -- Mighty Ducks don't qualify as they are not cheesy at all.

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure: Aforementioned Ref Pro-Set cards

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most? He stays on point

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:13 PM
BigBootsie

Quote:
Great, now if you'll just link me to the last Simpson's Halloween special...
I think it's this one.

http://www.wtso.net/movie/487-2204_T...orror_XXI.html

Old
08-10-2011, 07:18 PM
The Swedish Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture - Not cheesy, but Omar in The Wire season 1 wearing a Devils jersey underneath his overalls. I like the idea of a Baltimore badass thug wearing NHL gear!
[/COLOR]
I thought i was the only who like Omar wearing the devils jersey, i've been trying to find a picture of him wearing it forever. but I've had no luck in finding one. btw The wire ftw

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate - Matt Cooke

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For - St.Louis Blues

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time - Aaron Downey vs Jesse Boulerice or Fedoruk vs Boogaard

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most - The Ducks WildWing

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché - uhmmm coach uhhh he said uhhh that we need to uhhh get more pucks uhh on net and be more uhmm physical y'know.

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only) - Marc Savard getting hit

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture - like the other guy said Omar in The Wire, or Happy Gilmore

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure. I bought it a while ago but i dont remember why,

Letting Atlanta leave.

The Swedish Meatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:43 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

vCash: 50
1. The Player You Most Love To Hate

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For
Caps OV needs a cup

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time
Patrick Roy beating up redwing goalies twice

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché
and uuuhh u know

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only)

idk how and why

does this count?

Bringing a team back to Canada

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:05 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Rene: What are you doing? You promised me breakfast.
Brodie: Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, "the Whale," they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:30 PM
nWo
New World Order

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate: Maxim Lapierre

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For: Philadelphia Flyers

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time: Sabres vs Senators in 2007

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most: The Devils' 1st jersey (green, red and white)

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché: Gary Thorne: Center, shot, SCORE!!!

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only): Stevens on Lindros

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture: Tupac in a Red Wings jersey and the Mighty Ducks movie

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure: Martin Brodeur's rookie card (with his haircut and stache)

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most? That he allowed a team move to Canada

nWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:55 PM
crediblepest
Bern-YAY!

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate: Dan Carcillo

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For: Minnesota Wild

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time: Colton Orr vs Matt Carkner Feb 6th, 2010

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most: Atlanta's 3rd Jersey

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché: "Holy Mackinaw what a hit!"

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only): Bryan Berard's eye injury will haunt me for the rest of my life..

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture: Miracle.

8. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most? :The Parity and the "New" NHL

crediblepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:10 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
1. The Player You Most Love To Hate: Loluongo.

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For: Flyers

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time:

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most:

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché: "Day to day with an upper body injury"

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture:

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure.: Never collected cards. That Bure one was pretty good.

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most?: Going away from ESPN and sticking with NBC.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:24 PM
SkerZ
LGR

1. The Player You Most Love To Hate: Kyle okposo (my brothers obsessed with him and gets so mad when I hate)

2. Other Than Your Own, The Team You Can't Help Rooting For: Carolina

3. Favorite Fight or Brawl of All-Time: M. Staal vs Semin

4. The Hideous-Looking Hockey Jersey You Secretly Love The Most: Caps million stars old school jersey

5. Your Favorite Hockey Cliché: We just have to keep grinding and get pucks to the net...

6. The Injury You Couldn't Stop Staring At (Non-Skate Lacerations Only): Chara on Max P this past season

7. Your Favorite Cheesy Hockey Reference in Popular Culture: He's a Torts kinda guy

8. Your Favorite Terrible Hockey Card Or Hockey Action Figure: Jagrs young mullet

9. Finally, What's The Thing You Secretly Respect Gary Bettman For The Most: not crying when being booed by 20 thousand people to the point you couldn't hear him on the microphone lol

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote