Mark Scheifele (C) - Barrie Colts (OHL)
Selected Round 1, #7 Overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft

-----------------------------------

Number 2

Carl Klingberg (LW) - Timra IK (SEL)
Selected Round 2, #34 Overall in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft

-----------------------------------

Number 3

Patrice Cormier (C) - Winnipeg Jets (NHL)
Selected Round 2, #54 Overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft

-------------------------------------

Number 4

Jason Gregoire (LW) - University of North Dakota (WCHA)
Selected Round 3, #76 Overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft

------------------------------------

Number 5

Paul Postma (D) - Chicago Wolves (AHL)
Selected Round 7, #205 Overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft

---------------------------------------

Number 6

Ivan Telegin (C) - Barrie Colts (OHL)
Selected Round 4, #101 Overall in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft

------------------------------------------

Number 7

Spencer Machacek (RW) - Chicago Wolves (AHL)
Selected Round 3, #67 Overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft

------------------------------------------

Number 8

Adam Lowry (LW) - Swift Current Broncos (WHL)
Selected Round 3, #67 Overall in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft

----------------------------------------

Number 9

Eric O'Dell (C) - Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
Selected Round 2, #39 Overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft

Number 10

Ben Maxwell (C) - Winnipeg Jets (NHL)
Selected Round 2, #49 Overall in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft

Number 11

Arturs Kulda (D) - Chicago Wolves (AHL)
Selected Round 7, #200 Overall in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft

DMaz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

vCash: 500
I'll go with Yuen.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

vCash: 69
Yuen.

08-10-2011, 02:26 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Yuen.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
PaperRockChamp

Melchiori

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
trebendan

Redmond - NCAA All-Star (2nd team, I think). I'll be curious to see how he does in training camp, considering he's had 4 years of college experience.

By the way, is G Alex Kangas still a prospect? He finished 4 years of college and the Jets haven't signed him.

trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Huffer

I'm not the type to say that draft position means everything, but what has happened in the last 2 months that would put Yuen ahead of Serville? It's not like they were drafted years ago and Yuen has developed at a higher pace. Serville was drafted a round earlier than Yuen only two months ago. Are we already saying it was a poor pick (Serville)?

Are we ranking guys like Yuen and Serville ahead of guys like Leveille and Melchiori because Yuen and Serville are new? Leveille was a 1st round pick, and Melchiori is 6'3" and drafted in the 3rd round. I admit that I don't know much about them, but have they totally fallen off the map? It would seem so if we are already putting Yuen ahead of them.

Can anyone provide some background on Melchiori and Leveille?

Thanks.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I'm not the type to say that draft position means everything, but what has happened in the last 2 months that would put Yuen ahead of Serville? It's not like they were drafted years ago and Yuen has developed at a higher pace. Serville was drafted a round earlier than Yuen only two months ago. Are we already saying it was a poor pick (Serville)?

Are we ranking guys like Yuen and Serville ahead of guys like Leveille and Melchiori because Yuen and Serville are new? Leveille was a 1st round pick, and Melchiori is 6'3" and drafted in the 3rd round. I admit that I don't know much about them, but have they totally fallen off the map? It would seem so if we are already putting Yuen ahead of them.

Thanks.
leveille was a reach when he was drafted. he might make the nhl, might not.

melchiori is probably the 2nd best d prospect behind postma. he'll be a 2nd pairing d-man if he develops right.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 04:40 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Yuen cause he likes to play the organ... I mean piano.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post

Thanks.
It's become a popularity contest. People vote for who they know, even if another prospect has more potential. This has been happening since the prospect #7. To me I base prospect rankings on potential, NHL readiness and the ability to reach their ceilings. The way I view it is if I was GM who would I least like to trade out of my prospect pool. Then you get the idea of importance and value.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Crystal Pepsi

Going for Yuen this round (like I did last round). Anyone who can drop the gloves and fight with the best of them and play the piano with the same pair of hands is OK in my book

Crystal Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Le Golie

It's completely illogical to pick a guy who was taken 40+ picks after another guy in this poll.

As Paradise said, people are just picking Yuen because they saw him being interviewed and recognize his name.

I'm taking Serville because it's the logical thing to do.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:55 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1

I'm gonna vote for Zachary Yuen until he wins.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:58 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
It's completely illogical to pick a guy who was taken 40+ picks after another guy in this poll.

As Paradise said, people are just picking Yuen because they saw him being interviewed and recognize his name.

That implies however that draft position is like word of God. Just because player is A is drafted first doesn't mean he WILL be better than player B.

Fact of the matter is that Yuen played better competition than Serville. And Yuen was a steal where we got him in the draft.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

Quote:

I don't agree with this at all, nor do I view it as a popularity thing. For me personally, I like that Yuen has 2 years in the WHL to his name while Serville is just heading to Michigan this season after spending the last 2 years playing OJHL.

Now, that is not a knock on him by any means, obviously he's got talent and is doing something right since he was a 3rd round pick. I have very little doubt about Serville and I think he will really shine at Michigan under Red Berenson. But, i'd like to see it first. With a good season in Michigan, Serville will likely climb these charts in a years time, perhaps up to the 2-5 position. We'll see.

That is where I stand, and it isn't anything to do with popularity or an interview. As of right now I personally believe Yuen has solid top 4 potential where Serville could be more of a one-dimensional offensive defenceman. I could very well be wrong given the limited information and/or development of the two players respectively, so we'll see how they progress in the next year or two and beyond.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I don't agree with this at all, nor do I view it as a popularity thing. For me personally, I like that Yuen has 2 years in the WHL to his name while Serville is just heading to Michigan this season after spending the last 2 years playing OJHL.

Now, that is not a knock on him by any means, obviously he's got talent and is doing something right since he was a 3rd round pick. I have very little doubt about Serville and I think he will really shine at Michigan under Red Berenson. But, i'd like to see it first. With a good season in Michigan, Serville will likely climb these charts in a years time, perhaps up to the 2-5 position. We'll see.

That is where I stand, and it isn't anything to do with popularity or an interview. As of right now I personally believe Yuen has solid top 4 potential where Serville could be more of a one-dimensional offensive defenceman. I could very well be wrong given the limited information and/or development of the two players respectively, so we'll see how they progress in the next year or two and beyond.
Well the way I look at it, 30 NHL GM's had an opportunity to draft Yuen before the Jets did and nobody did. And if the Jets didn't believe Serville was a better prospect than Yuen, they wouldn't have drafted him 40 some picks higher than Yuen.

So we know for sure that at least one NHL team believes Serville is a better prospect than Yuen, the Jets.

And we don't have any evidence to show that any NHL teams believe Yuen is a better prospect than Serville.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:27 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1

Quote:
Well the way I look at it, 30 NHL GM's had an opportunity to draft Yuen before the Jets did and nobody did. And if the Jets didn't believe Serville was a better prospect than Yuen, they wouldn't have drafted him 40 some picks higher than Yuen.

So we know for sure that at least one NHL team believes Serville is a better prospect than Yuen, the Jets.

And we don't have any evidence to show that any NHL teams believe Yuen is a better prospect than Serville.
You make a good point there Le Golie. Too bad I can't change my vote.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:30 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Serville was a reach in many peoples opinions, his final rank by Central Scouting was 104. We took him at 78. So I could argue that it's possible he would have slide a lot further had we not drafted him.

Yuen on the other hand was ranked 69th by Central Scouting and we got him at 119. He was by all accounts a steal.

To say that because Serville was taken first all GM's must feel he's better is silly. Our GM thought he was a better pick, Central Scouting would have disagreed. We'll never know how the 29 other Gm's felt because we don't know where they would have choosen each player. Everyone here can disagree with Chevy and I think that is being shown in the poll results.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

Also, for what it may be worth, Yuen was ranked 69th by NHL Central Scouting, Serville 104th.

Obviously Serville was selected before, but even so, who knows how these kids pan out and develop. As I talked about the other day, draft rankings are not the be all, end all, however it at least indicates Yuen perhaps isn't on an entirely different island than Serville.

Again, I understand Serville was picked ahead of Yuen, and evidently many teams and GM's may feel Serville is the better of the two, but I can still make list upon list of players who were picked higher than others on draft day but didnt turn out to be the better player. And of course I know that works both ways, but I really don't agree with just because Serville was taken before Yuen, that that means Serville is and will potentially be the better player. I know that can sound a bit odd, but it's what I believe.

Both Yuen and Serville are fine picks, in my opinion and I don't believe today they're all that far apart.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-11-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Typos (was on my smartphone)
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Serville was a reach in many peoples opinions, his final rank by Central Scouting was 104. We took him at 78. So I could argue that it's possible he would have slide a lot further had we not drafted him.

Yuen on the other hand was ranked 69th by Central Scouting and we got him at 119. He was by all accounts a steal.

To say that because Serville was taken first all GM's must feel he's better is silly. Our GM thought he was a better pick, Central Scouting would have disagreed. We'll never know how the 29 other Gm's felt because we don't know where they would have choosen each player. Everyone here can disagree with Chevy and I think that is being shown in the poll results.
I never said that at all. That would be a dumb suggestion quite frankly. All I stated is that we only know for a fact that one team believes Serville is a better prospect than Yuen and that there is no evidence that any other teams would have taken Yuen ahead of Serville, which is all true.

Do I believe there are some teams who had Yuen ahead of Serville? Yeah probably. Some teams probably didn't have Serville on their final lists at all, and some teams probably didn't have Yuen on their lists either.

But all we know for sure is what I said.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Yuen because he's Asian like me

That's right, we run this city

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Sunshine36616

Has Levko Koper been mentioned in the polls? He had an outstanding season last year with Spokane. Part of that could be that he's 20 now, but I've seen him at two camps and was impressed. I'm guessing he will be with the Wolves next season? I would flip my **** if he played for Gwinnett.

I've seen two camps with Ben Chiarot and Jordan Samuel-Thomas as well, they've had decent seasons. Jordan scored 3 goals when Bowling Green State (don't laugh, Dan Bylsma went there) was in the Play Offs.

Time for some goalie love! I wouldn't be surprised to see Pasquale in Chicago again next season. He's definitely more ready than Carrozzi.

Melchiori only had 19 points, only one of which was a goal, in 63 games!

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
Has Levko Koper been mentioned in the polls? He had an outstanding season last year with Spokane. Part of that could be that he's 20 now, but I've seen him at two camps and was impressed. I'm guessing he will be with the Wolves next season? I would flip my **** if he played for Gwinnett.

I've seen two camps with Ben Chiarot and Jordan Samuel-Thomas as well, they've had decent seasons. Jordan scored 3 goals when Bowling Green State (don't laugh, Dan Bylsma went there) was in the Play Offs.

Time for some goalie love! I wouldn't be surprised to see Pasquale in Chicago again next season. He's definitely more ready than Carrozzi.
They're only going to Chicago if we trade them to Vancouver! It's St. John's now.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:44 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I took your post to mean that because the 29 other GM's didn't take Yuen earlier than the Jets took Serville they must not have had Yuen ranked higher, which obviously would have been a flawed position.

And this whole discussion isn't about where the Jets had the two players ranked. It's about where we think they should be ranked in our prospect pool. So to say it's illogical for us to disagree with the Jets assessment is somewhat of an odd position to take.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
They're only going to Chicago if we trade them to Vancouver! It's St. John's now.
Durp! You are correct sir. Old habits die hard lol.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote