HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thursday, August 11 Jets Papers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-11-2011, 08:49 AM
  #1
ICdave
HFB Partner
 
ICdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,193
vCash: 500
Thursday, August 11 Jets Papers

Thursday, August 11 Jets Papers

National Post: Jets take aim at scalping with ticket resale site. Many teams (if not all) around the league have these types of safeguards in place to ensure tickets can be bought/sold without massive markups.

Winnipeg Free Press: Coach Noel like his chances. Really nice interview by Lawless and probably the most important quote for Jets fans who have been debating about whether the Jets could make the playoffs was this one:
Quote:
“We have a chance to make the playoffs. We do have a hockey team. We have elements. Are we a couple of guys away from a forward standpoint? These things will work themselves out. But we will be challenged. When I say challenged, I think it’s a good challenge. But the one thing I like about our group is we have youth, and with youth you have growth and upside. I think we have a real good chance to have improvement. What level of improvement? Are we gonna be the most improved team in the NHL and go from 80 points to 95 and make the playoffs? We’re gonna need all we can get, but I think we have that chance.”
Winnipeg Sun: Jets logo under fire. Guess we shouldn’t expect the Weakerthan’s to be performing during intermission at a Jets game anytime soon. For the last time I’m gonna ask this question; Does this logo offend you in any way?

Chris D: Online Jets tickets, gear shrouded with word of caution. When buying anything online, always remember that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Fox News: Jets season ticket holder able to see ducats they can’t use on secure website. This should prove to be a very popular (secure) forum for people to dispose of tickets.

Around the NHL
:

Totonto Sun: K.C. covets an NHL team. You’re hearing K.C.’s name dropped more and more in terms of a location for a relocated NHL team.


The Tennessean: Preds look at rookies for defense. One of those Central division teams I will be eager to watch next season.

NHL.com: Oilers have playoffs on the radar. Continuing with the 30 in 30, the young gun Oilers are eager to take the next step. I am quite excited to watch the Oilers and Jets, both very young teams, mature and battle over the next few years, hopefully renewing that amazing Smythe division rivalry (with better results this time for the Jets 2.0 of course).


Last edited by ICdave: 08-11-2011 at 06:05 PM.
ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:31 AM
  #2
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,507
vCash: 500
John K. Samson is a great musician and songwriter, but yeah, not exactly surprised he would be down on the new logo. Can't wait to hear what former bandmate Chris Hannah has to say about it. Youtube the song "Dear Coach's Corner", that should give you an idea...

I'm getting pretty tired of discussing the new logo and the military connections. All I really have left to say is that the logo, like any symbol, is going to be interpreted differently by everyone. I prefer to think of it as an homage to Winnipeg's past, nothing more, nothing less.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:33 AM
  #3
Damascus
Registered User
 
Damascus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 523
vCash: 500
What a silly looking arena there K.C....

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:41 AM
  #4
Guerzy
Serenity
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I'm getting pretty tired of discussing the new logo and the military connections. All I really have left to say is that the logo, like any symbol, is going to be interpreted differently by everyone. I prefer to think of it as an homage to Winnipeg's past, nothing more, nothing less.
I agree. I don't get why some always have to take it further than it has to be taken. Like, Tampa Bay Lightning (Lightning kills people), Colorado Avalanche (Avalanches kill people), Carolina Hurricanes (Hurricanes kill people), San Jose Sharks (Sharks kill people).

Just let it go, people.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:47 PM
  #5
JetFan4Ever
Registered User
 
JetFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I agree. I don't get why some always have to take it further than it has to be taken. Like, Tampa Bay Lightning (Lightning kills people), Colorado Avalanche (Avalanches kill people), Carolina Hurricanes (Hurricanes kill people), San Jose Sharks (Sharks kill people).

Just let it go, people.
I came back from Sudan in 2009 after a six month peacekeeping mission and I don't remember seeing any sharks wearing a blue beret, delivering international aid or monitoring the peace agreement.

I agree nay sayers, let it go!

JetFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:54 PM
  #6
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,973
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan4Ever View Post
I came back from Sudan in 2009 after a six month peacekeeping mission and I don't remember seeing any sharks wearing a blue beret, delivering international aid or monitoring the peace agreement.

I agree nay sayers, let it go!
Very true

However I have seen shark with a freaking lazer beam attached to it's forehead

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:10 PM
  #7
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,323
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Very true

However I have seen shark with a freaking lazer beam attached to it's forehead
A FREAKIN SHARK WITH A FREAKIN LAZER BEAM ATTACHED TO ITS FREAKIN HEAD?!?!?!?!?! FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
  #8
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,935
vCash: 500
Throw me a frickin bone already.....

puck stoppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:41 PM
  #9
Guerzy
Serenity
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,562
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Very true

However I have seen shark with a freaking lazer beam attached to it's forehead
You DID NOT go there...




Yes... you did.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:42 PM
  #10
justincredible
Registered User
 
justincredible's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
Who cares what the weakerthans have to say. That band is the biggest joke in Winnipeg, i hope they stay far away from singing at any games

justincredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:00 PM
  #11
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
John K. Samson is a great musician and songwriter, but yeah, not exactly surprised he would be down on the new logo. Can't wait to hear what former bandmate Chris Hannah has to say about it. Youtube the song "Dear Coach's Corner", that should give you an idea...

I'm getting pretty tired of discussing the new logo and the military connections. All I really have left to say is that the logo, like any symbol, is going to be interpreted differently by everyone. I prefer to think of it as an homage to Winnipeg's past, nothing more, nothing less.
Me too.

I do not get his arguement that if you wear a Jets jersey your supporting the murder of civilians.

Using his logic, if you wear a Canucks jersey, you support rioting and anarchists.

Hopefully, it will disappear when the season starts.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:01 PM
  #12
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
#FreeHutch
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
That band is the biggest joke in Winnipeg, i hope they stay far away from singing at any games
Yeah, somehow I don't think you'll have to worry about that...

...Burton Cummings on the other hand

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:28 PM
  #13
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,973
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
A FREAKIN SHARK WITH A FREAKIN LAZER BEAM ATTACHED TO ITS FREAKIN HEAD?!?!?!?!?! FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
You DID NOT go there...




Yes... you did.
Sorry boys!
I couldn't resist that one!

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
  #14
ICdave
HFB Partner
 
ICdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,193
vCash: 500
Prospect Pulse: The Right Path

Kyle took a look at which is the right path for young players, NCAA or CHL.

Over the last month or so, I have been reviewing the Jets’ prospects and trying to get up to speed with each kid’s developmental path, issues that have come to light since they were drafted/signed and then trying to extrapolate where they are headed as a player.

Running parallel to this research is my interest in the ongoing battle between the NCAA and the CHL. The CHL has had a good summer on the battlefront, luring several big name draftees (Miller, Gibson et al.) away from their college commitments. The NCAA is obviously chagrined, and the usual war of words (better NHL-track, more games, money changing hands, etc.) has been keeping the dog days of summer interesting.


More on this ongoing battle in player development after the jump.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:44 PM
  #15
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,323
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgMikos View Post
Kyle took a look at which is the right path for young players, NCAA or CHL.....
One aspect often overlooked is that the CHL offers scholarships which in many respects are superior to those offered by the NCAA.

I follow the Manitoba Bisons very closely (check my Bison Thread on these very forums) and in Canada West the vast majority of players on the leading teams are WHL grads playing on scholarships earned playing major junior hockey. Players get a year of scholarship for every year of major junior played. This can be better than an NCAA deal because:

- NCAA scholarships are NEVER a multi-year commitment, i.e. if a player gets a 100% scholarship in year 1 there is no commitment that it will be 100% in year 2 and beyond. Since US tuition can be quite high, a player might not be able to afford the 25% or 50% which might not be covered. This happens because scholarships are like the salary cap in the NHL. Some conferences (or schools within a conference) have restrictions on their number. If a program changes coaches then to rebuild they might offer 100% to new recruits and might not care if a 3rd or 4th year player has to leave as a result.

- The CHL scholarship goes with the player. He can use it to get a degree at a school with a hockey team, and can keep playing hockey, or he can use it at a school which does not even have a team. Look at last year's list at GoBisons.ca or CanadaWest.org for a full list of the 275 players and how they utilized their scholarships.

- A CHL grad cannot lose the scholarship due to not getting along with a coach, being cut, or being injured. Once earned, he has it to use where he chooses. The school cannot take it from him.

- A CHL grad can even give pro hockey a try. However, every year at Christmas time players have to make decisions as to whether to stay pro and let their scholarships lapse or dump pro (for now) and utilize their scholarship. Some guys figure they'll see if they have a shot at the AHL and if it does not look good they turn to the CIS. The Bisons always have a player or two who has had a taste of pro hockey.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:05 PM
  #16
ICdave
HFB Partner
 
ICdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
One aspect often overlooked is that the CHL offers scholarships which in many respects are superior to those offered by the NCAA.

I follow the Manitoba Bisons very closely (check my Bison Thread on these very forums) and in Canada West the vast majority of players on the leading teams are WHL grads playing on scholarships earned playing major junior hockey. Players get a year of scholarship for every year of major junior played. This can be better than an NCAA deal because:

- NCAA scholarships are NEVER a multi-year commitment, i.e. if a player gets a 100% scholarship in year 1 there is no commitment that it will be 100% in year 2 and beyond. Since US tuition can be quite high, a player might not be able to afford the 25% or 50% which might not be covered. This happens because scholarships are like the salary cap in the NHL. Some conferences (or schools within a conference) have restrictions on their number. If a program changes coaches then to rebuild they might offer 100% to new recruits and might not care if a 3rd or 4th year player has to leave as a result.

- The CHL scholarship goes with the player. He can use it to get a degree at a school with a hockey team, and can keep playing hockey, or he can use it at a school which does not even have a team. Look at last year's list at GoBisons.ca or CanadaWest.org for a full list of the 275 players and how they utilized their scholarships.

- A CHL grad cannot lose the scholarship due to not getting along with a coach, being cut, or being injured. Once earned, he has it to use where he chooses. The school cannot take it from him.

- A CHL grad can even give pro hockey a try. However, every year at Christmas time players have to make decisions as to whether to stay pro and let their scholarships lapse or dump pro (for now) and utilize their scholarship. Some guys figure they'll see if they have a shot at the AHL and if it does not look good they turn to the CIS. The Bisons always have a player or two who has had a taste of pro hockey.
That's really interesting stuff. I'm gonna pass it along to Kyle. Can i post in our comments section (or you are welcome to post yourself) as I think its something to be considered by our readers.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 08:29 PM
  #17
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan
 
Hollywood3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,323
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgMikos View Post
That's really interesting stuff. I'm gonna pass it along to Kyle. Can i post in our comments section (or you are welcome to post yourself) as I think its something to be considered by our readers.
Go ahead and do the cut and paste if you wish. Just throw in a link to the Bison schedule.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.