Austen Brassard - RW 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Le Golie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I took your post to mean that because the 29 other GM's didn't take Yuen earlier than the Jets took Serville they must not have had Yuen ranked higher. which obviously would have been a flawed position.

And this whole discussion isn't about where the Jets had the two players ranked. It's about where we think they should be ranked in our prospect pool. So to say it's illogical for us to disagree with the Jets assessment is somewhat of an odd position to take.
The nature of fans like us is to always second guess NHL GM's and come up with our own assessments for players and value ours more than the assessments made by professional scouting staffs. We all do it.

Seeing as the draft was just over a month ago and nobody has touched the ice since then to improve or stagnate, I'm going to stick with the opinion of the professional team of scouts employed by an NHL club and vote for Serville ahead of Yuen.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
Has Levko Koper been mentioned in the polls? He had an outstanding season last year with Spokane. Part of that could be that he's 20 now, but I've seen him at two camps and was impressed. I'm guessing he will be with the Wolves next season? I would flip my **** if he played for Gwinnett.

I've seen two camps with Ben Chiarot and Jordan Samuel-Thomas as well, they've had decent seasons. Jordan scored 3 goals when Bowling Green State (don't laugh, Dan Bylsma went there) was in the Play Offs.

Time for some goalie love! I wouldn't be surprised to see Pasquale in Chicago again next season. He's definitely more ready than Carrozzi.

Melchiori only had 19 points, only one of which was a goal, in 63 games!
Levko Koper will be playing for the Alberta Bears (University of Alberta).

http://boxscorenews.com/deep-and-tal...-p24478-68.htm

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:53 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
The nature of fans like us is to always second guess NHL GM's and come up with our own assessments for players and value ours more than the assessments made by professional scouting staffs. We all do it.

Seeing as the draft was just over a month ago and nobody has touched the ice since then to improve or stagnate, I'm going to stick with the opinion of the professional team of scouts employed by an NHL club and vote for Serville ahead of Yuen.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think that clearly Central Scouting, who's only job is to scout players for the NHL felt Yuen was a much better prospect. And to me what I've read and heard about both players indicates that Yuen is a safer choice to be an NHL player. I'm not going to ignore the information available just because of draft position.

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Levko Koper will be playing for the Alberta Bears (University of Alberta).

http://boxscorenews.com/deep-and-tal...-p24478-68.htm
Thanks for the update! I didn't know that. I've enjoyed following him. I figured it was too much to hope for that he would be in Gwinnett.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Can I pic Machacek yet or is Le Golie gonna get pissed at me again

08-11-2011, 01:17 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I voted Aliu on this one.

He might not put up a lot of points (even though he did put up 9 points in 16 games with Peoria last year), but he's physical and will probably make the team in a year from now as a 3rd liner.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:31 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I voted Aliu on this one.

He might not put up a lot of points (even though he did put up 9 points in 16 games with Peoria last year), but he's physical and will probably make the team in a year from now as a 3rd liner.
He's got questions regarding his character and low hockey IQ. IMO I'd like to see him removed from the organization at the first sign of any issues. I've heard words like "looker room cancer" and "immaturity issues" used to describe him in the past.

BTW, I'm also not trying to be mean in anyway and I hope he matures/develops into a solid player.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:52 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
He's got questions regarding his character and low hockey IQ. IMO I'd like to see him removed from the organization at the first sign of any issues. I've heard words like "looker room cancer" and "immaturity issues" used to describe him in the past.

BTW, I'm also not trying to be mean in anyway and I hope he matures/develops into a solid player.
Whew! For a second I thought you WERE trying to be mean

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:29 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Whew! For a second I thought you WERE trying to be mean
Never

Old
08-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Sunshine36616

Quote:

I got to watch Akim at the 2010 camp and I saw none of this cancer talk. He and Burmistrov were having a good time on the ice together. His team seemed to enjoy playing with him, there were a lot of smiles coming off the ice. I think a lot of his reputation stems from the incident with Steve Downie and I can't say I blame him much, but it IS part of the game I guess. For those that don't know:
Quote:
Not long after being drafted, Downie was suspended for five games early in the 2005–06 OHL season for an on-ice altercation with teammate Akim Aliu. During a practice on September 28, 2005, Downie blindly cross-checked Aliu in the face without warning, knocking out 3 of his teeth, and then proceeded to fight his smaller, younger teammate.[1] The incident stemmed from 16-year-old Aliu's refusal to take part in a hazing incident, where he would have been forced to stand naked in a cramped bus bathroom with other rookies. The team suspended Downie for five games and Aliu for one, and Downie was told to undergo professional counseling. Head coach Moe Mantha, Jr. was suspended by the OHL and later fired by the team, and the team was fined $35,000 by the OHL.[2] Downie left the team, requesting a trade, and was eventually traded from the Windsor Spitfires, going to the Peterborough Petes in exchange for Peter Aston.

Old
08-11-2011, 06:55 AM
TroubaFan1

I vote for Melchiori. Ive heard nothing but good things about this guy!

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 08:00 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Yuen for sure

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
I got to watch Akim at the 2010 camp and I saw none of this cancer talk. He and Burmistrov were having a good time on the ice together. His team seemed to enjoy playing with him, there were a lot of smiles coming off the ice. I think a lot of his reputation stems from the incident with Steve Downie and I can't say I blame him much, but it IS part of the game I guess. For those that don't know:
A thread from the Chicago boards, there's more if you look around.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=516562

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-th...ng-568855.html

Quote:
Akim Aliu has a reputation. In his own words, its not squeaky clean.
Quote:
Its who I am, Aliu said at this week's Thrashers prospect development camp. Im a pretty outspoken guy and I speak my mind. A lot of people respect that and some people dont. There are definitely lessons to be learned in the bits of trouble that Ive gotten into over my career. It definitely set me back."
Quote:
Akims been his own worst enemy. I think he will admit that but I know the kid very well. I like him a lot. Hes got some things to work with and deal with. Hes a good guy. Hes just got to figure it out that there will be a role assigned to him and hes got to do that role.

Old
08-11-2011, 10:03 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
I vote for Melchiori. Ive heard nothing but good things about this guy!
This kid will be in the NHL someday. I really think we'll see him as the top rated D prospect real soon.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
A thread from the Chicago boards, there's more if you look around.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=516562

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-th...ng-568855.html
Most of the negative vibes about Aliu are still due to the Downie incident and he was only 16! He got sent home form Sudbury because of disagreements with the coach over penalties. That's apparently one of his big knocks, taking bad penalties.

I didn't vote for him, I voted for Pasquale lol. I'm not sure when or if he'll be NHL ready, but I think he gets an unfair wrap with the whole "locker room cancer" thing. Sounds like a hot headed kid who is working to mature. I wish him the best. I wanted to get to a Gwinnett game when he was playing a stint there, but never did.

Thanks for that article about him! That's great information.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
This kid will be in the NHL someday. I really think we'll see him as the top rated D prospect real soon.
Agreed. Especially if he can start seeing some more ice time, his team (the kitchener rangers) is pretty stacked on D, so if guys like Ryan Murphy get some chances with the big club Melchiori could see some more ice time and hopefully run with it.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Agreed. Especially if he can start seeing some more ice time, his team (the kitchener rangers) is pretty stacked on D, so if guys like Ryan Murphy get some chances with the big club Melchiori could see some more ice time and hopefully run with it.
He was actually paired with Murphy. He just didn't see much PP time.

Old
08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
He was actually paired with Murphy. He just didn't see much PP time.
Wow, nice to know. Was that their second pairing?

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote