HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jarred Tinordi makes first cut (15 players) at US camp

Old
08-11-2011, 09:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Don't really know much about Levi. What would you say Tinordi's chances are if you had to give a number?
Honestly I couldn't really say. I don't know much about Levi except that he plays a similar kind of game to Tinordi (big shutdown defenseman). From the stuff I've read from people who are watching the camp, it seems like a toss-up - some like Tinordi, some like Levi, but there doesn't seem to be a big gap between the two.

I guess something that could work against Tinordi is being undisciplined, in reference to the 4 penalties he took in the scrimmage the other day. It's great as a Habs fan to read about him being nasty and racking up the PIMs, but it could work against him when it comes to making the team. Discipline is obviously a hugely regarded factor in any short tourney.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:03 AM
WestIslander

Tinordi = Hal Gill with better skating and more talent

He will not be a Chara or Pronger unless we luck out and he develops into a better player than he can be.

He is exactly what we need to play with puck moving defenseman of the future like Subban, Emelin and Beaulieu in the future.

Defense in three years:

Markov - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Gorges - Emelin

I don't see Weber being in Montreal's long term plans.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:10 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

He will not be a Chara or Pronger unless we luck out and he develops into a better player than he can be.

He is exactly what we need to play with puck moving defenseman of the future like Subban, Emelin and Beaulieu in the future.

Defense in three years:

Markov - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Gorges - Emelin

Haters gonna hate.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:46 AM
neofury*

Weber is the kind of player I could see going either way. If a competitive offer comes in this year I could see him gone but I could just as easily see our GM holding onto him because cheap RFA players who play well are great to have.

That being said we don't really need the cap room right now and if some kind of package of Weber, Kostitsyn, 1st etc could be used to land a guy like Iginla from a team rebuilding (just an example) even though he's older now I'd take the gamble. I love Weber and Kostitsyn, I also love prospects (1st pick) but if you can move up to a top 5 pick in this years draft and/or grab an Iginla for a playoff run.... I'd say it's at least a risk worth considering. Our D is stacked in prospects, losing Weber an offensive D might not be so bad. Diaz could potentially be his replacement and I think the org is banking on it.

Reuniting Cammy with Ignila centered by Plekanec is a dream of mine though. Heck Ignila in a habs uniform is a dream of mine. I want this guy before it's too late. I think we all know what an on his game Iginla brings to the table.

Cammy-Plek-Iginla

Even in a defensive minded team I could see Plek hitting the 85 point mark if he were to play on a line like this all season. I also think if his wingers were Cammy and Iginla he'd take more risks offensively.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:33 AM
googlymoogly

I believe Pronger came into the league at around 205 lbs in his early seasons. So Tinordi at 215 is about the same size as Pronger was.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:18 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:

Defense in three years:

Markov - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Gorges - Emelin

you forgot the part i like most ........... He's way meaner too

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:57 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypacman8167 View Post
you forgot the part i like most ........... He's way meaner too
So in the end, the only thing he has in common with gill is that he's tall and plays defense?

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Tinordi is playing on the second pairing with Adam Clendening in today's game against Finland. Should have started a few minutes ago, actually.

Seth Jones is the scratch on defense.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:38 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Weber is the kind of player I could see going either way. If a competitive offer comes in this year I could see him gone but I could just as easily see our GM holding onto him because cheap RFA players who play well are great to have.

That being said we don't really need the cap room right now and if some kind of package of Weber, Kostitsyn, 1st etc could be used to land a guy like Iginla from a team rebuilding (just an example) even though he's older now I'd take the gamble. I love Weber and Kostitsyn, I also love prospects (1st pick) but if you can move up to a top 5 pick in this years draft and/or grab an Iginla for a playoff run.... I'd say it's at least a risk worth considering. Our D is stacked in prospects, losing Weber an offensive D might not be so bad. Diaz could potentially be his replacement and I think the org is banking on it.

Reuniting Cammy with Ignila centered by Plekanec is a dream of mine though. Heck Ignila in a habs uniform is a dream of mine. I want this guy before it's too late. I think we all know what an on his game Iginla brings to the table.

Cammy-Plek-Iginla

Even in a defensive minded team I could see Plek hitting the 85 point mark if he were to play on a line like this all season. I also think if his wingers were Cammy and Iginla he'd take more risks offensively.
I really doubt the organization is "banking" on Diaz being Weber's replacement. They've spent several years developing him, who knows what becomes of Diaz. They aren't related in any way though.

Your trade proposal would leave the habs WAY too top heavy with salaries for forwards. I don't like it. If the habs are moving Kosty a 1st and Weber I'd hope they get back a young guy with some upside, not an old guy who isn't as good as he used to be.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Connor Murphy is injured and will be out 3 to 4 months, so that could open a spot on defense, although with Tinordi being from the USNDTP I figured he would make this years team regardless.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Connor Murphy is injured and will be out 3 to 4 months, so that could open a spot on defense, although with Tinordi being from the USNDTP I figured he would make this years team regardless.
Ouch, the kid has some bad luck.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:54 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I believe Pronger came into the league at around 205 lbs in his early seasons. So Tinordi at 215 is about the same size as Pronger was.
Agree. Tinordi has the luxury of youth on his side. He still has time to add muscle to his lean frame.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Defense in three years:

Markov - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Gorges - Emelin

By the time Tinordi and Beaulieu arrive Markov could be done. I think Weber will be a key piece if they give him an opportunity.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
220 is still major skinny for a man his size. He won't be able to use his size to his advantage if he's not atleast 240 when he has a spot ith the Habs.
lol dude, just because he's 220 at 6"6 doesnt mean it feels like 170 when someone gets hit

its still, 220 pounds.

240 might make him too slow if anything.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:05 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
lol dude, just because he's 220 at 6"6 doesnt mean it feels like 170 when someone gets hit

its still, 220 pounds.

240 might make him too slow if anything.
I couldn't care less how much he weighs, whatever weight they decide is the right one for his playing style I'm sure they'll do that. I dunno what he'll become but he's a pretty exciting commodity.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
So in the end, the only thing he has in common with gill is that he's tall and plays defense?
Don't forget they're both American and both have dirty blonde hair. That's four things in common.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:42 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Don't forget they're both American and both have dirty blonde hair. That's four things in common.
My mistake, they're practically the same person.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:14 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
My mistake, they're practically the same person.
Can anybody confirm the Tinordi played quarterback in high school like Gill did

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Saw 3 different mock lineups in the U.S. WJC thread (from posters who I assume are following the camp closer than I) and one has Tinordi in, one has him out, and one has him as the 7th D. Guess it could really go any way.

Old
08-12-2011, 09:27 AM
neofury*

Oh come on

That really narrows it down doesn't it

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:00 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Saw 3 different mock lineups in the U.S. WJC thread (from posters who I assume are following the camp closer than I) and one has Tinordi in, one has him out, and one has him as the 7th D. Guess it could really go any way.
Where's this thread located?

Really hope Tinordi makes it. I really like his upside as a shutdown D, and heavyweight intimidator playing next to one of our scrappy offensive guys (Subban, Beaulieu, Emelin)

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:45 PM
SB164

Jarred Tinordi – The big defenseman needed to have a good camp, and he has so far. One thing I’ve noticed is that he’s seemed to improve his mobility and skating in general. That’s important for a guy his size. It’s also important for Team USA to have a big, physical presence on the back end. The way Tinordi has played will put him in a really good position to be that guy. He needed to be better and he has been.

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2011...5th-at-hlinka/

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

Cammy-Plek-Iginla

I allowed myself to daydream for less than a minute, then I snapped out of it.

Dude! Why would you torture yourself like that...

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:00 PM
pc_md

Some like, some don't...

Quote:
I also got a lot of questions about Jarred Tinordi…

He hasn't been playing bad, but it's hard to say he's been playing well considering he's been spending so much time in the penalty box. It's really out of control. He needs to reign that in and stop trying to take the easy way out of sticky situations and simply just work harder, move his feet and use his 6'6, 220 pound frame effectively and not recklessly. If he can do that and play a more disciplined brand of hockey, he will go far in his NHL career.

I hate to sound like a broken record here, but I still don't think the OHL is the best fit for him developmentally. Scouts have noted that this was an off year for him, but the only thing off about it is that OHL teams typically have a run-and-gun style of offense with very little defense. He is monumentally bigger and stronger than most of his opponents and while he's playing 25 minutes a game against the oppositions best two lines, I think he'd be more prepared to play (and make an impact) in the NHL if he were playing against guys who were older and better able to challenge him physically which is what will happen next season when he goes pro…but I digress!

What I like about watching him play at this camp is that he's being challenged and that's why you're seeing him play so undisciplined…he just hasn't learned how to handle playing against guys who are physically on his level yet, but in time…that will come. Whether it will come in time for him to be relied upon for this team is unknown. Right now, Stephen Johns is a better option in the role of BAMF defensemen simply because he has shown more discipline
According to this: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Julie...night/99/37517

Or...

Quote:
There was a lot of nastiness in the game. Jarred Tinordi took 4 penalties and is definitely a mean-spirited player. He is 6 foot, 7 inches, can skate fairly well for a big guy, and when he body checks someone into the boards, they really rattle. I was standing right up against the glass the entire game, and more than once Tinordi destroyed someone right in front of me and I thought they were going to come right through the boards. If he continues to develop, Montreal will be extremely happy with Tinordi. I do not see him as an offensive guy at all, but he will be a terror to play against.

pc_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Maxpac

People are dissapointed about his penalty

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote