HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Softest team this year?

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2011, 09:54 PM
brtriad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Chicago was the softest team last year. Carcillo, Mayers, and O'Donnell should help.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:54 PM
StellerEller
Playoffs!

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post

C'mon dude. Let's define "is" and get down to cases. You can accuse me of fancy language all you want, are you gonna call me a liar or aren't you?
Don't forget to respond to my post with the youtube videos, I'm really interested in seeing your response.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Hope Of Glory

Quote:
What's not fact?

That Subban grabbed Campbell's stick under his right armpit, looked around for a striped shirt, and deliberately hit the deck in the third period with his team down a goal?

That Wisniewski flinched his head back and felt his nose when Bergeron's stick didn't even come within 4 inches of his head with minutes to go in the third?

That Hamrlik's biggest faults on the Kelly goal to make it 3-2 were first failing to get a call on a borderline high-stick, and then not getting back up fast enough to get back into the play?

That Halpern deliberately ran facefirst into Ference and then fell to the ice like Andrew was made of depleted uranium?

Which one of these is not fact?
For the first 3, you're right I'll give you that. But for Halpern, seriously, you have to be a hell of a homer to think Ference didn't mean it. Maybe Jeff dived before or after, I don't know, but on this one it's your player's fault. Clearly.

It's a fact, because I tell you so, I saw this, it is. You can't change that. I'm 100% right no matter what.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch View Post
Bruins have divers too, btw...

(Im sure there is a reason why its okay for Marchand to act like that on the ice, right?)
The Bruins have divers. I know that Savard was a diver too. There's a difference between having one guy out there doing his thing, and having multiple players who embellish on a very regular basis as the Habs had last year.

Marchand is a chippy little pest who often behaves like an idiot. That's definitely something Bruins fans didn't love so much. He's tolerated because he scores goals and helps the team a great deal. The diving is an unpleasant part of a greater package. That's very different from having a whole stable of divers and embellishers as the Habs had last year.

I'm not unwilling to give the Habs a chance to prove that with some new personnel they won't be quite so divetastic. But given the lack of size that is still a problem on that team, I'm not holding my breath. When you have a small team, you almost have to dive. The alternative is people getting hurt, because you don't have the size to stand up to opponents and need to dive to protect yourself.

Old
It Was 4 to 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
Would Edmonton be considered soft? I'm not trying to pick on a division rival here, but it was a team that came to mind. Also the Islanders?
martin, haley, gillies, comeau

Old
CorsiCounter

Vancouver like usual.

Old
08-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Yep. That's why you obviously don't like what I'm saying, but would still rather snark me than actually try and refute anything I've said.
Because I know your type. You're so set in your thoughts that there's no getting through to you. This is clearly something that you firmly believe, and I doubt that anything I could say would change your mind, nor you for me.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yep. That's why you obviously don't like what I'm saying, but would still rather snark me than actually try and refute anything I've said.
or maybe the commentary/opinion that you try to pass as "stone cold facts" arent worth a quality response

Ill ask you again. Can you prove that diving is systemically part of the Habs game plan? I didnt know Jacques Martin had that kind of history in Florida and Ottawa. Weird how no ex-player has spilled the beans on this master plan. Get the tin foil hat off please. Try watching games with the TV muted, you might learn something.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucheneToEller View Post
For the first 3, you're right I'll give you that. But for Halpern, seriously, you have to be a hell of a homer to think Ference didn't mean it. Maybe Jeff dived before or after, I don't know, but on this one it's your player's fault. Clearly.

It's a fact, because I tell you so, I saw this, it is. You can't change that. I'm 100% right no matter what.
The heck? All Ference did was fail to move out of Halpern's way and maybe hold his shoulder rigid. Halpern did all the rest of the work. Meanwhile Ference is entitled to his space, which is one of multiple reasons that was not a penalty. Halpern was the one who moved into Ference for pity's sake.

The worst you can accuse Ference of on that play was not trying to deliberately NOT hit Halpern. Again, he's entitled to his space there. Halpern could have legitimately been charged with interference if it wasn't for the obvious concussion scare.

Speaking of which, that was an awfully short 15 minutes in a qulet room.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:07 PM
MyersMagic57*

Toronto overpaid for the softest player in the league!

Old
08-10-2011, 10:08 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
As a Habs fan, I agree the Habs do dive, but it's not like we're the exception to the rule. Our team is smaller, chances are they're gonna fall more often when pressured by bigger players?

But anyway, I gotta give this one to the Canucks. To me, diving is only part of what makes a team "soft," and the Canucks have its fair share of divers. Still, that's not the reason I think they're soft. Above all else, this one moment confirmed just how soft they were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEh53...eature=related

Sure, Marchand was a jackass there, as he always is, and Daniel could've manned up a bit, especially since the game was over. However, the fact that the entire team did not respond whatsoever was just laughable. The Habs may be small, they may dive their fair share, but they fight back till the mother****ing thing is over. Canucks showed how little mental fortitude they had there, and it was in that moment that they were toast.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
dahlenrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
True.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
But at the same time Toronto actually has a fairly gritty team outside of the top 6. They aren't soft anymore.

I wish my sheets were as soft as Connolly.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:12 PM
StellerEller
Playoffs!

Quote:
The Bruins have divers. I know that Savard was a diver too. There's a difference between having one guy out there doing his thing, and having multiple players who embellish on a very regular basis as the Habs had last year.

Marchand is a chippy little pest who often behaves like an idiot. That's definitely something Bruins fans didn't love so much. He's tolerated because he scores goals and helps the team a great deal. The diving is an unpleasant part of a greater package. That's very different from having a whole stable of divers and embellishers as the Habs had last year.

I'm not unwilling to give the Habs a chance to prove that with some new personnel they won't be quite so divetastic. But given the lack of size that is still a problem on that team, I'm not holding my breath. When you have a small team, you almost have to dive. The alternative is people getting hurt, because you don't have the size to stand up to opponents and need to dive to protect yourself.
This post is why I refuse to take you seriously. Thanks for reassuring me that you don't know what your talking about and that you're just a huge homer. Admitting marchand is a diver doesn't mean anything, especially since it just flows right back into the Bruins kool aid talk. The Bruins embellish and dive as much as the habs, or any other team in the league, and I find it very hard to believe that (Just because your team won the cup, it doesn't help you understand anything better.)

P.S. The bruins aren't that much bigger than the habs, if at all.

P.P.S. I've bolded everything in your post that is simply false.

1) Players who dive on the regular should be pointed out, but you can find someone on each team who dives, so its pretty unfair to paint every player with the same brush.

2)I don't (shouldn't) need to explain why this is a generalization and not true.

3)Montreal is fine with size atm, they have plenty of players who will stand up for one another (White, Moen, Gill, Gorges, Subban.) and yes, they have 3 small players: Gionta, Cammy, and DD. With the exception of DD, Cammy and Gionta are by no means soft (Especially Gionta).

Good thing montreal has players to fight when an opponent goes headhunting

Old
08-10-2011, 10:13 PM
CorsiCounter

Quote:
One player does not make a soft team. If that were the case then you may as well call the Flames soft because of Iginla or the Sharks soft because of Marleau.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:15 PM
CorsiCounter

Double

Old
08-10-2011, 10:19 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Toronto or Colorado

Old
08-10-2011, 10:29 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

vCash: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
I'm not allowed to voice my opinion on a message board? The TC asked a question, I answered.

Jeez I guess Ill just take my ball and go home too
I agree with you , the Habs have been " never say die " in the playoffs. I have been pulling for them because of just that. Win or lose there is zero quit in them.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Brock Anton
wat

Carolina.

And they all dive....

Old
08-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

Vancoucher

Old
08-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Brad View Post
Toronto or Colorado
Defenceman who lead league in hits + blocked shots as a d in Schenn, a nasty, physical defensive d man in Komi, Aulie, Phaneuf, bottom 6 which has grit (Orr/Rosehill, Brown, potentially Frattin as 3LW who certainly brings a big body which he likes to use, as well as Army who plays a gritty game). The top 6 is a bit on the soft side, with only MacArthur as a guy who will occasionally drop the gloves and Kulemin who will use his size adequetely but is still a softer player.

They certainly aren't the softest team. Gritty bottom 6 and d core makes up for any softness in the top 6.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:36 PM
jdmef8vtec*

im pretty sure the Bruins again, after 2 guys getting knocked the f out with no retaliation pretty pathetic.

Old
08-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Blueline Bomber
1st Overall Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
Carolina.

And they all dive....
Yep. So does Montreal, Boston, [insert team here]...

The whole stigma over being "divers" needs to die. Every team in the league dives as a strategy. There may be the few right, honorable players that won't go down to draw a penalty, but the majority of the league does. And why not? The refs aren't calling it, it gets their team an advantage more often than not, that's just being a good teammate.

Which is why the high and mighty posts about diving are hilarious, because every user on this board can think of a situation where their team drew a powerplay and the replay clearly shows embellishment. But when it's their team, it's just "Well, I don't like it, but I'll take it".

Old
08-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Leafs are really soft up front ... but our defense makes up for it

Old
08-10-2011, 10:40 PM
StellerEller
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bomb View Post
Yep. So does Montreal, Boston, [insert team here]...

The whole stigma over being "divers" needs to die. Every team in the league dives as a strategy. There may be the few right, honorable players that won't go down to draw a penalty, but the majority of the league does. And why not? The refs aren't calling it, it gets their team an advantage more often than not, that's just being a good teammate.

Which is why the high and mighty posts about diving are hilarious, because every user on this board can think of a situation where their team drew a powerplay and the replay clearly shows embellishment. But when it's their team, it's just "Well, I don't like it, but I'll take it".
This times 1000000000000000000. Diving shouldn't be in the game. It sucks. Period. But EVERYONE does it, unfortunately.

Closed Thread