HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Softest team this year?

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
The Habs have way more heart than Vancouver, there's more that goes into being soft than diving.
nvrmind

Last edited by Christina Woloski: 08-10-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old
08-10-2011, 10:47 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
Would Edmonton be considered soft? I'm not trying to pick on a division rival here, but it was a team that came to mind. Also the Islanders?
isles aren't soft

Old
08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Life is SO hard

Here's a tip, if it pains you so much to see people voice their opinions, stay off the web - it's a sespit full of them

o and, the thread absolutely has something to do with them, the OP asked who the softest team was, and my first thought was the Canucks, Im sorry my sole opinion disrupts your life so much.

Don't worry Doj, I know you're intelligent, you craft your posts like a fine Grecian sculpture. It's quite nice

Problem is your definition of the question is flawed in several ways. Primarily two:

1) Diving does not equate to 'softness'

2) With your logic, your team is also soft

Old
08-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Jdawg*
I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!

Old
08-10-2011, 10:54 PM
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBeReality View Post
Problem is your definition of the question is flawed in several ways. Primarily two:

1) Diving does not equate to 'softness'

2) With your logic, your team is also soft
To be honest, i don't consider diving a characteristic of softness much at all, I consider it a cheap tactic - no matter who does it, that includes mr marshmont

Softness to me is unwillingness to push back, mental break downs, acting tough and not backing it up - to name a few

Old
08-10-2011, 10:57 PM
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
I agree with you , the Habs have been " never say die " in the playoffs. I have been pulling for them because of just that. Win or lose there is zero quit in them.
Agreed. I actually have a lot of respect for the habs, I just could do without the diving, and the more than I'd like amount of annoying fans - But the habs never lay down, i give them a lot of credit for that

I also really like Carey Price

Old
08-10-2011, 10:59 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Does anyone know where to find an actual breakdown, per team, of types of penalties taken?

I would consider the softest team to be one that is very low in combined "tough" penalties. That includes majors and physical minor penalties like slashing, roughing, cross-checking, boarding, and the like

Old
08-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Edmonton went from softest to possibly toughest in the NW.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:03 PM
AidanPhalen13*

Montreal is the softest team by a lot. San Jose is the softest team by alot .

Old
08-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Agreed. I actually have a lot of respect for the habs, I just could do without the diving, and the more than I'd like amount of annoying fans - But the habs never lay down, i give them a lot of credit for that

I also really like Carey Price
Poor choice of words.

They're a dangerous opponent in the playoffs though, with a good idea of how to beat you at all times.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Kaner Coffee
Anna for Hart Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagedfightsrule View Post
What?!

They got Dan Carcillo, Sean O'Donnell, Jamal Mayers, and Steve Montador during the off-season. Throw in the super heavy weight John Scott, and I'd say they're one of the toughest teams in the league.

They also have guys like Seabrook and Bickell who love to throw their weight around.

As for the softest team, it's either Detroit (I know, shocker) or Vancouver. Both of practically no grit at all in their line-up.
you're really bad at recognizing trolls. That big green thing living under a bridge...is a troll.

I'm happy to say that the answer to this thread is not us!!! anymore

Old
08-10-2011, 11:05 PM
StellerEller

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Poor choice of words.

They're a dangerous opponent in the playoffs though, with a good idea of how to beat you at all times.
You never stop stirring the pot, do you?

Old
08-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

If you want to use mental fortitude instead of tactics, the softest team in the league right now is the Washington Capitals. They have been consistently regular season paper tigers who fold under playoff caliber adversity. They've underperformed their talent in the playoffs for each of the last few years, especially the last two.

Used to be Vancouver, but they actually beat good teams when the chips were down this year, it moves them down the list whatever happened in the Finals. Luongo nearly carried that team to a Cup they didn't earn, but they came up small as a team in game 7. They still had some great games and did a lot of winning this year.

You have to give a lifetime achievement award in team softness to the Sharks though. Every time it looks like they'll do something impressive they seem to find a way not to.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch View Post
You never stop stirring the pot, do you?
All I was doing there is picking the low hanging fruit.

Old
oilerfan1989*

Quote:
Montreal. They don't care about being dominated physically, they just start diving and turn it around on the physical team. They revel in softness. They prosper by softness. It's the softness of a willow tree. It's the softness of a silk bulletproof vest. Softness is one of their strengths. Going down like they're shot by a .50 cal gets them their beloved power plays, and allows them to just play a tight trap in 5 on 5 and wait for a team to get frustrated enough to give them more power plays. That's why a team that is so small can be so deadly at times.

It's a comprehensive strategy with them, and one that's built around other teams' ability to manhandle them physically, and turning that into a weapon for their own purposes. It's slick, professional, intelligent, and soft as melted ice cream.
We are all now dumber from reading this, and the rest of your posts.. Every team has divers.. That includes the bruins, habs, leafs, flames,oiler, canucks.. You cant tell me that boston only has one diver in marchant, cause thats a huge load of bs..
Sadly diving is part of the game, i hate it asmuch as the next person...

to the op. i think edmonton is one of the softest right now. we'll have to see what eager hordichuck and sutton bring.. other then edmonton, id say vancouver or minny aswell

Old
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Edmonton went from softest to possibly toughest in the NW.
Flames will still kick oiler ass

Old
08-10-2011, 11:11 PM
StellerEller

Quote:
All I was doing there is picking the low hanging fruit.
Atypical for a knuckle dragger, I thought you would be able to climb trees pretty easily.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

OK buddy, however you want it. But it wouldn't have you this riled up if there wasn't an element of truth to it.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:16 PM
TheArchitect*

Vancouver

Old
08-10-2011, 11:16 PM
StellerEller

Quote:
OK buddy, however you want it. But it wouldn't have you this riled up if there wasn't an element of truth to it.
Incorrect. I just don't like your reasoning or your lack of objectivity and tact.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:17 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

vCash: 519
Quote:
If you want to use mental fortitude instead of tactics, the softest team in the league right now is the Washington Capitals. They have been consistently regular season paper tigers who fold under playoff caliber adversity. They've underperformed their talent in the playoffs for each of the last few years, especially the last two.

Used to be Vancouver, but they actually beat good teams when the chips were down this year, it moves them down the list whatever happened in the Finals. Luongo nearly carried that team to a Cup they didn't earn, but they came up small as a team in game 7. They still had some great games and did a lot of winning this year.

You have to give a lifetime achievement award in team softness to the Sharks though. Every time it looks like they'll do something impressive they seem to find a way not to.
Maybe it was just me but in game seven , half way through the second period I knew.100% positive the Thomas was going to throw a shut out. He just looked on his game. The Nucks seemed down and didn't look like a team that was in " game freaking seven" of the finals. SO they did come up small but Thomas had to be in their head. When Boston got one goal I knew it was over. They were snake bit by someone named Thomas.

Old
08-10-2011, 11:18 PM
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo

Quote:
Poor choice of words.

aint it the truth

but you know what i meant so

Old
08-10-2011, 11:22 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
New Jersey. So soft all season, and they sign the two slowest players in the NHL. No one is scared of Janssen or Boulton.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
Old
08-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Much like hawks fans last year this year bruins fans are experts on everything since the bruins won the cup.

Just so stupid to even try to post anything anymore.

Oh great bruins fans tell us what else the other 29 teams are doing wrong to get to the great level the bruins are at? You are all all knowing and all seeing when it comes to knowing how to build a championship team! Tell us as no one but you knows anything about hockey and the NHL !!

Old
08-10-2011, 11:28 PM
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Much like hawks fans last year this year bruins fans are experts on everything since the bruins won the cup.

Just so stupid to even try to post anything anymore.

Oh great bruins fans tell us what else the other 29 teams are doing wrong to get to the great level the bruins are at? You are all all knowing and all seeing when it comes to knowing how to build a championship team! Tell us as no one but you knows anything about hockey and the NHL !!
you got that right

But ok, Ill take a crack at it, keys to winning the cup:

Don't sign a mental basket case of a goalie to a ridiculously long and expensive contract

Don't make your captain someone who lets a little punk agitator repeatedly punch them in the face and does nothing about it

Don't rely on three people to carry your offense

Dont rely on a powerplay to carry your offense

...don't get injured?

Closed Thread