HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Offseason Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread | Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2011, 03:08 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Sutton is barely a #6 D-man, and truthfully, if he plays a regular shift (and watch him play a regular shift on this D), then your team is in trouble.

I think Hannan, at worst, is still a #4 type D-man.

I still don't exactly understand the Regher trade from Calgary, but that's ok, they'll be less competitive in the final years of their window for contending.
Jay Feaster was on the radio and said, "We thought we had a great shot at Richards"

If that was EDM, Flames fans wouldn't let us hear the end of it. Instead, they all say, "That was a great and ballsy move by Jay. Glad we got a GM who wants to win"

LOL

Old
08-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Obviously the D man. I think he is draft eligible for the next draft. Heard he is just as cocky. Would be fun to see him piss of people

People say the goalie brother is a bit of a project but the defensman brother is a pretty solid player
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Malcolm, the goalie, is eligible next year.

Jordan, the defenseman, is eligible in 2013, I think.

And yeah, you're right, he's basically a carbon copy of PK.
Or we could draft Matt Dumba. Red Deer connection to RNH, got swagger, throws devastating hits, Captain of the U18, gamebreaker. I see alot of PK in him.

Old
08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Or we could draft Matt Dumba. Red Deer connection to RNH, got swagger, throws devastating hits, Captain of the U18, gamebreaker. I see alot of PK in him.
IATL has been pushing for him for quite some time. We could really use a guy on the 1st/2nd pairing that can instill fear into our opponents. It looks like we should have quite a few really solid D to choose from next year.

08-15-2011, 03:22 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Disagree...Hannan at 32 has shown he is still capable of playing some big minutes and can still be depended upon for the top 4. The 36 year old Sutton on the other hand has shown that he is well past his best before date and is a bottom pairing dman at best.

Hannan would at least help the team groom players like Petry and Peckham for a couple of years...Sutton helps nothing and should be gone at seasons end.

No comparison between these players at this point especially when you factor in the price point.
Lets not kid ourselves, Hannan is not a competent top 4 guy anymore, he only got signed after the market completely dried up and Washington who could certainly use a stay at home top 4 defenseman didn't re-sign him at such a low price, what does that tell you?
Hannan is better than Sutton at this point but missing out on Hannan is nothing to get worked up about imo.

Old
08-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinkOfGreatness View Post
Jay Feaster was on the radio and said, "We thought we had a great shot at Richards"

If that was EDM, Flames fans wouldn't let us hear the end of it. Instead, they all say, "That was a great and ballsy move by Jay. Glad we got a GM who wants to win"

LOL
On the flames board I read this quote by Feaster during their season ticket holder lunch:

"Richards decision came down to the Flames and NYR ultimately The Flames offered more money, even more then what the media hounds thought, but Brad really wanted to be close to family and he hated travel in the west. Brad acknowledged that the chance to win a cup with the Flames was good, he loved the idea of playing with Iggy and Tangs, felt like that would have been one of the best first lines around."

I thought Richards was just using the Flames to up the money the other teams would give him, ala Hossa and Edmonton. He must be dumber then he looks if he thinks Calgary is a legit cup contender.

And Feaster also said this haha:

"No Joke here. Feaster says that the way the Oilers build their team selecting top-picks every year is sickening, and that’s not what the Flames are about. "

Seems someone is worried...

Old
08-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Flames are probably as resistant to reality as the Oilers were from 07 to 2010. Probably won't see any signifigant organizational shift in thinking until Iginla retires.

In the meantime they'll just follow the old Oilers model, missing the playoffs every year, pushing for UFAs that won't sign there, and hyping up late season surges as "what's to come!" rather than last gasps of an aging vet core with no incoming prospect depth that it really reflects.

Old
08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Yeah, ^ that "sickening" quote really bothered me when I read it.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Man Dumba is an exciting player. Loved him with the Rebels this year........shows a ton of potential.

Would love it if the Oilers were in a position to draft him. I think he's going to get better and better (i.e. reduce the mistakes/risks) as he gets older and matures. One thing you can defintely see in his game is the dynamic quality and flair for offense.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Man Dumba is an exciting player. Loved him with the Rebels this year........shows a ton of potential.

Would love it if the Oilers were in a position to draft him. I think he's going to get better and better (i.e. reduce the mistakes/risks) as he gets older and matures. One thing you can defintely see in his game is the dynamic quality and flair for offense.
Not to mention he hits like a truck.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Yeah I like him too.

This year though, if he shows that his defensive game is legitimate (ie is positioning etc), then there is no reason he won't be a top-6 pick.

Funny enough, we may be in a position to draft Nick Ebert/Griffen Reinhart heh.

08-16-2011, 09:19 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Lets not kid ourselves, Hannan is not a competent top 4 guy anymore, he only got signed after the market completely dried up and Washington who could certainly use a stay at home top 4 defenseman didn't re-sign him at such a low price, what does that tell you?
Hannan is better than Sutton at this point but missing out on Hannan is nothing to get worked up about imo.
The way I see it Sutton fits the Oilers needs far more than Scott Hannan. Hannan is a great positional player....but that's it. On a young team that's trying to get bigger, tougher and more physical Sutton is a more desirable player than Hannan. Hannan was great at one point but his physical game is pretty well non existent at this point and he brings no offense so I don't think he is really what Tambellini is looking for these days.

Old
08-16-2011, 09:54 PM
ales83fan

Not really sure where this goes on our board, but as of yesterday Robby Dee is a free agent since we did not sign him.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Calamus

vCash: 729
Any interest in Marchand as an RFA OS?

What would it take?

I personally would do backflips if we could get him.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post
Any interest in Marchand as an RFA OS?

What would it take?

I personally would do backflips if we could get him.
Probably better to target him via trade so that we can retain our picks.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Calamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Probably better to target him via trade so that we can retain our picks.
I was thinking the same thing. Save picks and save face.

The only reason I would think we could afford to spend the picks is that I don't think it would take a huge amount of money to get the Bruins not to match.

What are we thinking for money/term for him?

Would Omark + 3rd rounder get him?

Am I crazy?

Old
08-16-2011, 10:34 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

The only reason I would think we could afford to spend the picks is that I don't think it would take a huge amount of money to get the Bruins not to match.

Am I crazy?
Yes.

How does one of the most valuable players in their play-off run equate to Omark and a 3rd?

Old
08-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Calamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Yes.

How does one of the most valuable players in their play-off run equate to Omark and a 3rd?
Because I'm crazy.

Are they going to be sure that its not a one playoff lightning in a bottle scenario?

What would you think is the max that they would match?

Old
08-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

Am I crazy?
Omark and a 3rd would be very light IMO. I would assume that they would want to take on players that are low in salary. We'd probably need to start with quality prospects on our side.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
I doubt Boston has any interest in anything on our roster other than Hall, Eberle and Paajarvi, and none of them will be dealt for Marchand. There is literally nothing Boston needs from us and they need Marchand much more so really, the offersheet would be the best way to go.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Calamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I doubt Boston has any interest in anything on our roster other than Hall, Eberle and Paajarvi, and none of them will be dealt for Marchand. There is literally nothing Boston needs from us and they need Marchand much more so really, the offersheet would be the best way to go.
I feel that Marchand might be tough to estimate for an offer sheet.

Obviously if we're offer sheeting you're generally going to be overpaying, as if it was a fair contract, any team that is not up against the cap would match.

Anyone care to put themselves out there for a number?

I might be too horny for this guy to be objective.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
IMO they could use Hemsky but his cap hit is too high for them.

Old
08-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Doughty hasn't signed a contract yet has he?

Old
08-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Doughty hasn't signed a contract yet has he?
Not to my knowledge.

Old
08-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Not to my knowledge.
I'd be curious to know what the hold up is.

We're a month from training camp, this is a young norris caliber D-man who's going to get better.

It's also not like he had a career year which he won't be able to recreate.

Old
08-16-2011, 11:15 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post

There are multiple reasons why a player doesn't sign immediately after FA season starts....your conclusion is far from being definitive.

The reality is that Hannan has recently played big minutes in a top four role. Sutton has recently played bottom pairing minutes and was anything but effective doing it.

Not surprisingly Tambi (little to no hope that he will before the season starts) didn't see the need to upgrade the 2 biggest weaknesses on the team...defense and goaltending.

Its about fit and Hannan is a better fit for this teams needs at this point in time. Sutton is a slow footed 6/7 defensman...how exactly does he help this team more than Hannan?
At 32 Hannan has shown he can at least play more than the 10-12 (useless bottom pairing) minutes a night Sutton will play.

Closed Thread