HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Offseason Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread | Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post
Because I'm crazy.

Are they going to be sure that its not a one playoff lightning in a bottle scenario?

He had a great rookie season. That kid and Seguin are both the real deal.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:33 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
There are multiple reasons why a player doesn't sign immediately after FA season starts....your conclusion is far from being definitive.

The reality is that Hannan has recently played big minutes in a top four role. Sutton has recently played bottom pairing minutes and was anything but effective doing it.

Not surprisingly Tambi (little to no hope that he will before the season starts) didn't see the need to upgrade the 2 biggest weaknesses on the team...defense and goaltending.

Its about fit and Hannan is a better fit for this teams needs at this point in time. Sutton is a slow footed 6/7 defensman...how exactly does he help this team more than Hannan?
At 32 Hannan has shown he can at least play more than the 10-12 (useless bottom pairing) minutes a night Sutton will play.
Exactly it's about fit and any team trying to get bigger, tougher and harder to play against will look for guys like Sutton over guys like Hannan. I'm sorry but Scott Hannan in 2011 is basically a Tom Gilbert with no offense and less blocked shots. Not what the Oilers need at all. I would rather give those minutes to younger players like Smid and Barker.

Old
08-17-2011, 02:52 AM
Bryanbryoil

For all of the *****ing and bellyaching about Sutton that I've heard, he must've switched jerseys with Strudwick last year. The guy is big, tough, and hits like a freight train.

08-17-2011, 02:59 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
For all of the *****ing and bellyaching about Sutton that I've heard, he must've switched jerseys with Strudwick last year. The guy is big, tough, and hits like a freight train.
He's also slow, dumb and injury prone.

But, I'm not an expert.

Old
08-17-2011, 03:06 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
He's also slow, dumb and injury prone.

But, I'm not an expert.
As long as he demolishes a Sedin or Kesler I don't care what his IQ is

Old
08-17-2011, 03:33 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
No kidding. I can't believe people are actually lamenting the loss of Foster. Sutton was a guy I was hoping we'd target last summer as a UFA. Yes he's slow and takes dumb penalties, but he is a heat seeking missile and I remember him taking runs at several Oilers last year including Eberle.

When's the last time we had a dirty player on our team? As soon as he absolutely crushes Burrows or Lapierre everyone will love him.

Old
08-17-2011, 04:11 AM
OILFAN #81

Rumor: 7 years, 52 M for Doughty?? (7.42 M cap hit)

http://lakingsnews.com/2011/08/16/so...ut-52-million/

Old
08-17-2011, 04:36 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Rumor: 7 years, 52 M for Doughty?? (7.42 M cap hit)

http://lakingsnews.com/2011/08/16/so...ut-52-million/
Looks like what we can expect from Taylor Hall's next contract.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:04 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He had damn well better be a 40+ goal scorer or the cap had better skyrocket if he wants that kind of coin.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:10 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
If Hall is an Art Ross runner-up (comparable to Doughty being a Norris finalist) by the time his ELC is up, he'll be more than worth it.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:13 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
He had damn well better be a 40+ goal scorer or the cap had better skyrocket if he wants that kind of coin.
We could always trade him for picks if it comes down to it.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:14 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
If Hall is an Art Ross runner-up (comparable to Doughty being a Norris finalist) by the time his ELC is up, he'll be more than worth it.
He will be getting Malkin money if that is the case.

Old
08-17-2011, 10:25 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
There are multiple reasons why a player doesn't sign immediately after FA season starts....your conclusion is far from being definitive.

The reality is that Hannan has recently played big minutes in a top four role. Sutton has recently played bottom pairing minutes and was anything but effective doing it.

Not surprisingly Tambi (little to no hope that he will before the season starts) didn't see the need to upgrade the 2 biggest weaknesses on the team...defense and goaltending.

Its about fit and Hannan is a better fit for this teams needs at this point in time. Sutton is a slow footed 6/7 defensman...how exactly does he help this team more than Hannan?
At 32 Hannan has shown he can at least play more than the 10-12 (useless bottom pairing) minutes a night Sutton will play.
First of all, how was Tambellini going to upgrade the goaltending? Khabi is an immovable object and Dubnyk is going to get every chance to take over the #1 spot as he should since he played well last year so would you be happy with a 3 headed monster again and Dubnyk's progress being stunted?

I admit that Hannan is an upgrade on Sutton but signing Hannan wouldn't have done much to improve the defense, it's not enough of an upgrade to get worked up about imo.
Also, Sutton was pretty good 2 years ago with the Isles and was a physical force (which fills a need) so maybe he recaptures a bit of that mojo, probably not but you never know.

Old
08-17-2011, 10:26 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Yeah, if Hall was a top 10 player in the league by that time so he would be worth it in that case.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamus View Post
I feel that Marchand might be tough to estimate for an offer sheet.

Obviously if we're offer sheeting you're generally going to be overpaying, as if it was a fair contract, any team that is not up against the cap would match.

Anyone care to put themselves out there for a number?

I might be too horny for this guy to be objective.
Maybe Omark becomes our Marchand. Both small fiesty later picks. Both around 1PPG in the AHL, both a little bit older rookies...and Omark numbers over his first 50 games or so are quite a bit better than Marchand's, though Omark did get more/better minutes.

Old
08-17-2011, 12:11 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
First of all, how was Tambellini going to upgrade the goaltending? Khabi is an immovable object and Dubnyk is going to get every chance to take over the #1 spot as he should since he played well last year so would you be happy with a 3 headed monster again and Dubnyk's progress being stunted?

I admit that Hannan is an upgrade on Sutton but signing Hannan wouldn't have done much to improve the defense, it's not enough of an upgrade to get worked up about imo.
Also, Sutton was pretty good 2 years ago with the Isles and was a physical force (which fills a need) so maybe he recaptures a bit of that mojo, probably not but you never know.
Bulin to OKC is one way to upgrade goaltending. Just not sure Katz is willing to eat that salary like he was with Souray.

Old
08-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
A 10 year deal for Hall is a must I think.

If by chance you can knock down his cap hit to 6-6.5/yr, I think you've done well.

I'd be in favor of long term deals for any cornerstones that emerge.

08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Dear Matt Bradley,

Ouch.

Love,

Semin

Quote:
Asked to describe the discipline problems without naming names:

“I don’t mind saying Alexander Semin’s name, because he’s one guy who has so much talent, he could easily be the best player in the league, and just for whatever reason, just doesn’t care.

“When you’ve got a guy like that, you need him to be your best player, or one of your best players, and when he dosen’t show up, you almost get the sense that he wants to be back in Russia. That’s tough to win when you’ve got a guy like that who’s supposed to be your best player not being your best player, or one of your best players."

Old
08-17-2011, 02:11 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Bradley just said what everyone was thinking he should get a bonus from everyone on the Caps and the team.

Old
08-17-2011, 03:27 PM
smokersarejokers

The Caps need more of that. Guys need to be held accountable. Good on Bradley. That team looks like a cup contender one night, and a glorified beer league team the next.

Old
08-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Semin needs to gtfo imho.

Old
08-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Ice Whole

I dont think Hall will get Dougthy-Stamkos like money. IMO he will get Kane-Toews like money but I wouldn't mind spending that extra million on him if he was on Stamkos' level

Old
08-17-2011, 05:03 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehta View Post
I dont think Hall will get Dougthy-Stamkos like money. IMO he will get Kane-Toews like money but I wouldn't mind spending that extra million on him if he was on Stamkos' level
he won't get stamkos/doughty money because he's not as good of a player... you hit the nail on the head with the comps... hall is in the "kane range", but probably a little lower than kane... i've used the rick nash comparison time and time again, and it seens to fit once more... hall doesn't play anything like nash, but i think his production levels, "star level" and contract will be very close... what i mean by "star level" is the groupings of players most people have in their mind as far as the best forwards in the game go... group 1: crosby, ovechkin, stamkos, group 2: st. louis, the sedins, brad richards, iginla, etc and group 3: nash, kane, etc... i think hall will fall somewhere in that 3rd grouping in his best years... a great player, but not a consistant "top-10 forward in the league" type of player

Old
08-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
he won't get stamkos/doughty money because he's not as good of a player... you hit the nail on the head with the comps... hall is in the "kane range", but probably a little lower than kane... i've used the rick nash comparison time and time again, and it seens to fit once more... hall doesn't play anything like nash, but i think his production levels, "star level" and contract will be very close... what i mean by "star level" is the groupings of players most people have in their mind as far as the best forwards in the game go... group 1: crosby, ovechkin, stamkos, group 2: st. louis, the sedins, brad richards, iginla, etc and group 3: nash, kane, etc... i think hall will fall somewhere in that 3rd grouping in his best years... a great player, but not a consistant "top-10 forward in the league" type of player
Look up Rick Nash's contract.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:17 PM
MessierII

Hall had a way better rookie year than Nash as well not a good comparison.

Closed Thread