HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cristobal Huet Question

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2004, 08:32 AM
eddy

vCash: 500
Cristobal Huet Question

Hey, i've gotta question for you kings fans about Huet, I'm a habs fan and I happen to think Huet is a decent goalie, not alot of habs fans do but I think he'll be a great back-up. He's not really a legitamite #1 goalie yet he played in half of LA's games last year because of checkmanek's injury I believe. His stats weren't great but I hear alot of it was because he's not a starter yet he was being played like one so after so many consecutive games in a row he would get tired and lose his focus and not play so great, but when he started a game fresh after being rested for a while he played well. I'm just trying to clarify this cause I think he's underrated and could be an excellent back-up for the habs because he'll be anything but overplayed with Theodore as #1 so in the starts he does get he should be well rested and very focused to go out and play, and pay well. So you guys saw him all last year is this accurate?

By the way, Garon is a great young goalie he could break out next year and take away Chekmanek's #1 position, some habs fans (i'm not one of them) thought he had the potential to be better than theodore.

Old
08-09-2004, 10:30 AM
jfont

Awards:
huet is a decent back up to theodore...you'll be pretty happy with his play.

08-09-2004, 11:01 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
huet is a decent back up to theodore...you'll be pretty happy with his play.

Agreed.

He played very well for us last season. Many Kings fans feel that he is one of the better backups in the league. He's got solid fundamentals, competes hard, and is used to playing under pressure. His drawbacks are his small stature and that he occasionally tends to over-react to the play. However, I'm fairly confident that those Huet nay-sayers of which you speak will be quieted once they see what he brings to the table.

At the very least, he won't be a liability to your team's success.

Last edited by kingsfan25: 08-09-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old
08-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Tbagger

And I'm sure since the Kings traded him he'll be the next Roy.

Old
08-09-2004, 11:36 AM
guzmania

He played as well as Roman did for this most wounded of clubs last year. He is very steady and he plays the same game day in and day out. Expect him to give up his GAA every game. No wild swings. 3 goals, 2 goals, 3 goals, 2 goals. Not like Checmanek, 7 goals, shutout, 4 goals, 1 goal, 2 goals, 5 goals. He will be a sufficient backup goaltender.

Old
08-09-2004, 11:55 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Agreed.

He played very well for us last season. Many Kings fans feel that he is one of the better backups in the league. He's got solid fundamentals, competes hard, and is used to playing under pressure. His drawbacks are his small stature and that he occasionally tends to over-react to the play. However, I'm fairly confident that those Huet nay-sayers of which you speak will be quieted once they see what he brings to the table.

At the very least, he won't be a liability to your team's success.
Another drawback is that he's not very aggressive. A few of the goals that were scored on him were plays that developed because he didn't try to poke-check the puck or disrupt the play.

Either way, he's a great back-up.

I would suggest going to kingsmediazone.com and playing some of the videos. They're Kings highlights, but there are a few Huet highlights. Unfortunately, our goaltending was nothing to brag about last season, so we didn't have too many.

Old
08-09-2004, 02:11 PM
eddy

Thanks guys!
Is it true though that after playing concecutive games he would start to get a bit tired and un-focused causing some not so great play but when is rested and has not been overplayed he plays quite well?

Old
08-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Chartrand

You can see how inept the Kings' defense was last year by taking a look at the drop in Cechmanek's stats. Roman was considered a pretty good starter a few years ago, and Huet had better numbers than Cech this past season playing behind what was mostly the same defense.

With a better D-corps in front of him, Huet should have a pretty decent season...and he finally has another fundamentally solid goaltender that he can look up to. I suppose his ability to become a #1 depends largely on how much untapped potential he has at the NHL level. This is only his 3rd season in North America, even if he is a little older.

Old
08-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL MV
You can see how inept the Kings' defense was last year by taking a look at the drop in Cechmanek's stats. Roman was considered a pretty good starter a few years ago, and Huet had better numbers than Cech this past season playing behind what was mostly the same defense.

With a better D-corps in front of him, Huet should have a pretty decent season...and he finally has another fundamentally solid goaltender that he can look up to. I suppose his ability to become a #1 depends largely on how much untapped potential he has at the NHL level. This is only his 3rd season in North America, even if he is a little older.
I don't know man. I would say it was more the ineptness of our offense than it was our defense. We didn't have any real scoring threats(after Ziggy went down) and this allowed teams to pinch and pressure all day in the offensive zone. Of course, it didn't help that we could never clear the puck, but that was just part and parcel of the problem.

08-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
I don't know man. I would say it was more the ineptness of our offense than it was our defense. We didn't have any real scoring threats(after Ziggy went down) and this allowed teams to pinch and pressure all day in the offensive zone. Of course, it didn't help that we could never clear the puck, but that was just part and parcel of the problem.
Yeah we couldn't clear the puck for the life of us.....

Old
08-09-2004, 09:04 PM
KINGLEWOOD

I think Eddy is right on. I noticed that when Huet played too many consecutive games his performances would trail off a bit. I think his #'s weren't great but they would have been a lot better had his defence helped him out a bit more. He plays well under pressure and is capable of making some fantastic saves.

I think he is one of the better back ups in the league and people will realize that now that he will play for the Canadians next season.

Old
08-10-2004, 07:37 PM
firepro_fan

Habs defense does look solid if Souray can play like he did before last years all-star game. Also watch out for Mike Komisarek to have a break-out season. HUGE potential demonstrated in last years playoffs.

Huet should have defensive support, and with the signings of Kostitsyn (Montreals 1st round pick last season) and Zednik he should have somesort of offensive support aswell.

I am not exactly a Theo fan and am one of those people who thinks Garon was and is a better goalie. Hopefully Rollie can mold Huet into a great goalie just like he did with Garon and Theo.

Closed Thread