HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cristobal Huet Question

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2004, 08:32 AM
  #1
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Cristobal Huet Question

Hey, i've gotta question for you kings fans about Huet, I'm a habs fan and I happen to think Huet is a decent goalie, not alot of habs fans do but I think he'll be a great back-up. He's not really a legitamite #1 goalie yet he played in half of LA's games last year because of checkmanek's injury I believe. His stats weren't great but I hear alot of it was because he's not a starter yet he was being played like one so after so many consecutive games in a row he would get tired and lose his focus and not play so great, but when he started a game fresh after being rested for a while he played well. I'm just trying to clarify this cause I think he's underrated and could be an excellent back-up for the habs because he'll be anything but overplayed with Theodore as #1 so in the starts he does get he should be well rested and very focused to go out and play, and pay well. So you guys saw him all last year is this accurate?

By the way, Garon is a great young goalie he could break out next year and take away Chekmanek's #1 position, some habs fans (i'm not one of them) thought he had the potential to be better than theodore.

eddy is offline  
Old
08-09-2004, 10:30 AM
  #2
jfont
Registered User
 
jfont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 15,392
vCash: 500
Awards:
huet is a decent back up to theodore...you'll be pretty happy with his play.

__________________
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off
jfont is offline  
Old
08-09-2004, 11:01 AM
  #3
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
huet is a decent back up to theodore...you'll be pretty happy with his play.

Agreed.

He played very well for us last season. Many Kings fans feel that he is one of the better backups in the league. He's got solid fundamentals, competes hard, and is used to playing under pressure. His drawbacks are his small stature and that he occasionally tends to over-react to the play. However, I'm fairly confident that those Huet nay-sayers of which you speak will be quieted once they see what he brings to the table.

At the very least, he won't be a liability to your team's success.


Last edited by kingsfan25: 08-09-2004 at 11:10 AM.
kingsfan25 is offline  
Old
08-09-2004, 11:15 AM
  #4
Tbagger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Bakersfield
Country: United States
Posts: 843
vCash: 500
And I'm sure since the Kings traded him he'll be the next Roy.

Tbagger is offline  
Old
08-09-2004, 11:36 AM
  #5
guzmania
Registered User
 
guzmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SCV
Country: United States
Posts: 2,492
vCash: 500
He played as well as Roman did for this most wounded of clubs last year. He is very steady and he plays the same game day in and day out. Expect him to give up his GAA every game. No wild swings. 3 goals, 2 goals, 3 goals, 2 goals. Not like Checmanek, 7 goals, shutout, 4 goals, 1 goal, 2 goals, 5 goals. He will be a sufficient backup goaltender.

guzmania is offline  
Old
08-09-2004, 11:55 AM
  #6
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Agreed.

He played very well for us last season. Many Kings fans feel that he is one of the better backups in the league. He's got solid fundamentals, competes hard, and is used to playing under pressure. His drawbacks are his small stature and that he occasionally tends to over-react to the play. However, I'm fairly confident that those Huet nay-sayers of which you speak will be quieted once they see what he brings to the table.

At the very least, he won't be a liability to your team's success.
Another drawback is that he's not very aggressive. A few of the goals that were scored on him were plays that developed because he didn't try to poke-check the puck or disrupt the play.

Either way, he's a great back-up.

I would suggest going to kingsmediazone.com and playing some of the videos. They're Kings highlights, but there are a few Huet highlights. Unfortunately, our goaltending was nothing to brag about last season, so we didn't have too many.

King'sPawn is offline  
Old
08-09-2004, 02:11 PM
  #7
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
Thanks guys!
Is it true though that after playing concecutive games he would start to get a bit tired and un-focused causing some not so great play but when is rested and has not been overplayed he plays quite well?

eddy is offline  
Old
08-09-2004, 02:12 PM
  #8
Chartrand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Bahrain
Posts: 2,209
vCash: 500
You can see how inept the Kings' defense was last year by taking a look at the drop in Cechmanek's stats. Roman was considered a pretty good starter a few years ago, and Huet had better numbers than Cech this past season playing behind what was mostly the same defense.

With a better D-corps in front of him, Huet should have a pretty decent season...and he finally has another fundamentally solid goaltender that he can look up to. I suppose his ability to become a #1 depends largely on how much untapped potential he has at the NHL level. This is only his 3rd season in North America, even if he is a little older.

Chartrand is offline  
Old
08-09-2004, 04:09 PM
  #9
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL MV
You can see how inept the Kings' defense was last year by taking a look at the drop in Cechmanek's stats. Roman was considered a pretty good starter a few years ago, and Huet had better numbers than Cech this past season playing behind what was mostly the same defense.

With a better D-corps in front of him, Huet should have a pretty decent season...and he finally has another fundamentally solid goaltender that he can look up to. I suppose his ability to become a #1 depends largely on how much untapped potential he has at the NHL level. This is only his 3rd season in North America, even if he is a little older.
I don't know man. I would say it was more the ineptness of our offense than it was our defense. We didn't have any real scoring threats(after Ziggy went down) and this allowed teams to pinch and pressure all day in the offensive zone. Of course, it didn't help that we could never clear the puck, but that was just part and parcel of the problem.

__________________
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain
Legionnaire is offline  
Old
08-09-2004, 05:44 PM
  #10
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,858
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
I don't know man. I would say it was more the ineptness of our offense than it was our defense. We didn't have any real scoring threats(after Ziggy went down) and this allowed teams to pinch and pressure all day in the offensive zone. Of course, it didn't help that we could never clear the puck, but that was just part and parcel of the problem.
Yeah we couldn't clear the puck for the life of us.....

Reaper45 is offline  
Old
08-09-2004, 09:04 PM
  #11
KINGLEWOOD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: INGLEWOOD, CA
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
I think Eddy is right on. I noticed that when Huet played too many consecutive games his performances would trail off a bit. I think his #'s weren't great but they would have been a lot better had his defence helped him out a bit more. He plays well under pressure and is capable of making some fantastic saves.

I think he is one of the better back ups in the league and people will realize that now that he will play for the Canadians next season.

KINGLEWOOD is offline  
Old
08-10-2004, 07:37 PM
  #12
firepro_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Habs defense does look solid if Souray can play like he did before last years all-star game. Also watch out for Mike Komisarek to have a break-out season. HUGE potential demonstrated in last years playoffs.

Huet should have defensive support, and with the signings of Kostitsyn (Montreals 1st round pick last season) and Zednik he should have somesort of offensive support aswell.

I am not exactly a Theo fan and am one of those people who thinks Garon was and is a better goalie. Hopefully Rollie can mold Huet into a great goalie just like he did with Garon and Theo.

firepro_fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.