HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn Comments to Alexander Vankovich

Old
08-12-2011, 10:19 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 500
I am amused how many players never take the blame for themselves

it is always the coaches fault that he is not getting top line minutes--as opposed to a player not playing a complete game and trying every shift

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
I am amused how many players never take the blame for themselves

it is always the coaches fault that he is not getting top line minutes--as opposed to a player not playing a complete game and trying every shift
AK was arguably our best player for the month of October. Both he and Plek were tied for leading scorer on our team after the first 11games with 10pts. That continued in November with Plek leading 23pts in 23gp, while AK had 18 in 24. He was sent down to play next to Gomez and Gionta in order to help them out. Where Martin made the mistake is when he moved Gionta up on the first line after a couple of period of experimenting with AK-Gomez-Gio.
Ak was left to rot with Gomez and Moen.

This time around, AK is absolutely right.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
AK was arguably our best player for the month of October. Both he and Plek were tied for leading scorer on our team after the first 11games with 10pts. That continued in November with Plek leading 23pts in 23gp, while AK had 18 in 24. He was sent down to play next to Gomez and Gionta in order to help them out. Where Martin made the mistake is when he moved Gionta up on the first line after a couple of period of experimenting with AK-Gomez-Gio.

And he ended the season with 16 pts in 22 games which is far from bad... and around half of those games he played on the third line with limited icetime.

Also, AK had 3 bad stretch in the season, 2 of them was when he was paired with Gomez. He got out of it after he was demoted on the 4th line with Halpern the first time and the 2nd time, he got out of it with Eller (9pts in 7 games).

I have to play the "IF" game but if JM kept AK with Plekanec, or at least, never put AK with Gomez, AK would easily hit the 50+ pts mark and that's more than satisfying for AK. Even captain Gionta only got 1 more pt than AK despite playing 300+ min.

Some people doesn't seem to realize it but AK had a good season last season. He had more ups than downs but I don't know why some people only concentrate on the 5 games where he was bad rather than the 15-20 games he played well before that.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:48 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
And he ended the season with 16 pts in 22 games which is far from bad... and around half of those games he played on the third line with limited icetime.

Also, AK had 3 bad stretch in they season, 2 of them was when he was paired with Gomez. He got out of it after he was demoted on the 4th line with Halpern the first time and the 2nd time, he got out of it with Eller (9pts in 7 games).

I have to play the "IF" game but if JM kept AK with Plekanec, or at least, never put AK with Gomez, AK would easily hit the 50+ pts mark and that's more than satisfying for AK. Even captain Gionta only got 1 more pt than AK despite playing 300+ min.

Some people doesn't seem to realize it but AK had a good season last season. He had more ups than downs but I don't know why some people only concentrate on the 5 games where he was bad rather than the 15-20 games he played well before that.
You're using logic based on facts, an ability a lot of people lack.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Mr. Hab

A. kosts might not be happy playing with Eller but the team may be better with them together on the 3rd. A.Kosts as a top 6 winger replacement is good for our Habs, but A.Kosts is probably not happy with that role since he wants top 6 role all the time to try and get 60pts+ (60pts+ = more $$$$$ for A.Kosts wallet). It's all as usual about greed. The upcoming lockout (next season?) will be all about greed, as well.

A.Kostitsyn to Nashville?!

Or a 3 way trade...A.Kostitsyn still ends up in Nashville (reunited with his brother).

Hopefully we can get a solid prospect OR 1st Rnd Pick, or a young veteran player that can play well (team player) with Lars Eller, or at worst an early 2nd Rnd pick
And maybe A.Kosts' value only goes up right before March deadline? (depending on his 2011-2012 play of course 2011-2012).

For playoffs...I'd rather a cheaper Dominic Moore + 2nd Rnd Pick VS A.Kosts...maybe that's just me.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 08-13-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 02:01 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

plllllease trade him to the ducks

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

If it takes a pissed off kostitsyn to play the way he did last season, then so be it.

Last season was really the first time that I thought akost was useful even when he wasn't scoring for long stretches.

I also wonder if its a coincidence that his two best seasons as a hab have come on contract seasons. If that's the case, then we can expect another good season.

But in the long run, I still think the habs need someone better in the role that akost is expected to fulfill, so they should be actively pursuing potential replacements, regardless of the comments akost made.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 07:55 AM
BLONG7

Has anyone heard from JM or PG on this Akost fiasco? They can't be happy...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

wrooooooong. Ak always goes on 10-20 games producing well, then disappears. This isn't news man. Ak was given plenty of chances and his offensive production would never stay constant. Also Andrei had 20 points in the first 35 games so your calculations make no sense.

I thought he changed however this season in terms of uselessness. He seemed to be trying more and when he wasn't producing he was still a big body. But saying that Kostitsyn lost ALL his mojo just from playing with Gomez for a few games... then its still his fault for not being able to get it back.

All in all he is a super useful player no matter how you put it, inconsistent offensively yes, but He isn't as bad as people think defensively. It would suck if we lose him

Dirty Danglez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:00 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
What I find funny is how people think he has a tonne of potential. I don't see it. I think people have read too many scouting reports from 2003 and listened to too many HF posters about how he has potential but never reaches it. Carter, Parise, Getlaf and Richards all have way more talent than Ak ainec. AKis a one dimensional power forward with a really good shot. But he isn't some amazing playmaker, he's decent but he isn't talented like the guys previously mentioned.

His potential imo is more along the lines of Lucic or Bertuzzi (older more so than the younger Bert)

I think he was a bad pick, not because he didn't pan out but because he doesn't have near the talent that the other players have. But he's still a pretty good player and we are by far a better team with him than without. Also, we'll never get a better or even comparable player for him heads up in a trade. I can't see PG making a big trade adding other assets with him to get something decent.

At the end of the day, we probably lose him for nothing as a UFA as I expect us to be in the playoff hunt at the deadline and his depth will be more valuable to us than the team we are competing against.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:00 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Has anyone heard from JM or PG on this Akost fiasco? They can't be happy...
They won't make any public comments but be sure PG ripped Don Meehan's head off. AK's teammates will give him the cold(est) shoulder when they all meet up again too.

He threw his coach and teammates under the bus.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:23 AM
habfaninvictoria

I don't know about the validity of this story.

First, AK has never said anything any other year and arguably he might have had reason last year to talk about his brother. Andrei is the kind of person who wouldn't say s h i t if his mouth was full of it.

Second, given what happened with his brother AK probably knows he has nothing to gain by doing something this dumb.

Third, the article makes reference to his agent, but his agent hasn't spoken the AK... something fishy.

The Kostitisyns are big new in Belarus and an article like this would sell lots of papers. I don't doubt Andrei may have said some things, but they've been represented here to be inflammatory and I don't think that was his intent. It wouldn't be the first time a story came out of eastern europe that was slightly tainted and full of half-truths.

As for the hockey. AK is 3rd liner for us that could play top 6 in a relief role. He's been a solid player for us, but not the superstar we all wanted. He has the talent but not the drive. Let's not forget that this organization gave him a chance when many others would not because of his epilepsy. He took a major shot to the head a couple years ago when he was starting to turn things up as a player. For an epileptic that has to be very scary.

I hope everyone with a stake in this approaches the situation intelligently.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:40 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Responses in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I don't know about the validity of this story. [Reposted by Arpon Basu, arguably the most legit media source we have today. The Gazette guys are too busy trying to keep their seats cozy to report anything controversial and the french media guys are all over the board]

First, AK has never said anything any other year and arguably he might have had reason last year to talk about his brother. Andrei is the kind of person who wouldn't say s h i t if his mouth was full of it. [How do you know this?]

Second, given what happened with his brother AK probably knows he has nothing to gain by doing something this dumb. [Again, how do you know this?]

Third, the article makes reference to his agent, but his agent hasn't spoken the AK... something fishy.

The Kostitisyns are big new in Belarus and an article like this would sell lots of papers. I don't doubt Andrei may have said some things, but they've been represented here to be inflammatory and I don't think that was his intent. It wouldn't be the first time a story came out of eastern europe that was slightly tainted and full of half-truths. [So you admit that Andrei has said things... but that it wasn't his intent to say so. Them commies sure run an oppressive regime over in east Europe, eh? One could argue that European hockey reporting won't be rose-colored by old, fat sports journalists who want to keep flying with the team. See what Kovalev said about the Ottawa journalists, I'm more than inclined to believe him.]

As for the hockey. AK is 3rd liner for us that could play top 6 in a relief role. He's been a solid player for us, but not the superstar we all wanted. He has the talent but not the drive. Let's not forget that this organization gave him a chance when many others would not because of his epilepsy. He took a major shot to the head a couple years ago when he was starting to turn things up as a player. For an epileptic that has to be very scary. [We all know what AK is, what he gives and what he costs. He was a central figure in what is now called "a disaster season", he is a productive top6 player albeit inconsistent. He cannot communicate in English very well, despite being in North America for 7 years. He has not shown any significant offensive ability in the playoffs. He has a big frame and hits well, but we didn't use him for that role until very recently... He threw his coach under the bus just when the team looked like a playoff lock and were looking to make the next step. The Habs no longer need him with the emergence of Pacioretty and the signing of Eric Cole. He's doesn't belong in this lockerroom and has been a headache every year.]

I hope everyone with a stake in this approaches the situation intelligently. There's an honor code, one which a furious and betrayed Jeff Carter (stuck in CBJ for ELEVEN YEARS) still did not break. - Yet AKost, right after signing a new contract broke. PG will approach it intelligently, but his teammates and coaches won't.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:06 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
I love how emotional everyone gets and how it pushes their opinions to the extreme. As bipolar and crazy we all get about the Habs, I wouldn't want to be a part of any other fanbase. Growing up in Ontario, worshipping the Habs and living in the States, I'm glad to have so many of you feel so passionately about the same thing I do, the road to 25.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
wrooooooong. Ak always goes on 10-20 games producing well, then disappears. This isn't news man. Ak was given plenty of chances and his offensive production would never stay constant. Also Andrei had 20 points in the first 35 games so your calculations make no sense.
I'm not saying it's news. I'm not saying he isn't inconsistent. I'm saying it's entirely normal for top 6 players to lack consistency, that's what differs them from top 3 players.
The biggest problem people have here is they think top6=top3 (or at least potential top3). That's entirely wrong.
However, you can look at each season and see if there's a reason for inconsistency. I don't care about the previous years as we're talking about this past season. When you look at the stats, he scored 18pts in 24games (October-November). In December, Martin moving him and other players. Gionta was already moved up to play with AK-Plek while Cammy was sent down to play with Gomez in November. After that, it was a new experiment every game until AK was kept with Gomez-Moen for a while.
He should have been kept with Plek. That doesn't mean he would have consistently produced had he played all year on the 1st line. He probably would have gone through streaks, just like most, but all we know is that he was playing well and producing, until he started being moved around.

Also, I didn't calculate anything.
In the stats page of AK on nhl.com, go in the split section, you will see his stats split up.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...11&view=splits
AK also always defended himself when he wasn't producing by saying he needs to play more. If you look at his split stats, you'll notice that, generally speaking, his most productive months are always the ones he averages the most ice time. Maybe he's right about that..
Quote:
I thought he changed however this season in terms of uselessness. He seemed to be trying more and when he wasn't producing he was still a big body. But saying that Kostitsyn lost ALL his mojo just from playing with Gomez for a few games... then its still his fault for not being able to get it back.
Kost played more than just a few games with Gomez, and I'm not saying he lost his mojo, but that duo simply did not work. That happens.
He played well with Plek and Eller.
I agree that he did improve his play without the puck though, and I credit Martin for that.
Quote:
All in all he is a super useful player no matter how you put it, inconsistent offensively yes, but He isn't as bad as people think defensively. It would suck if we lose him
He is useful and I expect him to be key for us. The third line most envision to be is DD-Eller-AK. They could be huge for us. They have the potential to be a very dominating 3rd line seeing how they'll be matched up against weaker opponents most game. It'll be interesting to see this season unfold.
Losing him will only suck if the replacement isn't better.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Gally11

PG doesn't seem to be really all that concerned with players media comments as we seen with Pacioretty last season

Also the funny thing is is that Andrei pretty much made identical comments to english media on camera half way through season last year and it wasn't even half the news story lol @ summer. He basically said he don't understand why he was on fourth line and he tried to talk to Martin to understand why and still didn't understand..

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:26 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Id love to see him have a great start to the season and then trade him for a 1st round pick to a lottery team.
Rivet went for a 1st I'm sure AK could too.
How sweet would that be.
AK is talented, he just doesn't have any drive.
Clutch is something he'll never be.
Maybe it's his meds, maybe he's a pot head, maybe he's worth a first round pick.
I hope so.

I think a great trade would be

AK to Nashville for Jordin Tootoo and a conditional 2nd round pick. If AK scores 35 goals and resigns with Nashville that pick becomes a 1st rounder.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Habsfan18: 08-13-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: merged posts
SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:46 PM
One Trick Pony

I don't understand what some people expect from AK. It's like you can't wait for the next time something happens with a journalist just so your delusional minds can go back to work. You think we're going to be better if we trade AK, you are so happy about it. It's like you only love change. You constantly want things to move. But then you'll cry when we trade him for a Niinimaa or when we lost him for nothing next July. And that's when you find your new space goat. You sit on your goat and fly to your delusional space.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 03:53 PM
SAKS AVENUE

No
What you fail to understand is he is a UFA this year and clearly doesn't want to play for the Habs.
With Cole here AK will be a third liner, regardless of minutes played.

Let's get something for him while we can. We are going to lose him no matter what so I don't see any reason to keep him around.

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 04:05 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
No
What you fail to understand is he is a UFA this year and clearly doesn't want to play for the Habs.

Let's get something for him while we can. We are going to lose him no matter what so I don't see any reason to keep him around.
making a few jumps to come to that conclusion, nothing he said sounds close to that. The guy feels he's a top 6 player and isnt used as such, he isnt happy about it... like everyone who would be in such a situation...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 04:12 PM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
No

Make

Plek - Cammy - Gionta = 1st line
Cole - Eller - AK = Second line
White - DD - Patches = 3rd line
Let Gomez Moen and Darche grind it out.

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
I don't understand what some people expect from AK. It's like you can't wait for the next time something happens with a journalist just so your delusional minds can go back to work. You think we're going to be better if we trade AK, you are so happy about it. It's like you only love change. You constantly want things to move. But then you'll cry when we trade him for a Niinimaa or when we lost him for nothing next July. And that's when you find your new space goat. You sit on your goat and fly to your delusional space.
I think the frustration with ak stems from the year he was drafted. That first round was extraordinary in 2003, and the success of other players drafted below him automatically raised expectations of andrei.

So some of the pressures may be a bit unfair, but I also have to say that he does leave you wanting more when you consider his physical tools and skillset.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:07 PM
feds91

Willing to bet 100$ on Andrei Kostitsyn's career thriving once he leaves Montreal

Remember Ribeiro, Sergei K., Mikhael Grabovski, Latendresse? They were all very much maligned by fans and media, traded for practically nothing and then went on to have career years for different teams. That's so gonna happen again you'll see.

feds91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:13 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Responses in bold.
Luckily, you have no stake in this.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by feds91 View Post
Willing to bet 100$ on Andrei Kostitsyn's career thriving once he leaves Montreal

Remember Ribeiro, Sergei K., Mikhael Grabovski, Latendresse? They were all very much maligned by fans and media, traded for practically nothing and then went on to have career years for different teams. That's so gonna happen again you'll see.

The only one of these players I'd want back on the Habs is Ribeiro.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote