HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn Comments to Alexander Vankovich

Old
08-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
I don't understand why this is so important. We knew in a former interview that AK thought his year could have been better if Martin didn't put him with Gomez. We knew he tried to talk about it with Martin earlier in the season, and he didn't listen. AK also said that later in the season it got better (when playing with eller). The only news is that Martin doesn't care. If Martin is smart, he'll start AK with Eller, as by know he should know they have insane chemistry.

AK has the potential to score 30-30. He most likely will go 20-25.

I also doubt AK would sign a contract so quickly if he hated playing for us. He most likely would have asked for a trade.

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 12:11 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by feds91 View Post
Willing to bet 100$ on Andrei Kostitsyn's career thriving once he leaves Montreal

Remember Ribeiro, Sergei K., Mikhael Grabovski, Latendresse? They were all very much maligned by fans and media, traded for practically nothing and then went on to have career years for different teams. That's so gonna happen again you'll see.
The difference being that AKost has had 7 years to not live up to expectations, not fit into the culture (both sides of UFA purge of '09) and still be defended by some fanboys.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Craig71

Are we still talking about this subject? Scott Gomez needs to have an affair with Sarah Palin in Alaska in order to get the heat off of poor Andrei.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Are we still talking about this subject? Scott Gomez needs to have an affair with Sarah Palin in Alaska in order to get the heat off of poor Andrei.
The xxx parody sequel ; Nailin Palin with the Alaskan Mexican!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 06:45 AM
MrNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by feds91 View Post
Willing to bet 100$ on Andrei Kostitsyn's career thriving once he leaves Montreal

Remember Ribeiro, Sergei K., Mikhael Grabovski, Latendresse? They were all very much maligned by fans and media, traded for practically nothing and then went on to have career years for different teams. That's so gonna happen again you'll see.
lol, and we know how great those teams became with those guys. Dallas has tried to move Ribeiro countless times. You give anyone 1st line minutes and they improve...see Darche.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 09:41 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
The difference being that AKost has had 7 years to not live up to expectations, not fit into the culture (both sides of UFA purge of '09) and still be defended by some fanboys.
He hasn't lived up to what he could have been. But yet he's still a 20-25 goal scorer. Hits hard like a truck and has always won 3-5 games a season by himself. At 3 million, he is a damn good 2nd line player.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Maybe because some fanboys (the real ones) set unrealistic expectations The "fanboys" you mention that defend AK are probably more realistic and less fanboys than the ones that complain about AK

AK is a consistent 20-25 goal scorer that hits hard and often. I have no issues with that. He is a good 2nd line winger and a great 3rd line winger on a team with depth like ours.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 10:48 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Maybe because some fanboys (the real ones) set unrealistic expectations The "fanboys" you mention that defend AK are probably more realistic and less fanboys than the ones that complain about AK

AK is a consistent 20-25 goal scorer that hits hard and often. I have no issues with that. He is a good 2nd line winger and a great 3rd line winger on a team with depth like ours.
Firstly, I'm far from a basher - in fact this is the only time that I've complained about him (outside of a bad game here and there) in years.

He consistently hits 20-25 goals each season but goes 15+ games without a goal each season. That's inconsistency in my books. The rest is a wash, I don't think he's a bad player or even a bad top6 player - he's just not worth the headache in my opinion.

This was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

He's replaceable and that's that.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:09 AM
otto bond

So who are we trading Andrei to and for what return? Long Island for Kirill Petrov+? Macleean+ in Phoenix?
Personally, Kostitsyn has all the tools and was one of my favorite year in and year out. He was on a tear that centennial year until his off ice behavior became public. The year before that, he was great until he was crushed by Sauer. This year, he was good until he was match to Gomez. Lets move on.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:21 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Firstly, I'm far from a basher - in fact this is the only time that I've complained about him (outside of a bad game here and there) in years.

He consistently hits 20-25 goals each season but goes 15+ games without a goal each season. That's inconsistency in my books. The rest is a wash, I don't think he's a bad player or even a bad top6 player - he's just not worth the headache in my opinion.

As a 3rd line player AK will excel, most teams won't have the depth to deal with him and will have to decide between covering him or the top 2 lines. I'm not a big AK fan but at what point do we realize that he's a valuable player to have on our team. He scores, he hits and isn't a defensive liability. All of the fan angst is directed at the fact that he's not been as productive as some that were drafted after him.

GET OVER IT

In terms of salary he makes significantly less than Gomez, Cole, Pleks, Cammy and Gio. MaxPac's emergence puts AK on the 3rd line. It's a nice problem to have, AK would probably be top 6 on most teams. The chances are he'll spend significant time on the top 6 because of injuries (I hope not) and JM's predisposition for line juggling. He'll also get PP time.

Our expectations are so high when it comes to ALL of our players that when they don't deliver immediately we cry for their heads. Having a player who scores 20 every year but is streaky is ok with me. If we can get 40-50 goals from the 3rd line thats awesome. I don't have the stats but I'll bet that we won 80% of games where the 3rd or 4th line scored last year and lost 50% when they didn't. That would translates to at least 50 wins and >100 points. It also spreads out the oppositions defence and gives our top lines more space and probably more points.

Someone please tell me how we're a better team without AK.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:40 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Someone please tell me how we're a better team without AK.
I agree with the rest of your post to varying degrees but to answer your question, I ask three:

1) How do you think Cammy, Gionta, Gomez, Gorges, Gill and Pleks treat him in the locker room? Do you think it's good for team chemistry - something that management has been stressing for this coming season - or, given his communication trouble, for his play on the ice?

2) How will Jacques treat him? Will it be how AK wants[demands] to be treated? Will it be conducive to an improvement in his play?

3) Would Detroit tolerate all the drama AKost has been involved in over the past 7 years? Would Pittsburgh, Chicago or Jersey?

Old
08-14-2011, 11:48 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I agree with the rest of your post to varying degrees but to answer your question, I ask three:

1) How do you think Cammy, Gionta, Gomez, Gorges, Gill and Pleks treat him in the locker room? Do you think it's good for team chemistry - something that management has been stressing for this coming season - or, given his communication trouble, for his play on the ice?

2) How will Jacques treat him? Will it be how AK wants[demands] to be treated? Will it be conducive to an improvement in his play?

3) Would Detroit tolerate all the drama AKost has been involved in over the past 7 years? Would Pittsburgh, Chicago or Jersey?
1) I've read that AK is one of the most liked players in the locker room.

2) Every player wants more ice time. I don't know if AK has actually demanded anything, do you? All we know for sure is that AK spoke to martin about how he could improve.

3) In detroit, pittsburgh or chicago, the 'AK drama' wouldn't even be considered drama. Everything is blown up here due to the media knowing how many readers a hockey story can grab. Yellow journalism, as Ozy would say. And jersey? Man do people in jersey even know the devils exist?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Subban76

Quote:

You do realize that what you just said applies to almost every scorer in this league? Only the 40+ goal scorers are more consistent, and even then. Look at Stamkos and Overchkin, they had long cold streaks also. That argument is just not valid to me. The same can be said about Gionta, Cammy. Any 25 goal scorer has these long streaks of not scoring. Why blame AK and not the others?

As for being replaceable, 20-25 goal scorers are not that easy to replace, especially ones that hit hard as a rock over 100 times per year. Not easy to replace what AK brings to the Habs.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Name me one 20g player that doesn't go through scoreless droughts.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
1) I've read that AK is one of the most liked players in the locker room.

2) Every player wants more ice time. I don't know if AK has actually demanded anything, do you? All we know for sure is that AK spoke to martin about how he could improve.

3) In detroit, pittsburgh or chicago, the 'AK drama' wouldn't even be considered drama. Everything is blown up here due to the media knowing how many readers a hockey story can grab. Yellow journalism, as Ozy would say. And jersey? Man do people in jersey even know the devils exist?
That last point is indisputably true. Montreal media is NOTHING like most markets. Even Toronto, while massively intensive, isn't as keen to stir up **** as Montreal is. Sharks looking for blood, some of them.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
"Lady......You wanna sauce on ur taco"

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Name me one 20g player that doesn't go through scoreless droughts.
That's a great sentence if you really think about it, cause if 20g player's didn't go through scoreless droughts than they'd probably be 40g players.

I don't think you need to reason on this one Kriss.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
That's a great sentence if you really think about it, cause if 20g player's didn't go through scoreless droughts than they'd probably be 40g players.

I don't think you need to reason on this one Kriss.
There is a difference between a player who is working his *** off but can't buy a goal and a player who plays disinterested.

Kostitsyn has been in the dog house for lack of effort from every head coach that we have had. He is held accountable for his actions (or lack thereof) and his response is that of a typical child.

I love his skill level but he is a "me first" type of player and those players don't fit in a winning environment. Hopefully he can dislodge his thumb from his yap and play like a professional this coming season.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:22 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
There is a difference between a player who is working his *** off but can't buy a goal and a player who plays disinterested.

Kostitsyn has been in the dog house for lack of effort from every head coach that we have had. He is held accountable for his actions (or lack thereof) and his response is that of a typical child.

I love his skill level but he is a "me first" type of player and those players don't fit in a winning environment. Hopefully he can dislodge his thumb from his yap and play like a professional this coming season.
I think how hard Andrei K works is very underrated. I think a lot of people also really underestimate how hard it must be to be on your A game 82 nights per year. I really doubt it's for lack of effort more often than not when a guy is invisible for a stretch of games. Who really knows what's going on?

As others have said though, obviously he's going to have stretches where he doesn't score...he's not a 40 goal scorer, is he?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
It would be a failure because like so many times before, Scott Gomez would fail to get a shot off.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 04:15 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

well, at 20/25 G a season, it means he's going to be 55/60+ games without scoring... considering that, how consistent you expect him to be, seriously...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 04:37 PM
tinyzombies

Would he scare me if the Bruins got him? No.

Would I ever think, during a playoff game, where is AK when we need him? No.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I think how hard Andrei K works is very underrated. I think a lot of people also really underestimate how hard it must be to be on your A game 82 nights per year. I really doubt it's for lack of effort more often than not when a guy is invisible for a stretch of games. Who really knows what's going on?

As others have said though, obviously he's going to have stretches where he doesn't score...he's not a 40 goal scorer, is he?
It is plain to see that he is dogging it on the ice for long stretches. Coaches don't bench players who are working hard and AK has rode the pine for every coach that has been here.

Old
08-14-2011, 04:51 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
It is plain to see that he is dogging it on the ice for long stretches. Coaches don't bench players who are working hard and AK has rode the pine for every coach that has been here.
Dump him (he's left us little choice), add a million or so and get a legit top 6 playoff forward.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
FlyingRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Dump him (he's left us little choice), add a million or so and get a legit top 6 playoff forward.
How many "legit top 6 playoff forwards" are there available at this time of year?

FlyingRat is offline   Reply With Quote