HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn Comments to Alexander Vankovich

Old
08-15-2011, 10:17 AM
JimmyDarmody

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you mean : Benoit Pouliot anyone...
Exactly. I like Patches but he's still a wild-card.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Anyone speak Russian and can actually translate what he said properly? Or better yet the actually audio.

I just don't see AK caring too much about the article and just saying whatever comes to mind. He should know by now that he should be careful with what his says, but really no biggy for those of us with half a brain (sorry Pat, you missed the boat on this one). It's evident he wants more icetime, but which player doesn't?

Anyways I want AK here and I want him to compete. I think our top 9 looks amazing with in, and dreadful without him. Eller needs good players to progress, can't be setting up Moen.

AK in MTL till he retires! (next year? )

CrAzYNiNe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Kostitsyn <3

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:18 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
panicking and working from a position of weakness is always the best plan when it comes to asset management. It has really worked well for us in the past.

The media needs to see that by over-blowing every scandal to the point of running players out of town we lose Grabovski, Latendresse, Sergei, Ribeiro and others, in exchange for 2 seasons of Benoit Pouliot, 10 games of Dustin Boyd, half a season of Robert Lang (I believe the 2rnd pick for Grabo went for Lang), and Internet Meme sensation Janne Niinimaa.

That being said....Kostitsyn for Taylor Beck and the rights to Radulov would be ok.

But our other panic-induced trades haven't worked out too well in the past, so I'm not optimistic.

As it stands now, 3 offensive lines that are deep in scoring is a good situation. As long as Andrei understands that his role as a 3rd line scorer with Eller (whom he had good chemistry with) and Desharnais, with some PP time as well, is far from the role of a 4th line grinder...we'll be ok.
Agreed. I hate thinking the media effects things like this... But they do.

CrAzYNiNe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Patccmoi

Why does someone 'has to go' the minute he gets frustrated with the coach or the way he's being used? If that's true, I'm sure there's a good 25% of the players on every team or nearly that 'have to go'.

Ok, he screwed up and complained to his local media about it. Bad idea, but geez get over it, AK never came out to me as the brightest, most composed player on the team. He's still a fine forward that you know you can expect 40-50 points and ~20 goals from.

And as some other said, except when he was paired with Gomez with whom he showed to have no chemistry whatsoever (then again last year Gomez had no chemistry with anyone, EVERY player was better somewhere else than with him), he did fine. He shouldn't complain about being put on the 3rd/4th line, he produced a whole lot better there than he did on the 2nd.

But bottom line is these frustrations are normal in a team, you will always have some players happy with the coach and how they're used and some that are not. And Martin is not a player's coach so he won't do his very best to pamper everyone. But these frustrations go away when a player finds chemistry on his line and performs well. If AK starts with Eller and their line is producing, he won't feel frustrated anymore. So just let it be and let the season play out, if there is truly a problem with him come January than you can try to find a good deal with another team that has a solid underperforming player.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

And another one.

Kostitsyn is a very talented player that repeatedly shows flashes of brilliance with long stretches of nothingness in between. He could be a great third-liner if he accepted the role, but if there's any truth to his comments, it's clear he won't.

He's not the brightest lamp in the shed and sometimes it really shows but he is a special player when he puts it all together. Hopefully whatever situation there is can be settled internally but if Andrei has any value, he'll probably be traded just like so many others before him. I hope he stays but if he doesn't start to show consistency this year, he probably won't be back anyway.

Wait and see I guess.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Gionta had 3 points in the first 13 games. Funny....he didnt find him self on the third line.
Consistency is an interesting issue and always comes up in discussion about AK. After reading your post, I figured I'd have a look at Gionta's assist'less streak mid season, and then had a look at our other top forwards who didn't miss many games last year (so no Cammy as I felt he missed too many games for it to be fair, and also it was less work). Found some interesting stuff (at least to me). Gionta's 26 game streak without an assist occured almost exactly in the middle 3rd of the season. You can break the season down into thirds or 2 month sections (28 games - 26 games - 28 games or as it appears on the calendar, Oct 07th to Dec 07th, Dec 10th to Feb 06th, Feb 09th to Apr 06th) around that streak without an assist. Which was a bit odd. The only other player to go an entire third of the season (using the same time frame) without either a goal or an assist was Gomez in the final third with 0 goals (but then we're used to Gomez not scoring in the final third of things)

Even weirded, the most productive player for a particular stat in one of those thirds was Gomez as well, with 16 assists in the middle third of the season.

Plek scored assists consistently through the season with his goals taking a bit of a drop in the final third. Perhaps due to tighter checking in the playoff drive or perhaps exhaustion. His biggest difference between goals and assists also occured in the final third.

If you just want to see the stats and avoid reading the word 'third' many, many times, skip to the bottom of the post. Otherwise...

Gio would have been a model of consistency, were it not for that bizarre streak of games without a single assist. His goals were scored like clockwork as were his assists, when he actually recorded some. Perhaps this combines with Gomez's assist streak with one setting up and the other scoring? Have to check the game logs to see if they were playing together most of those games.

AK's stats show he dropped off a bit in the middle of the season but his ratio of goals/assists wasn't more than 2 during any third of the season. His first and final thirds were pretty similar and comparable to the points recorded by any of the other 3 during these periods. His lower middle third total was still equal to Gio's middle third total (Gio's worst), Gomez's final 3rd total and better than Gomez's first third total (Gomez's worst). So ultimately, AK's worst third from a production POV is comparable to the worst Gio and Gomez gave us.

Gomez is an odd one. As mentioned, he had the highest scoring third for a particular stat (assists, middle third) and the joint second highest third for points with 19 (again, middle third) tied with AK's first third of the season. He also has the worst third for points of all 4 players (9 points in the opening third) and was one of two players to completely fail to record a single stat during a third (no goals, final third). Production wise, he did his best work in the middle of the season but got off to a bad start and struggled at the end of the year.

Plek
24gp 04g 10a (feb 09th - apr 06th)
26gp 09g 09a (dec 10th - feb 06th)
27gp 09g 13a (oct 07th - dec 07th)
Gionta
28gp 10g 08a (feb 09th - apr 06th)
26gp 10g 00a (dec 10th - feb 06th)
28gp 09g 09a (oct 07th - dec 07th)
AK
28gp 07g 09a (feb 09th - apr 06th)
25gp 04g 06a (dec 10th - feb 06th)
28gp 09g 10a (oct 07th - dec 07th)
Gomez
28gp 00g 10a (feb 09th - apr 06th)
24gp 03g 16a (dec 10th - feb 06th)
28gp 04g 05a (oct 07th - dec 07th)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Media tried to get Gomez out of town, didn't work and realized no one wanted him so they needed to target another player, his name Andrei Kostitsyn
So basically, what you are saying is that they want a rematch after failing to run AK out of town the 1st time. Worth remembering.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:04 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Anyone speak Russian and can actually translate what he said properly? Or better yet the actually audio.

I just don't see AK caring too much about the article and just saying whatever comes to mind. He should know by now that he should be careful with what his says, but really no biggy for those of us with half a brain (sorry Pat, you missed the boat on this one). It's evident he wants more icetime, but which player doesn't?

Anyways I want AK here and I want him to compete. I think our top 9 looks amazing with in, and dreadful without him. Eller needs good players to progress, can't be setting up Moen.

AK in MTL till he retires! (next year? )
This is what I've said all along. He sounds uninterested and annoyed to be doing the interview in the first place.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:12 AM
EdAVSfan

I think the habs should move Kostitsyn sometime during the year. The habs have to think asset management here.

At this point, Kostitsyn is a UFA at year's end, and im sure management has an idea on whether they plan on keeping him or not. Seems like they may be in a tough position. Its hard to know whether or not Kostitsyn will want to stick around, or if he'll want to test free agency.

But if he has a great start to his season, it may be time for the habs to get some assets for him rather than to possibly lose him for nothing. I believe they really are in a predicament. If he has a great season, then he may ask for even more money. And if he has a poor season, you know that the media will be all over this and speculate about his unhappiness (whether true or not).

If he's not in their long term plans, you do whats needed to get the best value for what you have.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
I think the habs should move Kostitsyn sometime during the year. The habs have to think asset management here.

At this point, Kostitsyn is a UFA at year's end, and im sure management has an idea on whether they plan on keeping him or not. Seems like they may be in a tough position. Its hard to know whether or not Kostitsyn will want to stick around, or if he'll want to test free agency.

But if he has a great start to his season, it may be time for the habs to get some assets for him rather than to possibly lose him for nothing. I believe they really are in a predicament. If he has a great season, then he may ask for even more money. And if he has a poor season, you know that the media will be all over this and speculate about his unhappiness (whether true or not).

If he's not in their long term plans, you do whats needed to get the best value for what you have.
I agree, but sometimes the best value is what a player brings to the team while he's still here.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:36 AM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
I agree, but sometimes the best value is what a player brings to the team while he's still here.
Well thats obvious. But GMs cant be looking only in the "now". They have to look towards the future as well. Im pretty sure a majority of hab fans would have traded souray and streit at some point in their final seasons to get some return back. Its one thing to keep a player because of holding onto him for a playoff run. Its another to hold onto him, hope he wants to re-sign, and then lose him altogether. At some point, the habs need to evaluate their line up and identify who is in their core. If Kostitsyn is not part of that, then maximizing your potential return is a priority.

If the habs have a legitimate stanley cup run next year, then yes, its understandable to keep Kostitsyn for it. But if the team is again a lower seed playoff team, barring Kostitsyn lighting up the league, it may be a good idea to move him for some assets rather than to lose him for nothing.

From what ive seen, hes being now demoted from a top 6 role to a 3rd line role. So he's being passed by the depth from the team, which is generally not a good sign.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:50 AM
WestIslander

In my opinion this is make it or break it for Kostitsyn and this season he needs to turn into a 30+ goal scorer with 60+ points, he should be given every opportunity to play with skilled players this season.

I hate to cry over spilled milk, but I wish Gainey and Timmins would have listened to Andre Savard and drafted Jeff Carter that year.

Imagine a Cammalleri - Carter - Cole line ;-)

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:55 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

When someone has Scott Gomez in your 'elite 4', you know he doesn't know what the **** he's talking about. Terrible article.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
In my opinion this is make it or break it for Kostitsyn and this season he needs to turn into a 30+ goal scorer with 60+ points, he should be given every opportunity to play with skilled players this season.

I hate to cry over spilled milk, but I wish Gainey and Timmins would have listened to Andre Savard and drafted Jeff Carter that year.

Then again, we don't know how Carter would have developed in Montreal. I doubt he would have score 40 goals here. And if the rumour are true, Carter (and Richards) likes to party.. a lot, that's why they were traded.

SO Imagine Carter+Montreal nightlife = DRAMAS/Worst day in Habs history.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:01 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post

I'd rather have Parise or Getzlaf

And just imagine Giroux instead of Fischer....

And Bergeron instead of Urquart...

And Lucic instead of Maxwell...

And Latendresse instead of Pouliot...

And S.K. instead of the invisible man....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:44 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Great players overcome line shuffling and don't measure the ice-time of their teamates. They worry about the job they have to do. They buy into a team system concept and do whatever it takes to help the team win. They don't complain about icetime, about where they play or when they just play. That's the way I see it anyway. And about his best start if I recall he cooled off considerably before being "demoted".

And great coaches overcome their own egos by trying to get the most out of each individual player so that it benefits the team.

They dont continue to move productive players off of productive lines just to get another line going. They are able to see their mistakes and then adjust quickly. They only worry about their job, and that is to win by insuring their players......all of them.....to be on top of their game.

Dictators demand subordinates to follow. Leaders inspire subordinates to follow.

Each year we hear about this player or that player "complaining" about management. And more often than not, that player is gone with nothing to show for it. We need a change in management and coaching.....sooner rather than later.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:46 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
And great coaches overcome their own egos by trying to get the most out of each individual player so that it benefits the team.

They dont continue to move productive players off of productive lines just to get another line going. They are able to see their mistakes and then adjust quickly. They only worry about their job, and that is to win by insuring their players......all of them.....to be on top of their game.

Dictators demand subordinates to follow. Leaders inspire subordinates to follow.

Each year we hear about this player or that player "complaining" about management. And more often than not, that player is gone with nothing to show for it. We need a change in management and coaching.....sooner rather than later.
Jacques Martin lost all claim to being a great coach the day he shaved his moustache.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:47 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Patrick Roy had to go.
Pierre Turgeon had to go.
Claude Lemieux had to go.
Matheiu Schneider had to go.
Chris Chelios had to go.
Latendresse had to go.
Sergei had to go.
Grabovski had to go.
Ribeiro had to go.

Everytime a player "has to go" because management can't do a good job developing, communicating and keeping players happy.. we come out on the losing end.

If Kostitsyn has to go. Look forward to another minimal trade on an asset who will put up points.
Great post. Add Lappy and Pouliot to that list.

Wouldnt be a problem if we had Crosby and Ovechkin on the team. But we dont.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Patrick Roy had to go.
Chris Chelios had to go.
Latendresse had to go.
Sergei had to go.
Grabovski had to go.
Ribeiro had to go.

Everytime a player "has to go" because management can't do a good job developing, communicating and keeping players happy.. we come out on the losing end.

If Kostitsyn has to go. Look forward to another minimal trade on an asset who will put up points.

Don't you dare talk against management!! They are always right.

Those players had to go.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:55 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Don't you dare talk against management!! They are always right.

Those players had to go.

LoL, half of those guys are from regimes like 10-15 years in the past. You guys remind me of Walter Sobchek.

The only player on that list (out of the reasonable ones included) I wish the habs never got rid of was Grabovski.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:06 PM
FF de Mars

I'm wondering if there is a loophole in the agreement with the KHL. It'd be nice to have Radulov instead of Kostitsyn this year if we trade for him.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:28 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I'm wondering if there is a loophole in the agreement with the KHL. It'd be nice to have Radulov instead of Kostitsyn this year if we trade for him.
There is none.

Me too, i would trade A.K. to Nashville for Radulov if I was 100% sure he would come back to the NHL to play for the Habs.

But he is the kingpin of the KHL, their best marquee player.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Patrick Roy had to go.
Chris Chelios had to go.
Latendresse had to go.
Sergei had to go.
Grabovski had to go.
Ribeiro had to go.

We didn't get minimal return for the bolded players.

For crying out loud, Schneider was traded with Muller for Turgeon and Malakhov...

Chelios... we got friggin Denis Savard

Turgeon for Corson

Lemieux... well its not like he was a star player, we got Sylvain Turgeon, who had scored 40+ goals twice with Hartford.... Something Lemieux had never done with the Habs.

As for Roy, sign, the only notable player, well developed, but with an inept management crew that was there to make sure we had minimal salaries to pay.

But sure, mix everything in the same convenient pot, call it falsehood, and then enjoy.

I was going to advise you to not use selective memory, but then I remembered your age, and kinda remembered that you were a toddler when most of those trades (bolded) happened... (you must be around 22-24 by now?)

Maybe next time, don't talk of things you don't have a clue about...

As for the rest, they were not star players. The only one that came close to that is Ribiero, but for his it's an entirely different story.

Most of the list had been properly developed, you're making things up. The only ones who could actually fit the bill, came in a time were other players were succesfuly developed... but yeah, it's all on the club, not the players who can't make it...

And then you have all the smart*** posters who cheer your post yet don't see it's inherent fallacies. Bash bash bash. don't blink. Put the "pied de poule" song with those lyrics and it gets kinda rhymin... that's actually all your post does, make those usual bashing posters sing along. Bash bash bash, don't blink. Cause not one of them stopped to think a bit and see that half your list is false as to your premise, and the other half are players we CAN do without.

Hey Halak had to go too... funny huh? You didn't mention him...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Great post. Add Lappy and Pouliot to that list.

Wouldnt be a problem if we had Crosby and Ovechkin on the team. But we dont.
You can't have your cake and eat it too.

If Lats got us minmal value, hence Pouliot, than what do you expect to get for Pouliot?

This is not EA's NHL.

As for Lappy, he's a 3rd line player at best, big hoopla!

The ones on the list which we didn't get 'proper' return were all lil ****s who put themselves before the team. Good friggin riddance. I wouldn't want to play with players like that on my team and I don't see why respectable guys like Koivu, Gio, Gill would endure such demoralizing nitwits on their team.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
There is none.

Me too, i would trade A.K. to Nashville for Radulov if I was 100% sure he would come back to the NHL to play for the Habs.

But he is the kingpin of the KHL, their best marquee player.
I'm thinking Radu would ask for the moon.

We ready to pay Radu 7 mil???

Oh I know we have the dough... but is it worth the risk and cap hit?