HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

THN Rangers preview

Old
09-08-2011, 03:09 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
THN Rangers preview

Quote:
The New York Rangers season ended rather abruptly last spring with a first round, five-game loss to the Washington Capitals. But that was before GM Glen Sather signed 2004 Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards. This year the Rangers are primed to make some noise in the Eastern Conference.

On this edition of the THN Puck Panel we continue our team previews with a look at the Broadway Blueshirts. Host Edward Fraser is joined by writers Ryan Kennedy and Ken Campbell to discuss…
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...2-preview.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

pretty fair review....

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:23 PM
NYR Viper

What I find funny, is that the Conn Smythe trophy win is talked about so much when Richards is brought up. It was in 2004! That's 7 years ago! That's a long time ago in a players career.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:27 PM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
I thought THN hated the Rangers? That was actually objective and well thought out. I can't wait until this season gets underway. I haven't been this excited about the start of a season in a very long time.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
What I find funny, is that the Conn Smythe trophy win is talked about so much when Richards is brought up. It was in 2004! That's 7 years ago! That's a long time ago in a players career.
winning the Conn Smythe is a pretty big deal, hell, how many active players can say they've done it? 10? 12? 15? something like that? out of hundreds of players? it's not quite a little league championship, but it's still a pretty big deal.

Old
09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

just looked it up...only 7 active players have won the Conn Smythe...

Old
09-08-2011, 03:34 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
winning the Conn Smythe is a pretty big deal, hell, how many active players can say they've done it? 10? 12? 15? something like that? out of hundreds of players? it's not quite a little league championship, but it's still a pretty big deal.
I know it's a big deal. I just don't know why it is stressed when it was SO long ago. 7 seasons in the NHL is a long time. A lot can happen in 7 seasons. That's all that I meant by it. Is it impressive? Of course. But to use it say he is a great player now I think is stretching it.

To put it in perspective:

Scott Gomez was a Rookie of the year 8 years prior to being signed by the Rangers.

Brad Richards was a Conn Smythe winner 7 years prior to becoming a Ranger.

It's just a long time.

****Disclaimer****
I am not saying Richards will turn out like Gomez, or that the Conn Smythe is on the same level as the ROY, just that it is silly to bring up something from so long ago to describe a player now.

Old
09-08-2011, 03:38 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I sort of agree. They should be talking about his 90 point season from two years ago .

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:44 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Strength down the middle. Centers. Defense. Goaltending. That's usually the formula for successful teams. The Rangers have strength down the middle. Three of the top 4 wingers are very good players.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:46 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
I know it's a big deal. I just don't know why it is stressed when it was SO long ago. 7 seasons in the NHL is a long time. A lot can happen in 7 seasons. That's all that I meant by it. Is it impressive? Of course. But to use it say he is a great player now I think is stretching it.

To put it in perspective:

Scott Gomez was a Rookie of the year 8 years prior to being signed by the Rangers.

Brad Richards was a Conn Smythe winner 7 years prior to becoming a Ranger.

It's just a long time.

****Disclaimer****
I am not saying Richards will turn out like Gomez, or that the Conn Smythe is on the same level as the ROY, just that it is silly to bring up something from so long ago to describe a player now.

Conn Smthe >>>>>>>>>>>>> Calder

Like inferno said, it's a huge deal. It significant because it says this guy is a playoff performer and turns it on when it matters most. And that will be huge for the rangers, hence why it's being mentioned

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
He's been to the playoffs only three times since then, though.

31 points in 29 playoff games in that span.

62 points in 63 career playoff games. Leading his team in playoff scoring every playoff appearance but one (was two points behind Ribeiro in 07-08) He's a proven playoff performer.

The Conn Smythe is a big deal.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 09-08-2011 at 03:52 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I sort of agree. They should be talking about his 90 point season from two years ago .
That's what I am talking about. Why not stress the point totals or the face-off percentages or the assist totals from the past few years. That shows more what type of player he is currently.

Old
09-08-2011, 03:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Conn Smthe >>>>>>>>>>>>> Calder

Like inferno said, it's a huge deal. It significant because it says this guy is a playoff performer and turns it on when it matters most. And that will be huge for the rangers, hence why it's being mentioned
I said they weren't similar, just the point of bringing something up from so long ago.

Old
09-08-2011, 03:52 PM
MorrisWanchuk

What was noticeable about this clip to me was that it took them until 2/3rds of the way through their review to mention Hank. They even got to talk McD/Sauer before they talk Hank.

Usually the lazy reviews of the Rangers go something like this..... "it begins and ends with Lundqvist". These guys seem to get it. A refreshing change.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 03:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
That's what I am talking about. Why not stress the point totals or the face-off percentages or the assist totals from the past few years. That shows more what type of player he is currently.
What he is, is an elite center, that not only gets it done in the regular season, but he is a playoff performer.

I believe people use his Conn Smythe as a reference to make that point.

It's not like he only had one great playoff performance in 04. Every time his team has been in the playoffs, he has been that teams' top performer in the playoffs.

Old
09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
What he is, is an elite center, that not only gets it done in the regular season, but he is a playoff performer.

It's not like he only had one great playoff performance in 04. Every time his team has been in the playoffs, he has been that teams' top performer in the playoffs.
I know what you mean. I just find it funny that it is brought up ALL THE TIME and it was 7 years ago. 7 years ago was Crosby even out of diapers?

Old
09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

exactly. we're VERY lucky to have him. and his salary cap hit is low when compared to his performance.

Old
09-08-2011, 04:00 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
I said they weren't similar, just the point of bringing something up from so long ago.
But that's what I'm trying to say. It's such an important award, it's probably the most prestigious individual award a hockey player can win, that it bears repeating.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
But that's what I'm trying to say. It's such an important award, it's probably the most prestigious individual award a hockey player can win, that it bears repeating.
not probably...it IS the most prestigious individual award a hockey player can win...only 7 guys currently in the ENTIRE NHL have that award.

Old
09-08-2011, 04:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I know what you mean. I just find it funny that it is brought up ALL THE TIME and it was 7 years ago. 7 years ago was Crosby even out of diapers?
LOL. Sometimes i think Crosby is still in diapers.

It was a long time ago, but to me, he is still the same player. Probably better due to his experience now.

Old
09-08-2011, 04:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
not probably...it IS the most prestigious individual award a hockey player can win...only 7 guys currently in the ENTIRE NHL have that award.
I agree.

Old
09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

It is a very big deal to win the Coon Smythe; shows that a player shows up at the most important times. Often superstars win it, but solid 2nd liners like Goring, Claude Lemieux, and Gainey along with goalies like Ranford, Cam Ward, Mike Vernon have won it.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Poozer

Seems like a fair review to me, the funniest part about the whole thing is watching the various "highlights."

Such as Lundqvist putting a nice big rebound into the slot, Richards dumping in the puck... they had some nice ones in there too, but still amusing to me.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedwrister17 View Post
I thought THN hated the Rangers? That was actually objective and well thought out. I can't wait until this season gets underway. I haven't been this excited about the start of a season in a very long time.
LOL we only say they hate the Rangers, and talk about how stupid everyone there is, when they say something bad about the team.

When they say something nice, they're objective, well thought out, and downright geniuses.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:15 PM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

vCash: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
What was noticeable about this clip to me was that it took them until 2/3rds of the way through their review to mention Hank. They even got to talk McD/Sauer before they talk Hank.

Usually the lazy reviews of the Rangers go something like this..... "it begins and ends with Lundqvist". These guys seem to get it. A refreshing change.
That's a great point. We've come a long way.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote