HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers 1st Line LW

View Poll Results: 1st line LW?
Brandon Dubinsky 40 37.04%
Wojtek Wolski 48 44.44%
Mats Zuccarello 0 0%
Brian Boyle 3 2.78%
Derek Stepan 3 2.78%
Mike Rupp 3 2.78%
Carl Hagelin 0 0%
Sean Avery 11 10.19%
Brandon Prust 0 0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-11-2011, 10:11 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

vCash: 500
Really Wolski with 12? Wow. I'm shocked

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Gordie We Trust View Post
Hell, I'll even throw in the no goalie option 6 skaters, Staal or Cally stays back
Callahan would make an awesome goalie! Look ma! No hands!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:14 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I went with Wolski. I think he'll thrive playing with Gaborik and Richards.
That line will score a goal then give up 2 more. Gabby and Richards revolve around the cycling game. The will need a grinder on their line to do the dirty work and Wolski certainly isnt the guy.

Fedotenko, Dubinsky, Stepan, and even Anisimov, Boyle are all more ideal fits.

Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I went with Wolski. I think he'll thrive playing with Gaborik and Richards.
i went with wolski because, frankly, he's the only player that makes sense there.

Dubi doesnt make sense to me because the Dubi-AA-Cally line, composed of 2nd liners, played like a 1st line thanks to insane chemistry and parts complimenting each other so frikkin flawlessly. so why break up a line of lesser players that play above their heads to improve a line that already should be frikkin amazing with Richards and Gaborik. Fedotenko doesn't make sense to me because I dont think he has the speed or skill to keep up with either of those 2 players. Wolski has the speed, skill, hands, vision, EVERYTHING to play with those 2....except for his head...which is questionable at best...im hoping this being essentially a contract year for him, and the chance to play with 2 elite offensive players will change his game around from being a fringe 2nd line player, to a true top line player that his talent dictates. Frankly outside of Kreider, we dont have any players under 25 with the kind of ceiling Wolski has....he's frustrating as effing hell because of his lackadaisical play, and his questionable hockey sense...but the talent is unquestionably there...and he has put up pretty good numbers over his career prior to this past season.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bardof425*

Need skill. Wolski has the most skill. Will he bring it consistently is the question. He also has good size if he chooses to use it.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:15 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
That line will score a goal then give up 2 more. Gabby and Richards revolve around the cycling game. The will need a grinder on their line to do the dirty work and Wolski certainly isnt the guy.

'Gabby revolves around the cycle game' is something I need explained to me with video support.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:16 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Callahan would make an awesome goalie! Look ma! No hands!
I concur

Old
08-11-2011, 10:21 AM
mrhockey193195

Quote:

I disagree. I do think that a grinder would succeed with Gaborik and Richards as well, but I don't think it's necessary. Having three skilled guys on the same line is not a bad thing (i.e. Straka-Nylander-Jagr).

I do agree with you on the point of defense/backchecking, but Richards is pretty capable in his own zone. And I think that line, if they find chemistry, will be able to cycle and control the puck in the offensive zone for long periods of time (i.e. the best kind of defense).

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

totally disagree with that line of thinking. the alfie, spezza, heatley line didnt have a real mucker there, the heatley, thornton, marleau line...I dont know if you would consider Ron Francis a mucker...but the Francis - Lemieux - Jagr line had ridiculous skill.

as long as you have Henrik between the pipes, and Staal-Girardi out there with a top line of Wolski - Richards - Gaborik there is no frikkin way in hell it will be a 1-2 ratio for that 6 some....frankly it could easily be a 3-1 ratio in our favor...if not more. theyll posses the puck, and we have one of the top 3 goalies in the universe, a damn good shut down top pairing defense that probably is one of the top 5 in the league in terms of shutting down other top lines...

im not worried about that at all...

Old
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Rupp is a VERY good forechecker. He played with Crosby on multiple occasions because of his speed, size and forechecking skills. He turns pucks over because of all of that. How do you capitalize on that? By allowing those turned over pucks to go to Gaborik or Richards.

He also isnt like Orr, or Brashear (Old version), the guy has some skills. Lines need someone who can do the dirty work and retrieve pucks. Rupp or Fedotenko. Leave the Pack line intact.
I agree 100% on both counts. Leave Pack line intact and Rupp can forecheck and retrieve pucks very well. Him and Feds and Avery should split time there.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:22 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
'Gabby revolves around the cycle game' is something I need explained to me with video support.
Gaborik has always played with a defensive forward. In Miiny he played with Koivu, Voros, PMB and other grinders. In NY, he's always played with someone like Prospal, Fedotenko, Dubinsky, Avery, Anisimov etc. He has always had someone to do the dirty work for him. Richards and Gaborik need someone to do work in the corners while they wait up top. If you watch highlights of them, most of their goals happen from the top of the circles and the slot. They never venture into the offensive corners.

Dubinsky or Feds will be perfect to go into the corner and fight for the puck and then move it to the slot where Gaborik and Richards are. Wolski is not that player.

Old
08-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Gaborik has always played with a defensive forward. In Miiny he played with Koivu, Voros, PMB and other grinders. In NY, he's always played with someone like Prospal, Fedotenko, Dubinsky, Avery, Anisimov etc. He has always had someone to do the dirty work for him. Richards and Gaborik need someone to do work in the corners while they wait up top. If you watch highlights of them, most of their goals happen from the top of the circles and the slot. They never venture into the offensive corners.

Dubinsky or Feds will be perfect to go into the corner and fight for the puck and then move it to the slot where Gaborik and Richards are. Wolski is not that player.
actually, if you watch Wolskis game, he's pretty good in the corners...the real problem with him is getting his lazy ass to go into the corners consistently.

Old
08-11-2011, 10:24 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I really dont want to touch the Pack line but I just dont see Rupp playing on the top line. I think Wolski gets the nod and then if not him Dubi and Feds would be ahead on the list of consideration before Rupp is. Even Avery imo.
I think Torts will rotate both Rupp and Fedotenko and possibly Boyle through that line throughout games. I wouldn't expect any (1) of those guys to play 22 minutes, but I think they will all see some time up there and all be around 10-13 minutes a night. I think that is the best way to go about it because Fedotenko and Boyle especially deserve more than 5-8 minutes of ice time a game.

I just want to point out that Wolski had a total of 12 goals last year. Boyle had 21 and is MUCH better defensively.

Just throwing it out there.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

This spot is Wolski's to lose, keep the pack line together to start the season off

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:27 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
totally disagree with that line of thinking. the alfie, spezza, heatley line didnt have a real mucker there, the heatley, thornton, marleau line...I dont know if you would consider Ron Francis a mucker...but the Francis - Lemieux - Jagr line had ridiculous skill.

as long as you have Henrik between the pipes, and Staal-Girardi out there with a top line of Wolski - Richards - Gaborik there is no frikkin way in hell it will be a 1-2 ratio for that 6 some....frankly it could easily be a 3-1 ratio in our favor...if not more. theyll posses the puck, and we have one of the top 3 goalies in the universe, a damn good shut down top pairing defense that probably is one of the top 5 in the league in terms of shutting down other top lines...

im not worried about that at all...
Alfie does dirty work in the corners actually. He's not a Gaborik or Richards type player. The reason you can pair Ovi-Backstrom-Semin is because Ovechkin isnt afraid to do the work in the corners while Backstrom and Semin wait up top (similar to Gaborik and Richards)

I'm in no way comparing Dubinsky or Fedotenko to any of those guys (Alfie, Ovi) as they are both future HOFers, but my point is they play harder than Gaborik and Richards. I will gladly eat crow if Wolski works out on that line, but with Torts the expert line juggler, you never know who will be with thsose two..

Old
08-11-2011, 10:29 AM
NYR Viper

In Dallas, Richards had players like Eriksson and Neal. He thrived.

Not everyone can have the puck all the time and as it is, both Gaborik and Richards like to have control of the puck. You need someone who doesnt need the puck and can still add to the line when he doesnt have it.

Also, Alfredsson is a great forechecker, so you can't use that line.

Rupp/Boyle/Fedotenko

Old
08-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
In Dallas, Richards had players like Eriksson and Neal. He thrived.

Not everyone can have the puck all the time and as it is, both Gaborik and Richards like to have control of the puck. You need someone who doesnt need the puck and can still add to the line when he doesnt have it.

Also, Alfredsson is a great forechecker, so you can't use that line.

Rupp/Boyle/Fedotenko
actually just the opposite...Gabby has said repeatedly he DOESNT want the puck, that he wants a center that can carry the puck and find him...because of the complete lack of skill on the Rangers hes basically been forced to be a center, and a winger at the same time....hes a sniper...he needs to find himself open for breakaways or for 1-timers or sneak in and get those poke-in type goals hes famous for.... Richards-Gaborik makes so much sense together its ridiculous.

Old
08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
actually, if you watch Wolskis game, he's pretty good in the corners...the real problem with him is getting his lazy ass to go into the corners consistently.
My point exactly. You need someone to consistantly do this, not just when he feels like it.

Remember Gaborik's 4 goal game? Watch his 1st and 2nd goals vs Toronto here. Avery and Anisimov did all the dirty work while Gaborik was in the slot. Waiting for the puck to get to him. One of the nights where he excels. He has someone feeding him the puck and someone retrieving it. That's his game. It's all about his speed and shot.

Old
08-11-2011, 10:37 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

So, Wolski plays on that top line... who's winning the puck? Im not sure I've seen a more one-dimensional, unphysical line ever.

Dubinsky will get Richards and Gaborik the puck so they can do what they do.

Will Wolski go into the corners and work for the puck? Will he goto the net and outwork defenders?

Come on now.

Skill is not everything.

Take a look at ever great Rangers top line in history, what's the ingredient? Playmaker, scorer, multi-dimensional worker.

Fred Cook - Frank Boucher - Bill Cook

Lynn Patrick - Neil Colville - Bryan Hextall

Hadfield - Ratelle - Gilbert

Graves - Messier - Kovalev/Gartner

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik

Seriously, is Wolski the kind of guy you want there? No.

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik

The "pack line" is not as important as the top line. Wolski can fill in on the second line with Anisimov and Callahan who are both very good defensively, responsible, and hard working.

Hopefully Tortorella has some sense about him.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:40 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
So, Wolski plays on that top line... who's winning the puck? Im not sure I've seen a more one-dimensional, unphysical line ever.

Dubinsky will get Richards and Gaborik the puck so they can do what they do.

Will Wolski go into the corners and work for the puck? Will he goto the net and outwork defenders?

Come on now.

Skill is not everything.

Take a look at ever great Rangers top line in history, what's the ingredient? Playmaker, scorer, multi-dimensional worker.

Fred Cook - Frank Boucher - Bill Cook

Lynn Patrick - Neil Colville - Bryan Hextall

Hadfield - Ratelle - Gilbert

Graves - Messier - Kovalev/Gartner

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik

Seriously, is Wolski the kind of guy you want there? No.

Dubinsky - Richards - Gaborik

The "pack line" is not as important as the top line. Wolski can fill in on the second line with Anisimov and Callahan who are both very good defensively, responsible, and hard working.

Hopefully Tortorella has some sense about him.
This x 1000.

Old
08-11-2011, 10:41 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
actually just the opposite...Gabby has said repeatedly he DOESNT want the puck, that he wants a center that can carry the puck and find him...because of the complete lack of skill on the Rangers hes basically been forced to be a center, and a winger at the same time....hes a sniper...he needs to find himself open for breakaways or for 1-timers or sneak in and get those poke-in type goals hes famous for.... Richards-Gaborik makes so much sense together its ridiculous.
That is all good and great Inferno, but when he was in Minnesota he and Koivu could NOT play together. They both needed the puck. That is why a player like Prospal thrived with him. Vinny is the type of player who he can do give-and-go's with but doesn't necessarily need to carry the puck.

Gaborik is a great player, but like Jagr, he needs the puck. Whether that is because he has never found the "right" center is another argument, but he did have a couple of good, skilled centers in Minnesota on PMB and Koivu.

He is the type of player who likes to receive the puck in space and then carry the puck using his speed. Last year he never got the puck with space. Richards should help him get more space out there but he is not the type of player who circles around and then receives a pass and shoots the puck immediately. He likes to control the puck and the play.

It's not a bad thing. He and Richards should help eachother. But I don't think Wolski adds much to that line if he is not able to touch the puck a lot. That's why a power-forward would be ideal. They are normally straight ahead, North-South players who don't need to control the puck but rather drive the net and create space by forechecking.

Old
08-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Wolly, for reasons I have laid out in detail.

It just works.

BTW, anyone have the thread for our all decade team? Can't find it.

08-11-2011, 10:48 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Dubinsky as our 1LW.

That line will need someone who can forecheck and procure the puck. Wolski has the talent to play with Richards+Gabby, but he's not a puckhound. We need someone who can play in the gritty areas of the ice.

I like Wolski on our second line anyway. AA+Cally will open up the ice a bit for Wolski. Both are stellar defensively, so Wolski can really focus on providing some offensive creativity.
TITCR. Wolski is the antithesis of the type of player we should have playing with Richards and Gaborik, and those two are a given as the #1C and #1RW to start the year.

Richards and Gaborik don't need someone who is going to add skill and finesse to the line. They already have both in more than adequate quantities. They need someone who's going to retrieve pucks on the forecheck, drive to the net, and play responsible defense. Wolski is not that guy. Dubinsky is our best option. Even Fedotenko, or [gasp] Avery, makes more sense with Richards + Gaborik than Wolski does.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:01 AM
ohbaby

I need to remind yall, we had only one line that work well last year. The Pack line. That will be our top line. It will not be broken up. So forget Dubi playing with Gabby and Richards. Not happening. At least not for the long run. As we all know Torts will shake things up so he might get a shift or game there,... but it wont stick. More likely Feds, Avery, and Rupp, will share time there.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

How about this. I may be the only one, but I don't think I am, that thinks Anisimov has some hidden chemistry with Gaborik. Most people want D-Step to stay at Center, as do I. Maybe we can move Arty to LW and try this.

Anisimov-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Stepan-Callahan
Wolski-Rupp/Boyle-Fedotenko/Zuccarello
Fedotenko/Zuccarello (if Zucc, switch him to RW and put Prust at LW)-Rupp/Boyle-Prust

Just my 2 cents. I think it would work very nicely. Also, if we want Stepan to develop into the best he can be, look no further, have him play with Duby and Cally, two guys who know what it's all about. I'd rather Stepan play and develop between Duby and Cally than play and develop between Wolski and Zuccarello

And if Hagelin makes the team, switch out Zuccarello for Hagelin. Because most likely, that's the spot he'll be taking, Zucc's.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote