HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Getting TV installed

Old
08-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Toydarian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
My main job has me working on a cold fusion reactor. In my spare time I like to build rockets and for some extra money on the side I do surgery on pet fish.
I true renaissance man!

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:36 AM
OilersFacepalm

We're probably switching to Telus because we've had nothing but problems with Shaw's internet. After about 3-4 service calls, they still haven't fixed the problem, plus while my mom was phoning about it AGAIN the rep was snotty from the get go on the phone. After asking what my mom would like her to do about it exactly she said we shouldn't have reset the modem (which we've been told to do) because they can't replicate the problem. After my mom informed her that she needs it to work and it takes two hours for them to call you back, the rep hung up on her, so that's pretty much it. My mom was obviously annoyed but wasn't yelling or swearing or anything like that, so she's just a moron. Have no need for the laptop, so we're going to ask about the Xbox instead, though I doubt we'll be able to do that.

OilersFacepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:07 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Weeell, hard to blame the reps sometimes. I worked at a call center a long time ago for almost 2 years. A year doing HP stuff, another year doing Roadrunner Tier2 services. (similiar to shaw). The job can get to you, and after a while you start not caring to much particularly when everyone seems to get on you for handle times rather than caring about the quality of the call resolution. At the best of times (and we all did it) you accidentally on purpose hung on people who where being ignorant and not listening to you. Anyways, my point is that if you get someone who is being ignorant at a call center sometimes its best to call back and get someone else. At least with Shaw you can usually do that in under a couple of minutes (I had to call Telus 3 time to setup my appointment, first one hung up, second couldn't be bothered to set up then because she had to go home, and the last one finally did) .... that took 2 hours.

PS, the end result ended up in the previous post of mine on here. Showed up to the wrong address, and lyed about calling the contact number. Woot, goooo Telus 8)
PSS, working at a call center ... worst job of my life. I still shutter when I drive by the place .... and its a princess Auto now lol.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 04:02 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
Weeell, hard to blame the reps sometimes. I worked at a call center a long time ago for almost 2 years. A year doing HP stuff, another year doing Roadrunner Tier2 services. (similiar to shaw). The job can get to you, and after a while you start not caring to much particularly when everyone seems to get on you for handle times rather than caring about the quality of the call resolution. At the best of times (and we all did it) you accidentally on purpose hung on people who where being ignorant and not listening to you. Anyways, my point is that if you get someone who is being ignorant at a call center sometimes its best to call back and get someone else. At least with Shaw you can usually do that in under a couple of minutes (I had to call Telus 3 time to setup my appointment, first one hung up, second couldn't be bothered to set up then because she had to go home, and the last one finally did) .... that took 2 hours.

PS, the end result ended up in the previous post of mine on here. Showed up to the wrong address, and lyed about calling the contact number. Woot, goooo Telus 8)
PSS, working at a call center ... worst job of my life. I still shutter when I drive by the place .... and its a princess Auto now lol.
And then they ship these jobs overseas, then the same people that complained about call centre work would say why are companies sending this **** overseas?

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 12:30 PM
OilersFacepalm

Well fair enough, not everyone is easy to deal with, but my mom was not being at all belligerent. The only reason she was annoyed in the first place was because the rep wqs snotty as soon as she answered. And when it's a 2 hour wait time (as it has been for weeks as they've been having all kinds of trouble), it isn't possible to "just call back". Bottom line, as frustrating as your job may be it's not really an excuse to hang up on a customer that YOU'RE being belligerent with.

OilersFacepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersFacepalm View Post
We're probably switching to Telus because we've had nothing but problems with Shaw's internet. After about 3-4 service calls, they still haven't fixed the problem, plus while my mom was phoning about it AGAIN the rep was snotty from the get go on the phone. After asking what my mom would like her to do about it exactly she said we shouldn't have reset the modem (which we've been told to do) because they can't replicate the problem. After my mom informed her that she needs it to work and it takes two hours for them to call you back, the rep hung up on her, so that's pretty much it. My mom was obviously annoyed but wasn't yelling or swearing or anything like that, so she's just a moron. Have no need for the laptop, so we're going to ask about the Xbox instead, though I doubt we'll be able to do that.
Sounds like your mom got the not-so-experienced phone jockey. When I get the expert who is simply reading me the manual and refusing to address my concern, I ask for a different person. That usually does the trick.

But we've switched from Star Coice + Shaw Internet to Telus, and aside from the PVR unit requiring a couple of reboots in the first week, all is roses.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
And then they ship these jobs overseas, then the same people that complained about call centre work would say why are companies sending this **** overseas?
Has to do with Cost effectiveness, nothing to do with the Reps. Same reason why answering and ending a call was WAY more important than resolving the problem. Same reason why the call center isn't here anymore, dollar went up, 1000 job call center went to bye-bye. I was one of the few guys who went out the way to fix problems, but I got tons and tons of **** for it, and was one of the reasons why I hated the place. Dollar is still king .... sometimes the best customer service isn't.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Hoogaar23

Not much to contribute re: packages as I live out East where our choices are pretty much just Rogers and BellAliant.

But one truth throughout our country, and in the US as well is this: All Big telcos suck. Over the last 10+ years, I swore I would never go back to Rogers, then I swore I would go back to BellAliant, then I swore I would never go back to Rogers...

I'm now back with Bell. F loyalty to these companies. To me, it's now a matter of what have you done for me lately. Whomever wants to give me the best deal will get my business because I know that when I need it, the service has a pretty good chance of being horrible.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
F loyalty to these companies. To me, it's now a matter of what have you done for me lately. Whomever wants to give me the best deal will get my business because I know that when I need it, the service has a pretty good chance of being horrible.
Absolutely. It's probably best to switch every three years just to get the "new customer" perks. None of these companies deserve any loyalty.

Old
08-21-2011, 08:56 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
Has to do with Cost effectiveness, nothing to do with the Reps. Same reason why answering and ending a call was WAY more important than resolving the problem. Same reason why the call center isn't here anymore, dollar went up, 1000 job call center went to bye-bye. I was one of the few guys who went out the way to fix problems, but I got tons and tons of **** for it, and was one of the reasons why I hated the place. Dollar is still king .... sometimes the best customer service isn't.
But its the same people that always say "we dont get paid enough for this ****"

some unionize, boom good bye job

And yea it does involve cost cutting and saving money, thats an obvious one. But my main point is that these people that complain about the job are the same ones later on that complain about their jobs moving overseas, just kinda funny

Old
08-21-2011, 09:28 PM
dmacin2*

I could not be happier with my Telus services. Also the price is pretty good too.

After my promos my monthly bill was about $120. I figure thats not bad as I have every channel I can think of and my HS connection has been almost perfect for 2 years. Seems to work just as fast when I am watching TV and recording 2 HD programs. I have 3 laptops and 2 Iphones running of the WIFI and have never had any issues.

Last edited by dmacin2*: 08-22-2011 at 09:55 PM.
dmacin2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

I don't want to start another topic on this but I also hope I get a lot of replies and opinions.

We are currently with Telus TV and we are thinking of switching to Shaw because Shaw has an offer out for $99.90 3 year rate guarantee for your TV (Specialized Package of Channels including all sports channels in HD and 30+ HD channels), internet (50 MBPS DL Speed 400 GB Data Usage) and land line phone. Of course, we have to pay $15.75 monthly (or $567 for both boxes) for the Shaw Gateway HDPVR and Total Portal HD Terminal Box. I asked them about after the 3 year deal and asked if they will charge more after the 3 years and they told me there will be at most a $2 charge increase in the internet and TV every year. I also asked for installation fee and said because I'm a new customer, there is no installation fee. Is this a good deal for me? I currently have no HD on the boxes since Telus can't upgrade us past 10 MBPS download rate which means we can't see HD. And we are paying about the same with Telus as Shaw is offering us.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:16 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
I don't want to start another topic on this but I also hope I get a lot of replies and opinions.

We are currently with Telus TV and we are thinking of switching to Shaw because Shaw has an offer out for $99.90 3 year rate guarantee for your TV (Specialized Package of Channels including all sports channels in HD and 30+ HD channels), internet (50 MBPS DL Speed 400 GB Data Usage) and land line phone. Of course, we have to pay $15.75 monthly (or $567 for both boxes) for the Shaw Gateway HDPVR and Total Portal HD Terminal Box. I asked them about after the 3 year deal and asked if they will charge more after the 3 years and they told me there will be at most a $2 charge increase in the internet and TV every year. I also asked for installation fee and said because I'm a new customer, there is no installation fee. Is this a good deal for me? I currently have no HD on the boxes since Telus can't upgrade us past 10 MBPS download rate which means we can't see HD. And we are paying about the same with Telus as Shaw is offering us.
where did you get this offer? i see something similar on the shaw website but the TV is only basic stuff and you gotta add 10 bucks for each theme pack.

Old
08-26-2011, 01:42 PM
frag2

Quote:
where did you get this offer? i see something similar on the shaw website but the TV is only basic stuff and you gotta add 10 bucks for each theme pack.
I got similar offer in the mail but it words it like you have to option to personalize your themepacks.

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilborn View Post
Me personally I sit in front of my computer for hours on end bragging about phony accomplishments and spouting off nonsense in a hope that someone will value my opinion because I believe myself to be an expert on whatever topic I choose to debate on. But that's just me...
I could send you pictures of things I do for work with me holding my screen name next to it, but I'm not trying to brag or impress anyone here. I was just trying to offer some factual information from a technical standpoint about the weaknesses in the TELUS offering. I could take a picture of myself doing my job, holding a piece of paper with my screen name on it if you really don't believe me... but like, I have no interest in debating with a bunch of stupid sheeple who think they know everything and will argue against my points for which I have the blatant facts - I come in peace and to help, not to have my day ruined arguing with idiots.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Go tohttp://www.shaw.ca/gateway/offer/ to see the offer.

Old
08-26-2011, 07:48 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Go tohttp://www.shaw.ca/gateway/offer/ to see the offer.
this is fairly decent but depends on this:

since you called

It says you get HDPVR plus 2 portals. So are those free rentals or do you have to pay for those?

Old
08-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:

since you called

It says you get HDPVR plus 2 portals. So are those free rentals or do you have to pay for those?
I called them and asked that. It's $15.75 per month for 2 boxes (1 HDPVR Box and 1 HD Box) or $567 upfront for both boxes. If you bought both boxes without this deal it'd be $598 for the two. So you save $31 on it. Plus after 3 years, those boxes are yours. And no more paying the $15.75 a month. He told me you can cancel at any time for the $99.90 deal but the boxes you have to pay full price.

Old
08-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
I called them and asked that. It's $15.75 per month for 2 boxes (1 HDPVR Box and 1 HD Box) or $567 upfront for both boxes. If you bought both boxes without this deal it'd be $598 for the two. So you save $31 on it. Plus after 3 years, those boxes are yours. And no more paying the $15.75 a month. He told me you can cancel at any time for the $99.90 deal but the boxes you have to pay full price.
That's a lot to spend.

It might be advantageous to split your services if you can find a good used PVR for cheap. I know the ShawDirect equipment is dirt-cheap on kijiji. Maybe they let you bundle services with ShawCable.

Old
08-26-2011, 09:08 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
That's a lot to spend.

It might be advantageous to split your services if you can find a good used PVR for cheap. I know the ShawDirect equipment is dirt-cheap on kijiji. Maybe they let you bundle services with ShawCable.
Yea once they add that its no longer cheap.

Will stick with internet phone - Shaw and Telus for TV

Old
08-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Rafters

Quote:

since you called

The Gateway system with Shaw is only available in certain areas as of now...but it is a total home PVR basically....u can record 6 things at once if u want.it has a 500gb hardrive and expandable upto 5TB ..it is also 3d ready and will also soon run your wifi and phone thru the 1 gateway box that mounts by your electrical panel.....then there are portals which use a moca network to access the gateway......so any tv u have the portal on can access any of your recording from the gateway...I work with Shaw in Medicine hat and we are doing some staff trials here....but it has been available in the larger cities for a few months......if u have a shaw pvr, u can exchange it for a gateway and 1 portal....

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:28 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
The Gateway system with Shaw is only available in certain areas as of now...but it is a total home PVR basically....u can record 6 things at once if u want.it has a 500gb hardrive and expandable upto 5TB ..it is also 3d ready and will also soon run your wifi and phone thru the 1 gateway box that mounts by your electrical panel.....then there are portals which use a moca network to access the gateway......so any tv u have the portal on can access any of your recording from the gateway...I work with Shaw in Medicine hat and we are doing some staff trials here....but it has been available in the larger cities for a few months......if u have a shaw pvr, u can exchange it for a gateway and 1 portal....
that just sounds exactly like the set boxes for Telus and the PVR. Which they are all giving out for free for 3 years.

The Shaw deal looked good until they told you rent/buy your own equipment

Old
08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Rafters

Quote:
that just sounds exactly like the set boxes for Telus and the PVR. Which they are all giving out for free for 3 years.

The Shaw deal looked good until they told you rent/buy your own equipment
very similar to optiktv....only real difference is the optiktv is limited to 3 recordings at once and in some areas only 1 hd recording the Shaw Gateway does 6 at once and still playback 5 other recordings on your tv's.......but who really needs to record 6 shows at once...the Shaw gateway is also 3d ready and 1080p capable....

From the telus website

How many programs can I record simultaneously on my PVR?

You can record at least 3 shows simultaneously on your PVR. In some areas you may be able to record up to 4. The number of HD programs you can record at once depends on the service in the area you live. All Optik homes can record or watch at least 1 live TV program in HD and 2 in SD at the same time. Depending on the service availability at your home, you may be able to record or watch 2 live TV programs in HD and a third in standard definition. In many areas, households are able to watch or record up to 4 live TV programs and 3 of the programs can be in HD. Visit our qualification page to see what's available in your area.

Last edited by Rafters: 08-26-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:49 PM
frag2

Cool thing about TELUS TV, I can remind my TV to record say a hockey game via my smartphone if I forget to program it myself haha

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:04 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
very similar to optiktv....only real difference is the optiktv is limited to 3 recordings at once and in some areas only 1 hd recording the Shaw Gateway does 6 at once and still playback 5 other recordings on your tv's.......but who really needs to record 6 shows at once...the Shaw gateway is also 3d ready and 1080p capable....

From the telus website

How many programs can I record simultaneously on my PVR?

You can record at least 3 shows simultaneously on your PVR. In some areas you may be able to record up to 4. The number of HD programs you can record at once depends on the service in the area you live. All Optik homes can record or watch at least 1 live TV program in HD and 2 in SD at the same time. Depending on the service availability at your home, you may be able to record or watch 2 live TV programs in HD and a third in standard definition. In many areas, households are able to watch or record up to 4 live TV programs and 3 of the programs can be in HD. Visit our qualification page to see what's available in your area.
i wont ever in my life watch 3D TV. Its overrated and its horrible on your head.

The only problem with the OptikTV i guess is watching 2 HDs at the same time and it not working correctly (but i guess taht depends on where you live).