Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Janne Pesonen to tryout with Winnipeg

Old
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
gib

vCash: 500
Janne Pesonen to tryout with Winnipeg

Janne Pesonen will be attending Jets training camp according to finnish sports news site.

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
Janne Pesonen will be attending Jets training camp according to finnish sports news site.
I like this.

He was pretty highly touted a few seasons back when he went to Pittsburgh, had a great year in the AHL.

Can he crack the NHL? who knows, we'll see.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Finnpin

Pesonen:

"Winnipeg was interested about me and I'll go there to battle with goal to get one way deal"

"I like NA style and I believe I could have something to give there"

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...treenileirille

Time for the NANANANANANANAAAA

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
I remember going into the 2008-09 season, Pesonen was being touted as a dark-horse to take on a top 9 role with the Pens. It obviously didn't pan out, but it still seems like the guy can play. Solid KHL and AHL numbers, and had a good World Championship with Finland this year.

Very interested to see how this guy does in traning camp and the pre-season.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Solid option for a tryout, let's see what he can do.

(Thought i'd give it it's own thread).

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko...treenileirille

Quote:
The attacker Pesonen, 29, Winnipeg trip in early September, well before the start of training camp. Pesonen, the camp aims to one-way NHL contract.

Winnipeg direction had a clear interest in, and I am going to fight tooth and nail to one-way contract, Pesonen told STT.

I like the North American style of play. I believe that I still have to give there

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Qorvus

Interesting. His AHL numbers from a few years ago were really encouraging.

Qorvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:36 AM
TroubaFan1

Happy to hear this! We are really trying to improve on our 29th ranked prospect pool.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
Happy to hear this! We are really trying to improve on our 29th ranked prospect pool.
I would hardly call a 29-year old player a prospect.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:43 AM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
I would hardly call a 29-year old player a prospect.
Then talent pool if that works better for you.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:48 PM
PensFan6687

He's too soft and won't have as much room to make his plays like he does in Europe. If he couldn't crack the Pens lineup, which was in need of some good scoring depth and had high-end caliber players that could elevate his game, I doubt he makes the Jets. I do like him and wish him the best.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I doesn't hurt to give this guy a tryout.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I always love the idea of giving anyone a tryout.

But with Ladd and Kane his best bet for LW is on the 3rd and 4th line.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:12 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

FYI he didn't seem like an NHL player in his short stint with Pittsburgh.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
FYI he didn't seem like an NHL player in his short stint with Pittsburgh.
Happens all the time though. One team and only a sample size of what was it? 7 games? Is really too small to tell.

By all means he may not be a NHL player. But it happens all the time where someone doesn't "look" like an NHL player on one team and then explodes on another.

Edit: at the very least he has proven he can play the "NA style" of hockey with putting up very good numbers in the A.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:23 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Happens all the time though. One team and only a sample size of what was it? 7 games? Is really too small to tell.

By all means he may not be a NHL player. But it happens all the time where someone doesn't "look" like an NHL player on one team and then explodes on another.
I'm not sure that happens "all the time"..

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:25 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

IM BETTING HE MAKES THE JETS OUT OFTRAINING CAMP....... His last shot at NHL he will come in hungry...... P.S Im also betting $100 on black 17 when im in Vegas next week....

Reminds of a young fin Hannu Jarvenpaa Wpg Jets 1986-1989.... he once scored 4 goals in exhib game in his rookie season for the Jets....... also had 9 points in his firsts 20 games before knee injury finished (pun intended) his rookie season.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:28 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
More competition is never a bad thing.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
I'm not sure that happens "all the time"..
Okay maybe not "all the time".

But it does happen with regular frequency lets say. (in the 2-3 times per year range)

Old
08-11-2011, 01:33 PM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
He's too soft and won't have as much room to make his plays like he does in Europe. If he couldn't crack the Pens lineup, which was in need of some good scoring depth and had high-end caliber players that could elevate his game, I doubt he makes the Jets. I do like him and wish him the best.
I'm not too sure about him making the NHL either but I do remember that Pens never gave him a real change. He played with top end talent for maybe 2 or 3 shifts, mostly he played carbage minutes in the 4th line - which is the worst place to be for a offensive guy like Pesonen.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Sweech
COYS!

My only complaint would have to be that I wish he was a little more versatile, like being able to play Right and left wing.

Old
08-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
He's too afraid of contact and isn't a good enough skater to make up for it.

A lot of his failings in Pittsburgh can be blamed on Bylsma, who loves his grinders just a little too much and when Pesonen was given the rare chance to play in Pittsburgh he was doing it completely out of his element - on the fourth line with...well...fourth liners getting about 5 minutes of ice time a night. He may succeed...but I really see too many holes in his game for the NHL level. He needs space and time to get his shot off, and he's just not going to get that at this level.

Doesn't hurt to bring him into camp to see what he has, though. He has a NHL caliber shot, at the very least.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Helsingin Jokerit

Janne Pesonen, I think he is better in smaller rink, because he has putten up huge number in AHL and FEL (the most NA stylish league in Europe) but hasnt been so great on bigger ice such as in KHL or WC (dont get me wrong he was a good player in KHL and he scored some clutch goals last WC when finland won gold, but he played alongside Jarkko Immonen and Mikael Granlund). The problem here is that he is soft, softer than Winnie the Pooh, but I think that he could do well in the NHL if he would play with two big and though players who can create space for him.

Well that was just my 2cents, I aint no scout and I have never seen him play in the AHL, only during his time in FEL (and damn did I hate that guy during his time in Finland, he played against my team, Jokerit, in the FEL finals two times and almost alone destroyed us at both times) KHL and international games.

Helsingin Jokerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helsingin Jokerit View Post
Janne Pesonen, I think he is better in smaller rink, because he has putten up huge number in AHL and FEL (the most NA stylish league in Europe) but hasnt been so great on bigger ice such as in KHL or WC (dont get me wrong he was a good player in KHL and he scored some clutch goals last WC when finland won gold, but he played alongside Jarkko Immonen and Mikael Granlund). The problem here is that he is soft, softer than Winnie the Pooh, but I think that he could do well in the NHL if he would play with two big and though players who can create space for him.

Well that was just my 2cents, I aint no scout and I have never seen him play in the AHL, only during his time in FEL (and damn did I hate that guy during his time in Finland, he played against my team, Jokerit, in the FEL finals two times and almost alone destroyed us at both times) KHL and international games.
Thanks for your unique viewpoint.

I for one am encouraged when experienced players are excited to come to camp and challenge for a spot. Even if he doesn't make it, he will make TC more competitive, and that's good for all.

08-11-2011, 01:49 PM
thomast

Pesonen seemed to work hard, and play at dirty areas at WC. I think he is super motivated. I don't know will he make it. If he desen't i doubt he tries NHL ever again.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Helsingin Jokerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Pesonen seemed to work hard, and play at dirty areas at WC. I think he is super motivated. I don't know will he make it. If he desen't i doubt he tries NHL ever again.
Yea Pesonen wasnt afraid to get hurt and I think that with his WC attitude he could be able to get a spot in the 3rd line and he could also play in the 2nd PP unit.

Helsingin Jokerit is offline   Reply With Quote