HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Situation on defense?

Old
08-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Ubercron9000

vCash: 500
Situation on defense?

Who will be the odd man out? If emelin impresses and makes the team will spacek or weber be the odd man out? I really want to see weber play on the 2nd pp. But if diaz and emelin impress and show they can make the team will weber be the odd man out and be sent back to hamilton?

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:09 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Weber will be traded before being sent down to Hamilton, that's for sure.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:23 PM
neofury*

He's an actor from Jersey Shore, and yet you expect him to play hockey???

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

LJV is here to stay.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Nobody will be the odd man out... they only have 7 players so far. An 8th is needed. For the roster. For the opening night lineup, well, I expect Emelin will have to do an awful lot of impressing Martin in the pre-season to get ahead of Spacek. It doesn't seem like the Habs are very well prepared (yet) for the possibility that Emelin simply isn't able to cut it in the NHL.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 02:58 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Or be pushed into the 12-13th forward position...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Nobody will be the odd man out... they only have 7 players so far. An 8th is needed. For the roster. For the opening night lineup, well, I expect Emelin will have to do an awful lot of impressing Martin in the pre-season to get ahead of Spacek. It doesn't seem like the Habs are very well prepared (yet) for the possibility that Emelin simply isn't able to cut it in the NHL.
I had the same thought, but let my ego aside, and concluded that they must know something we don't...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
LJV is here to stay.
I like him. I think we need to keep playing him and he'll be a more than serviceable 5th-6th defenceman with a hell of a shot on the PP.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
LJV is here to stay.
Spacegoat? He's slowing down...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:54 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Or be pushed into the 12-13th forward position...
He already politely expressed that he doesn't wanna do it unless an injury happens mid-game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Spacegoat? He's slowing down...
Le Jeune Vebeeeeeerrrrre. Get with the times

Odd man out... I'd hope it's Spacek after this season is over. I want Scott Hannan instead of Spacegoat but until then Spacek is good depth / #7.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:55 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
He already politely expressed that he doesn't wanna do it unless an injury happens mid-game.

Le Jeune Vebeeeeeerrrrre. Get with the times
Yeah I hope they quit jerking him around with the forward/defence.

I'd rather they trade him so he has an actual shot at developing as a d-man in this league.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I'd rather they trade him so he has an actual shot at developing as a d-man in this league.
Then, what teams would want Vébère? Also, I've got the feeling that LJV could be traded at the trade deadline (or Diaz) packaged with another player for offensive help.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:01 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Then, what teams would want Vébère? Also, I've got the feeling that LJV could be traded at the trade deadline (or Diaz) packaged with another player for offensive help.
I don't know who LJV is...

I'm sure there are lots of teams who would have serious interest in a guy like Weber. He's young, cheap and has some serious offensive potential.

Old
08-11-2011, 04:05 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I had the same thought, but let my ego aside, and concluded that they must know something we don't...
I have to say though that's either a really good sign of Emelin or a really bad sign about our management.

I prefer to hold onto hope that it's the former

THN (ugh) said Emelin and Diaz would have 19 and 17 points in the NHL. I'm thinking they might be high on Diaz too if they haven't signed another D.

Even with 5 mil left they could've given Hammer 2-2.5 mil x 2 year and had space left. By deadline a 6 million dollar contract is like 2.

They must be pretty high on these two guys. Didn't Pierre McGuire (lol) say he thinks Emelin can be a top 4 D for us this year? He seemed confident didn't he? Don't get me wrong I think Pierre is a ****** but he said something nice about the habs for once or at least one of our newly acquired assets.

5 million at deadline means we could potentially take on any salary in the league for 1 season. It's going to be an interesting year. I hope Calgary bombs goes into rebuild mode and we get Iginla on a silver platter. Of course it's a pipe dream.

Also Emelin signing for cheap to me is a sign that he's extremely confident in his abilities and feels he can help contribute to the success of this team. If he does that next year he'll be signed as a true young replacement for Hammer. Can you imagine how smart it will make not re-signing Hammer look when we have Emelin playing well and now have he cap room to acquire a true star? Every year there is the chance and to me Cole is still a wildcard move that could potentially pay off in spades. He hasn't played here so he isn't proven in peoples eyes... but it also remains to be seen what Cammy-Plek-Cole could do together

I haven't been this excited for a season in a really long time and the defense doesn't worry me:

Markov, Gorges, Subban, Gill, Emelin, Weber, Diaz, then there's Spacek who has shown at times he can be useful.

My guess: after camp maybe Diaz gets brought up.

Last edited by neofury*: 08-11-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old
08-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I have to say though that's either a really good sign of Emelin or a really bad sign about our management.

THN (ugh) said Emelin and Diaz would have 19 and 17 points in the NHL. I'm thinking they might be high on Diaz too if they haven't signed another D.

Even with 5 mil left they could've given Hammer 2-2.5 mil x 2 year and had space left. By deadline a 6 million dollar contract is like 2.

They must be pretty high on these two guys. Didn't Pierre McGuire (lol) say he thinks Emelin can be a top 4 D for us this year? He seemed confident didn't he? Don't get me wrong I think Pierre is a ****** but he said something nice about the habs for once or at least one of our newly acquired assets.

5 million at deadline means we could potentially take on any salary in the league for 1 season. It's going to be an interesting year. I hope Calgary bombs goes into rebuild mode and we get Iginla on a silver platter. Of course it's a pipe dream.

In this case I think its a matter of McGuire repeating what other people have said. A lot of guys that track the KHL say Yemelin is good enough to be a top 4 defenseman right now. With that in mind, penciling him in as a bottom pairing guy to start doesn't seem outlandish.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:16 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
In this case I think its a matter of McGuire repeating what other people have said. A lot of guys that track the KHL say Yemelin is good enough to be a top 4 defenseman right now. With that in mind, penciling him in as a bottom pairing guy to start doesn't seem outlandish.
I can't wait for this season dude so many questions will be answered. I have a really good feeling about this year. Some things won't go our way we all know that but I have a feeling by the end of it all we're going to see one hell of a team in front of our eyes. I'm sure the people upstairs saw something in these two guys. It wouldn't make sense that we haven't signed a depth D if they didn't. With Diaz I was shocked to hear that some people said he was already better than Weber I think Weber has developed just fine.

With Emelin if he pans out he sounds like just the kind of player we could use.

Old
08-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Does he need to go through waivers ?

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:31 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

Also Emelin signing for cheap to me is a sign that he's extremely confident in his abilities and feels he can help contribute to the success of this team. If he does that next year he'll be signed as a true young replacement for Hammer. Can you imagine how smart it will make not re-signing Hammer look when we have Emelin playing well and now have he cap room to acquire a true star? Every year there is the chance and to me Cole is still a wildcard move that could potentially pay off in spades. He hasn't played here so he isn't proven in peoples eyes... but it also remains to be seen what Cammy-Plek-Cole could do together

I haven't been this excited for a season in a really long time and the defense doesn't worry me:

Markov, Gorges, Subban, Gill, Emelin, Weber, Diaz, then there's Spacek who has shown at times he can be useful.

My guess: after camp maybe Diaz gets brought up.
All that cap space the habs have scares me, I am worried they're going to give up some serious assets for a rental or older player on the wrong side of his career. Not worried enough to care at all about them not bringing back Hamrlik, can't believe the backlash over that.

Old
08-11-2011, 04:36 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reem View Post
Does he need to go through waivers ?
Yes Weber would need to go through waivers to play in the AHL

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:48 PM
neofury*

Quote:
All that cap space the habs have scares me, I am worried they're going to give up some serious assets for a rental or older player on the wrong side of his career. Not worried enough to care at all about them not bringing back Hamrlik, can't believe the backlash over that.
Yeah but if it's somebody like Iginla I won't care even if he busts. I'll be happy they went all out and tried to shoot for the moon.

If it's some scrub I'll be major pissed.

Old
08-11-2011, 04:49 PM
JohnLennon

Some of you are nuts for even thinking Spacek will be the odd-man out behind players like Emelin, Weber or Diaz. Spacek is easily the best NHL defenseman right now out of the four of them, and is a solid depth player on any blueline.

My guess is that either Emelin or Weber are with Spacek on the third defensive pairing, (the other as a 7th D) and Diaz starts the season in Hamilton. Something like this:

Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Spacek-Weber

Emelin

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:52 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Yeah but if it's somebody like Iginla I won't care even if he busts. I'll be happy they went all out and tried to shoot for the moon.

If it's some scrub I'll be major pissed.
Seriously? I'd be furious if they went after Iginla and he was a bust. Their "window" isn't now, or close to closing or anything. Their 2 best and most important players are very young, there's no need to go for it with a guy like Iginla. At all.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:43 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

If they all stay reasonably healthy I think they'll be fine and Spacek will be given an opportunity at an important role to start. But if he shows signs of his play from last year then I'll be nervous. And if injuries hit early I'll be nervous.

At the beginning I'm guessing the odd man out will be Diaz. Or else Yemelin will shatter everyone's dreams and be the odd man out. Or Markov will be injured from an Yemelin hit in training camp and be out.

All I know is I'd feel more comfortable if Gauthier signed at least a depth d-man of some sort.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 05:45 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Seriously? I'd be furious if they went after Iginla and he was a bust. Their "window" isn't now, or close to closing or anything. Their 2 best and most important players are very young, there's no need to go for it with a guy like Iginla. At all.
Not saying I'd give up Subban but if we had to trade a nice package to get Iginla for a cup run, I'd be happy we did it. I'd be furious with Iginla if he busted but not with management. It would likely be a pretty high % trade idea. Cammy and Iginla have played well together.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
He's an actor from Jersey Shore, and yet you expect him to play hockey???
There's no acting in Jersey Shore, also Josh Gorges can be our 3rd Dman.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote