HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Situation on defense?

Old
08-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Matteus

vCash: 500
With the current roster 4 spots are already set on D (I'd be disappointed if JM made Spacek a regular going in at the expense of the kids).
Without factoring in injuries, that still leaves 164 man-games to split between Spacek, Weber and Emelin. Enough of an opportunity for everyone who's up to it.
My best case scenario: Emelin and Webber play well enough to make Spacek the odd-man out within a couple of months.

Matteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Gally11

It's unfortunate for Weber really though.. Because the things he does really well we have no need for at the moment and it's kind of working against us because we can't showcase him and he definitely has the talent to be a defenseman in this league.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:29 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
People put too much stock in where in the line up someone is placed. I really believe Gorges would be a good partner for Markov, I'm not going to presume the team won't do anything next year because they have Gorges in their top pairing. The habs have the potential for 3 very solid pairings (4 actually) and I'm quite content with that.
Exactly. What # defenseman you are is simply a label. A #1 D who makes those around him better can play as a perfect top pairing with a #4 or even #5 d given they have good chemistry.

I really think we may see Markov-Gorges and a re-visting of Gill-Subban, maybe Gill-Gorges at some point too. Really depends on how guys like Emelin, Weber and maybe even Diaz play.

A lot of people don't like the situation on D and I can't say I blame them but the fact that they haven't signed anyone else at least leads me to believe the org has a certain amount of faith in those three players. When you look at it from a perspective of all three or two out of three of those players panning out and reaching their potential, it would not make sense to not play them over a vet like Spacek if they take the spot.

Pretending all three of them make it and maybe Weber turns up the juice this year just for fun down the road as early as even this year it could turn out being:

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gorges
Gill-Weber
Diaz, Spacek(dealt?)

Not counting injuries so very well could be 8 fairly good pairings. Plus we actually have many different pairings to work with if that's the case. It really boils down to who is ready between Diaz and Emelin because personally I think Weber is going to be solid.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 02:40 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
So Hannan signs in Calgary for 1 million..

For 1.6 million dollars we could've had Konopka and Hannan. Filling two desperate holes in the line-up with players who fill specific needs.

Kind of stupid.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

For 1.6 million dollars we could've had Konopka and Hannan. Filling two desperate holes in the line-up with players who fill specific needs.

Kind of stupid.
hannan waits this long to sign minimal deal with minimal term? I think there's more to this deal than meets the eye and considering the way hannan has played over the last few years, I'd think that he has some lingering physical issues going on.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 04:27 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:

Kind of stupid.
Yup. I don't understand not signing these guys earlier. Maybe Hannan was holding out for more money, but we could have around 3.5 cap space and two critical players. The only thing I would guess is that the organization believes some of our Dogs are ready to make the jump and want to leave room for that.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Kind of stupid.
Yeah, it was either that or the end of the world, right

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 05:55 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Put faith in first year players. Bank on the long-term health of the team or once again waste assets to replace holes that could've been filled during the off-season.

I will love spending another 2nd + to replace an injured defenceman this year.

Old
08-13-2011, 06:00 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The obsession habs fans have with Konopka amazes me on so many levels.

I wouldn't want Hannan at league minimum. There's obviously a reason he was only able to get a 1 year 1 million dollar deal...and he didn't even sign with a team that has a hope in hell of winning the cup either.

I love teh way the habs defence is looking, and I look forward to seeing how it all turns out.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:

Kind of stupid.
Maybe because Hannan is washed up and Konopka is just a below-average fourth liner. I wouldn't want them at the league minimum. Would rather spend a bit more to get better players, or give younger players with bigger upside the chance to own some of the open spots. Its not like we can't sign/trade for players once the season starts.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 12:39 AM
bsl

Quote:
Put faith in first year players. Bank on the long-term health of the team or once again waste assets to replace holes that could've been filled during the off-season.

I'd love to be positive but I'm with you on this. I will be pissed if we lose one or 2 D and have to spend another second pick to fill the spot.

This is not the year to depend on a healthy D. Next year is after Marky and Gorges both prove they can play 70 games +.

This year we should have got some insurance.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Listen, I'm all for upgrading our D, whether it'd be depth or actual upgrade, I've been singing that song since last May, and said so when Hamr turned his back.

But missing out on Hannan is nothing to upset the grand scale of things. Neither does Konopka.

I'd have more faith in Emeling at this point, than Hannan.

A lot of players would've been worthwhile to sign, but Hannan, IMO is not one of them. If Hannan was actually a UFA target for the Habs, might as well have signed Mara as he's used to our squad and can add the same depth as Hannan, or even better, for close to the same price.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Top Corner2

Guys.....don't forget.....there will be injuries.

there always is. The fact that we have a bunch of good young prospects means that the vets will be able to take a few games off when they need to heal up instead of playing through the injuries.

Weber is going to play. Yemelin is going to play. Diaz and Nash will probably get some games in also. Maybe Mitera also.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:32 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I'd love to be positive but I'm with you on this. I will be pissed if we lose one or 2 D and have to spend another second pick to fill the spot.

This is not the year to depend on a healthy D. Next year is after Marky and Gorges both prove they can play 70 games +.

This year we should have got some insurance.
The habs have insurance

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Gill
Spacek
Weber
Emelin
Nash
Mitera
Diaz

Do you really think that if Markov goes down for a stretch if the habs had Hannan they'd be better off? Come on...

Old
08-14-2011, 03:57 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
The habs have insurance

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Gill
Spacek
Weber
Emelin
Nash
Mitera
Diaz

Do you really think that if Markov goes down for a stretch if the habs had Hannan they'd be better off? Come on...
Yes. Because Hannan can play 20 minutes a night and be solid. Can we expect the same from Weber, Nash, Mitera, Emelin or Diaz?

I am a Weber fan. I like Nash's potential. Don't know Diaz well. And a HUGE Emelin fan. Fact is, two of those have to acclimate. One is new to the organization and we have no idea what we are going to get. Another has played 3 NHL games and has a lot to work on. The other will bring you offence but his defensive game is still questionable going into this year.

Old
08-14-2011, 04:05 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Yes. Because Hannan can play 20 minutes a night and be solid. Can we expect the same from Weber, Nash, Mitera, Emelin or Diaz?

I am a Weber fan. I like Nash's potential. Don't know Diaz well. And a HUGE Emelin fan. Fact is, two of those have to acclimate. One is new to the organization and we have no idea what we are going to get. Another has played 3 NHL games and has a lot to work on. The other will bring you offence but his defensive game is still questionable going into this year.
Meh, the fact that he signed for 1 million and with Calgary says all you need to know about what the rest of the league thinks about Hannan.

Old
08-14-2011, 04:05 PM
neofury*

Quote:

I do believe Weber can I'm 100% confident about him.

Emelin I'm 80% confident but it might take 5-10 games of "those moments" (Just based on management clearly being confident in him and bringing him here)
Diaz I'm pretty confident he could after half a season in the AHL but time will tell.

Nash didn't look half bad when he was up. You can do a lot worse than Nash. Also Hannan is very overrated. Also heard he waited so long because he wanted out west.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Subnordi

I see

Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Spacek-Yemelin

I'm excited about our D-core this season if they can stay healthy.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 06:26 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
I see

Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Spacek-Yemelin

I'm excited about our D-core this season if they can stay healthy.
I want Weber in the line up, to play 2nd PP unit.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:18 AM
bsl

Quote:
The habs have insurance

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Gill
Spacek
Weber
Emelin
Nash
Mitera
Diaz

1. Players who've played no, or less than 40 NHL games at D are not insurance. They are prospects.

2. I was not saying Hannan was our insurance. I admit I don't have a candidate, but PG is the professional, he should have found one.

We'll all chat again when we lose a D in January, and we lose another 2nd round pick to replace him with an NHL ready D, not Diaz for god's sake.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:28 AM
WestIslander

John Erskine anyone?

- 6'4'' and over 215 pounds
- Born and raised less than three hours away from Montreal
- Only 31 years old
- Playoff experience on some really good NHL team
- A +16 player in 2009-2010

So on defense:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Erskine - Emelin
Spacek
Weber

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:12 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Instead of a Wiz the Habs now have a Wit.

The Habs continue to corner the market on number 5th through 8th d-men. Another already proven, legitimate top 4 d-man would have been nice.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
1. Players who've played no, or less than 40 NHL games at D are not insurance. They are prospects.

2. I was not saying Hannan was our insurance. I admit I don't have a candidate, but PG is the professional, he should have found one.

We'll all chat again when we lose a D in January, and we lose another 2nd round pick to replace him with an NHL ready D, not Diaz for god's sake.

1) Says you. The key to success in this league is having young guys step it up and poalying above their salaries. I prefer seeing youth get a chance to play over an "established" (read over the hill and overpaid) veteran

2) You sure seemed to imply that the habs should have signed Hannan in case of a Markov injury, and I don't know if you noticed this or not but the free agent market was (and will from here on out) be quite bare and most guys got quite overpaid. So your comments about needing a d-man in January don't really make any sense anyways becuase outside of overpaying for a d-man through free agency they would have had to give up assets to trade for one anyways.

Who knows, maybe Emelin can come in and provide 15+ minutes of solid defence almost right away. The only thing bringing in some hack like Hannan would have accomplished is wasting cap space and not letting a youngster get a chance to play.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:28 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Instead of a Wiz the Habs now have a Wit.

The Habs continue to corner the market on number 5th through 8th d-men. Another already proven, legitimate top 4 d-man would have been nice.
Proven, legitimate top 4 d-men are a pretty important commodity in the league. You can't just go out and get one like that. Wizniewski got overpaid (as UFA's tend to do), Markov got re-signed, Ehrhoff signed a ridiculous long deal, and Kaberle I wouldn't have really wanted anyways. WHo else was there?

But yes, lets all cry because if the habs look like a contender come midseason Gauthier has the assets and cap space to acquire a d-man if they think that's the right path to take.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:39 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
John Erskine anyone?

- 6'4'' and over 215 pounds
- Born and raised less than three hours away from Montreal
- Only 31 years old
- Playoff experience on some really good NHL team