HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc-Andre Gragnani signs 1 year deal ($550k/55k 2-way)

Old
08-11-2011, 03:21 PM
HogtownSabresfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He can play as a forward or defenseman, so he's pretty versatile and I'm sure he'll get plenty of games.

You can basically give him 30 right off the bat since Kaleta is only capable of 50.

Yeah, except it's 58 games.
Sorry I was in the process of editing that

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:23 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by screecwe View Post
And its set! I'm kind of curious now as to the packages Regier is going to be offering around the league. Saw some interesting ones posted by Garth that sound pretty good.

"Two teams that I've heard rumoured to be interested in the Slovakian Dman are NY Islanders and Columbus Blue Jax.

I've been told that Buffalo are interested in a second rounder for Sekera, or, a veteran centreman."
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH...RICHES/6/37537

Would be nice to unload Sekera and maybe a low pick for a veteran center.
I really wish people would stop posting anything from hockeybuzz in here. It's not credible. Even the stuff Garth makes up, makes zero sense.

Old
08-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Good for MAG.

And how a softball coach who lives on Grand Island is supposed to be an "insider" with the team when his tenuous connections to them involve hanging around with Jay McKee a few years ago still boggles the mind.

08-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
He can play as a forward or defenseman, so he's pretty versatile and I'm sure he'll get plenty of games.

You can basically give him 30 right off the bat since Kaleta is only capable of 50.
Still not a full season here.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:47 PM
SB164

Habs fan here, but also a big fan of Gragnani after his play last season in the playoffs. Should be interesting to see how this young Montrealer will perform this upcoming season.

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:48 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Still not a full season here.
Sure it is.

As of right now, he looks like he'll be on the roster all year because of his waiver status, versatility, and recent play.
He should get a decent amount of games (which will, in all likelihood, be more than the amount of games he's played over the course of the last four seasons combined), as every club experiences plenty of injures over the course of the season.
Even when he's not in the line-up, he'll be practicing and working out with NHL players and being paid an NHL salary.

If he doesn't dress for the full 82 games, that doesn't change the fact that he will likely not see the AHL this season, meaning that he will be in the NHL for the whole season.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
Yep. If he's the #13 forward and #7 d-man 58 shouldn't be too hard to reach.
Gotta figure he'll get in at least 20 playoffs games too.

I think the Sabres messed up with this contract. They should have only been offering a 2 year deal after Gragnani's qualifying offer expired on July 15th.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post

I think the Sabres messed up with this contract. They should have only been offering a 2 year deal after Gragnani's qualifying offer expired on July 15th.
Worst case, he plays out of his mind and we can trade someone.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:08 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Right. Forgot about those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
If you ask me that's the best case scenario.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
And its set! I'm kind of curious now as to the packages Regier is going to be offering around the league. Saw some interesting ones posted by Garth that sound pretty good.

"Two teams that I've heard rumoured to be interested in the Slovakian Dman are NY Islanders and Columbus Blue Jax.

I've been told that Buffalo are interested in a second rounder for Sekera, or, a veteran centreman."
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH...RICHES/6/37537

What?! Christ no! Not only do I not want him traded but not for a measly 2nd rounder. Puck moving blue liners are at a premium right now, 1st rounder okay...

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 04:14 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I really wish people would stop posting anything from hockeybuzz in here. It's not credible. Even the stuff Garth makes up, makes zero sense.
agree...they're garbage....

Hmmm...One year deal does seem a little odd....

So if he plays in the playoffs those games can be added with the regular games so he can get those 58 games played ?

I'd hate to lose him to UFA next year....Wonder if Darcy has something up his sleave in terms of moving a d-man (Leopold or Rej).....

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Sekera isn't being traded.
Exactly - the Sabres top 6 (Regehr, Myers, Ehrhoff, Leopold, Weber, Sekera) is the strongest from top to bottom since the 2005-06 season. Substituting Gragnani for Sekera represents a drop-off IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCryceratops View Post
Hmm. Only one year, huh? I kind of thought that they would try and push for a longer term, maybe three years.
Maybe they did but, given their cap situation and plans for the rest of the roster, decided to force the salary more than the term. My guess is that they got MAG to accept his QO in exchange for the 1 year term - which I'm OK with because, right now, he's the 7th best defenseman on the roster.

Quote:
The guy that thinks Gragnani would get $1.5m-$1.8m. And that was after the Weber and Sekera re-signings.
Quote:
They are just following their usual protocol at HockeyBuzz: everything must be wrong.
Quote:
All true.......

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
Quote:
If you ask me that's the best case scenario.
Best case for the player, worst case for the team, is Gragnani having a great season and thus raising his price dramatically next year when his contract expires.

Worst case for the player, best case for the team, is Sekera blossoms finally with a solid, consistent season, while Myers, Ehrhoff and Leopold all provide tons of offense and PP contributions, making Gragnani expendable and useless.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
One year deal does seem a little odd.
Not if it turns out that the Sabres got him to accept his qualifying offer and 10% raise. They'd benefit from the lowest salary while Gragnani would benefit from being free next summer to work out a new deal.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:15 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
agree...they're garbage....

Hmmm...One year deal does seem a little odd....

So if he plays in the playoffs those games can be added with the regular games so he can get those 58 games played ?

I'd hate to lose him to UFA next year....Wonder if Darcy has something up his sleave in terms of moving a d-man (Leopold or Rej).....
Sekera is not moving. He just signed. I know San Jose did this to a player but it's bad management unless Sekera wants it out. I get the feeling, now that he has money, Darcy is of the belief you cannot have too many d-man.
He's stocked up pretty heavily. You wonder whether past haunts him.
He lost the Stanley Cup in 2005-2006 (we would have won otherwise, I believe) because of lack of d-man. One could argue we ran out of gas against Flyers too because of our banged up back end.

Old
08-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Darcy is of the belief you cannot have too many d-man.
He lost the Stanley Cup in 2005-2006 (we would have won otherwise, I believe) because of lack of d-man. One could argue we ran out of gas against Flyers too because of our banged up back end.
I'd be curious if Morrisonn was in any way brought up in the negotiations as leverage by the Sabres - "if you don't accept our terms, fine, we have other guys we can play in the your spot..."

Of course, Gragnani could have also countered, "Go ahead and see what keeping him does to your cap space."

Old
08-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Sekera is not moving. He just signed. I know San Jose did this to a player but it's bad management unless Sekera wants it out. I get the feeling, now that he has money, Darcy is of the belief you cannot have too many d-man.
What would be so shocking about Sekera being used in a deal for some center? We already have a logjam in the minors for D. It makes sense to get rid of a solid player when you have many more players above him who are better, and players below who have promise.

Insomniac99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:20 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd say our loss to the Flyers was because of our banged up forward corps rather than our back end. Anyways, I'm very interested to see what Darcy is going to do, it seems like a trade is imminent.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:31 PM
OpethianSabre20

Per Bill Hoppe: Grags's deal is two-way.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:33 PM
ohheyimmark

It's a two way deal. That's very, very surprising to me.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Not surprised. A one way deal doesn't make sense for the Sabres without it.

Old
08-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think the Sabres messed up with this contract.
Unfortunately, this occasionally happens. My guess is that he didn't want anything more than a 1 year deal.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
that

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 07:20 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
What would be so shocking about Sekera being used in a deal for some center? We already have a logjam in the minors for D. It makes sense to get rid of a solid player when you have many more players above him who are better, and players below who have promise.
Because they JUST signed him to a new deal. If they wanted to move him, they wouldn't have spend time negotiating with him. They would have just moved him and been done with it.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Because they JUST signed him to a new deal. If they wanted to move him, they wouldn't have spend time negotiating with him. They would have just moved him and been done with it.
That doesn't necessarily mean they won't move him, just that they weren't actively looking to move him or they didn't have anyone interested. That could always change. If a team becomes interested and offers something decent, he could be moved.

That said, I don't think the Sabres will actively put him out there.