HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc-Andre Gragnani signs 1 year deal ($550k/55k 2-way)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-11-2011, 08:26 PM
  #51
Insomniac99
Registered User
 
Insomniac99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Because they JUST signed him to a new deal. If they wanted to move him, they wouldn't have spend time negotiating with him. They would have just moved him and been done with it.
MacAurthur went all the way through arbitration, but was traded halfway through the season. Getting a manageable contract puts a set value on the player and helps in trades.

Insomniac99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:18 PM
  #52
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Good to see this last piece of the puzzle complete.

In terms of building hope for the regular season, this offseason has been 5 stars out of 5.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:19 PM
  #53
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean they won't move him, just that they weren't actively looking to move him or they didn't have anyone interested. That could always change. If a team becomes interested and offers something decent, he could be moved.

That said, I don't think the Sabres will actively put him out there.
Anything can happen. He doesn't have a NTC but to move him now would reflect pretty badly on the organization. People in here are worried how it looks demoting Morrisonn after he really stunk the joint out. Signing a guy to four years and them moving him right away is a lot uglier. I'd be curious to see how San Jose does on resigning players after that little move. Burns did lock up though without a NTC. So maybe you're right.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:24 PM
  #54
ct2111
Registered User
 
ct2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by screecwe View Post
MacAurthur went all the way through arbitration, but was traded halfway through the season. Getting a manageable contract puts a set value on the player and helps in trades.
I don't get your point. MacArthur wasn't playing well and didn't fit him. They didn't trade him right after arbitration (which itself is different than investing into a guy for the next 4 years). If Sekera sucks next season no doubt he could be traded, but right now, right after they locked him up long term? It wouldn't really reflect well on the organization imo. Regier just doesn't seem like the kind of GM who would do that.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:26 PM
  #55
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I'd say our loss to the Flyers was because of our banged up forward corps rather than our back end. Anyways, I'm very interested to see what Darcy is going to do, it seems like a trade is imminent.
I said one could argue. I think's easier to compete as long as you D is healthy because you still keep it close. In 2005-06, I don't think there's much room to argue even one more healthy NHL-level d-man and we win. I still say if McKee doesn't go down we beat Carolina. Campbell isn't playing same minutes, puck doesn't go over boards. Oh, the pain, make it stop. That season hurts way more than No Goal.


Last edited by HogtownSabresfan: 08-11-2011 at 09:46 PM.
HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:40 PM
  #56
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,576
vCash: 500
Obviously love this. We know damn well that injuries on the blueline are inevitable - this adds to the depth. I like it

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:36 PM
  #57
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Obviously love this. We know damn well that injuries on the blueline are inevitable - this adds to the depth. I like it
It's smart move but I don't understand why so many think this guy needs to be locked up. He's played 22 NHL games and a good series against Philly. I wish I could understand how this guy has earned so much love from some people in here. I'm lost on this. Up until playoffs, I would have thought this guy would have not made the team and been claimed off waivers.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:43 PM
  #58
omglolnub
Registered User
 
omglolnub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It's smart move but I don't understand why so many think this guy needs to be locked up. He's played 22 NHL games and a good series against Philly. I wish I could understand how this guy has earned so much love from some people in here. I'm lost on this. Up until playoffs, I would have thought this guy would have not made the team and been claimed off waivers.
It's because he's suddenly seen as a future PMD due to an impressive playoff series against the Flyers, which are held in high regards on the boards here. Despite the UFA frenzy this summer, fans clamor for more PMD's because the last real one the team had until now was Brian Campbell.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:47 PM
  #59
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It's smart move but I don't understand why so many think this guy needs to be locked up. He's played 22 NHL games and a good series against Philly. I wish I could understand how this guy has earned so much love from some people in here. I'm lost on this. Up until playoffs, I would have thought this guy would have not made the team and been claimed off waivers.
It's the "what have you done for me lately?" mentality. He had a point per game series against Philly, and that's what people have at the top of their minds when they think about him. It's because of that people are worried he'll develop into that kind of player full time and this contract will make him walk for a big pay day after it happens.

For the record, I'm with you. I like having him as a #7, but I'm not at all concerned about him not having any kind of long-term deal.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:06 AM
  #60
kirby11
Registered User
 
kirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It's the "what have you done for me lately?" mentality. He had a point per game series against Philly, and that's what people have at the top of their minds when they think about him. It's because of that people are worried he'll develop into that kind of player full time and this contract will make him walk for a big pay day after it happens.

For the record, I'm with you. I like having him as a #7, but I'm not at all concerned about him not having any kind of long-term deal.
and the fact that our other option as a 7th dman is morrisonn.
so now that this is complete...this is amazing.
10-11 d: Myers-Morrisonn
Leopold-Montador
Sekera-Rivet
x Weber/Butler

11-12 d: Myers-Regehr
Ehrhoff-Leopold
Sekera-Weber
x MAG

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:51 AM
  #61
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It's smart move but I don't understand why so many think this guy needs to be locked up. He's played 22 NHL games and a good series against Philly. I wish I could understand how this guy has earned so much love from some people in here. I'm lost on this. Up until playoffs, I would have thought this guy would have not made the team and been claimed off waivers.
Depth is all. In his one opportunity so far, he has shown he is capable of being an NHLer. I also think the longer he were signed for, the cheaper the term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It's the "what have you done for me lately?" mentality. He had a point per game series against Philly, and that's what people have at the top of their minds when they think about him. It's because of that people are worried he'll develop into that kind of player full time and this contract will make him walk for a big pay day after it happens.

For the record, I'm with you. I like having him as a #7, but I'm not at all concerned about him not having any kind of long-term deal.
It's the realization that he brings an element we don't have, and that he has had ample time to season his game. As mentioned, he proved able in the opportunity he was given. I'm anxious to see him over a full season.

Additionally, not many guys can skate as well as he does, and carry themselves as fluidly as he does. You look around the league, and you don't see that many smooth skating defenseman. Even if he's one dimensional (worst case scenario) he can still bring positives to the team in the form of special teams.

I'm aware of his need to prove himself over a full season. I'm also aware that he'll get every chance to do so when the inevitable injury bug strikes. And yeah, I'm comfortable saying I'd rather have him locked up and in the fold than just about every 7th dman we've had post-lockout.

Lastly, regarding the bolded - I'm not concerned about not having him locked up long term, either. But that's because I don't see him going anywhere. I see him getting a better deal when this season ends and we have a better idea as to what we're looking at personnel wise.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:10 AM
  #62
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,898
vCash: 500
We have so many solid D-prospects coming up that I actually wouldn't want a multi-year deal for Gragnani. In the end, he is just a spare part--not a guy you lock up. Between Brennan, Schiestel, McNabb, and Pysyk, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Gragnani won't the the 7th best D-man next year in the organization. Give him a year to prove himself, while keeping options available to bring someone else up if they earn it next year.

There is no reason to commit to him longer than necessary, he isn't a key piece moving forward.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:30 AM
  #63
Ruff for President
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
I like this kid.

He's paid his dues.

Good luck this year Grags!!!

Ruff for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:26 AM
  #64
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
It's smart move but I don't understand why so many think this guy needs to be locked up. He's played 22 NHL games and a good series against Philly. I wish I could understand how this guy has earned so much love from some people in here. I'm lost on this. Up until playoffs, I would have thought this guy would have not made the team and been claimed off waivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It's the "what have you done for me lately?" mentality. He had a point per game series against Philly, and that's what people have at the top of their minds when they think about him.
Absolutely - and it's also why many are willing to forfeit Boyes for any return: because his flop in the final weeks leading up to, and including, the playoff series is fresher in people's memories than his strong play immediately after the trade to Buffalo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
For the record, I'm with you. I like having him as a #7, but I'm not at all concerned about him not having any kind of long-term deal.
Add me to the list who see it that way as well. All that Gragnani has demonstrated so far is that he's a star AHL defenseman, who showed glimpses - and 22 games of NHL experience is just that - of being a possible NHL defenseman. When he was called up, he didn't exactly set the world on fire offensively nor transform the power play into a juggernaut. Many seem ready to grant his permanent ticket to the NHL based on fewer games than either Sekera or Weber had played in the NHL prior to last season, yet those two were (and in some posted views, still are) questionmarks of being NHL-calibre defensemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
It's because he's suddenly seen as a future PMD due to an impressive playoff series against the Flyers, which are held in high regards on the boards here. Despite the UFA frenzy this summer, fans clamor for more PMD's because the last real one the team had until now was Brian Campbell.
I've noted in the past how similar I find Gragnani to Campbell: both offensive minded, fluid skaters with strong junior careers but mediocre defensively and often intimidated into turnovers when pressured physically by a hard forecheck. For all of the offensive contributions that Campbell had, they came more from joining the rush than anything he did on the Sabres' power play.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Depth is all. In his one opportunity so far, he has shown he is capable of being an NHLer.
Huh? He had two prior recalls, neither of which did much to sell anyone on his NHL potential. And while 10 points in 16 combined games last season was impressive, it hardly guarantees an NHL career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
It's the realization that he brings an element we don't have
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Additionally, not many guys can skate as well as he does, and carry themselves as fluidly as he does. You look around the league, and you don't see that many smooth skating defenseman.
Myers, Sekera and Ehrhoff are certainly just as fluid, if not moreso, in their skating as Gragnani. And whatever perceived advantage he may have in his passing skills is offset by the clear advantage that Myers, Ehrhoff and Leopold have in their shooting abilities over Gragnani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
We have so many solid D-prospects coming up that I actually wouldn't want a multi-year deal for Gragnani. In the end, he is just a spare part--not a guy you lock up. Between Brennan, Schiestel, McNabb, and Pysyk, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Gragnani won't the the 7th best D-man next year in the organization. Give him a year to prove himself, while keeping options available to bring someone else up if they earn it next year.

There is no reason to commit to him longer than necessary, he isn't a key piece moving forward.
Excellent points - I would add that he also isn't a unique piece given the four aforementioned starters with offensive skills, along with Brennan and Schiestel with similar traits.

If Gragnani were a tough, physical defenseman, then I could understand the desire some have about giving him a roster spot and locking him up long-term. Other than Regehr and Weber, with McNabb in the pipeline, the Sabres are thin in that type of defenseman and could use 1-2 more of that sort. But he isn't.


Last edited by Sabretip: 08-12-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:46 AM
  #65
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean they won't move him, just that they weren't actively looking to move him or they didn't have anyone interested. That could always change. If a team becomes interested and offers something decent, he could be moved.

That said, I don't think the Sabres will actively put him out there.
I'm not saying that he won't ever be moved. If someone calls up with a great offer, I'm sure he'd be made available, just like plenty of other players.

What I dispute is the insinuation that he's going to be moved before camp for a center, or to make room for Gragnani, or for cap room, or for any of the other countless reasons that have been bandied about.

The fact is that teams don't give players 4 year deals and then actively shop them as trade bait three weeks later.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:49 AM
  #66
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
It's the realization that he brings an element we don't have
We don't have a puck moving, point producing defenseman?

Someone would like a word.


SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:23 AM
  #67
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,377
vCash: 500
$500K, 2-way per News

That's his QO, right?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:31 AM
  #68
ct2111
Registered User
 
ct2111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
$500K, 2-way per News

That's his QO, right?
That can't be right, the minimum salary is 525k. His QO would've been 550k. I guess the quote that you're mentioning is "Gragnani, 24, was a restricted free agent whose NHL salary last year on a two-way contract was $500,000. Terms of his new deal were not disclosed.".

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:37 AM
  #69
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
That can't be right, the minimum salary is 525k. His QO would've been 550k. I guess the quote that you're mentioning is "Gragnani, 24, was a restricted free agent whose NHL salary last year on a two-way contract was $500,000. Terms of his new deal were not disclosed.".
I swear that bolded line wasn't in the story when I opened it this morning. Oh well.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:47 AM
  #70
Mergus merganser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,303
vCash: 500
The sabres are currently $3.59 million over the cap, before the MAG deal. Assuming he gets around 600k, that leaves them at $4.19 million over.

Now subtract the usual suspects: Morrisonn (2.075), Knots (3.0), and Ellis (.525)

That leaves us at $1.405 under the cap carrying 21 players (12 forwards, 7 defensemen, 2 goalies). So is that enough? Do you still expect a trade on top of maybe morrisonn?

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:47 AM
  #71
Pengo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
Loved Grags in the playoffs, good to know.

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:13 AM
  #72
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
$500K, 2-way per News

That's his QO, right?
Quote:
Gragnani, 24, was a restricted free agent whose NHL salary last year on a two-way contract was $500,000. Terms of his new deal were not disclosed.
That was LAST year's salary.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:52 AM
  #73
HogtownSabresfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Add me to the list who see it that way as well. All that Gragnani has demonstrated so far is that he's a star AHL defenseman, who showed glimpses - and 22 games of NHL experience is just that - of being a possible NHL defenseman. When he was called up, he didn't exactly set the world on fire offensively nor transform the power play into a juggernaut. Many seem ready to grant his permanent ticket to the NHL based on fewer games than either Sekera or Weber had played in the NHL prior to last season, yet those two were (and in some posted views, still are) questionmarks of being NHL-calibre defensemen.

Exactly. Star AHL D-man mean so little. Mancari has proven star in the A doesn't always translate.
How is this guy the new Brian Campbell based on one series? Way too early. Sekera has proven way more than him over a longer stretch. The idea of moving Sekera to make way MAG is laughable. On the western road trip Sekera was unstoppable. He was clearly hurt late in the season/playoffs. I can't wait to see what he can do healthy, especially if he's playing against 3rd line and 4th line pairings.
I have no problem with hims starting in 7 spot but we need more depth than him which is why I keep Morrisonn and send him to minors. We've got some other unproven AHL talent and some top prospects but as far as NHL-ready, the top 6 are solid but take out three of them to injuries and we'd been in trouble. Of course, most teams would be.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:36 AM
  #74
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
$500K, 2-way per News

That's his QO, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
That can't be right, the minimum salary is 525k. His QO would've been 550k. I guess the quote that you're mentioning is "Gragnani, 24, was a restricted free agent whose NHL salary last year on a two-way contract was $500,000. Terms of his new deal were not disclosed.".
Bill Hoppe's report this morning:

Quote:
The Sabres will find out soon, as the 24-year-old Gragnani, their last restricted free agent, accepted his qualifying offer Thursday, agreeing to a one-year, two-way contract. “We couldn’t find common ground on a longer-term deal,” said Kent Hughes, Gragnani’s agent.
Quote:
“He’s a point-producer offensively, and it sometimes makes it a little bit trickier to figure out what the life of the deal is if somebody lacks experience but has a certain skill set that the league has rewarded,” Hughes said
Quote:
Gragnani made a prorated $500,000 last season.
http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports...-sign-Gragnani

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:37 AM
  #75
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
We don't have a puck moving, point producing defenseman?

Someone would like a word.

Beat me to it.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.