HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biron awarded 2.8 mil.

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Fan-of-#9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Walker
I think that Marty has come in to his own, and is only going to get better. I believe he is better than alot of starters around the league, and is going to kick butt this year (hoping there is one). At $2.8 million; he's a steal if he plays 50 to 60 games, and we make the playoffs. He showed what he could do during the stretch run last year.

oh and by the way; Can anyone tell me who holds the record for the franchises shut out streak?
and this with a suspect D?
If you don't mind I will provide the answer......

It's Martin Biron, the same guy who has averaged a SV% over .922 after January 1st over the last 3 seasons (that includes 02-03 by the way). If a goalie can average Vezina-type numbers after January 1st (which is half a season), you cannot blame him for not making the playoffs. His play in the first half has been average, not horrible. As far as I'm concerned a goalie that has consistently had average 1st halves, and Vezina-like 2nd halves is good enough to lead a decent team to the playoffs.

Biron has averaged a SV% better than .922 after January 1st since his first year as a starter. That's pretty amazing if you ask me.

More food for thought:

-Biron won 26 games in 03-04. He played in 52 games for the Sabres.
-Patrick Lalime won 25 games in 03-04. He played in 57 games for the Sens.

-Among goalies who played at least 50 games in 03-04, Biron was 9th in Winning % (wins/GP), no other non-playoff goalie was better or even close to Biron in this category. (I know this stat is not totally accurate, although you cannot deny his ability to win a lot of games in only 52 GP).

Old
08-09-2004, 07:59 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Seriosuly guys, you have a GOOD starting goalie. Good starting goalies now adays go for 3 mill.

Cloutier, Vokoun and the likes.

Old
08-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
Seriosuly guys, you have a GOOD starting goalie. Good starting goalies now adays go for 3 mill.

Thibault is making over $3 million for far less consistency and a longer awaited "promise" of what's yet to come. Not a bad award. Heck, he's right in the neighborhood with Cloutier and both could be viewed as nearly interchangable players with far different rosters in front of 'em.

08-09-2004, 08:20 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:

:lol

First off, I like Biron, out of all the three goalies I want to see him succeed and be the #1 goalie. He has had pretty rough career thus far, and to be honest some of it is not his fault (Management and Coaching).

But, how the heck could you say we have a "GOOD starting goalie"??

Did you watch every single game before January?

Before then Biron was very inconsitent and was having alot of problems with letting in soft goals. Marty after January was the #1 man and played amazing.

IMO you give Marty the #1 job from the beginning of 04-05 he will probably be a top netminder and stay that way for the whole year. However if he has somone over his shoulder (Noronen/Miller) he is unable to keep the job.

I personally blame coaching for the whole "Goaltending Controversey"...

Old
08-09-2004, 08:26 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Biron has a .913 save % and a good amount of wins. Maybe it is the team in front of him. He performed better than your record indicates.

Old
08-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Biron has a .913 save % and a good amount of wins. Maybe it is the team in front of him. He performed better than your record indicates.

That Save Pct was 20th in the league last year (per the posted NHL.com report). Bottom half isn't good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Walker
oh and by the way; Can anyone tell me who holds the record for the franchises shut out streak?
Who holds the league record? It's a worse goalie than Biron.

Old
08-09-2004, 08:31 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

20th in the league, are they taking account back ups who played like 3 games? or is that all starting goalies.

Old
08-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
That Save Pct was 20th in the league last year (per the posted NHL.com report). Bottom half isn't good enough for me.

Who holds the league record? It's a worse goalie than Biron.
You sure the grass isn't greener over in the desert??

Old
08-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
20th in the league, are they taking account back ups who played like 3 games? or is that all starting goalies.
He's 14th among goalies that played at least 40 games...

Old
08-09-2004, 08:36 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
He's 14th among goalies that played at least 40 games...
I just looked and that is what i got.

14th on a 18th place team...If the goalies save % stat is higher ranked then your team is how can you blame him???

Old
08-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Moskau

I think Marty has no one to blame but himself.

HOWEVER... he could be helped.

I seem to remember him looking brilliant when we had the Defense Hasek had. Although it wasn't anything spectacular, it did include Zhitnik, Smehlik (we miss a guy like this), McKee (who was playing the way we expect today), Warrener and also had about 10 guys who could have gotten Selke votes. Biron at the time put up similar stats to Hasek.

If there's one thing you can peg on the Sabres Brass is they haven't put enough confidence to put the pieces around Biron.

We were so caught up in trying to create a dynamic offense that we forgot just how fast a defense can go from great with great depth to mediocre with horrible depth.

Instead of replacing a defensive stalwart in Shmelik, we decided to replace him with an offensive defensemen (take your pick we are on #5 if you're counting).

Instead of replacing a leader in Peca, we tried to get two homerun offensive "dynamos" instead. But how many years later is it and what are we doing? Drafting players like Roy, Paille, Stafford and trading for Drury.

Next year what will we be doing? Drafting defensemen to finally replace those we lost.

Old
08-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
You sure the grass isn't greener over in the desert??

You accept mediocrity, I don't.

Thanks for clarifying the Save %.

Old
08-09-2004, 08:43 PM
BG43

Cha-ching!!! $$$$$$$$$

Old
08-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1000
Quote:
His overall numbers are good. The dissatification has to do with his inconsistancy; particularly the poor first halfs of seasons he's strung together. If he has a .900 SA in the first half and a .926 SA in the second half you end up with a goalie with a .913 SA. Unfortunately by the time the second half rolls around, the team is virtually out of the playoff race. That's especially the case, since Buffalo hasn't had a quality backup since..... Martin Biron. I don't think anyone would have a problem with Biron if his play didn't fluctuate so much, or if the Sabres had a backup that could step up when Biron is going through the bad stretches.

Old
08-09-2004, 09:08 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by BironsGirl43
Cha-ching!!! $$$$$$$$$
It's about time, eh?

Now Marty can go out and take you on a huge shopping spree!!

Old
08-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
His overall numbers are good. The dissatification has to do with his inconsistancy; particularly the poor first halfs of seasons he's strung together. If he has a .900 SA in the first half and a .926 SA in the second half you end up with a goalie with a .913 SA. Unfortunately by the time the second half rolls around, the team is virtually out of the playoff race. That's especially the case, since Buffalo hasn't had a quality backup since..... Martin Biron. I don't think anyone would have a problem with Biron if his play didn't fluctuate so much, or if the Sabres had a backup that could step up when Biron is going through the bad stretches.
According to most Sabres fans we already have Noronen as a backup who could apparently lead us further than Biron can...?

Old
08-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Moskau

Quote:
According to most Sabres fans we already have Noronen as a backup who could apparently lead us further than Biron can...?
Thought that at one time. Until I saw Noronen perform just as inconsistent at the WJs.

Buffalo's goalies are like living in a house with two Women who menstrate on the same day.

If only they could alternate.

Old
08-09-2004, 10:29 PM
BG43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau

Buffalo's goalies are like living in a house with two Women who menstrate on the same day.
HAHAHAHA. Good analogy!

JOHNBOY: You know it.. haha.. just kidding.

Old
08-09-2004, 10:39 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau

If only they could alternate.
LMFAO!

:lol

Old
08-09-2004, 11:49 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

"Marty had a strong finish to last season and we look for him to solidify into a top NHL netminder," Regier said. "He has experience as a starter in the NHL and we look forward to his continued development in our organization."

That's about it.....Regier has lost it. This happened to Nixon in his last days in office, before resigning.

Old
08-10-2004, 07:49 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
I've got no problem with this award, unfortunately. Unfortunately, b/c I would have liked to have seen $2.5 mil or so give nthe Sabres financial outlook, but honestly, for that price at this point in time I think that's worth Marty getting one last shot to be the #1 guy in Buffalo.

I think the truth about Biron's inconsistency in last year's first half has as much to do with the divisions in the locker room, lack of leadership and an abysmal defense than an inherent inability on his part.

Marty's play is goal has been a mirror of the play in front of him. Solid when the team is solid and weak when the team is lazy. For him to 'take that next step' is to keep his head and technique in focus when his teammates are lapsing.

Marty's proven he can handle the pressure of the stretch drive by playing really well when he needed him to. In my mind that's worth one more chance even at a little more money than would be optimal.

Ta,

Old
08-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Here's something to consider:

Sign Felix Potvin for $1.5 million
Give Miller a 1-way contract ($1.5 million over 2 years)
trade Biron and Noronen

Potvin was signed for $1.3 million last season. I think he'd take $1.5 million, especially if there were incentives to make a lot more.

Miller should be agreeable to a pay cut to get out of the minors. Give him some nice incentives too if he becomes the starter. I think the pressure of knowing he'll be sent down if he has a bad game is too much.

Biron is tradable at $2.8 million. It would be foolish to walk away for that reason alone. I don't think Noronen has any future with the Sabres. Management just hasn't shown any confidence in him.

That leaves Potvin and Miller in Buffalo and the goalie situation resolved.
I like this for so many reason, the primary one being Miller, who looks like he may be getting a little restless with the goalie situation in bflo (hold out?). Last year everyone said that Regeir MUST trade a goalie, and here it is, 2004-05 and we still have 3.

This could backfire of course.

Old
08-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Digable5

Weekes may be worth a look, but Potvin is well past his prime. Unless there is some bizarre connection between him and Raycroft's performance last year, he's worthless. Even a bad season for Biron would be better than Potvin, and if Miller isn't ready to be (at least as good as Biron) we'd be in deep "sheet". Biron is better that Weekes, too, but if it allowed Miller a chance to shine so be it. However, we need to make the playoffs this year. And I'm not ready to put all of my hopes on Miller and certainly not Noronen, so Biron should fulfill his one year contract with us and re-assess when it expires.

Old
08-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Takeo

Quote:
If you don't mind I will provide the answer......

It's Martin Biron, the same guy who has averaged a SV% over .922 after January 1st over the last 3 seasons (that includes 02-03 by the way). If a goalie can average Vezina-type numbers after January 1st (which is half a season), you cannot blame him for not making the playoffs. His play in the first half has been average, not horrible. As far as I'm concerned a goalie that has consistently had average 1st halves, and Vezina-like 2nd halves is good enough to lead a decent team to the playoffs.

Biron has averaged a SV% better than .922 after January 1st since his first year as a starter. That's pretty amazing if you ask me.

More food for thought:

-Biron won 26 games in 03-04. He played in 52 games for the Sabres.
-Patrick Lalime won 25 games in 03-04. He played in 57 games for the Sens.

-Among goalies who played at least 50 games in 03-04, Biron was 9th in Winning % (wins/GP), no other non-playoff goalie was better or even close to Biron in this category. (I know this stat is not totally accurate, although you cannot deny his ability to win a lot of games in only 52 GP).
Your stats are so dry. The majority of Biron's success comes after the team is already eliminated from playoff contention. That tells me he's a decent goalie who can be impressive every so often, but is incapable of carrying a team any further than mediocrity or winning crucial games at potential turning points in the season. Stats are useful to bicker with, but wins and success are all that really matters.

Old
08-10-2004, 11:05 AM
djhn579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Your stats are so dry. The majority of Biron's success comes after the team is already eliminated from playoff contention. That tells me he's a decent goalie who can be impressive every so often, but is incapable of carrying a team any further than mediocrity or winning crucial games at potential turning points in the season. Stats are useful to bicker with, but wins and success are all that really matters.
And no player can win or succeed in a team sport by himself. A superstar like Hasek can win more games with a lesser supporting cast, but he still needs that supporting cast to perform.

A majority of this teams success the last three years has come after the team was already eliminated. The entire team hasn't played well in the first half in any of those years. Yet you want to put all the blame on Biron? For this team to be better than mediocre, you will need another superstar in net. I don't see a lot of them out there that will do significantly better than Biron, that we have a legitimate chance of getting without getting rid of promising young players who in the future will help us be better than mediocre...

Closed Thread