HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/11 Tribute

Old
09-03-2011, 07:51 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

vCash: 500
9/11 Tribute

Hello fellow HFBoards posters,

I am an Islanders fan and I come in peace. Throughout the years, the Isles and Rangers, and their fans, have battled each other for almost 4 decades. As hockey fans we've been through a whole lot, whether it be not winning a cup for 50 years or not winning a playoff series for almost 20 years. But as people, we are one when it comes to the September 11th attacks.
It's not just New Yorkers either. It is the ENTIRE nation. We forget about hockey and the different jerseys that are worn by our rivals. We remember that we are citizens of the United States of America and we remember what happened on that faithful day 10 years ago.
To me, I can't believe it has been 10 years, about a quarter of the duration of the best rivalry in the NHL! 10 years of remembering the brave men and women who have lost their lives and their families that mourn for them every day.
So join me and the fellow Americans to remember September 11th on its 10th anniversary. Feel free to share your story here, but do NOT disrespect the events of that day with something like a conspiracy theory.

God Bless America and God Bless You,
M Moulson Ale

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

My Uncle was supposed to be in the tower that day for work. Luckily, he hit traffic and was late to work. I'm so thankful for that. Sometimes I really do feel like there is such a thing as luck. God Bless to all those who serve.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:03 PM
jerrywally23*

Hello Rangers fans, On Sept 11, 2011 Were are all one, it doesn't matter if you are a Rangers, Islanders, Stars, Leafs, Bruins or Habs Fan,

A Bruins Fan

jerrywally23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:05 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

I remember it...I was about 5/6 at the time, and my grandfather worked in the WTC. Don't know how, but he survived. My mom was a nervous wreck that day, and I remember him getting out of his car completely covered in soot. He's not with us now, but I'll always remember that.

09-03-2011, 08:42 PM
RagsToRichards

My dad had a meeting at the WTC that day around the time the planes hit.. He worked like 4 or 5 blocks away at the time. He told his coworker that he was gonna take a piss and then call my mom and finally meet his colleague there. My dad left his building when it hit.. How about that for a story..

RagsToRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:05 PM
park rangers
Optimist

I was 8yrs old at the time and in the 3rd grade (live in central jersey btw)...I remember being in elementary school and us being let out early, i got home probably around 10:30 am and saw my sister and father standing there at the bus stop and even at 8 I knew something was wrong..

My father took me by the hand and brought me inside to the TV and CNN was on, i just stood in front of the television for what felt like forever watching the events take place and my dad kept saying, son you will NEVER forget what is happening right now. The reporters kept saying how people at the top were jumping off and how impossible of a rescue mission it was for the firemen. Cameras showed some people jumping and that scarred me for life! I had no idea what was going on or who did it, i had no clue what Al-Qaeda was. Only thing I knew as the towers fell and Pentagon was burning, was that thousands of innocent American people were dying.

Later on that night, CNN had basically come to the conclusion that it was a terrorist attack done by Al-Qaeda, they showed hundreds of Arabic children who were around my age at the time along with men with AK-47's celebrating and burning American flags. This will NEVER leave my mind and at that moment I literally said at age 8 I'm joining the military. I was never so angry at the fact that these people were celebrating over the death of 2,000+ innocent Americans. I truly took it personal and to this day at age 18 I have been in to looking in to joining the Marines. 9/11 brought out a side of me I didn't know I had and made me realize how lucky I am to be an American.

Things will never be the same in America and for those terrorists who thought they got away with it, I'd like to have a say, personally.

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:00 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
My father went in to work every morning to NYC and usually arrived right around the first plane hitting. He decided to take the early train in (about 30 minutes before or so).

He used to work for Aon on the 105th floor about 10 years or so prior to the attacks. We knew way too many people that died that day.

Unbelievable that it was 10 years ago. I remember posting on this board during and after the attacks and how everyone came together here on this stupid hockey site.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

I was only 8 at the time and really didn't know what was going on. Just came to post that we are all one, not only on that day, but everyday. This sport and rivalries are awesome, but we must all remember that it's just a game. We have to stick together.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:15 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
For the record, I was 15 at the time and in Chem class in HS. Sophomore. We were in the process of blowing **** up. Heh.

I remember hearing an announcement go over the air to turn the TVs on and that there was an attack against the Twin Towers. I left school early because we couldn't get in contact with my father and we knew he was there right when everything was going down. We finally heard from him around like 5pm. Was terrifying not knowing where he was and if he was safe.

I can only imagine how it must have been for the people who didn't get the, "I'm OK" email or phone call.

9/11 is still a tough time for me and even thinking about it makes me get teary eyed and cry. Probably be that way forever.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:07 AM
Kershaw

I didn't start school I think I was 5 or 6 years old. All I remember was my mom started to scream when she opened the news network. I started to break into tears also, thank goodness my father was alright. My heart goes out for all those affected by these attacks.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:31 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I second what everyone else said about solidarity despite our differences.

My own story is that I was at college at my 8:00-11:00 am class and some of the guys in the class weren't paying attention and the teacher was yelling at them to show some respect and they said "We've been attacked...." and pointed at the computer screen showing a CNN page, half loaded, because of the traffic to the site....

We all huddled around for the next hour and a half watching the TV and reading the internet as the events unfolded, many people at the college lost loved ones and the entire mood was very somber.

We watched on TV as the plane struck the second tower... and the first collapsed... just horrible... tough to even think about

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Nemchinov13

I was 22 at the time. Just finished the preload shift at UPS that's on 11th & 43rd and was having a breakfast at a Burger King on 42nd between 8th and 9th aves. Suddenly saw a lot of NYPD cars zooming by on 42nd st. I've never seen so many cop cars at one time and all with sirens on. Must've been at least 15 of them, if not more. Time was around 9am.

Finished breakfast, took a N train to 23rd st to go to my macroeconomics class. Got to the surface and saw everyone staring south. I glanced too. Saw a column, nay, a pillar of enormous proportions of grey smoke rising into the sky from downtown. Mind you, I still had no idea what happened. No iPhones or Droids in 2001. So I've asked a bystander what happened. "I don't know. A plane crashed downtown." Well, my class was going to start in 10 minutes, so I've hurried on (I'm a Baruch grad). School was already buzzing. Only then was the first time I've heard "World Trade Center". Both planes already hit. The class started, but we all, including prof were discussing the rumors and couldn't really believe it. 5 min after the class started (around 0930) a PA announcement was made that there was a terrorist attack involving hi-jacked planes on WTC and all classes are cancelled for the day.

So we piled out, I've hung around for another 15 min sharing emotions and decided to call it a day. Walked to the #6 train station at Lex & 23rd, but MTA already shut the system down on the island of Manhattan. If memory doesn't fail me, the bridges and tunnels were shut down also for the vehicular traffic until later in the day, which I didn't know. I know that the Manhattan Bridge was shut down for vehicular traffic definitely, because I was walking over it. First I walked from 23rd and Lex to the Brooklyn Bridge (because it has a pedestrian walkway) via Bowery st, but around Worth st (or somewhere around there) cops turned us around and told us to walk over the Manhattan Bridge back to Brooklyn. Now, the closer we were getting to the downtown area, the more of the white dust there was. At the check point where we got turned, it was real thick. The cops were covered by it, their car, the buildings, everything. My feet were at least a 1/4 of an inch in it. And the people who were coming out of the other side and were walking past the cops towards the Manhattan Bridge were all covered in dust. Some particles of the dust were in the air. And there was paper ash floating in the air. In fact (as a side note), my wife (then gf) had a small piece of burnt paper from WTC that had flown into her porch. She lived on Ave Z past Nostrand in Sheapshead Bay at the time. And Sheapshead is at least 40 min away by Q train from Downtown.

When we got to Brooklyn, there were people, just regular people of Brooklyn in all its wonderful variety waiting for us with snacks and water. I've accepted a cup of water from an Indian (or perhaps a Pakistani) either a doctor or male nurse. Vendors were giving away their food. It was a spectacular display of camaraderie. I've never felt better for the human race as I have had that day.

So I took a B train at DeKalb and went home. It took me about an hour and a half to walk from school to the DeKalb station.

The next day I went to work for my regular 0400 report. Half of people didn't show up, so it was tough physically. Mentally I was sharper because the firehouse on 43rd between 10th and 11th (I've walked past it every day on my way to work) has lost 6 good men the day before. And I had a terrible ****ing feeling that these guys may not all be back to the fire station. And I was hoping against all hope that I would be wrong. So, however hard it was for me that day, I was not going to complain or moan, because in comparison to those heroes and their sacrifices, my little inconveniences were a non issue. For all these high words, I'm a dick and a *******. Because I don't know what company they're from.

Edit (shows what kind of egoistical person I am)

God bless the families who had to suffer and endure such tragedy. God bless all of the responders at WTC.

Last edited by Nemchinov13: 09-04-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 02:07 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

We give each other all a lot of **** being fans of other teams but, you're completely right, we're all on the same team when it comes to being Proud New Yorkers and Americans.

Personally, I was in the first week of school in 7th grade, up in Orange County, New York. They really didn't let us in on anything but parents were coming in to pick up their kids and there were a lot of rumors flying around, like you would expect for Middle Schoolers. They finally told us what was going on at the end of the day and it was pretty jawdropping to get home and see the images on television.

My mom told me that my dad, who was a firefighter in Co-op City at the time and had the day off, drove into the city as soon as it happened. I didn't see him for a few days, as he was working at the site, along with the FDNY. While I was relieved to see him when he came home, I can't imagine the stuff he saw there. Not to mention having to deal with all the funerals of his friends and coworkers. He's had health problems since and it eventually led to him leaving the fire department early but I'm just glad he's as healthy as he is. He's the type that, if he were working in the city closer to the area, I fear that I would have lost him that day. I've never spoken to him in detail about it (he's the sealed-lip Irish type) but I could imagine how surreal the entire thing was.

It's crazy to think that it's been a full decade since the attacks. I wish the best to anyone effected.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 02:20 AM
Rangers1135

I think they have a 2 hour 9/11 special on the Science channel. IDK when but I'm going to check it out.

What pisses me off is that they won't show the picture of Bin Laden, meanwhile they show the people jumping of the Towers and crazy stuff like that. It was terrifying watching the people jump off the building.

I lived in Flushing, Queens at the time, but I don't remember much. I can't stand when I see or hear 9/11 jokes. It pisses me off so much, I can't believe someone can actually joke about that.

Rangers1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:21 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I was 15 at the time, and my high school was about 3 blocks away. I used to go to the mall at the bottom of the WTC quite often after school, and in fact I hung out there the previous night, September 10th, at around 5-6 PM. Looked around at Borders for a while, got myself a Starbucks, bought a couple of comic books from a street vendor just by there.

The morning of, I woke up late, but as it was early in the school year and I had vowed to be a better student that year, decided that I better start getting ready to go to school. If I had awoke on time, I'd have been there by 8 AM. Instead, it was nearly 8:30. I started to get ready and flipped on the TV to see the weather. Within a few minutes, whichever local morning show I had on went fuzzy for a second, and then they started talking about it. I was lucky not to have been caught in Manhattan for it, and even luckier that no one particularly close to me was taken that morning, although I did have a couple of acquaintances that lost their lives that day. Indirectly, that day changed my life. I ended up switching schools (a regretful mistake), and in some sense, that probably never would have happened had it not been for that day. Of course, that's small potatoes compared to the negative impact that it had on other people's lives. I'll never forget seeing those images that morning.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueSince92 View Post
I was 8yrs old at the time and in the 3rd grade (live in central jersey btw)...I remember being in elementary school and us being let out early, i got home probably around 10:30 am and saw my sister and father standing there at the bus stop and even at 8 I knew something was wrong..

My father took me by the hand and brought me inside to the TV and CNN was on, i just stood in front of the television for what felt like forever watching the events take place and my dad kept saying, son you will NEVER forget what is happening right now. The reporters kept saying how people at the top were jumping off and how impossible of a rescue mission it was for the firemen. Cameras showed some people jumping and that scarred me for life! I had no idea what was going on or who did it, i had no clue what Al-Qaeda was. Only thing I knew as the towers fell and Pentagon was burning, was that thousands of innocent American people were dying.

Later on that night, CNN had basically come to the conclusion that it was a terrorist attack done by Al-Qaeda, they showed hundreds of Arabic children who were around my age at the time along with men with AK-47's celebrating and burning American flags. This will NEVER leave my mind and at that moment I literally said at age 8 I'm joining the military. I was never so angry at the fact that these people were celebrating over the death of 2,000+ innocent Americans. I truly took it personal and to this day at age 18 I have been in to looking in to joining the Marines. 9/11 brought out a side of me I didn't know I had and made me realize how lucky I am to be an American.

Things will never be the same in America and for those terrorists who thought they got away with it, I'd like to have a say, personally.

great post !!! lots of emotion and really a great recap from someone only 8.. my daughter was 1 and i didn't put her down for 2 months

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

I was a 3/4 year old European at the time, but I remember my mom waking me up, an telling me what happened. Obviously I was not affected, but my deepest respect to anyone who was

Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Blazephr

I was working construction on a high-rise 4 blocks north when we saw the 2nd plane, then lost visual, then heard it hit the WTC. We were down at Ground Zero that very night and the proceeding weeks.

God Bless America.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1135 View Post
I think they have a 2 hour 9/11 special on the Science channel. IDK when but I'm going to check it out.

What pisses me off is that they won't show the picture of Bin Laden, meanwhile they show the people jumping of the Towers and crazy stuff like that. It was terrifying watching the people jump off the building.

I lived in Flushing, Queens at the time, but I don't remember much. I can't stand when I see or hear 9/11 jokes. It pisses me off so much, I can't believe someone can actually joke about that.
Jokes!? What ******* jokes about something like that? What can they possibly say that can be considered funny?

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:32 AM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
Jokes!? What ******* jokes about something like that? What can they possibly say that can be considered funny?
I've heard Family Guy do more than a couple 9/11 jokes, and even heard a Simpsons tasteless reference this past season...it will NEVER be okay to joke about something as tragic as what took place almost 10 years ago (which will ALWAYS feel like yesterday to me...)

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Rangers1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post
I've heard Family Guy do more than a couple 9/11 jokes, and even heard a Simpsons tasteless reference this past season...it will NEVER be okay to joke about something as tragic as what took place almost 10 years ago (which will ALWAYS feel like yesterday to me...)

9/11 and Holocaust jokes are terrible and unhuman. I was was watching Family Guy with my dad and of course the joke about the guy cleaning the window or something like happened and my dad ****ing pissed. And they did the Holocaust joke where he was eating chips when they were hiding? I don't know how people see it funny.

Rangers1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1135 View Post
9/11 and Holocaust jokes are terrible and unhuman. I was was watching Family Guy with my dad and of course the joke about the guy cleaning the window or something like happened and my dad ****ing pissed. And they did the Holocaust joke where he was eating chips when they were hiding? I don't know how people see it funny.
I was just watching the South Park episode, "It's a Jersey Thing" where New Jersey spreads and is conquering the United States. After running out of options for help, South Park sends a tape to Al Queida asking for their help because if they dont help, New Jersey will eventually spread to them. So when fighting off the New Jersey people, South Park finally runs out of ammo and then Al Queida comes to the rescue... Flying planes and crashing them into the ground and exploding on the New Jersey people. Now it isn't a direct 9/11 reference, but at the same time is disturbing. Although I find South Park to be very funny.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Why does it take something horrible to unite people? Maybe if this 9/11 thinking was spread out through the rest of the 364 days of the year this wouldn't be such a crappy planet.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:27 PM
gotmonte

I was 25 years old at the time and was just getting engaged. Had bought the ring a week before the attacks cause my uncle was hooking me up with a good job in the Herricks school district.

Anyways, September 11th at around 8am I had an interview with the head boss there. While in the interview a worker came in from the cafeteria they had in the next room and the guy said, "Come look.. some small prop plane hit the World Trade Center". We were like "huh?" we went and looked and it seemed bad but not enough to stop the interview (to be honest that what I was thinking atleast.. lets get this job nailed down.. Lord knows I never would have imagined this was turning out to be on of the worst days in American history). As we watched, the second plane came barreling through and hit the next tower. At that point we BOTH knew the interview would be over and start to call your loved ones.

I immediately tried to call my fiance who worked as a Physician Assistant in jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx ( I thought immediately it was terror attacks and what better way to hit the city as hitting a major hospital.. very disrespectful to America to kill your wounded) I couldnt get through. I went to my mothers house to watch in horror. I couldnt get back to my apartment in Bayside due to the police blocking off all the major roads going into the city from long island.

My wife was fine thank God. I never felt so much hate, loyalty to my country and sadness all wrapped into one as September 11th gave me. I will forever remember the bond New Yorkers had and America as a whole had. Now I dont know if States like California felt the same, but in New York we rode around with flags sticking out our car windows and held nightly vigils with candles on Bell Blvd in Bayside.

A small drop in the bucket but I never did get that job. With everything going on with the time of terrorism and having to pass a Government testing with fingerprints and everything, everything was put on hold and I eventually took the City Corrections test and became an Officer in Rikers. But I will never EVER forget where I was at the moment of the first and second planes to hit the World Trade Towers.

So sad. God Bless this great country. 9 years later we kill the son of a b1tch responsible for these terrible terrible acts. God bles Seal Team 6 and the American people who have lost so much on such a terrible date in history. It was Pearl Harbor all over again. So sad.

God bless all of you who lost loved ones during such heinous attacks.

P.S.: where is the emoticon where the smiley faces are pushing up the American flag into the rock like the firefighters pushing up the flag at the world trade center (one of the most famous pictures of 9-11)

Thought we had one. On another board they have it. Too bad. Perfect emoticon for this post/thread.

P.P.S. I cant believe so many around here were so young during the attacks. 4, 5, 6 years old. WOW!

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:36 PM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

i'll never forget that day. it was my first week of Middle School, so i was 11. and being in South Brooklyn, you're not as close as others, but it's still only about 10 miles...

anyway, i remember not finding out what had happened until i was called down the auditorium. walking down the block to the bus afterwards with my mother, i was in a panic. i started claiming that we were going to war and that Brooklyn was next and we were all gonna die (can you blame me?) i saw an armored vehicle get on the Belt Parkway towards Manhattan, as well. when i got home, my dad was there (parents were separated at the time), already with a drink in his hand, watching the tv with a disgruntled look on his face. he lost friends in the buildings that day.

the thing that still haunts me to this day is the smell of it. that smell lingered for months afterwards. it was horrible.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote