HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Wojtek Wolski for Andrei Kostitsyn

Old
08-11-2011, 08:32 PM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Am I the only one who sees this as a lateral move at best? I've never been impressed with Kostitsyn. He strikes me as another Frolov or Zherdev type. We all know how they worked out with Torts.

Oh right, this one will be different.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 08:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Am I the only one who sees this as a lateral move at best? I've never been impressed with Kostitsyn. He strikes me as another Frolov or Zherdev type. We all know how they worked out with Torts.

Kostitsyn at least is a physical player.

I would take Kostitsyn over Wolski any day.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Much better all around but doesn't have the high end potential that Wolski does.

I'm still extremely intrigued when it comes to Wolski this season. I'm not naive enough to say I expect a big season, but I wouldn't be surprised.
I'd rather let Wolski have one more chance this year. And like Dubi said where is Andrei playing on this roster that he won't be disgruntled still
It's very nice to speculate about another teams talented but disgruntled malcontent and to try to figure out a way to get that player here in exchange for our talented underachiever who at age 25 has already worn out his welcome with 4 teams in the past 2 years. All it is at this point is conjecture and from what I'm seeing with the direction our team is taking, I doubt very much if torts would like kosty any better than wolski.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post

It's probably a downgrade in terms of pure talent, but an upgrade in terms of acquiring players that fit our system. I think Kostitsyn is more consistent on a shift-by-shift basis and is certainly more physical. I'm just not a fan of Wolski's game, natural talent included.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
A Kostitsyn brother + Tortarella = oiiiiii

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Done deal.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Looks like a decent swap. Not the biggest fan of either, but I think theres a little more bite in Kostitsyns game. Only problem is...Who keeps the leash on him in Manhattan?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Block More Shots

Stick with Wolski. He's working hard this off-season to improve his overall game. Contract year as well. I don't get the impression that he has a bad attitude either. Inconsistent, yes, but not a bad attitude. AK may be more motivated coming over in a trade, but what happens if his game slips and he's put on the 3rd/4th lines? Does he take it like a man and play harder, or get pissed and slack off?

I like what we have in place here. And who knows, Hagelin or Thomas could surprise in training camp and find themselves a spot. But if not, Wolski still has a lot to play for.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:01 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
Stick with Wolski. He's working hard this off-season to improve his overall game. Contract year as well. I don't get the impression that he has a bad attitude either. Inconsistent, yes, but not a bad attitude. AK may be more motivated coming over in a trade, but what happens if his game slips and he's put on the 3rd/4th lines? Does he take it like a man and play harder, or get pissed and slack off?

I like what we have in place here. And who knows, Hagelin or Thomas could surprise in training camp and find themselves a spot. But if not, Wolski still has a lot to play for.
Wolski "working hard" this off-season is the biggest sports cliche I've ever heard. Where'd you get that info, rangers.com? Give me a break. Whether it's true or not, you think it's as simple as Wolski saying "eh, I guess I'll work hard now." That's insulting to both Wolski and every hockey player that actually puts int he work.

Old
08-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Wolski "working hard" this off-season is the biggest sports cliche I've ever heard. Where'd you get that info, rangers.com? Give me a break. Whether it's true or not, you think it's as simple as Wolski saying "eh, I guess I'll work hard now." That's insulting to both Wolski and every hockey player that actually puts int he work.
ummmmm he was working with Barb Underhill and now is working with "Hockey Guru" Jari Bryski. He is also learning about proper nutrition.

I guess Brian Boyle didn't work hard last off-season

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 10:43 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

worth considering, although Wolski also has something to prove in his contract year and if he is able to latch on with Richards and Gaborik, he may be able to jack up demand for himself in the "oh so sorry, you missed out of Parise, take me instead" sweepstakes.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Kosty is a better fit than WW. As a more physical player, he would fit better with Gaborik and Brad, or alternatively on the third line with Stepan and Zuccarello since both lines would need a physical player presence.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post

Fair points, though FWIW Kostitsyn is also in his contract year. UFA after the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Kosty is a better fit than WW. As a more physical player, he would fit better with Gaborik and Brad, or alternatively on the third line with Stepan and Zuccarello since both lines would need a physical player presence.
That's a big part of my logic here as well.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:11 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

NY could do a lot worse than Kostitsyn, but I would prefer to see how Wolski pans out.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 11:30 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
ummmmm he was working with Barb Underhill and now is working with "Hockey Guru" Jari Bryski. He is also learning about proper nutrition.

I guess Brian Boyle didn't work hard last off-season
lol, and again, because Brian Boyle worked on his game and improved, all players who work with barb underhill will magically become better hockey players because of it.

Some of you are in for a reality check sooner than later, but then again I guess it's the same sort of thinking that had people pinning Petr Prucha, Nigel Dawes, Enver Lisin and company as players that just aren't being utilized properly or aren't catching breaks. Always thinking that their magical season was just around the corner.

You can follow any player around on the off-season and put a spin on it that this upcoming year will be different because of how they're working. It's human nature to strive to be better, but it's human nature to fall into the same bad habits and same routines that made you mediocore to begin with (in Wolski's case, being able to skate better isn't going to change that he's soft, has a terrible hockey IQ and is lazy on the ice.) There are guys that don't waste a second on the ice and there are gliders. Rarely have I ever seen one turn into the other.

Old
08-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
lol, and again, because Brian Boyle worked on his game and improved, all players who work with barb underhill will magically become better hockey players because of it.

Some of you are in for a reality check sooner than later, but then again I guess it's the same sort of thinking that had people pinning Petr Prucha, Nigel Dawes, Enver Lisin and company as players that just aren't being utilized properly or aren't catching breaks. Always thinking that their magical season was just around the corner.

You can follow any player around on the off-season and put a spin on it that this upcoming year will be different because of how they're working. It's human nature to strive to be better, but it's human nature to fall into the same bad habits and same routines that made you mediocore to begin with (in Wolski's case, being able to skate better isn't going to change that he's soft, has a terrible hockey IQ and is lazy on the ice.) There are guys that don't waste a second on the ice and there are gliders. Rarely have I ever seen one turn into the other.
I never said he will automatically become better. You criticized us for just thinking that he is working hard because the Rangers.com website is feeding us with BS. They aren't. All I'm saying is he is working hard, there is proof. He is determined. Does it mean he will become a different player and become much better than he was last season. Hell no. But I gave you what you wanted, proof that he is working hard. Don't change the topic and put words in my mouth that I said he will be a better player.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:14 AM
ruckus*

I just don't see this organization bringing in potential malcontents at this point unless they're a sure fire upgrade. I don't see that here. This organization is being built on character.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:57 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
i find it funny the board is voting Wolski the #1 LW and in another thread he is kicked out of town, lol

only Ranger fans
The problem with Wolski is that he isn't a fit to be playing with grinders. He has to be playing with other talented players to be used effectively, hence why he is a potential option on the first line.

All the best offensive players don't just get lumped on to the first line for the sake of it.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
[...]
Funny thing, for a moment I mixed up the english word "circumvent" with "circumcise" when I saw your by line (under the avatar). I was like whaaaat?

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Ola

Great stuff RB and Id love to make this trade.

The only downside I see, and correct me if I am wrong, is that AK is more of a natrual RW than LW? We have plenty of RW's as it is, and while I know that he has played some on the left side, is he really 100% comfortable there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Much better all around but doesn't have the high end potential that Wolski does.

I'm still extremely intrigued when it comes to Wolski this season. I'm not naive enough to say I expect a big season, but I wouldn't be surprised.
You know what, I was also about to write that Wolski has more upside while Andrei Kostitsyn is a better fit for us. But thinking it true, I think I changed my mind on that.

Kostitsyn is a very talented player. Sure he has some flaws, but he is a very good shooter and moves the puck well.

But we really has a roster to get out like 150% from a player like that. Like he would be backed by a ton of hard working players, and only really face competition from Gabby in terms of being that offensive sniper type.

Players like him in a position like that can sometimes explode in terms of production. It wouldn't be the first time someone as talented as him got like 90 pts or something nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
I don't get all the W2 hate. Everything I've seen about him this offseason has been him saying he knows he sucked and talking about all the things he's doing to make sure he doesn't suck again. We know the potential is there, and he seems to realize he needs to work hard to reach it again. I'm excited to see how him play this year for the Rangers.
I actually don't think there is much hate for him, and while I wouldn't dispute that he have talent -- I think you gotta question how much talent he have and how much potential he have.

He has slick hands. He is strong. He has a decent shot. He can move the puck.

But at the same time, he is born and stuck with slow and heavy feets. He can improve his skating, but will never be the type that flyies all over the ice. And he will never be the type who is dominant in the offensive zone with his raw talent.

If he improves all over, gains confidence, ends up in the right environment, yes, he has potential and could put up good numbers. I think thats true. But there are alot of buts.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 06:21 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Some people would say Wolski is a floater too. Inconsistent. Should be better than he is. Both players are in their contract years. Wolski is not getting qualified for $4M next summer. When Montreal was shopping both Kostitsyn's during the 09-10 season,Bruce Garroich wrote Slats was interested. There is a thread here on that topic. That Montreal media and fans are ruthless. Better players than Kostitsyn have been run out of Montreal. Don Meehan client. The Rangers have numerous Newport Sports clients

Wolski can't do this.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 08-12-2011 at 06:26 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 06:34 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
But even though I don't think Kostitsyn said anything that wasn't true doesn't mean I agree with him saying it. The Canadiens are not exactly an organization that appreciates having dirty laundry aired in public. In fact, I can't think of a single club that does like it, but some are more tolerant of it than others.

Calling out your coach a month ahead of training camp when entering a season where you're about to hit unrestricted free agency is not exactly a great career move.

Kostitsyn also mentions in the article that his agent, Don Meehan, advised him to simply play hockey.

Sounds like good advice to me.
http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

Its a good career move if the player doesn't want to play in Montreal and wants out.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Eh, seems like a wash to me. Add a little bit of consistency and physicality, but with that consistency comes a headcase who has been known to have issues with his attitude.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 07:36 AM
NYR Viper

I could see Lou Lams going after him.....

Clarkson + for Kostitsyn would make sense. Montreal wants to stop getting pushed around.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Emptyvoid

I honestly don't think it's much of a downgrade talent wise. Both players have great tools at their disposal. Howevever, both lack a toolbox. AK fits our system better.

I wouldn't mind having either Wolski or AK here, both are talented players and can prosper if used properly. I just feel Torts would be able to use AK better than Wolski.

Emptyvoid is online now   Reply With Quote