HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Going to root for the leaf

View Poll Results: Q for HF Habs fans: Toronto versus Boston game, who do you want to win?
Toronto 70 50.36%
Boston 23 16.55%
Can't choose 46 33.09%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-07-2011, 03:23 PM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

vCash: 500
Going to root for the leaf

Recently moved to Toronto Canada. Expect there will be times, in a bar or with friends, when they'll be a leaf game on TV, etc., and after some thought I realized that I will probably cheer for the leaf only under the following circumstances:

1) leaf are playing against boston.
2) leaf are playing a team ahead of the Habs in the standings.

Actually not 100% sure about (2) before the playoff race shapes up, but fairly convinced about (1) as a season-long policy.

It is a bit strange to imagine cheering for the leaf, but my dislike for them has been eclipsed by a barf-in-the-mouth hatred for the broon.

Q for HF Habs fans: Toronto versus Boston game, who do you want to win?

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Cross my fingers for a giant sink hole.

Barring that, I cheer for whichever outcome helps the Habs the most in any way, shape or form.

In a completely neutral scenario where the outcome does not affect the Canadiens or playoff positioning, then I'd probably cheer for the Leafs.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:41 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I don't know. I don't mind the Leafs too much. A lot of their fans are dick wads, but there are a respectful few. If they are fighting for our spot, then I'd merely hope they don't let Toronto get a point. Not exactly cheer.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I don't care who wins. I don't hate either teams, so it doesn't matter. I just hope the game ends in regulation, so only one team gets points.

Old
08-07-2011, 04:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
I prefer leafs over Boston any day.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
neofury*

Now a days I just feel sorry for them and their fans and root for them unless we play them

I have a fair amount of respect for the majority of their fans (the non-idiots) because I find they know hockey like we do. Other fan bases I can't say the same about I won't specify though.

I've also had probably the most civil convo's between fans with leafs fans so it's probably why I have a soft spot for them. Since they're used to the haters like we are they often times see things in the same light that we do.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Brian Burke and the Leafs gave the Bruins the Stanley cup on a silver plate, so I wish the Leafs to keep sucking for years to come just for this..

I dont care if the Bruins win against the Leafs, all I care is the Habs winning against the Bruins..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Jakomyte

Would it make me a bad hockey fan if I just rooted for injuries?

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:31 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Brian Burke and the Leafs gave the Bruins the Stanley cup on a silver plate, so I wish the Leafs to keep sucking for years to come just for this..
No they didn't hand them the Cup or anything. They just gave them their future core and the possibility of repeating their runs. Seguin barely played a role. He had 1 great game and that was it.

Old
08-07-2011, 04:32 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Would it make me a bad hockey fan if I just rooted for injuries?
yes....except when it comes to Chara...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I will pretty much always root for the Leafs over the Bruins, unless the Bruins winning would help us. I am sure it is because of this generation of Habs fans not being used to the Leafs being decent, but I have always hated the Bruins more.

The only team I hate in any sport more than the Booins is the Yankees.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:09 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

I dont care if the Bruins win against the Leafs, all I care is the Habs winning against the Bruins..
how so? by giving them a 18 year old mostly healthy scratch? I don't think the leafs trade or trades played any role at all in their cup run, Kaberle was also atrocious. I dunno why people say such stupid things.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 05:37 PM
NewHabsEra*

Kaberle solidified their blueline, he didnt produce on their PP before the last round but still was a nice contributor for them regarding transition.. Seguin hasnt had much impact in their playoffs race but having a such talended kid around improve your depth and confidence.. his 4 pts game was also a boost for the team.. And Im not even talking about Bruins' future, Seguin and Hamilton are gonna be solid contributors for years to come.. Also, when you see your GM doing a such move (the Kessel trade), stealing and I would even say destroying a rival like this, it gives the whole organisation alot of credibility.. we shouldnt under estimate the real impact of this famous trade..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:16 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Kaberle solidified their blueline, he didnt produce on their PP before the last round but still was a nice contributor for them regarding transition.. Seguin hasnt had much impact in their playoffs race but having a such talended kid around improve your depth and confidence.. his 4 pts game was also a boost for the team.. And Im not even talking about Bruins' future, Seguin and Hamilton are gonna be solid contributors for years to come.. Also, when you see your GM doing a such move (the Kessel trade), stealing and I would even say destroying a rival like this, it gives the whole organisation alot of credibility.. we shouldnt under estimate the real impact of this famous trade..
Hey guys, not here to cause trouble.

As far as this opinion I would say it is to early to tell if we won or lost that trade. Seguin needs to show what Kessel has, Knight needs to break the roster and Hamilton from what I have been hearing needs quite a bit of time to grow into what he is pegged to be.

For argument sake lets say the leafs kept the picks and we had Seguin. There would be no guarantee that we would have drafted Knight and Hamilton like Boston did. Boston is in a completely different area than we are. We needed a player that could be a game breaker and Kessel was that guy. So far he has been everything we where told he could be.

As far as Burke goes some like him some hate him, really all in how you view growth and the steps that it takes to build a franchise that was filled with AHL talent when he took over. With the Boston trade he chose to over pay for kessel ( with picks not knowing who they would be ) we did not have anything on our roster Boston wanted/needed or that we were willing to give up. I believe because Burke chose to go the route he did with the over payment it opened the door for the Kaberle trade and the return we had for him.

Because of that Kaberle trade we now have Colborne,Liles and Biggs. So to say who has won the trade now would not be possible, we will have to give it at least until seguin regularly plays 82 games a season or close to it.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:19 PM
CanadaIsHockey

This question is incorrectly asked, hence I can't vote.

In my opinion, the question should be: Toronto versus Boston game, who would you rather see lose?

I cannot cheer for any one of these 2 teams to win. However I see no problem in cheering for 1 of them to get their ***** kicked.... In this case it would be Boston as they are the more dangerous team, and it seems our rivalry with them is in full gear while the Leafs have dropped off a lot in the past 4-5 years.

CanadaIsHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Coldplay
Courage

My hate for the Bruins is so high that I would root, and root hard, for the Leafs to win. I've already done it before in their games.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:26 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
Can I cheer for about 14 injuries to each team and then a 0-0 tie. Or the building collapse on the night of the game??? I in good concience can not cheer for either of those teams.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:32 PM
shutehinside

I moved to Toronto 6 years ago and I still haven't cheered for them and don't plan on it. Believe me, there aren't that many Leaf fans here anyway. I see more Habs hear then Leafs.

No need to switch to the dark side!

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:44 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
No they didn't hand them the Cup or anything. They just gave them their future core and the possibility of repeating their runs. Seguin barely played a role. He had 1 great game and that was it.
No offense but if Seguin hadn't had that one great game Boston would have been eliminated.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 06:49 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanSince86 View Post
Hey guys, not here to cause trouble.

As far as this opinion I would say it is to early to tell if we won or lost that trade. Seguin needs to show what Kessel has, Knight needs to break the roster and Hamilton from what I have been hearing needs quite a bit of time to grow into what he is pegged to be.

For argument sake lets say the leafs kept the picks and we had Seguin. There would be no guarantee that we would have drafted Knight and Hamilton like Boston did. Boston is in a completely different area than we are. We needed a player that could be a game breaker and Kessel was that guy. So far he has been everything we where told he could be.

As far as Burke goes some like him some hate him, really all in how you view growth and the steps that it takes to build a franchise that was filled with AHL talent when he took over. With the Boston trade he chose to over pay for kessel ( with picks not knowing who they would be ) we did not have anything on our roster Boston wanted/needed or that we were willing to give up. I believe because Burke chose to go the route he did with the over payment it opened the door for the Kaberle trade and the return we had for him.

Because of that Kaberle trade we now have Colborne,Liles and Biggs. So to say who has won the trade now would not be possible, we will have to give it at least until seguin regularly plays 82 games a season or close to it.
Dude are you seriously trying to argue this trade? Burke fleeced Chiarelli in the Kaberle trade no doubt, but Kessel. Yes Kessel is a great winger, but tell me you wouldn't like to keep Seguin, Hamilton and Knight (who's ready to step in within a year btw) over Kess. Hamilton + Schenn = shutdown machine for many years. Who are you kidding, man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
No offense but if Seguin hadn't had that one great game Boston would have been eliminated.
What was it? Game 2 or something against the Bolts? They weren't getting eliminated.

Old
08-07-2011, 06:51 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

It's okay to Hate both teams... I live in CT right between Boston and NYC and I can't stand any sports team from either city... And of course the Laffs.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:04 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Dude are you seriously trying to argue this trade? Burke fleeced Chiarelli in the Kaberle trade no doubt, but Kessel. Yes Kessel is a great winger, but tell me you wouldn't like to keep Seguin, Hamilton and Knight (who's ready to step in within a year btw) over Kess. Hamilton + Schenn = shutdown machine for many years. Who are you kidding, man?

What was it? Game 2 or something against the Bolts? They weren't getting eliminated.
I never said I would not take them on my team if we had drafted them. I said it is to early to tell who won the trade, it is all opinion. Besides potential it is based on nothing right now, all three need to develop before I will make a judgment call. Knight may be ready but will he crack the roster and Hamilton would have eventually looked good beside Schenn, but there was no guarantee he was the one we would have picked.

I am not the type to make a choice right away when I don't have a clue of what will happen in the next couple of years. I think in two years we will have the answer.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I moved to Toronto 6 years ago and I still haven't cheered for them and don't plan on it. Believe me, there aren't that many Leaf fans here anyway. I see more Habs hear then Leafs.

No need to switch to the dark side!
I beg to differ..........

I've lived in the GTA for 32 years and mullet nation is everywhere. You will find many fans of other teams but we are definitely outnumbered.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Skarjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Recently moved to Toronto Canada. Expect there will be times, in a bar or with friends, when they'll be a leaf game on TV, etc., and after some thought I realized that I will probably cheer for the leaf only under the following circumstances:

1) leaf are playing against boston.
2) leaf are playing a team ahead of the Habs in the standings.

Actually not 100% sure about (2) before the playoff race shapes up, but fairly convinced about (1) as a season-long policy.

It is a bit strange to imagine cheering for the leaf, but my dislike for them has been eclipsed by a barf-in-the-mouth hatred for the broon.

What? I moved to Toronto recently and there is not a chance in hell I will root for the leafs! If I watch a game with leafs fans, I will probably cheer for the other team.

In a game that wouldn't have any direct impact on us, I couldn't choose between Toronto and Boston.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 07:42 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanSince86 View Post
I never said I would not take them on my team if we had drafted them. I said it is to early to tell who won the trade, it is all opinion. Besides potential it is based on nothing right now, all three need to develop before I will make a judgment call. Knight may be ready but will he crack the roster and Hamilton would have eventually looked good beside Schenn, but there was no guarantee he was the one we would have picked.

I am not the type to make a choice right away when I don't have a clue of what will happen in the next couple of years. I think in two years we will have the answer.
Fair enough. I'll get back to you in 2 seasons