HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speaking of bulking up

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2004, 01:18 PM
dumpsathernow*

vCash: 500
Speaking of bulking up

Tyutin, Lampman and Moore all need to bulk up. Moore has no chance of becoming a good pro if he doesn't get bigger. Lampman is pretty smart on defense but he had no chance of clearing the crease when he was up. Tyutin is strong but if he is expected to play 20 minutes a nice he probably needs to add 10 pounds of muscle. He is OK clearing the crease but he can't handle the really big forwards.

Old
08-08-2004, 01:22 PM
NYR469

tyutin is like 6'2 220 he's got good size already

Old
08-08-2004, 02:48 PM
dumpsathernow*

I don't doubt they listed him at 220 but there is no way he is 220. He looked 200 tops. DeVries I think was listed lighter the Tyutin and clearly looked bigger.

Old
08-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

All of these players have been part of the Ranger organization for one or more years and have been supervised by professionals. Why do you think you know better? It's been shown over and over again that too much muscle slows down players in hockey.

Old
08-08-2004, 02:55 PM
dumpsathernow*

I don't think saying a guy should add 10 pounds of muscle is thinking I know better. It's not like that will slow him down. I also disagree about bulking up slowing players down. It all depends on the player. Bertuzzi got quite a bit bigger over time and he dominates. Modano got bigger and he got better.

That theory might work for a smaller player who might not have the frame for adding weight. However, at 6'2 I think Tyutin has plenty of room to add some muscle. I also think sating bulking up isn't a good idea for a young player is foolish. You aren't going to be near your muscle peak at 20 to 24. If you remember in 1994, Keenan clearly made it clear most of the Rangers were totally out of shape. I see no reason with the country club we have had here for years that this isn't the case with many of our players.

Old
08-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Levitate

can't say i agree with that at all...tjutin is listed around 217 or so and he looked it to me and looked like he didn't have any strength problems with guys at all

dunno what you're talking about

Old
08-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackisback
I don't think saying a guy should add 10 pounds of muscle is thinking I know better. It's not like that will slow him down. I also disagree about bulking up slowing players down. It all depends on the player. Bertuzzi got quite a bit bigger over time and he dominates. Modano got bigger and he got better.

That theory might work for a smaller player who might not have the frame for adding weight. However, at 6'2 I think Tyutin has plenty of room to add some muscle. I also think sating bulking up isn't a good idea for a young player is foolish. You aren't going to be near your muscle peak at 20 to 24. If you remember in 1994, Keenan clearly made it clear most of the Rangers were totally out of shape. I see no reason with the country club we have had here for years that this isn't the case with many of our players.
I didn't say that bulking up isn't a good idea. I asked why do you think you know better than the professional trainers that are part of the Ranger organization? And what does a situation that occurred over 10 years ago have to do with the organization today? The players you mention all spent the bulk of their season at Hartford playing and working out for McGill. Plus, you don't (I assume) know these players personally and thus, don't know their specific situation.

There's more involved in becoming a better hockey player than just adding muscle.

Old
08-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Balej20*

It's been said that Lundmark's bulking up has slowed him down a good amount from when he was first drafted. And there are people here that want him to get even bigger. You gotta choose if you rather a guy be big, strong and a little slower, or just speedy and get pushed around.

Old
08-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Deeoogee

I agree with NYR469 on Tyutin's size. There's been several games where he's singlehandedly held off an opponent while stickhandling the puck along the boards. The kid's strength is deceptive.

Lampman and Moore don't need the bulk. They should work on their endurance and speed.

Old
08-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Fletch

Who said...

Lundmark's bulking-up slowed him down? That was said of Dube, but I haven't heard one person say that about Lundmark.

Old
08-08-2004, 11:49 PM
JJ68NYR

Lundmark NEEDS to bulk up he is just looks too skinny out there i know looks might me nothing to some but you cant be and intimidating scorer or intimidating to a defenseman when they see you with that body build.

Old
08-09-2004, 02:37 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Lundmark's bulking-up slowed him down? That was said of Dube, but I haven't heard one person say that about Lundmark.
Im pretty sure i said it, since it was only one line above the last post...

I heard that from JD last year, he has actually lost a step since adding muscle mass.

Old
08-09-2004, 07:10 AM
dumpsathernow*

"I agree with NYR469 on Tyutin's size. There's been several games where he's singlehandedly held off an opponent while stickhandling the puck along the boards. The kid's strength is deceptive.

Lampman and Moore don't need the bulk. They should work on their endurance and speed."

I believe both of these statements to be way off. Tyutin is nowhere near big or strong enough. I saw him get man handled by Philly trying to clear the crease. If you think a 20 year old kid on defense doesn't need to get bigger and stronger, you are kidding yourself.

Lampman and Moore both need to bulk up at least 15 to 20 pounds. Lampman 20 pounds for sure. He isn't even close to being big and strong enough to play defense in the NHL. He couldn't move anybody in front of the net.

Don't know what will happen if Lundmark bulks up. I'm not sure Jamie will score a ton of goals based on speed. He doesn't have incredible offensive skills. The one thing he does have is a very good shot. Perhaps it will benefit him to get stronger and start fighting for goals coming out of the corners and from in front.

Old
08-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Fletch

Balej...

the 'who said it'...implied someone other than a poster on this board (as the question was directed to you from your statment 'It's been said...'), such as an analyst, coach, or other. I never heard JD say he lost a step and couldn't tell from his play from one year to the next that he lost a step, personally.

Old
08-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackisback
"I agree with NYR469 on Tyutin's size. There's been several games where he's singlehandedly held off an opponent while stickhandling the puck along the boards. The kid's strength is deceptive.

Lampman and Moore don't need the bulk. They should work on their endurance and speed."

I believe both of these statements to be way off. Tyutin is nowhere near big or strong enough. I saw him get man handled by Philly trying to clear the crease. If you think a 20 year old kid on defense doesn't need to get bigger and stronger, you are kidding yourself.

Lampman and Moore both need to bulk up at least 15 to 20 pounds. Lampman 20 pounds for sure. He isn't even close to being big and strong enough to play defense in the NHL. He couldn't move anybody in front of the net.

Don't know what will happen if Lundmark bulks up. I'm not sure Jamie will score a ton of goals based on speed. He doesn't have incredible offensive skills. The one thing he does have is a very good shot. Perhaps it will benefit him to get stronger and start fighting for goals coming out of the corners and from in front.

I disagree with what you're saying here. Tyutin is at the very least 215lbs. He's strong, but inexperienced, don't be fooled.

Same goes for Lundmark. He has good offensive skills, but he hasn't played without training wheels since he's gotten into the Pro game. He has the skills, he's growing into a man's frame, he just needs to start playing his game.

Old
08-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I think people are underestimating the effect that the knee injury had on Lundmark's game, especially with his speed. Just because a player is on the ice does not mean that he's 100% healthy.

Old
08-09-2004, 12:31 PM
dumpsathernow*

Tyutin is strong but at 20 he can get stronger and add some more muscle. He has the frame for it.

I think the knee did hurt Lundmark a lot. It wouldn't be fair to say it didn't. I pray I'm wrong that he is a bust. I don't know if he has the mental level to score at the NHL level.

Old
08-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Levitate

tyutin is close to 220...at 6'2, 220 is a good weight...he's not gonna be like 240 or something, then he'd just be overweight. i'm not worried about his strength at all, it'll all come together as he plays more, he's right where he needs to be at...i just don't think there's a huge pressing need for him to "bulk up" right now, like i said it will all come together in time, right now it's more important for him to just learn the game at the NHL level

i'd put a lot less emphasis on weight of the prospects right now and more on where their game is...if they need to get stronger they will

Old
08-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
the 'who said it'...implied someone other than a poster on this board (as the question was directed to you from your statment 'It's been said...'), such as an analyst, coach, or other. I never heard JD say he lost a step and couldn't tell from his play from one year to the next that he lost a step, personally.
Sorry about that Fletch, miss understanding.

As for losing a step, i could have sworn i heard someone say that about him, if i ever come across an article or something, i'll post it. When he was drafted, wasn't he praised for his blazing speed? I just didn't see much of it last year

Old
08-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Fletch

I don't remember blazing speed...

I remember shiftiness...a guy who can dart in and out of traffic, but I don't remember him being touted as someone who'll outskate Amonte from a dead start.

I didn't really see much in terms of a lost step this past season from the prior season.

Old
08-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Balej20*

I actually saw it on TSN that he has blazing speed...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.a...70&hubname=NYR

Supposedly, we are gonna be seeing a tougher, meaner Lundmark this year.

Old
08-09-2004, 06:05 PM
dumpsathernow*

I wouldn't put much into what players are listed at. They lie. They listed Stevens at 6'3 for years. I saw him in a wine store once. He's lucky if he is 6'0. No way Tyutin is 220. No freakin way.

Old
08-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I think people are underestimating the effect that the knee injury had on Lundmark's game, especially with his speed. Just because a player is on the ice does not mean that he's 100% healthy.

Amen Kodiak, you don't come back from a knee injury like that in 4 months. He worked his ass off to come back which was a good sign but no way he was 100%, not even a the end of the season. Knee injuries even without surgery can take up to a year to completely heal.

Old
08-09-2004, 09:50 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
I actually saw it on TSN that he has blazing speed...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.a...70&hubname=NYR

Supposedly, we are gonna be seeing a tougher, meaner Lundmark this year.
Yea I hope so. Lundmark had alot of PIM and was mean in juniors. I wonder why he turned soft in the Pros. I know the leagues are alot different, and people are stronger so I wonder why he did not get stronger. If you fought in juniors and played tough, why not play the same in the Pros and get stronger as well.

Old
08-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Happens to a lot of kids. When you're facing off against centers who are 6'0, 185 pounds and 16-20 years old it is a lot easier than going against a center who is 6'3,220 and 6 years old than you.

But in order for him to be successful he needs to play with that fire he had especially in his draft year.

He doesn't necessarily need to drop the gloves a lot, but he needs to keep moving. Go to the net, go the slot, and maybe take some pushes and shoves in front of the net.

He needs to work on his balance and he needs to learn to not get pancacked. You can make it as a 6'0, 195 pounder in this league but you gotta learn that you simply aren't gonna win again a 6'4, 220 pound forward.

This is the year for Lundmark to really sink or swim. The icetime is all his at the center spot and there are no excuses if he cant get it going this year.

Closed Thread