HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke claims he was the one that nixed the deal for Gretzky in 1988

Old
08-12-2011, 10:36 AM
LuckyDay

vCash: 500
Burke claims he was the one that nixed the deal for Gretzky in 1988

TSN video here

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip514346#clip514346

highlights are from a TSN radio interview

He said it would have cost two of their top players (probably Linden?), three first round picks and "18 million bucks."

Additionally he claims that Quinn okayed it but Burke couldn't see how they could make it back without doubling the price of tickets.

--

As I recall it, the story to the press was the team heard Waynee was on the market and tried to get him with a better offer but there was already a deal in place with Bruce McNall in principal whom 99 had already become friends with. Unless it was 10x the offer, no way he was going anywhere else. I remember Gretz even acknowledged the teams interest in the interview. I'm sure it was just spin as a shout out to the fans.

I'm really not sure I believe Burke. When the old man (Arthur Griffiths Sr.) wanted to stick his nose into something he would - ie. firing Gary Smith, Petri Skriko, and refusing to let Harry Neale tank the season to get Wendel Clarke.

Would you have paid twice as much to see Gretzky? How many sweaters would you have bought (tho revenues for Canucks merchandise is shared across the league)? Would you care the Linden was gone? Who else could have gone with him in that era? Would Edmonton have signed Nedved with that pick?

Last edited by LuckyDay: 08-12-2011 at 10:43 AM.
LuckyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
I believe it. No reason to lie. After the Quinn fiasco with Gretzky in 1996 this seems realistic.

Quinn was a goof for not vetoing his Assistant GM. Gretzky would've changed the culture and face of the francise. love Linden, but Wayne was still in his prime. And with Larionov there it would've been a deadly 1-2 punch at center.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Tretiak 20

vCash: 2240
Linden was just drafted so I'm not sure it would be him based on Burke's comments about Edmonton asking for 2 of their top 5 players. If I had to guess, I think it would be Barry Pederson (a centre to replace Gretzky) and one of Toni Tanti/Greg Adams.

So the trade could have been:

EDM:
-Barry Pederson
-Toni Tanti/Greg Adams
-1989 First (Jason Herter)
-1990 First (Petr Nedved)
-1991 First (Alek Stojanov)
-$18 Million

VAN:
-Wayne Gretzky
-Marty McSorley
-Mike Krushelnyski

What could have been...

EDIT: In the actual trade EDM got LA's picks every second year (1989, 1991, 1993). Going by that, VAN gives up:

-1993 First (Mike Wilson)

All relative though.

Last edited by Tretiak 20: 08-12-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Tretiak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 325
Gretzky+Linden+Bure on the same team

We would have been a dynasty.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:54 AM
FloydTheBarber

In the end, the Kings never won anything, and it's likely the Canucks would not have either.

Just be happy with the fact that Gretzky going to the Kings improved the exposure of the hockey to a bigger audience.

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
In the end, the Kings never won anything, and it's likely the Canucks would not have either.
Just be happy with the fact that Gretzky going to the Kings improved the exposure of the hockey to a bigger audience.
That is a questionable leap in logic.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

I think the 1996 one upset me more only because I remember Wayne stating he felt he was going to be a Canuck. he want to play with Pavel, whom he said was the best goal scorer in the game.... and Quinn messed that up by insisting he sign at that moment.

What an insecure guy. If wayne agreed in principle, I am pretty sure his character would've been enough to know he would not back out.

Wetcoaster is bang on about Quinn though in terms of his own insecurities and integrity.

Old
08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:

We made it to the Game 7 of the SCF in 1994. Obviously you can't say with Gretzky we would have definitely won it, but it certainly would have made us a better team in '94.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Whiskeyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I think the 1996 one upset me more only because I remember Wayne stating he felt he was going to be a Canuck. he want to play with Pavel, whom he said was the best goal scorer in the game.... and Quinn messed that up by insisting he sign at that moment.
Wow, I don't remember any of this at all. This is all I could find on the subject http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-796714.html

Can anyone direct me to anything else? I wouldn't mind reading up on it.

Whiskeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:42 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

I beg the differ. Gretzky led the Kings to the SCF in 1993. I'm willing to bet, as long as we still had Linden, Bure, Ronning, Courtnall, Momesso, Lumme, McLean, etc. that we would have won the Cup in 1994.

08-12-2011, 11:45 AM
momo

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I beg the differ. Gretzky led the Kings to the SCF in 1993. I'm willing to bet, as long as we still had Linden, Bure, Ronning, Courtnall, Momesso, Lumme, McLean, etc. that we would have won the Cup in 1994.
What are the chances of Vancouver getting Gretzky without giving 2 or more of these players you named?

momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:47 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo View Post
What are the chances of Vancouver getting Gretzky without giving 2 or more of these players you named?
Well if you read this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretiak 20 View Post
Linden was just drafted so I'm not sure it would be him based on Burke's comments about Edmonton asking for 2 of their top 5 players. If I had to guess, I think it would be Barry Pederson (a centre to replace Gretzky) and one of Toni Tanti/Greg Adams.

So the trade could have been:

EDM:
-Barry Pederson
-Toni Tanti/Greg Adams
-1990 First (Petr Nedved)
-$18 Million

VAN:
-Wayne Gretzky
-Marty McSorley
-Mike Krushelnyski

What could have been...

EDIT: In the actual trade EDM got LA's picks every second year (1989, 1991, 1993). Going by that, VAN gives up:

-1993 First (Mike Wilson)

All relative though.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:52 AM
m9

All this thread does is remind me how bad our drafting was back then. Ugh.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
Wow, I don't remember any of this at all. This is all I could find on the subject http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-796714.html

Can anyone direct me to anything else? I wouldn't mind reading up on it.
He stated it in an interview when he retired on CBC the national I believe. I just wanted to punch Quinn in the face.

He agreed to the contract, had to sleep on it, but was going to sign it the next day. Quinn felt because of the delay Wayne was using it as Leverage for the Rangers, which as wayne stated was his right. he was an UFA.

Wayne would've brought a breathe of fresh air, similar to what MG has with the team right now. But Pavel may not have wanted to leave and the francise may have taken a very different course.

Old
08-12-2011, 12:13 PM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
We made it to the Game 7 of the SCF in 1994. Obviously you can't say with Gretzky we would have definitely won it, but it certainly would have made us a better team in '94.
Wow imagine Gretzky vs Messier for the cup.

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:14 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
He stated it in an interview when he retired on CBC the national I believe. I just wanted to punch Quinn in the face.

He agreed to the contract, had to sleep on it, but was going to sign it the next day. Quinn felt because of the delay Wayne was using it as Leverage for the Rangers, which as wayne stated was his right. he was an UFA.

Wayne would've brought a breathe of fresh air, similar to what MG has with the team right now. But Pavel may not have wanted to leave and the francise may have taken a very different course.
While Gretzky's career only lasted 3 more seasons at that point, I believe he did also mention that he would have delayed his retirement if the Rangers would have acquired Pavel Bure. That would lead me to believe that had he signed in Vancouver he would have prolonged his career as well.

Mogilny-Gretzky-Bure
Gelinas-Linden-Courtnall
Naslund-Ridley-Tikkanen
Odjick-Bohonos-Walker

Lumme-Murzyn
Aucoin-Hedican
Babych-Joseph

McLean
Hirsch

Not a bad lineup. Goaltending at that point would have been our weakness, but with that forward group going 3 lines deep with offense I'm sure we would have been fine.

y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
m9

^Too much toughness on the 4th line. Detroit is the best team in the league and wins every cup and they don't have tough guys. Because of this, that lineup would never win.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:30 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Didn't the Gretzky trade to LA have something to do with his wife? We certainly missed the boat the next time around but I'm not so sure on that first trade... even if there was something there for Burke to veto it doesn't mean Edmonton would have accepted. I doubt they'd want to trade Gretzky to a rival Canadian city anyways.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Wisp

18 million bucks was a years ticket earnings back then. Yoweezowee.

I dunno, we all want to win, and i think we can all agree Gretzky would certainly have helped that, but that's the sort of money that maybe kills a franchise in it's infancy - you'll remeber it spent a lot of years just hanging on.

You could argue it's an investment, and crowds would flock to a team of that calibre, but at the same time, it would have been a giant gamble. Who can say?

That said, you can't change the past. No chamionships remains agonizing, but the old Canucks regime was rotten, and it needed to go down. The one that is built in it's place has a much brighter future, one That I feel pretty good about.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:00 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I dunno, we all want to win, and i think we can all agree Gretzky would certainly have helped that, but that's the sort of money that maybe kills a franchise in it's infancy - you'll remeber it spent a lot of years just hanging on.
How long does a franchise's infancy last? The Canucks would have been entering their 19th season that year.. The LA Kings are just 3 years older than the Canucks, meaning they acquired Gretzky just before their 22nd season.. It appears they survived..

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

What an insecure guy. If wayne agreed in principle, I am pretty sure his character would've been enough to know he would not back out.

Wetcoaster is bang on about Quinn though in terms of his own insecurities and integrity.
Gretzky has been clear from the day that negotiations broke down that he was not playing the Canucks against the Rangers and that he intended to sign with Vancouver. He was taken by surprise when the Canucks unilaterally declared the negotiations over and pulled their offer. The sudden ultimatum took him unawares.
After such a discussion (with Quinn on their respective hockey philosophies), how such a fist was produced at 1:30 a.m. -- leaving the Great One in the predicament of having to accept an offer on the spot -- is difficult to comprehend.

It certainly took the 35-year-old legend by surprise and in the end, the implications of such a move left him with the wrong feelings.

"I guess it comes down to your gut feeling when you have to make a decision like that and I made it and I'm happy with that decision today," said Gretzky Saturday. "My guess is they were thinking we were going to take their offer and use it but we came to Seattle with the intention of concluding a deal."
"To think I was going to take one offer and say this team will give me so much what will you give me to another team is not the way I would work because each city, each situation is completely unique," says Gretzky. "Vancouver is different from San Jose and New York. They're all totally different with their own considerations. They all try to work it out with their own economics of the game. We didn't have a concrete offer from New York until Friday" ( after the ultimatum and after Canucks pulled their offer).
The heartbreaking part from the point of a Vancouver fan is that Gretzky did not intend to leave Seattle without a deal, even after the late-night removal of the offer.

It was essentially their idea that the parties would get together in the morning and see if there was room to continue. According to both Gretzky and his agent Mike Barnett, they had no return reservations to L.A. until they were informed of the Canucks' announcement that talks had broken off. Both claim it wasn't until they got back to L.A. that they began bread-and-butter number talks on deferments and marketing rights with the Rangers.

What caused the Canucks to put a gun to the Great One's head will probably never be known. But it certainly would have been nice to see Gretzky passing the puck to the other gifted Canucks forwards.
Gretzky passes: Canucks may have erred in putting Great One on the spot: [Final Edition] Gallagher, Tony - The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 21 July 1996: page 39.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
How long does a franchise's infancy last? The Canucks would have been entering their 19th season that year.. The LA Kings are just 3 years older than the Canucks, meaning they acquired Gretzky just before their 22nd season.. It appears they survived..
In it's infancy = before it became the hockey town it is today.

It's only in the last 10 years it's really come into it's own.

And LA had owners who could afford Gretzky at the time. Obviously we didn't.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:37 PM
jimmythescot

I think I'm gonna be sick. It would save a lot of time if someone at hfboards just made a smiley of Burke being chased by an angry Vancouverite mob.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Didn't the Gretzky trade to LA have something to do with his wife?
Of the couple documentaries about the trade, the driving force was that Gretzky was a year away from free agency and Edmonton was worried that he'd leave with no compensation. The other catalyst was Peter Pocklington losing money through other business ventures. Previous Kings owner Jerry Buss has made a semi-serious offer previously to essentially buy Gretzky. New Kings owner Bruce McNall revisited those talks and Pocklington was now willing to listen.

A lot of people thought/still think Janet Gretzky forced a trade because of her aspiring acting career. But she's quick to point out that she most of the next fifteen years barefoot and pregnant (children born in 88/90/92/00/03, thus not having any time to be an actress.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:11 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

two of their top players (probably Linden?), three first round picks and 18 million bucks.

I can see them turning that down. Especially the 18 million part.

The other 1996 one is the worse one. That still irks me.

Gretzky with Bure. Holy **** that would have been insane.