HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Are the supreme one80 skates worth the extra $100 over one70?

Old
08-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Hal2000

vCash: 500
Are the supreme one80 skates worth the extra $100 over one70?

I will be purchasing either the one70 skate or one80 and am looking for some insight here

Hal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Heat McManus

depends on how often you're playing, at what level, what age you are, height/weight....

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Zdeno33Lucic*
BruWins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
depends on how often you're playing, at what level, what age you are, height/weight....
this, i sell hockey equipment, i know what you want

but the one 80 are a lot lighter and more solid, i'd go with them

Zdeno33Lucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Rem
this face

I'm also interested in knowing the answer to this question.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but can Heat and Dougie check my thread and help out any?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=966497

thanks.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
I think the One70 is a top end skate for beginner/intermediate skaters. If you're very heavy an experienced skater I believe the One80 and above are better suited. Of course, it's best to try them on and feel it before you make a decision.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I think the One70 is a top end skate for beginner/intermediate skaters. If you're very heavy an experienced skater I believe the One80 and above are better suited. Of course, it's best to try them on and feel it before you make a decision.
Basically.

Here's my thoughts and experiences on both models.

The One70, like it's predecessor the One55 is an amazing skate. Very durable yet it does not weight a ton and performs well. Very popular with beer league guys who play 2-3 times a week. Really good for kids who are and playing up to mid-tier travel. By the time they beat them down they are have grown out of them. I've also had a lot of customers who like them because they are not as stiff as higher models and feel closer to an older skate.

The One80 is a very stiff skate. There's a greater jump IMO from the One70->One80 than the One60->One70. This skate will perform better, is lighter, but will take longer to break in. I've seen a good amount of kids bring these in at the end of the season and there's almost no break down, so in general I feel like most youth players don't benefit from this skate as much.

While they are the same general fit, the One80 doesn't have as much negative space being more anatomically formed.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Piggybacking on what Heat said, if you're a heavier player (say over 175 pounds) the One80 might have an edge in durability, while a lighter player could save some cash with the cheaper skate.

I know at my weight (185, ideally 165) a top end skate would last at least 5-7 years. But my uncle, who played juniors and was a championship bodybuilder and is now 275 pounds, he's going to need a top end skate at least every other year.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 03:59 AM
Fred89

I am exactly 175 pounds, looking to upgrade to One70 from a cheap One20, i've become a quite average skater this year with them but now i need the jump to improve my skills and to play.
I think One70 will be okay, can you tell me if that can be right guys?

Because i don't see any reason to invest 100$ more since i'll starting playing the game now.

Fred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 08:26 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Depends on how good a skater you are. You won't be able to get the most out of that skate unless you're a pretty good skater, and you'll need to be even better to eke the best out of a top end skate. If you're not that great a skater, you'll still get the lightness and better durability, but that may or may not make enough difference to you to justify the price.

Personally, I'm a great skater, and have discovered that top end skates really do make a difference for me, even though I'm a small guy and the conventional wisdom on here is that light guys don't need tons of stiffness. That may be true for an average skater, but not for those of us who can really use that stiffness. So for me, spending that extra money to get a top end model (on closeout, anyway) is worth it. Whether it's worth it for you is something only you can really decide.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Fred89

I want a durable skate that will last atleast 2-3 years and that will be good even when i'll be a better skater, but don't want a very stiff skate and almost top end because it will be hard to master for the first times.
Plus since i'll probably won't play games for the first 4-6 monthsm they won't wear down as easier as with playing.
I've been able to skate well with One 20s even if some things weren't undoable (like t-stopping on one foot or do really tight turns) due to their none stiffness

Old
08-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think you'll be just fine in the One70's...just make sure they fit perfect and your heel doesn't move around in the boot!

Old
08-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Rem
this face

Thanks for the responses both here and my thread. I can't wait to go skate shopping!!! Has to wait until Hawaii next month though

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Fred89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think you'll be just fine in the One70's...just make sure they fit perfect and your heel doesn't move around in the boot!
In my One20s the heel is the only thing that dont move

That's because they've been purchased by my friend according to my foot size and size chart, and i purchased a size more, so they're a little bit long.
but heel lock is definitively better than on vapor (i've RX 05 inlines) and i like the fit and traditional stance..

I'll just stick with the 7D or 7.5D (i've 8R right now but they're a bit big) and it should be fine!

Anyway, thank you for your advice Jarick, much appreciated!

Old
08-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Lalander977

A little OT but what would be the difference between the one80 and the Vapor 6:0 ?

Lalander977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Fred89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalander977 View Post
A little OT but what would be the difference between the one80 and the Vapor 6:0 ?
I'd say FIT for sure, materials are pretty similar, holder and blade are the same.. probably the main difference is fit and stance, plus if i'm not wrong, the tongue that is not a felt tongue.. but don't take me serious on the last thing, i'm not sure.

For fit i mean width, arch, volume, heel lock etc..

Old
08-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Lalander977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred89 View Post
I'd say FIT for sure, materials are pretty similar, holder and blade are the same.. probably the main difference is fit and stance, plus if i'm not wrong, the tongue that is not a felt tongue.. but don't take me serious on the last thing, i'm not sure.

For fit i mean width, arch, volume, heel lock etc..
Yeah you're right, the X:60 doesn't have a felt tongue...

Lalander977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Fred89

Just checked out, hadn't time before and they have the form fit 2 tongue.
Doesn't look bad but definitively felt tongue is really nice imho.
Anyway if you need to choose between those two, try both them because they're really different, even if they came from the same manufacturer.
My thought was between One60 and One70, but i think i've already solved the problem and i'll go with 70

Old
08-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Different fit. Supremes are built for a more pronounced and narrower heel with a wider forefoot while the Vapors are built for a regular heel with a narrow forefoot.