Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2011-2012 season Thread

Old
12-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Nullus Reverentia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
So you never liked Don Hay and you're blaming Don Hay because Ryan Murphy didn't make the team and because in your convoluted logic Hay is trying to ruin him. I find it interesting you don't put any of the onus on Murphy himself who hasn't played well. Hay was with Murphy for a few days and you come to this conclusion? Don Hay has had good teams but the guy paid his dues. Before coaching those Blazer teams during their dynasty he served 6 years as an assistant coach with the Blazers. He helped develop those players into those great teams.

Yes he didn't last long in the NHL but as the saying goes you get hired to be fired. He went back to juniors and has had a great run with Vancouver. How can you blame Don Hay for Ryan Murphy when Hay has a track record that is pretty much one of the best you will find in junior hockey. Why aren't you saying these same things about Steve Spott who obviously isn't getting the most out of Ryan Murphy? Fact is Murphy hasn't played well at all this year, the onus is on himself and nobody else. It's not Spott's fault, Hay's fault it starts and ends with Murphy.
It's not about Murphy. I could care less if he did or didn't make the team. My problem is he was set up to fail by a coaching staff who tried to change the most dynamic offensive defense in over a decade into a defense first player. They didn't want him to make the team virtue of that, or else they would have tried to fit his game into the coaching style.

And I've never said I like Spott either, but at least he has shown, and does show, that he'll play Murphy to his strenghs, which Don Hay would not do. I'm not worried about how he's played, he's had some tough injuries and his time.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
It's not about Murphy. I could care less if he did or didn't make the team. My problem is he was set up to fail by a coaching staff who tried to change the most dynamic offensive defense in over a decade into a defense first player. They didn't want him to make the team virtue of that, or else they would have tried to fit his game into the coaching style.

And I've never said I like Spott either, but at least he has shown, and does show, that he'll play Murphy to his strenghs, which Don Hay would not do. I'm not worried about how he's played, he's had some tough injuries and his time.
That's a good one.

Change "the most" to "one of" and you're statement will be correct.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Smashhouse92

its hard going from pending 2 weeks in NHL Practices then comming back down the OHL Then he gets a Cuncussion then go to WJ Camp

Smashhouse92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 06:59 PM
EvenSteven

I'd be surprised if Murphy is traded at the deadline, but not as surprised as I was prior to the last couple of weeks.

Considering how we've played without him in the lineup, the question has to be asked: "Can we be a better team this year and next by dealing him now?"

Personally, if I'm dealing Murphy this year, then I need back two quality forwards, preferrably a 92 and a 93. The 92 has to have a good chance at playing an OA season next year. I wouldn't be against getting back a d-man if that guy is their best young player (see below).

Murphy going one way and the players coming back would be the principles in the deals below. Picks/players either way may or may not be added.

The absolute #1 team in the west, as far as I'm concerned, is Plymouth. They are the most veteran team. They are built for this year and can afford to deal for a Murphy since are all in for this year. London and Sarnia are contenders this year, but are younger than the Whalers and therefore, may not be so inclined to part with the assets required to do a major deal for Murphy. As a result, the only team I see Murphy being dealt to in the west is Plymouth.

Therefore, in any deal with Plymouth for Ryan Murphy, both 95LW- Mitchell Dempsey and 94RW- Tom Wilson have to come the other way or I do not deal with Plymouth - period. You won't get any of their good 93/92 players as they are going for it this year and they are already integral parts to their team.

In the East, Niagara is far and away the team "going for it" this year.

So, in any deal with Plymouth for Ryan Murphy, 94D- Jesse Graham and Niagara's Ist round import pick in 2013 must come the other way, Also, this deal would be done early enough for Spott to turn that import pick over to acquire help up front .

In any deal with Ottawa for Ryan Murphy, 94C-Sean Monahan must come the other way or there is no deal.

Rumor has it that ownership in Oshawa has told Chris DiPiero to blow it up. If that is the case, they may be looking for a Murphy deal to get a little younger and mix it up as this team is underacheiving.

In any deal for Murphy, 92RW- Christion Thomas and one of '93LW Lucas Lessio or 93C- Boone Jenner have to be the principals of the deal. Like Murphy, Lessio will be back next year while Thomas has a chance to as an OA. Just because he scored 50 goals last year doesn't mean he 100% won't play an OA season (see Dale Mitchell).

I like this deal the best as it makes us better this year and next - especially if Thomas is returned for an OA season.

At the end of the day though, I'm betting Murphy isn't going anywhere. In all likelyhood, Spott will try and improve the team by picking up a couple of decent forwards with size who can play on our 2nd/3rd lines. If Murphy isn't moved, don't be surprised if another young d-man or two is moved to make this happen. Spott isn't picking up d-men - especially puck moving d-men - for nothing. Could Iafrate and/or McEneny be moved to get us our help up front. If Eden and Midensky are as advertised, then doesn't that make these two guys expendable?

We'll see.

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:36 PM
EvenSteven

Any word in Rangerland whether Stephan Midensky will be in the lineup tomorrow night in Windsor? Upon his signing, the Rangers said he'd be joining the team after the Christmas break.

Old
12-28-2011, 07:44 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Any word in Rangerland whether Stephan Midensky will be in the lineup tomorrow night in Windsor? Upon his signing, the Rangers said he'd be joining the team after the Christmas break.
Spoke to troy smith in Windsor at the -17,said he would be in the lineup

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:30 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Spoke to troy smith in Windsor at the -17,said he would be in the lineup
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Old
12-31-2011, 07:37 PM
EvenSteven

The trade deadline and what I'd like the Rangers to do:

First off, don't trade Murphy. With next year being our year, we'll need him around when guys like Sol and Melchiori have graduated - and the likelihood that 94D-Jacob Trouba doesn't report.

We must deal with the expectation that the players you acquire will be here next year. Therefore, if we're dealing for veteran help, that means probably '92 born players who are likely to return for OA seasons.

We have to operate as if Murphy and Gibson are not coming back next year. Are they? I think they are and would be very surprised if both aren't returned. But in 2009-10 we expected to have Skinner and Morin back for 2010-11 and look what happened. Therefore, you hope for the best, expect the worst, and try and make the improvement needed to help for this year's playoff run without hurting next year's team.

Therefore, we also don't trade Palazzese at the deadline. In the event Gibson isn't returned, he'd be the starter (and has certainly shown he's good enough) with Moylan as backup. Once Gibson is returned though next fall, Palazzese would be a good chip to deal in improving next year's team. He is having a hell of a run this year and would be a good candidate to be a starter in this league next year.

It's veteran size up front where we are lacking. I'd like to improve our top nine with a couple of wingers. How? We are deep now on the backend with the signing of Midensky and the probable signing of Mitchell Eden (seen at last night's game wearing Ranger swag). That will be 11 d-men total including McEneny who is out with season ending knee surgery. This means any value we have to pick up help up front will come from the back end.

Considering we have good, young, puck moving d-men in 93-Murphy, 93-Fanelli, 94-McEneny, 94-Iafrate, and 95-Gilbert and with 94-Midensky and 94-Eden being the same kind of players, perhaps one of Iafrate or McEneny could be moved as the primary players in a deal.

Guys I'd like to bring in are 92LW-Riley Brace and 92RW-Derek Shoenmakers from the fast falling Mississauga Majors. Both have size. Both are having good years offensively. Both have huge playoff experience from last year. Neither are NHL drafted which means both are prospective OA's next year. These aren't guys in the neighborhood of Spooner/McKegg and the like and therefore, shouldn't cost near as much.

I think we'd have to send a good young 94 d-man, a depth d-man, and one of the raft of undersized forwards who we currently have taking up space on our roster today and maybe mid round pick(s).

Would a deal sending 94D-Iafrate, 93F-Francisco, one of 94D-Young/94D-Genovese and a pick or two be enough to get a deal done with Missy for these guys?

This is how our forward group would look like after such a deal:

93-Thomson / OA-Catenacci / 93-Rieder
92-Brace / 92-Crescenzi / 94-Marcantuoni
93-Lorentz / 94-Faksa / 92-Shoenmakers
95-Pederson / 95-Sterk / 93-Ming

94C-Meighan, 93RW-Clampitt, 94RW-Lesway, in that order, would be depth players.
93RW-Grant back to junior B

That forward group, I believe, would compete with Plymouth in a seven game series.

Old
01-03-2012, 11:19 AM
KnightRanger

Of all the trade rumours currently circulating, I'm not hearing of many deals that involve any of the Rangers players. Has anyone heard anything of any potential deals?

I wish I had a little more confidence in Spott at the deadline. History is not the greatest!

Are we buying or selling?

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRanger View Post
Of all the trade rumours currently circulating, I'm not hearing of many deals that involve any of the Rangers players. Has anyone heard anything of any potential deals?

I wish I had a little more confidence in Spott at the deadline. History is not the greatest!

Are we buying or selling?
I'm not sure with the 140+/- man games lost to injuries if Spott actually knows what type of team he has or the "needs".
It's been reported that both Sarnia and London has been trying to pry Sol away but they want Spott to roll over on what he takes back.
IMHO...I rather not trade Sol unless we get something subsyantial back + picks. (Sarnia...Ritchie or Boucher + picks) (London...Donnay or Fox + picks)
Not sure if Hunter really has to make a trade but Sarnia sure does!

Ward Cornell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
aresknights

Rumor has Ritchie moving for 3 2nds (belleville?) and Donnay to Spits for Roberston.
Just rumors at this point.
But i agree, they cant give him away. IF they cant get a body and picks for Sol they maybe better off holding on to him and add a couple depth Fs and try and ride the goaltending.
Read somewhere Spotts asking price is sky high, so teams will look elsewhere first but may come back later in the week as options are removed

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Read somewhere Spotts asking price is sky high, so teams will look elsewhere first but may come back later in the week as options are removed
Yeah....they could be sky-high since he's neither a buyer or a seller.
Probably letting the marketplace dictate what Spott will be doing.
No sense in not being skyhigh when you don't have to sell.

For me.....meh, either way!

* maybe Sarnia needs those picks to complete another trade for either a dman and/or hopefully a goalie.
Maxwell just won't carry that team.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:05 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
* maybe Sarnia needs those picks to complete another trade for either a dman and/or hopefully a goalie.
Maxwell just won't carry that team.

Beaulieau likely needs those picks from Belleville in the rumored Ritchie deal if they want to revisit acquiring Stajcer. OS are asking a lot for him and those three seconds plus whatever would go a long way in completing that deal.

As far as the Rangers go, I'm torn with whether to buy or sell. My first choice is to do as I said in my prior post: Additions to help this year and next. However, Spott has to listen to any offers for his veterans.

If he can get big return for Sol, for instance, maybe he has to do it. But no way can to get robbed on that deal. Outside of John Gibson, Sol has been our MVP this year. He is one of the few who hasn't been hurt. He is consistantly playing against everyone's top lines and has a bigtime +/- to show for it. He kills penalties. He is seeing time on the PP. He is taking 2, 5, and 10's when needed for the right reasons.

Maybe Spott will drag it out as long as possible in an attempt to see what others in the conference do. As it stands today, Plymouth is the only team I think we lose a 7 game series to in our conference. That could change if Sarnia picks up Stajcer, the veteran d-man they need, and the rumored Spooner deal happens. If all that shakes down, does Spott be more inclined to sell since the conference would have become tougher?

This will be a long week!

Old
01-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Beaulieau likely needs those picks from Belleville in the rumored Ritchie deal if they want to revisit acquiring Stajcer. OS are asking a lot for him and those three seconds plus whatever would go a long way in completing that deal.

As far as the Rangers go, I'm torn with whether to buy or sell. My first choice is to do as I said in my prior post: Additions to help this year and next. However, Spott has to listen to any offers for his veterans.

If he can get big return for Sol, for instance, maybe he has to do it. But no way can to get robbed on that deal. Outside of John Gibson, Sol has been our MVP this year. He is one of the few who hasn't been hurt. He is consistantly playing against everyone's top lines and has a bigtime +/- to show for it. He kills penalties. He is seeing time on the PP. He is taking 2, 5, and 10's when needed for the right reasons.

Maybe Spott will drag it out as long as possible in an attempt to see what others in the conference do. As it stands today, Plymouth is the only team I think we lose a 7 game series to in our conference. That could change if Sarnia picks up Stajcer, the veteran d-man they need, and the rumored Spooner deal happens. If all that shakes down, does Spott be more inclined to sell since the conference would have become tougher?

This will be a long week!
With all the injuries the Rangers had and the players slowly coming back it will seems like Spott made all kinds of trades.
Like I said above...unless Spott gets an offer he can't refuse then he shouldn't make any trades........especially if the team is in the West.

I'm also hoping the Rangers are flying under the other GM's radar as they are flying under the other teams fans radar!

Old
01-04-2012, 08:40 PM
EvenSteven

The Record's Josh Brown has listed what appears to be his opinion on who the trade bait is with the Rangers.

He's listed Ryan Murphy, Cody Sol, Matia Marcantuoni, and Franky Palazzese.

Therefore, since I have time on my hands....

IMO, The one guy I'd refuse to deal, whether we are buyers or sellers this year, is Franky. Why? Well if we are going for it this year, we'll need him as the veteran backup that we'd want going into a long playoff run. All I have to mention are the names Dan Turple(05), John Murray(07), Steve Mason(08), and Brandon Maxwell(11) and you get why we need a very good backup.

If we're not going for it this year but are next year, we need to hang onto him for next year's run for the same reason as above PLUS we need to make sure we have a veteran starter in the event that Gibson isn't returned from the Ducks organization. (He falls under the same designation as Jeremy Morin did last year meaning he can play in the AHL).

If we are going for it this year, then IMO, we cannot move Cody Sol. No way. No how. He is just too valuable to the team period. (Note my above thoughts on Sol). If Spott decides he has a deal he can't refuse with Sol for younger players, and therefore is displaying that he is more interested in focusing on next year, then I think he carry on and deal Melchiori too. He'd bring at least what Adrian Robertson brought the Spits in the deal with Sarnia and probably more. If we deal our two OA d-men, which would make us sellers, then I'd listen to offers on Catenacci as well.

As far as Matia goes, Spott has to decide what Matia is going to bring to this team going forward. Last year he was OK in a year not a lot was expected out of him. But this is his draft year and with two concussions and a shoulder injury to date (two injury types that go a long way in giving many the notion a player may be injury prone), not to mention poor offensive numbers, Spott has to decide whether this player, who was hyped as the best forward available in the OHL draft at the time, can be that player or not and act accordingly. If teams covet him, as Brown said in his article, then perhaps Spott can see just what kind of return he can get for him.

I'd trade Ryan Murphy 2011-12 edition for the Ryan Murphy 2009-10 edition in a heartbeat. He was great in those playoffs two years ago and it couldn't have been only because he played with John Moore on the PP.

Seriously though, in September, most fans would have thought all these Murphy trade rumors would have been crazy talk considering the first two seasons he's had in the OHL. Since his return from Carolina, more and more people are moving over to the "at least see what you can get for him" camp as each game goes on. The team has played great without him in the lineup which begs the question, "Do we need him on the blueline to win this year and next?" The development of Ben Fanelli and Max Iafrate in the 1st half of the season hasn't gone unnoticed when you talk of the depth of our defense.

The opposition has been targetting Murphy more this year than ever before. He may have taken 5 hard hits during his 1st two seasons but this year he's taken probably double that in a quarter of the games. He used to be a master at being unpredictable enough leading the rush out of the Ranger zone that the opposition couldn't really get to him to put hard hits on him legally. This year, it seems that the opposition pretty much knows he'll rush the puck everytime so now they're able to get to him much more often.

Would a Murphy trade bring in the pieces needed to help us this year and next? As Spott said, we could use young size on the wings. Could Murphy be moved for a winger the same age and pedigree? You know, the kind of deal that helps both teams. D-man for forward. Let's throw this out there: Perhaps a blockbuster deal involving Murphy for 93C-Boone Jenner as the principles wouldn't be out of the question. We'd get the big, young forward we need for this year and next and the Gens could upgrade their defense, which is lacking since the graduation of Calvin DeHaan, this year and next. (I'm thinking Jenner and Faksa on the same line with one of them taking the wing. How does that sound?).

A couple weeks ago, Mike Farwell said on the post game show that he thought a deal involving Murphy, in his opinion, was 50/50 at that point. I found that interesting. When I heard that I thought "No way! Never Happen! Why would you trade Murphy away?" Then I got to thinking. Farwell is closer to the team than most. He travels with them on the road and is around them often at home at the rink. Could he be picking up a vibe from the coaching staff or players that maybe a Murphy trade wouldn't be so far fetched. I'm not here to say that there may be bad blood or whatever in the room or not between Murphy and whoever. I'm just wondering if Farwell has detected something could be amiss.....

Being around the team/coaching staff, does Farwell get a feeling or vibe that Spott & company feel Murphy may have plateaued and it's time to maybe sell high?

One thing is for sure. Spott has been accumulating young d-men to the point where we now have 11 in total if you include the injured McEneny and the yet to be signed Mitchell Eden. If he is to do any dealing at all to get size up front, the assets going the other way will obviously be coming from the backend.

Old
01-04-2012, 09:25 PM
KnightRanger

Quote:
The Record's Josh Brown has listed what appears to be his opinion on who the trade bait is with the Rangers.

He's listed Ryan Murphy, Cody Sol, Matia Marcantuoni, and Franky Palazzese.

Therefore, since I have time on my hands....

IMO, The one guy I'd refuse to deal, whether we are buyers or sellers this year, is Franky. Why? Well if we are going for it this year, we'll need him as the veteran backup that we'd want going into a long playoff run. All I have to mention are the names Dan Turple(05), John Murray(07), Steve Mason(08), and Brandon Maxwell(11) and you get why we need a very good backup.

If we're not going for it this year but are next year, we need to hang onto him for next year's run for the same reason as above PLUS we need to make sure we have a veteran starter in the event that Gibson isn't returned from the Ducks organization. (He falls under the same designation as Jeremy Morin did last year meaning he can play in the AHL).

If we are going for it this year, then IMO, we cannot move Cody Sol. No way. No how. He is just too valuable to the team period. (Note my above thoughts on Sol). If Spott decides he has a deal he can't refuse with Sol for younger players, and therefore is displaying that he is more interested in focusing on next year, then I think he carry on and deal Melchiori too. He'd bring at least what Adrian Robertson brought the Spits in the deal with Sarnia and probably more. If we deal our two OA d-men, which would make us sellers, then I'd listen to offers on Catenacci as well.

As far as Matia goes, Spott has to decide what Matia is going to bring to this team going forward. Last year he was OK in a year not a lot was expected out of him. But this is his draft year and with two concussions and a shoulder injury to date (two injury types that go a long way in giving many the notion a player may be injury prone), not to mention poor offensive numbers, Spott has to decide whether this player, who was hyped as the best forward available in the OHL draft at the time, can be that player or not and act accordingly. If teams covet him, as Brown said in his article, then perhaps Spott can see just what kind of return he can get for him.

I'd trade Ryan Murphy 2011-12 edition for the Ryan Murphy 2009-10 edition in a heartbeat. He was great in those playoffs two years ago and it couldn't have been only because he played with John Moore on the PP.

Seriously though, in September, most fans would have thought all these Murphy trade rumors would have been crazy talk considering the first two seasons he's had in the OHL. Since his return from Carolina, more and more people are moving over to the "at least see what you can get for him" camp as each game goes on. The team has played great without him in the lineup which begs the question, "Do we need him on the blueline to win this year and next?" The development of Ben Fanelli and Max Iafrate in the 1st half of the season hasn't gone unnoticed when you talk of the depth of our defense.

The opposition has been targetting Murphy more this year than ever before. He may have taken 5 hard hits during his 1st two seasons but this year he's taken probably double that in a quarter of the games. He used to be a master at being unpredictable enough leading the rush out of the Ranger zone that the opposition couldn't really get to him to put hard hits on him legally. This year, it seems that the opposition pretty much knows he'll rush the puck everytime so now they're able to get to him much more often.

Would a Murphy trade bring in the pieces needed to help us this year and next? As Spott said, we could use young size on the wings. Could Murphy be moved for a winger the same age and pedigree? You know, the kind of deal that helps both teams. D-man for forward. Let's throw this out there: Perhaps a blockbuster deal involving Murphy for 93C-Boone Jenner as the principles wouldn't be out of the question. We'd get the big, young forward we need for this year and next and the Gens could upgrade their defense, which is lacking since the graduation of Calvin DeHaan, this year and next. (I'm thinking Jenner and Faksa on the same line with one of them taking the wing. How does that sound?).

A couple weeks ago, Mike Farwell said on the post game show that he thought a deal involving Murphy, in his opinion, was 50/50 at that point. I found that interesting. When I heard that I thought "No way! Never Happen! Why would you trade Murphy away?" Then I got to thinking. Farwell is closer to the team than most. He travels with them on the road and is around them often at home at the rink. Could he be picking up a vibe from the coaching staff or players that maybe a Murphy trade wouldn't be so far fetched. I'm not here to say that there may be bad blood or whatever in the room or not between Murphy and whoever. I'm just wondering if Farwell has detected something could be amiss.....

Being around the team/coaching staff, does Farwell get a feeling or vibe that Spott & company feel Murphy may have plateaued and it's time to maybe sell high?

One thing is for sure. Spott has been accumulating young d-men to the point where we now have 11 in total if you include the injured McEneny and the yet to be signed Mitchell Eden. If he is to do any dealing at all to get size up front, the assets going the other way will obviously be coming from the backend.
I've said all along that they should deal Murphy not thinking they would be where they are in the standings at this point. But it doesn't change my tune. We rolled along nicely with him out of the line up with his injury. He's a great player and it would be tough to see him go, but I think we can still do well this year without him and really compete next year with what we could get.

IMO, Plymouth is the best potential team to deal Murphy to. I agree we need some size on the wings up front. Mitchell Dempsey is 6'3", 210 lbs, born in 95, Tom Wilson is 6'4", 200 lbs born in 94 and Cody Payne is 6'2", 202 lbs born in 94 as well. I doubt they would move Payne as they just traded for him, but would likely be interested in Murphy and if he is returned to the "O" next year, they could trade him again to recoup their costs to get him for this year.

The other team that may have interest is the Knights. It doesn't appear they are going to unload their veterans at this point and they need a offensive threat from the blue line. Not going to get much in the line of size from the Knights up front, but I'd go after 2 of the following 3 (Athanasiou, Tierney & Donnay) + picks with conditions for Murphy returning next year.

Again, these are not rumors, just what I would try to do if it were up to me. I think both of the above proposals make sense for both teams and somewhat address both short and long term goals.

.....but its not up to me, so we'll have to see how it plays out!!!

Old
01-04-2012, 11:06 PM
LRon7

With Plymouth beating Saginaw badly in their barn, it would be a good time to try and pick up someone like Saad. He will cost a bit (picks) but will be well worth it.

LRon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:11 PM
andrew05

Sarnia fan here just curious how fransico is doing

P.s. want maxwell back lol

andrew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:52 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew05 View Post
Sarnia fan here just curious how fransico is doing

P.s. want maxwell back lol
Do you want Frasncisco back?

To be honest, this trade looks to be a wash. Francisco has been providing the same for us as Maxwell for you guys.

At least Francisco isn't costing us games though so that is something!

Francisco is out right now with a broken toe and I don't think anyone is really that upset about it. He is a couple years younger than Maxwell so at least there's a chance he may turn into something. I'm not holding my breath though.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:31 AM
andrew05

Well id take maxwell back but i hear he got traded to missy for jp anderson. If thats true ill gladly take it

andrew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:47 AM
KnightRanger

Still nothing out of Ranger Land. I hope something happens today. Still don't know if we're buying or selling?? I say sell. I don't think we can buy enough to beat London, Plymouth or Sarnia in a 7 game series without completely mortgaging the future. Also, it will help us next year that these teams are going for it this year. Prices are high. Specially for quality Dmen. Murph, Sol, Melchiori, Cat and even Gibby or Palazzese would all interest other teams. We are young right now. Lets make some noise for the next 2 years!!!

Old
01-08-2012, 02:14 PM
EvenSteven

Well, call me excited to have Randell back in the fold. He is exactly what we need. Now if we can just pick up one more like him, a year or two younger, by Tuesday.

1st thing Randell has to do is rip the current name off the back of the #11 sweater and get his sewn back on. Francisco has embarrassed the number.

My excitment has turned to disappointment in seeing Melchiori traded to OSH for only 2 4th round picks!, Yikes!! D'Orazio brought the Knights three 2nd rounders and most would agree that Melch is far superior. Spott should have got at least one 2nd rounder. OSH acquired 2 seconds yesterday in the Petaccio deal. We should have got one of them.

I don't buy the "at least Melchiori won't come back to haunt us in the post season in our conference" notion. London, who has only two OA's right now, would love to have Melchiori and would love to have him as their third OA. It wouldn't surprise me if Mark Hunter picks him up from OSH before the OA deadline tomorrow. Wouldn't it be something if Hunter paid 2 seconds for him and we only got two 4ths and Melch is STILL in our division. Remember, OSH now has five OA's on their roster. Yes, d-man Hermanigildo was injured Friday night, but what if OA Scott Valentine is returned from the AHL by tomorrow(never say never)? That would give them 3 healthy OA d-men (Maggio, Melchiori, and Valentine) with Hunter licking his chops.

It's nice getting Randell back, but with the low return for Melch, how does this help us for next year? Randell is an OA and unless Spott swings a home run in the next couple days with these 2 4th rounders, we haven't improved next year's team at this deadline. I still think we need more size up front for this year that will play here next year as well. And I think yet another of our excess d-men could be included in such a deal along with one of our three excess small forwards who IMO, don't have a future with this team (Francisco, Grant, Lesway).

In any case, with Randell in, none of these three guys have a spot in our top 9 and I can argue that it would be tough to get them into our top 12 if we do pick up another winger with size.

Our forward group as we look today:

Thomson / Catenacci / Rieder
Marcantuoni / Crescenzi / Randell
Lorentz / Faksa / Ming
Pederson / Meighan / Sterk

If we bring in another forward, a LWer preferrably, Ming drops to the 4th line MM takes his spot beside Faksa, and we have a 4th line group consisting of three of Ming, Sterk, Meighan, Clampitt, and Lesway.

I move out Francisco and Grant. Lesway hangs around because he's a year younger.

OK Spotter. Two days to go!

Old
01-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Hitman

People are complaining about the return for Melch but forget about other teams past delas and look at the situation that developed here in Kitchener. If Spott completed a deal earlier perhaps he could have got more but only perhaps. Not because Melch isn't worth more but because in most cases early on sellers are asking high and buyers are low balling. As the deadline approaches the neediest crack and the buyers sweeten the pot or the sellers lower the price depending on needs and market values.
In some cases the buyer is desperate to fill a need and the seller has what they want but have no reason to rush into things. This is the situation Spott was in on Saturday evening.
In some cases the seller is forced to move a player. Perhaps a player asks to be traded, perhaps a team has to get down to the OA limit, ect. Spott suddenly found the tables turned and was in this position earlier today.

While Spott has to be elated to have a big winger, who's tough as nails and can score a few goals, drop into his lap, he also was stuck with four OA's about 24 hours before the deadline for teams to cut down to three. No way other GM's didn't know Spott's position so the price for Melch dropped substantially. Spott had to move either Melch or Sol today or give one of them up for nothing.

I believe Melchiori only cost the Rangers a 5th so the return is good in that regard and as good as it was going to get without trading him to a western rival regardless.

Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:02 PM
EvenSteven

Brampton, who is leadfing their division, has 3 unspectacular OA forwards and a very young defense with no OA's and only one 92 on the blueline. Methinks they should have been interested in Melchiori.

Niagara, who has been rumored to be shopping for a veteran d-man, has three pretty good OA forwards. Would they have been interested in bringing in Melchiori and moving one of their OA forwards, maybe to London who is short an OA, for a good return? Maybe, but maybe not.

Barrie, another contender with three OA forwards, could have used Melchiori and Ezekiel would have been the odd man out. A definate upgrade at the OA position for sure, but, it is said that Ezekiel is a favorite of Hawerchuk, so....

Bottom line is, there were other options out there in the eastern conference. I'm sure that Spott explored those options and settled on the Oshawa deal. I find it hard to believe that he was forced to take the Oshawa deal though or have to waive an OA tomorrow. He could have, should have played a couple of those teams off each other. He may have done that too and we'll probably never know.

I think we are a better team today but unfortunately, we could have been better next year had we received more for Melchiori. I will admit though, that had Randell been returned a few days earlier, Spott might have has more time to get a return comparable to what the Spits got for Robertson (2 2nds and a 3rd). But I still say two 4th rounders is not close to fair trade value.

And it doesn't matter that Melchiori only cost the Rangers a 5th. It's what his value is today that counts.

Old
01-09-2012, 07:57 AM
BenchedGuy

First off, I dont like the return either for Melchiori but I think we were not dealing from a position of great strength either. Randell gets return 2 days before the OA deadline. Doesnt give a lot of time for a bidding war to start unless Spott was shopping him earlier.

I would have liked to seen at least 1 - 2nd thrown in to the deal or at least one of the 4th turned into a 2nd.

With it being so close to the OA deadline, wouldnt be surprised with someone like Brampton seeing what they can pick up off waivers.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote