Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2011-2012 season Thread

Old
09-14-2011, 08:25 AM
fanofdo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
With the way it stands now, Kitchener does not hold his rights anymore. As well, he was not selected by any CHL team in the past import draft, which he would need to have happened for him to come back to the CHL "if" he doesnt make Colorado.

In turn, he was drafted out of the CHL and can not play in the AHL according to rules. So as it is now, its make Colorado or go back to Europe to play.

But you also have to look at Colorado's situation which is very weak at LW. Even if he doesnt make it on the first or second line, his game is also suited for a 3rd line role as a TWF. Colorado also could use his ELC to get off the cap floor as well. So all signs point to non issue.
Thanks. In other words, in a situation like this, where a player is an import drafted into the OHL, the NHL team needs to be quite sure that the player will stick with the NHL club - it would be a bad situation for all parties should he be sent back.

From everything you read, Landeskog is in Colorado's plans so it isn't an issue here.

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofdo View Post
Thanks. In other words, in a situation like this, where a player is an import drafted into the OHL, the NHL team needs to be quite sure that the player will stick with the NHL club - it would be a bad situation for all parties should he be sent back.

From everything you read, Landeskog is in Colorado's plans so it isn't an issue here.
FYI....because this hasn't happened before but it could happen again, the Rangers have talked to the CHL about allowing a team under this situation to still hold onto the NHL drafted import players rights and still draft a import player to replace him.
IMHO, allowing CHL tems to have 3 imports on their p. list but only allowing 2 on the roster may help CHL teams in the long run due to the difficulty of signing them.
Some of tis difficulty is due to the transfer payment that the European team is trying to get. IF a CHL has a fall back option for a player, Team A may be wise to take the 50g's instead of the 75g's they were trying to get.

Ward Cornell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
fanofdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
FYI....because this hasn't happened before but it could happen again, the Rangers have talked to the CHL about allowing a team under this situation to still hold onto the NHL drafted import players rights and still draft a import player to replace him.
IMHO, allowing CHL tems to have 3 imports on their p. list but only allowing 2 on the roster may help CHL teams in the long run due to the difficulty of signing them.
Some of tis difficulty is due to the transfer payment that the European team is trying to get. IF a CHL has a fall back option for a player, Team A may be wise to take the 50g's instead of the 75g's they were trying to get.
I agree with a change needed - often an import player comes a great cost and in this case is a significant player. The OHL has shown that they want to attract the best talent possible to the league - it would be a disaster for the team but just as much for the league if a player of Landeskog's talent was somehow not back in the league if released from the NHL.

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Only issue i can see with this is the issues with getting Import's to commit. If Faska knew that there was an option that he may be out of a job if Landeskog comes back, then im not sure why Faska would be willing to commit. He would be giving up a spot in Europe to come over without a gaurintee.

At the end of the day Landeskog has nothing left to prove in the CHL, so perhaps allowing him the opportunity to play in the AHL instead of the NHL would be the best thing for all involved.

Its not the best for the Rangers in the fact that they loose out on a talented player, but at the same time they can committ to another high end euro.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:02 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Only issue i can see with this is the issues with getting Import's to commit. If Faska knew that there was an option that he may be out of a job if Landeskog comes back, then im not sure why Faska would be willing to commit. He would be giving up a spot in Europe to come over without a gaurintee.

At the end of the day Landeskog has nothing left to prove in the CHL, so perhaps allowing him the opportunity to play in the AHL instead of the NHL would be the best thing for all involved.

Its not the best for the Rangers in the fact that they loose out on a talented player, but at the same time they can committ to another high end euro.
Thats what I would see as being the more logical move. I obviously would love Gabe to come back to the Rangers but from a development stand point it makes more sense for the AHL.

The only way to avoid the dumping a player that commits would be to have some sort of slider rule that if a NHL 1st rounder that was a CHL import player gets returned then you could go with 3 imports that year but I see that getting really messy with the "Have's" and "Have Nots" in the league.

Speaking of Faska.....anyone know if the contract thing got resolved? Is he signed by the Rangers?

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Speaking of Faska.....anyone know if the contract thing got resolved? Is he signed by the Rangers?
All I know is what Spott told me at the AGM that there's difficulties with obtaining the transfer and wasn't too hopeful. The surprising aspect is if he doesn't have his release that he's playing exhibition games. I would thn=ink without it he wouldn't be playing the exxy's.
Does anyone know the rules in regards to this??

I'm assuming they haven't signed him or obtained his transfer since there hasn't been any announcement. Considering there's been press releases for signing low round draft picks or the release of meh OA's (Lopes) that there would've have been one.

Old
09-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post

I thought of that also and don't disagree with this aspect.
For Gabe it's almost 100% a non-issue but this scenerio will be coming up again and there should be something in place to protect the CHL teams and the player. I'm ure there are import players that could almost make the NHL teams skill wise but nt yet physical prepared for the grind of the AHL.

I guess with every rule there's always drawbacks of some sorts.

Old
09-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Edges7

Iafrate update?

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Iafrate update?
Sorry...can't help you, we've been in Nevada and Utah.

Old
09-14-2011, 09:21 PM
methodfilter

Quote:
Iafrate update?
On what? He looked fine at the SunLife thing

methodfilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodfilter View Post
On what? He looked fine at the SunLife thing
Play.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 11:39 AM
methodfilter

Quote:
Play.
The two games I've seen he's been hitting everything in sight! Got a few penalties that were questionable calls.

Old
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodfilter View Post
The two games I've seen he's been hitting everything in sight! Got a few penalties that were questionable calls.

The last game he was penalized for what was a textbook hipcheck from way back in the day. It wasn't low. It wasn't because the player didn't have the puck. It was right on the players hip and was such a good check, with the guy going flying and everything, that the ref obviously panicked and called him for tripping.

This is the kind of open ice hipcheck you see only a handfull of times a year and was absolutely, 100% legal.

Spott, incredulous at the call, kept all the players at the bench and wanted an explanation from the ref and the ref refused to go over and explain himself. Coward! I'm sure Spott was concerned that a call like this could happen in games that count and wanted to maybe educate the ref.

Good luck with that in this league!

EvenSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Hitman

Quote:
Iafrate update?
He's looked great in the two games I've seen him play, plus a few practices I've been to.
Very impressive for a young D man.
Spott got a great deal when he picked Max up for a couple thirds.

Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 09:31 PM
methodfilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
The last game he was penalized for what was a textbook hipcheck from way back in the day. It wasn't low. It wasn't because the player didn't have the puck. It was right on the players hip and was such a good check, with the guy going flying and everything, that the ref obviously panicked and called him for tripping.

This is the kind of open ice hipcheck you see only a handfull of times a year and was absolutely, 100% legal.

Spott, incredulous at the call, kept all the players at the bench and wanted an explanation from the ref and the ref refused to go over and explain himself. Coward! I'm sure Spott was concerned that a call like this could happen in games that count and wanted to maybe educate the ref.

Good luck with that in this league!
I remember the exact play you speak of. When they said tripping i burst out in laughter. How do you trip someone with your mid-body while on your skates?

Old
09-17-2011, 09:41 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Spott got a great deal when he picked Max up for a couple thirds.

You can't discount the swap of 1st round import picks. The import pick we got from Plymouth will hold little or no value to us if and when they finish near or at the top of the league. Chances are, we won't use the pick and nobody will want it in trade. Therefore, no player will get drafted in that spot.

The pick we sent to Plymouth, on the other hand, will be worth a lot more considering we're in a rebuilding season. It could be a top 20 pick in the 2012 import draft. No, we probably weren't going to use our own pick as Rieder and Faksa should both be back next year, but it would have been a very good asset to be used in trade.

So for all intents and purposes, by the time the Plymouth pick isn't used by us, the trade should realistically read:

To Kit: Iafrate
To Ply: 1st round import pick. Two 3rd rounders.

When that import player comes to the Whalers, we'll have a better read on how the trade worked out for both sides.

Much like the Aleardi trade to Belleville:

To Bell: Aleardi and I believe, a 5th rounder
To Kit: Matt Tipoff and their 1st round import pick (Tobias Rieder)

At first, many Ranger fans slagged that deal with out taking into consideration the value of the import pick. How does it look now?

Old
09-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Cheli

Hmm, so I guess I'm a casual/new Rangers fan. Saw 5-6 games last year live, all near the end of the season/in the playoffs (i.e. one game that WASN'T vs Plymouth). Great fun, great value. What's the story on this year? Players to watch?

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 07:32 AM
sarie67

Hurricanes sign 2011 First-round pick Ryan Murphy to Entry Level Contract.

No guarantee to make the team this year however but his chances have certainly improved.

sarie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Hitman

Quote:
You can't discount the swap of 1st round import picks. The import pick we got from Plymouth will hold little or no value to us if and when they finish near or at the top of the league. Chances are, we won't use the pick and nobody will want it in trade. Therefore, no player will get drafted in that spot.

The pick we sent to Plymouth, on the other hand, will be worth a lot more considering we're in a rebuilding season. It could be a top 20 pick in the 2012 import draft. No, we probably weren't going to use our own pick as Rieder and Faksa should both be back next year, but it would have been a very good asset to be used in trade.

So for all intents and purposes, by the time the Plymouth pick isn't used by us, the trade should realistically read:

To Kit: Iafrate
To Ply: 1st round import pick. Two 3rd rounders.

When that import player comes to the Whalers, we'll have a better read on how the trade worked out for both sides.

Much like the Aleardi trade to Belleville:

To Bell: Aleardi and I believe, a 5th rounder
To Kit: Matt Tipoff and their 1st round import pick (Tobias Rieder)

At first, many Ranger fans slagged that deal with out taking into consideration the value of the import pick. How does it look now?
Right you are but unlike most fans I could careless about the who won and who lost a trade.

To me a trade is either good or bad for the Rangers and as far as the Rangers are concerned the import pick was of no use so Spott gave up two thirds for a player who was a first round pick just one year ago.
Great asset management by Spott.

It's fun to look back or even frustrating at times and see how these trades panned out but if GM's were to concern themselves simply with "winning a trade" they'd be doing themselves and their fans a great dis-service. Spott added a great player for a relativity low cost to the Rangers and a cost that he will likely recoup to boot.

No doubt if that import player turns out to be an impact guy there will be lots of complaints but that player would have NEVER been a Ranger anyway.

Old
09-20-2011, 10:08 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:

...and as far as the Rangers are concerned the import pick was of no use so Spott gave up two thirds for a player who was a first round pick just one year ago.
Great asset management by Spott.

To say the Rangers got Iafrate for a low cost, couple of 3rd rounders, is misleading. That import pick holds huge value.

Actually, the import pick certainly was of use as far as the Rangers were concerned because there's no way Vellucci gives up Iafrate for only two third rounders. Iafrate was a first rounder in this league and to be honest, considering d-men take a little longer to develop which would explain his so-so rookie season, he's playing like a first rounder thus far as a Ranger.

Just because we weren't going to use the pick next summer doesn't mean that it wasn't a valuable asset. As you said, good on Spott to make good use of it. If he had waited until the deadline, and the Rangers perhaps were sitting a little higher than expected, that asset becomes less valuable.

Old
09-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Ward Cornell

Crescenzi and Reider are back with the Rangers.

IMHO...Crescenzi needs to really step up his offence especially his play making! I still can't believe he's actually signed a NHL contract!

Old
09-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Hitman

Quote:
Iafrate was a first rounder in this league and to be honest, considering d-men take a little longer to develop which would explain his so-so rookie season, he's playing like a first rounder thus far as a Ranger.
For sure!
Haven't seen a whole lot of him yet but from what I have seen he looks very solid. He will be a very valuable piece of this team now but even more so in the future.

Old
09-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Hitman

Quote:
Crescenzi and Reider are back with the Rangers.

IMHO...Crescenzi needs to really step up his offence especially his play making! I still can't believe he's actually signed a NHL contract!
You can say that again.
Crescenzi and Thomson both need to either put some pucks in the net or start adding a lot of helpers. Both guys are in the right spot to create chances on a consistant basis but niether has shown the ability to finish on a consistant basis....yet.(fingers crossed)

Old
09-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
You can say that again.
Crescenzi and Thomson both need to either put some pucks in the net or start adding a lot of helpers. Both guys are in the right spot to create chances on a consistant basis but niether has shown the ability to finish on a consistant basis....yet.(fingers crossed)
Call me crazy or overly optimistic but I can see Thomson getting 30 and 30.

Old
09-21-2011, 09:15 PM
KnightRanger

Quote:
Call me crazy or overly optimistic but I can see Thomson getting 30 and 30.
I can see it. The Rangers are likely to score approx 240 goals this year. Who do you think will be their top 3 goal scorers? Not points, but goals. Someone has to put the puck in the net. Reider & Marcantuoni will get some but I don't see the Cat filling the net, though I do see him with alot of assists. Crescenzi?? I agree he better do something this year or his hopes of the NHL are all but gone.

Murphy had 26 last year, Reider had 23 and the next highest on the team returning is Cattenacci with 17. Someones gotta put them in!!

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote