HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Redskins Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-05-2011, 01:29 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Well I thought I was bad in regards to being pessimistic when it comes to the Skins prospects this year after the decade of futility we all lived through, but some of you guys are straight up jaded. So quick to jump on someone and go over board with the doom and gloom bull ****.

In regards to my Kurt Warner analogy, do I think John Beck will be a border line HOF QB that will take his team to multiple SB's and actually win one? No, but it would be nice. Do I think John Beck has shown the potential to be a servicable NFL caliber QB that could suprise a lot of the so-called experts, just like Kurt Warner did when he went from grocery bagger to an NFL starting QB after Trent Green went down with a busted knee, that have said he is a 2nd round bust that won't amount to much, yes. Whats the problem with that? To read some of the responses to that analogy one would think I have booked my flight to Indiannapolis. Lets be reality please...

Its all moot at this point though because Grossman is apparently going to start week 1. Well moot until the Giants D-line plants Grossman in the turf a couple times.

In regards to Trent Green, to say he was considered a legit NFL starting QB when he went to the Rams is laughable. His stature heading into that year is the same as Grossman at this point. Green showed promise starting half the season with the Skins out of necessity, but he jumped at the only offer out there to start with the hapless Rams when the Skins didn't want to give him a multi-year deal. And that is why I feel the Skins QB situation is very similar to the Rams QB situation in 1999. Journyman QB (Green and Grossman) running a system that fits his skill set, and a backup QB (Warner and Beck) that no one has ever heard of that could very well flurish if given the chance to start. We know what happened to Warner when he was given a chance, same thing could happen for Beck. Beck seems better suited to Kyle's system, and with Hightower, Torain, and Helu pounding the ball Beck's mobility could make the Skins offense this year something special. I hope Beck gets a chance because I would like to see how things work out.

Last edited by WetHog: 09-05-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old
09-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Grossman is experienced in the Shanahan offensive playbook, so this is a good decision. Let's see how he does.

Giants have a **** secondary but Eli and company still have a potent offense, and Jacobs basically owns the Redskins. Little worried.

Old
09-05-2011, 02:13 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Trent Green: 4 yrs, 16.5 mil in 1999. Same as Rex Grossman now...

Old
09-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Suck for Luck!

Old
09-05-2011, 02:39 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Trent Green: 4 yrs, 16.5 mil in 1999. Same as Rex Grossman now...
Right on cue.

Old
09-05-2011, 02:51 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post

Quick, name me the teams you think the Skins have a better QC situation than. If you are honest with yourself, that list shouldn't be more than 5-6 teams tops. As low as 2-3.

That ain't C material, IMO.
You really don't like Rex Grossman, huh? You think he's worse than young McCoy, a fading Hasselbeck, ditto Gerrard, Kolb and who...Henne? I'll maybe give you Gerrard, although he's never done was Grossman has.

Let's agree to disagree.

BTW, ESPN blows harder than TSN and everyone knows it. It's laughable anyone would use their pre-season rankings for anything.

Let's see how the team performs Sunday. My guess is they'll perform well and the Skins cynics/haters will go Ghost. The same as the Bruce/Semin apologists everytime the Caps are run out of the playoffs.

Old
09-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
You really don't like Rex Grossman, huh? You think he's worse than young McCoy, a fading Hasselbeck, ditto Gerrard, Kolb and who...Henne? I'll maybe give you Gerrard, although he's never done was Grossman has.

Let's agree to disagree.

BTW, ESPN blows harder than TSN and everyone knows it. It's laughable anyone would use their pre-season rankings for anything.

Let's see how the team performs Sunday. My guess is they'll perform well and the Skins cynics/haters will go Ghost. The same as the Bruce/Semin apologists everytime the Caps are run out of the playoffs.
It's not that I dont like Grossman. I am rooting for him, big time. I just dont think he's any good. You dont like Boudreau, Semin, and McPhee. I can understand it, I just dont agree with it.

I dont like Grossman, and not thrilled with K Shanahan, and am not sold that the Danny is "no longer involved" to my liking. You dont agree with that.

I get it, and we will see which group does more than expected. Will it be the Caps with the headaches you see? Or will it the Redskins with the headaches I see?

LOL, I truly hope we are BOTH wrong, and both RIGHT, but in this order. You are rigth on the Skins, I am right on the Caps. If it flip flops, we will both be miserable effers this season as 2 of our favourite teams will drive us insane!

Old
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Right on cue.
With those damn pesky facts.

As for ESPN, they do football well. I'm not sure whose rankings anyone would claim would be more reliable. Given that I reached the same conclusions before they were posted, I'm inclined to believe them over some guy who has consistently over-rated the Skins and their talent every single year.

Also, the giants are going to absolutely smoke them.

Last edited by mrwarden: 09-05-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old
09-05-2011, 04:10 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
It's not that I dont like Grossman. I am rooting for him, big time. I just dont think he's any good. You dont like Boudreau, Semin, and McPhee. I can understand it, I just dont agree with it.

I dont like Grossman, and not thrilled with K Shanahan, and am not sold that the Danny is "no longer involved" to my liking. You dont agree with that.

I get it, and we will see which group does more than expected. Will it be the Caps with the headaches you see? Or will it the Redskins with the headaches I see?

LOL, I truly hope we are BOTH wrong, and both RIGHT, but in this order. You are rigth on the Skins, I am right on the Caps. If it flip flops, we will both be miserable effers this season as 2 of our favourite teams will drive us insane!
I'm on the fence with McPhee, but another fail job and I'm over.

I just don't agree w/your assessment of the Skins or Snyder. I think fans are suffering once bitten twice shy syndrome w/regards to the owner. They've had their best offseason in terms of actual team building since Gibbs was here; and Shanny hasn't lost his feel for the game.

Old
09-05-2011, 04:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well I thought I was bad in regards to being pessimistic when it comes to the Skins prospects this year after the decade of futility we all lived through, but some of you guys are straight up jaded. So quick to jump on someone and go over board with the doom and gloom bull ****.

In regards to my Kurt Warner analogy, do I think John Beck will be a border line HOF QB that will take his team to multiple SB's and actually win one? No, but it would be nice. Do I think John Beck has shown the potential to be a servicable NFL caliber QB that could suprise a lot of the so-called experts, just like Kurt Warner did when he went from grocery bagger to an NFL starting QB after Trent Green went down with a busted knee, that have said he is a 2nd round bust that won't amount to much, yes. Whats the problem with that? To read some of the responses to that analogy one would think I have booked my flight to Indiannapolis. Lets be reality please...

Its all moot at this point though because Grossman is apparently going to start week 1. Well moot until the Giants D-line plants Grossman in the turf a couple times.

In regards to Trent Green, to say he was considered a legit NFL starting QB when he went to the Rams is laughable. His stature heading into that year is the same as Grossman at this point. Green showed promise starting half the season with the Skins out of necessity, but he jumped at the only offer out there to start with the hapless Rams when the Skins didn't want to give him a multi-year deal. And that is why I feel the Skins QB situation is very similar to the Rams QB situation in 1999. Journyman QB (Green and Grossman) running a system that fits his skill set, and a backup QB (Warner and Beck) that no one has ever heard of that could very well flurish if given the chance to start. We know what happened to Warner when he was given a chance, same thing could happen for Beck. Beck seems better suited to Kyle's system, and with Hightower, Torain, and Helu pounding the ball Beck's mobility could make the Skins offense this year something special. I hope Beck gets a chance because I would like to see how things work out.
In 1999 Green signed a 4 year 16.5 mil deal with the Rams. That was AFTER he rejected a 4 year $12 million offer from the Skins for whom he started 15 games for in 1998.

His stats from the year before...

15 games, 3,441 yards, 23 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions

YES, he was seen as a legit starter around the NFL. Just stop with the revisionist history.

Old
09-05-2011, 05:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
With those damn pesky facts.

As for ESPN, they do football well. I'm not sure whose rankings anyone would claim would be more reliable. Given that I reached the same conclusions before they were posted, I'm inclined to believe them over some guy who has consistently over-rated the Skins and their talent every single year.

Also, the giants are going to absolutely smoke them.
I'm not so sure the Giants are going to be very good this year. I think it will be competitive and the outcome will be in doubt until late in the game...

Old
09-05-2011, 05:26 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I'm not so sure the Giants are going to be very good this year. I think it will be competitive and the outcome will be in doubt until late in the game...
The giants may only be 7-9 or 8-8...but that's still a very large talent disparity between them and the Skins.

Old
09-05-2011, 06:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

We'll see, but I've liked what I've seen from the different facets of the Skins this year in preseason and I was about as down on them as a fan could get...(Offense, D, Special teams).

QB aside, they are trending in the right direction. They have a lot of talent, but little depth. If they stay healthy and get decent QB play, they may not be the worst of the NFC East at the end of the year...

Big IFs....

Old
09-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
When do we start taking bets on how many games it takes before Grossman gets pulled? I'll bet a beer on 3.

09-05-2011, 06:25 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

So far, everyone but 1 person here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=979507 has the skins at 3-13.

Could they surprise? Sure, literally anything is possible. But I don't think there's really any way of them winning more than 5 at the best case.

Old
09-05-2011, 06:40 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Given that I reached the same conclusions before they were posted, I'm inclined to believe them over some guy who has consistently over-rated the Skins and their talent every single year.
I predicted 5 wins for the Skins this year and I consistently over-rate the Skins and their talent? Facts indeed.

I feel the Skins have a better chance at being competitive with Beck under center, than with Grossman. I will leave my comments at that. See you guys Sunday.

Old
09-05-2011, 06:48 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

@Wet: I was talking about Mr. 10 wins.

Old
09-05-2011, 06:55 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
@Wet: I was talking about Mr. 10 wins.
Sorry, we had a good back and forth going there. Figured you lumped me in with Mr. 10 wins.

Look, my Green/Warner to Grossman/Beck analogy sounds good in my head, but thats not saying much. I just feel strongly, based on what I observed in the pre-season games, that Beck is the key to being competitive this year. And make note I said competitive, not wins. The guy is mobile, appears to be intelligent, and is a complete open book. He could be what the Skins need, or he could be a hasbeen. I just really want to find out in a real NFL game.

*hijack*

Watching the Terps/Canes pre-game and I can't get over the Terps uniforms. They make Oregon's many uniform scenarios seem completely normal.

HOLY CRAP! Just when i thought it couldn't get worse. Terps were wearing the turtle shell whit helmuts during warm ups. Then they come out in a completely different helmut/uniform. Being born and raised in MD I can appreciate the attempt to celebrate the great state of MD with the uniform, but geez those helmuts.......................I'm speechless. This **** is getting out of hand.

Last edited by WetHog: 09-05-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old
09-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Sorry, we had a good back and forth going there. Figured you lumped me in with Mr. 10 wins.

Look, my Green/Warner to Grossman/Beck analogy sounds good in my head, but thats not saying much. I just feel strongly, based on what I observed in the pre-season games, that Beck is the key to being competitive this year. And make note I said competitive, not wins. The guy is mobile, appears to be intelligent, and is a complete open book. He could be what the Skins need, or he could be a hasbeen. I just really want to find out in a real NFL game.

*hijack*

Watching the Terps/Canes pre-game and I can't get over the Terps uniforms. They make Oregon's many uniform scenarios seem completely normal.

HOLY CRAP! Just when i thought it couldn't get worse. Terps were wearing the turtle shell whit helmuts during warm ups. Then they come out in a completely different helmut/uniform. Being born and raised in MD I can appreciate the attempt to celebrate the great state of MD with the uniform, but geez those helmuts.......................I'm speechles
s. This **** is getting out of hand.
O'Brien should be starting for the Skins! Terps look pretty good, that INT in the endzone notwithstanding. This may be a 10 win Terp team is DannyO stays healthy all year. I think he might be ACC POY

Old
09-05-2011, 07:48 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

So basically for this season to go the way Erocaps believes it will go, the Skins need to:

-Stay healthy
-Youth needs to blossom into 1 and 2 material
-QB play must be good

That combined with an easy schedule and a few teams having surprise off years, could get them to 8-8 or 9-7.

Old
09-05-2011, 10:16 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

O' Brien looks good that pick in the endzone aside. Will have to wait for the 2013 draft at the earliest for the Skins. Good win for the Terps as well.

Old
09-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I had hoped the Skins would select Tyrod. At the same time, I hoped they wouldn't because I have no doubt he would end up being ruined behind this offensive line as it stands.

Old
09-05-2011, 11:56 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I had hoped the Skins would select Tyrod. At the same time, I hoped they wouldn't because I have no doubt he would end up being ruined behind this offensive line as it stands.
Dude, the O-line is not the problem...and Tyrod is not a #1.

Old
09-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Dude, the O-line is not the problem...and Tyrod is not a #1.
Right now? No.

In a couple seasons? Possibly...which is much better than anything the Skins have at QB now, since we're apparently finally rebuilding. The guys athletic ability isn't even his greatest asset...it's his ability to learn rapidly. He's showing that he can do that on a higher level already.

I'd rather have him in the wings developing than pray Beck suddenly decides to be awesome. Fumblesaurus Rex doesn't fill me with joy either.

Edit: if you think this O-line isn't a problem I don't know what to tell you. Have you been watching our QBs get abused nearly every game?

Edit: I need to be more specific. I mean during regular season games, when they're consistently facing real defenses. For at least the last two seasons they've been terrible.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 09-06-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old
09-06-2011, 05:19 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

Let's agree to disagree..
What has Grossman done that Garrard hasn't outside of Grossman blowing a SB

Grossman has been an NFL starter for 1 full season in NFL ,, 1 and he was not very good at it

And McCoy > Grossman I think many people would take him over Rex

Closed Thread