HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Redskins Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2011, 04:49 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
...and let's not also forget the Skins played without their 2-time Pro Bowl TE and two starting stud safeties that let Wallace and Brown get open on the Steelers' two major passing plays.

The running game also had their way with an elite running defense and Bowen, Cofield and Kerrigan all made back-field stops.

The Skins negging is just banal.
No Troy, no Harrison, no lebeau packages.... Pitt D in preseason is a joke vs times that matter.

Also one series vs first half.... Guess which team played starters where.

Kudos on the first drive. I'd use that for evaluation that matters. But seeing a td come after grossman throws a pass off Foote's hand.... a hand he's not seeing there in a meaningful game... In a coverage never seen in that situation normally, is meaningless.

Old
08-14-2011, 08:26 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I was posting on ExtremeSkins GDT during the game, and didnt want to spill the pitcher of Koolaid being consumed en masse and point out that the Pitt starters were long gone, our A1 offense facing basic zones with backups. But Rex-N-Effects did well under pressure, one of the best things to bring from the game. Even Pitts backups were getting in his face and he was finding his dump offs. And didnt fumble bumble the game away.

If that was a real game, we had roughed up their DB's early on. If Clark etc were out, maybe Kyle shows a sack and targets the second stringers. Maybe that game is close. But the Skins have not shown targeting of injured or backup players, Gibbs for one was too nice to ever do that.

Old
08-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
No Troy, no Harrison, no lebeau packages.... Pitt D in preseason is a joke vs times that matter.

Kudos on the first drive. I'd use that for evaluation that matters. But seeing a td come after grossman throws a pass off Foote's hand.... a hand he's not seeing there in a meaningful game... In a coverage never seen in that situation normally, is meaningless.
I wouldn't even use that first drive as any kind of measuring stick as when good teams' 1st stringers are in in preseason games they aren't in there playing all out and looking to make plays, let alone actually being put in the kind of packages they would be if it counted. They are in there going through the motions, looking to knock the rust off, and not do something really stupid while playing the most vanilla packages the coaching staff could draw up.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:42 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

As you have all justifiably been pointing out. Hightower is going to play well. Running on pitts' first team defense, preseason or not, is a decent indication. But the entire season for teams is usually decided by depth and injuries.

Pitt right now has so many cb injures, and their two starting safeties are already dinged.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
1. It's impossible to "look at the schedule" and predict which teams are going to be strong. The *******s in the media convince you every year they can do it and they're always wrong.

2. You're right about talent winning close games... against elite teams. Like in every sport, it's coaching that separates the winners and losers and the Skins are well coached.

If anyone is wondering why my posts seem more upbeat about the Skins see #2.
Thats not true Ero, and you know it. There is a reasson teams are favoured by Vegas at this time fo year, and a reason that teams have point spreads every weekened. Teams are NOT equal.

Philly, NE, and NYJ are all stronger teams than we are, period. Dallas and NYG are too. Throw in our penchant for getting dominated by our division, and how hard it is to win on the road, and we are looking at those 8 games I've mentioned, plus Miami, Buffalo, St L, Seattle road games. Thats 12 games where we will not be favoured to win. There is literally 0-10% chance we are favoured in any of those.

So we are left with Minn, SF, AZ at home, and CAR on the road where we might be favoured. *might*. To say that you cant look at the schedule and predict what happens is to wear rose coloured glasses.

Sure, are there 2-3 teams that poop it out each year from their "prognosis"? As well as 2-3 teams that rise above it? There are. Maybe 4-6 teams that really fly in the face of the pundits. 15-20% of the league.

Redskins are picked to be awful. I'm not going to hinge my hopes on 20%.

They are going to be bad vs the NFL. Get prepared for it. Maybe they will be a better Redskins team, one that is molding towards 2012...but they will be bad this year.

Now the Capitals, on the other hand? ~

Last edited by Ridley Simon: 08-14-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old
08-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Suck for Luck!

Old
08-14-2011, 02:29 PM
EroCaps

Quote:

No Landry, Atogwe and you're assuming the Skins used their packages? Grossman played the 2nd Q. So what? The Steelers have 2 vet back-ups in Leftwich and Batch;the Skins have 1 guy (Clemens) with zero game experience in the offense.

Do you see the bias?

The Skins first drive started on the 1 yard line and they drove 80 yards including some nice rushes against the league's best run defense from last year (and something like the last 40 years).

I understand how to qualify a pre-season game but they flat out executed against a very good unit.

Old
08-14-2011, 02:34 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Thats not true Ero, and you know it. There is a reasson teams are favoured by Vegas at this time fo year, and a reason that teams have point spreads every weekened. Teams are NOT equal.

Philly, NE, and NYJ are all stronger teams than we are, period. Dallas and NYG are too. Throw in our penchant for getting dominated by our division, and how hard it is to win on the road, and we are looking at those 8 games I've mentioned, plus Miami, Buffalo, St L, Seattle road games. Thats 12 games where we will not be favoured to win. There is literally 0-10% chance we are favoured in any of those.

So we are left with Minn, SF, AZ at home, and CAR on the road where we might be favoured. *might*. To say that you cant look at the schedule and predict what happens is to wear rose coloured glasses.

Sure, are there 2-3 teams that poop it out each year from their "prognosis"? As well as 2-3 teams that rise above it? There are. Maybe 4-6 teams that really fly in the face of the pundits. 15-20% of the league.

Redskins are picked to be awful. I'm not going to hinge my hopes on 20%.

They are going to be bad vs the NFL. Get prepared for it. Maybe they will be a better Redskins team, one that is molding towards 2012...but they will be bad this year.

Now the Capitals, on the other hand? ~
Yeah, that's TBD. Again, pre-season predictions and "pundits" are ridiculously overrated. They're always wrong with the exception of maybe 2 good teams and 2 bad ones. The rest is a guessing game.

The Skins will be better than you expect; and by that I mean they might be .500.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Langway
Intangibles

For as good as the first string offense looked they still didn't put up enough points to go along with all that yardage. Maybe Gano is better and that makes up for it somewhat but they need to be a lot more efficient in the red zone.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:34 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
For as good as the first string offense looked they still didn't put up enough points to go along with all that yardage. Maybe Gano is better and that makes up for it somewhat but they need to be a lot more efficient in the red zone.
All true. The guy they just cut left 6 pts on the board. But it was the Steelers.

Old
08-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

It was the Steelers' second string. In the first preseason game. I'd like to see them do it in a real game.

08-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Shayne Graham missed 2 field goals on Friday. He was cut.

It's all Gano now.

Old
08-14-2011, 07:01 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
All true. The guy they just cut left 6 pts on the board. But it was the Steelers.
No it was not.

Old
08-14-2011, 07:11 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
No it was not.
Let him have his Potemkin Village.

08-14-2011, 08:03 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I just take offense to calling that "the steelers". They were a team wearing black and gold from Pittsburgh. But many many will never be "steelers"

Old
08-14-2011, 08:10 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
No it was not.
No kidding they didn't play their starters all game, but their 1st string defense was on the field for the Skins' most impressive drive of the game.

Old
08-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
No kidding they didn't play their starters all game, but their 1st string defense was on the field for the Skins' most impressive drive of the game.
One drive isn't a very strong sample size. We also spent pretty much all of last season watching them have great drives that would end in no points.

Old
08-14-2011, 08:44 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
One drive isn't a very strong sample size. We also spent pretty much all of last season watching them have great drives that would end in no points.
The kicker had something to do with that. So did the elite defense on the other side of the field. McNabb not executing the system last year kind of hurt too.

The Skins are growing. The same people pissing on them right now will be silent once they turn the corner.

Old
08-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
The kicker had something to do with that. So did the elite defense on the other side of the field. McNabb not executing the system last year kind of hurt too.

The Skins are growing. The same people pissing on them right now will be silent once they turn the corner.
That won't be this season. If it is this season, it means this team pulled something nearly miraculous.

edit: Not sure how it's the kicker's fault they weren't scoring touchdowns. If you're in a position where you hope your kicker makes 5 field goals because you can't score TDs, you're probably losing the game. The Skins proved that repeatedly last season.

Old
08-14-2011, 09:03 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

...in five-twenty years

Old
08-14-2011, 10:04 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Agreed and I said that accordingly. 0-0 doesn't win much though!

Preseason games as a steeler fan is not about the whole, but rather watching rookies to see I there's a chance, seeing 2nd yr players develop, and seeing players off ir in individual match-ups. Typically the trenches are translatable. And the skins did a decent job in the one series vs the starters that played in the first series. But grossman isn't leading that team to 6 wins.

Old
08-15-2011, 01:47 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Agreed and I said that accordingly. 0-0 doesn't win much though!

Preseason games as a steeler fan is not about the whole, but rather watching rookies to see I there's a chance, seeing 2nd yr players develop, and seeing players off ir in individual match-ups. Typically the trenches are translatable. And the skins did a decent job in the one series vs the starters that played in the first series. But grossman isn't leading that team to 6 wins.
Grossman was more effective running Kyle's offense than McNabb last year and they managed 6 wins with the league's worst defense and no running game.

I have them anywhere from 5-9 wins. Worst and best case scenarios.

Old
08-15-2011, 02:14 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Grossman was more effective running Kyle's offense than McNabb last year and they managed 6 wins with the league's worst defense and no running game.

I have them anywhere from 5-9 wins. Worst and best case scenarios.
Well lpoking at your schedule the skins do get to play car, sf, and buff. Plus ari travels to dc. So you have four solid games there. Maybe they'll win 1 or 2 div games. And perhaps pull an upset or two. So I can see best case as 8. But if I got to wager.... 4

Old
08-15-2011, 09:44 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Well lpoking at your schedule the skins do get to play car, sf, and buff. Plus ari travels to dc. So you have four solid games there. Maybe they'll win 1 or 2 div games. And perhaps pull an upset or two. So I can see best case as 8. But if I got to wager.... 4
Sorry to say but that game against the Bills will be a L for Washington. My clairvoyance comes directly from my Bills homerism.

Old
08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Roccoman

we'll i'm convinced: 16 - 0.

Closed Thread