HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Redskins Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2011, 02:34 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
LOL. I find your lack of faith in the Caps disturbing.

It cuts both ways Ero!

(and dont start with the BB and GMGM havent won anything crap, we know that-- but everyone has to win the first time, and while BB may not be the man, GMGM has consistently gotten better at what he does, and its showing)
Shanny and Allen have RINGS. Plural.

Trust me, I'll be the first to buy the Bruce Boudreau collector dinner plates if the Caps win the Stanley Cup.

Old
09-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
LOL. I find your lack of faith in the Caps disturbing.

It cuts both ways Ero!

(and dont start with the BB and GMGM havent won anything crap, we know that-- but everyone has to win the first time, and while BB may not be the man, GMGM has consistently gotten better at what he does, and its showing)
See and I tend to think a lot of the Shanahan worship is misplaced also. Sure he has his two SBs but since then despite an overall winning record, he's won one playoff game his last eleven seasons.

Old
09-20-2011, 04:23 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
See and I tend to think a lot of the Shanahan worship is misplaced also. Sure he has his two SBs but since then despite an overall winning record, he's won one playoff game his last eleven seasons.
Jimmy Johnson won back to back Super Bowls, but had limited playoff success in the NFL after that. Does that diminish his stature as an accomplished NFL coach? I don't think so. Don Shula won back to back SB's and then couldn't win it all with one of the best QB's in NFL history in Marino. Does that diminish his stature as one the greatest NFL coaches of all time? Nope. So why continue to bust Shanahan's balls about his 1 playoff win after winning his last SB? Bringing that up time and again proves nothing, and its getting old.

Old
09-20-2011, 04:38 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

It is absolutely relevant to the discussion of whether they'll win anything with him though, every bit as relevant as the repeated pointing out of the rings.

I will admit to being very surprised at how relatively well the offensive line is doing, and Grossman, while having his moments of Grossman-ness, has also been better than you'd think. The offenses competency has helped the "d", combine that with some smiling from the football Gods, and you get the potential 3-0 start.

The Bills and Panthers have also been much better than expected. Parity is cliche in the NFL, but its obviously true.

09-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Foy

I'm confused why the Colts wouldn't take Luck. Manning is 36 and coming off neck surgery. No reason why the Colts wouldn't take Luck and put him behind the clipboard for a year or two while Manning finishes draining the gas tank.

Old
09-20-2011, 05:16 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I'm confused why the Colts wouldn't take Luck. Manning is 36 and coming off neck surgery. No reason why the Colts wouldn't take Luck and put him behind the clipboard for a year or two while Manning finishes draining the gas tank.
The Colts very well might take Luck if they are in a position to, but the presence of Manning makes that a 50/50 proposition IMO. He just signed a lengthy contract, and althought it is written the Colts have a way out of that money if they cut Manning, that will never happen. Manning is the greatest player in the history of the INDIANNAPOLIS era of the Colts. That guy deserves respect, and whatever the Colts do in regards to their draft position will be dictated by Manning. For that reason I feel the Colts are just as likely to trade away a potential #1 overall pick for mutiple picks than use it.

Same with the Chiefs. They have Cassel signed to a significant contract so trading a potential #1 overall pick away for multiple picks might make more sense so they can stock their roster. Where as the Seahawks would be complete idiots if they had a shot to draft Luck and didn't.

Old
09-20-2011, 05:18 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
It is absolutely relevant to the discussion of whether they'll win anything with him though, every bit as relevant as the repeated pointing out of the rings.
Sure it is relevant, but some bring up Shanahan's record after Elway as a way to dismiss him. At least thats how I read it, and its silly IMO.

Shanahan is a legit NFL caliber Head Coach, his back to back SB's and the progess made by the Skins to this point prove it. Will the Skins win a SB under Shanahan? Its possible, and I would love it if they did, but with 31 other teams out there with the same goal its no garuntee.

Old
09-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Jimmy Johnson won back to back Super Bowls, but had limited playoff success in the NFL after that. Does that diminish his stature as an accomplished NFL coach? I don't think so. Don Shula won back to back SB's and then couldn't win it all with one of the best QB's in NFL history in Marino. Does that diminish his stature as one the greatest NFL coaches of all time? Nope. So why continue to bust Shanahan's balls about his 1 playoff win after winning his last SB? Bringing that up time and again proves nothing, and its getting old.
The facts are the facts. If it's getting old that's too bad. It is what it is. What he did 12-13 years ago means absolutely nothing to what the Redskins do this season or going forward. He had several teams with winning records in Denver over his last ten years but failed to do anything in the postseason. People here are making the guy out to be the second coming. If he was the brilliant genius he's being made out to be, it makes you wonder how come he hasn't been able to win more than one postseason game in all that time.

Old
09-20-2011, 07:58 PM
WetHog

Quote:
The facts are the facts. If it's getting old that's too bad. It is what it is. What he did 12-13 years ago means absolutely nothing to what the Redskins do this season or going forward. He had several teams with winning records in Denver over his last ten years but failed to do anything in the postseason. People here are making the guy out to be the second coming. If he was the brilliant genius he's being made out to be, it makes you wonder how come he hasn't been able to win more than one postseason game in all that time.
The facts are the facts, and I listed some that you conviently ignored. Shanahan is a very good NFL coach. The Skins are younger, more atheletic, and appear to be improving. Will Shanahan have playoff success, or win a SB, who knows, but after the joke that was 2 years of Jim Zorn I feel lucky to have Shanahan leading the Skins.

Old
09-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Duke33

Quote:
The facts are the facts, and I listed some that you conviently ignored. Shanahan is a very good NFL coach. The Skins are younger, more atheletic, and appear to be improving. Will Shanahan have playoff success, or win a SB, who knows, but after the joke that was 2 years of Jim Zorn I feel lucky to have Shanahan leading the Skins.
What facts lol? About Jimmy Johnson? Yeah Shanahan will probably be a HOF coach. That doesn't change the fact that for the last 11 seasons, he hasn't been successful despite having some pretty talented teams in Denver. You're hanging laurels on the guy based on him winning two SBs over a decade ago. He's better than Zorn sure, but that isn't saying much. I'm simply saying the jury is still out on him here, considering he hasn't done anything lately. I'm not ready to throw a parade based on a 2-0 record, especially given as the Skins have looked far from perfect in those two games.

Again, I'm sure we're all excited he was able to win two SBs with a HOF quarterback and stacked roster. That bears absolutely nothing on what he does with the Redskins. What he's done lately carries more weight to me than what he did in the 90s.

Old
09-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Shanny and Allen have RINGS. Plural.

Trust me, I'll be the first to buy the Bruce Boudreau collector dinner plates if the Caps win the Stanley Cup.
Thought Allen had just one, with TB? He never won anything in Oakland--

Old
09-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Burke got himself a Cup in Anaheim. That doesn't seem to be helping him in Toronto.

I'm more concerned with a coach's or GM's recent (like, last two or three years) history than what they did long ago, and with a different organization.

09-20-2011, 11:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Pro sports has been and always will be about "what have you done for me lately". To brush off the 1 win in 11 years stat shows me people ignore what they want to favor their position. Shanny will always be a Superbowl winning coach. 1 win in 11 years in the playoffs isn't earning him any bonus points (or somehow enhancing his resume). The simple truth....his postseason record is embarassing sans Elway and Davis.

Just enjoy the start. This could just as easily turn into a team that goes into the crapper. If they don't stay close to perfect on the injury front, the fragile house of cards will collapse. Way too early to gloat.

Old
09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
WetHog

Quote:
What facts lol? About Jimmy Johnson? Yeah Shanahan will probably be a HOF coach. That doesn't change the fact that for the last 11 seasons, he hasn't been successful despite having some pretty talented teams in Denver. You're hanging laurels on the guy based on him winning two SBs over a decade ago. He's better than Zorn sure, but that isn't saying much. I'm simply saying the jury is still out on him here, considering he hasn't done anything lately. I'm not ready to throw a parade based on a 2-0 record, especially given as the Skins have looked far from perfect in those two games.

Again, I'm sure we're all excited he was able to win two SBs with a HOF quarterback and stacked roster. That bears absolutely nothing on what he does with the Redskins. What he's done lately carries more weight to me than what he did in the 90s.
I am hanging my hat on nothing in regards to Coaches with past SB success. I learned my lesson from Gibbs Part Duh. I just stated I felt it was silly for some to dismiss Shanahan's back to back SB's because he has had limited playoff success since. And bringing up Jimmy Johnson and Don Shula was part of that.

Shanahan is a good coach, his past record and success in rebuilding this team to this point proves it. Will he bring SB glory back to DC, I hope so, but right now I am just happy to have an actual NFL caliber coach leading the team after the 2 years of comedy that was the Jim Zorn era.

Also, Allen doesn't have a SB ring. His first year as TB GM was 2004.

Old
09-21-2011, 09:22 AM
WetHog

Quote:

I am hanging my hat on nothing in regards to Coaches with past SB success. I learned my lesson from Gibbs Part Duh. I just stated I felt it was silly for some to dismiss Shanahan's back to back SB's because he has had limited playoff success since. And bringing up Jimmy Johnson and Don Shula was part of that.

Shanahan is a good coach, his past record and success in rebuilding this team to this point proves it. Will he bring SB glory back to DC, I hope so, but right now I am just happy to have an actual NFL caliber coach leading the team after the 2 years of comedy that was the Jim Zorn era.

Also, Allen doesn't have a SB ring. His first year as TB GM was 2004.

Old
09-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I will say, I'm more than down with what D-Hall is saying.

Old
09-21-2011, 04:19 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I will say, I'm more than down with what D-Hall is saying.
I agree so long as MeAngelo can back it up. And with the Crackboys best WRs doubtful to play, MeAngelo better.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

Same with the Chiefs. They have Cassel signed to a significant contract so trading a potential #1 overall pick away for multiple picks might make more sense so they can stock their roster. Where as the Seahawks would be complete idiots if they had a shot to draft Luck and didn't.
Cassel sucks and Haley is not a fan

He is on verge of losing his starting job IMO

His last 4 games

wk 17 vs Oak 11-33 115 yds 3 INT's
Div rd vs Bal 9-18 70 yds 3 INT
wk 1 vs Buf 22-36 119 yds 1 TD / 1 INT
wk 2 vs Det 15-22 133 yds 3 INT

His last 4 games he has thrown 1 TD / 9 INT's with pathetic yardage #'s

Chiefs wont pass up Luck because of Cassel

Old
09-22-2011, 11:52 AM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Cassel sucks and Haley is not a fan

He is on verge of losing his starting job IMO

His last 4 games

wk 17 vs Oak 11-33 115 yds 3 INT's
Div rd vs Bal 9-18 70 yds 3 INT
wk 1 vs Buf 22-36 119 yds 1 TD / 1 INT
wk 2 vs Det 15-22 133 yds 3 INT

His last 4 games he has thrown 1 TD / 9 INT's with pathetic yardage #'s

Chiefs wont pass up Luck because of Cassel
Well according to some on here Cassel is a legit NFL QB and we would be lucky to have him as QB for the Skins, but that is a topic for another day. Cassel has sucked to this point this year, but so has the entire Chiefs team. My point was the Chiefs might be more inclined to trade out of the #1 overall pick to pick up more draft picks to bolster their roster, where as the Seahawks would be bat **** crazy not to take Luck.

I think any team, no matter who is on their roster, would be bat **** crazy not to take Luck after watching 3 1/2 quarters of him against Arizona. He reminds me of Elway in every way. Truely a must have.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Why not. Neck injuries are very serious. PM could be on borrowed time right now. It also just got a LOT cheaper to have a 1st rounder holding a clipboard for a few years.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:40 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Why not. Neck injuries are very serious. PM could be on borrowed time right now. It also just got a LOT cheaper to have a 1st rounder holding a clipboard for a few years.
The Colts very well could take Luck if in the position to, and who could blame them, but the X factor here is Manning. He is the king of Indy and any scenario that involved drafting a very high profile player to replace him would no doubt need to be approved by Manning. I would think he would be up for it, but I also figured Favre would feel the same way when Rodgers was drafted. Obviously that wasn't the case.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:52 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
I feel like Manning is a lot less of a tool than Favre though (although I've got nothing to back it up, except a complete lack of photos of his tool on the internet). The situation is slightly different as well; Favre kept coming back to play; if Manning is out with a neck injury, that won't be an option for him.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:52 PM
WetHog

Just heard an updated injury report for the Crackboys and its not good.....for.....them. Besides Romo, Jones, Austin, and Bryant being questionable or out, it sounds like the"Boys" will be without their starting center, both starting LG and back up LG, and a starting CB.

The Skins have more than a puncher's chance with these injuries, and at this point should be favorites. Sure anything can happen when these two teams get together, but the "Boys" are in a similar injury situation as the Giants. The Skins need to take advantage and remain undefeated in the East.

Old
09-22-2011, 03:20 PM
EroCaps

Shanahan and Allen have 4 rings combined. Allen has a GM of the year award as well.

The Skins are obviously better and the cynics are grasping.

This is why for the billionth time, you don't listen to analysts and make pre-season predictions based on FA signings and paper line-ups.

If anyone should know this, it's Caps fans.

Old
09-22-2011, 03:41 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

....Caps do just fine in the first two games of the regular season

Closed Thread