HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 Redskins Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2011, 11:34 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Has Torain even played in the preseason yet? He was a beast last year but I haven't heard anything about him this year.

I will probably take Gaffney in my fantasy league. He's not on a great team and he's not the best receiver, but to me he's always had a knack for making big third down and end zone plays.

Zone blocking is nothing new anymore. It's still effective, but I'm surprised it still works as well as it does. What scares me about the Skins run game is that Shanahan seems to believe that all RBs are interchangeable. Hopefully he doesn't start benching guys like Hightower and Helu. I don't see it, but with him you never know. If Torain comes back healthy that could be a whole different problem with all 3.
Torain broke his hand on a helmet but is returning this week. He'll play one of the last games. People forget he was a beast last year in limited carries. His #s were similar to Hightower's. He should be the favorite to be the #2, if not challenge for #1.

Old
08-20-2011, 01:37 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Well, both Rex and Beck have shown that they can efficiently run Kyle's offense against vanilla defensive schemes. That's as much as they can prove in the pre-season, and they've checked off every box. Now it's just a question of whether Shanny favors Rex's experience or Beck's legs and decision-making (or, rather, lack of established track record of making bad decisions).

Don't see any reason why Beck wouldn't be the starter. If we had a world-class defense and a great OL, you might pick Grossman because he's a known comodity who can be an average NFL QB in this offense. However, given that the Skins are nowhere close to gelled on defense or strong on the OL, there's no reason not to give the wildcard a try and see if Beck is the real deal. He's demonstrated the threshold competency necessary to justify giving him a shot. Now we just sit back and see if all that hard work he's put in allows him to read real coverages in real games.

Old
08-20-2011, 08:20 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Tim Hightower looks like a beast in that zone blocking scheme for you guys, hes my top sleeper this year for fantasy football!

Old
08-20-2011, 09:24 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Beck has 7 fumbles in 5 NFL games. Thats Rypien Banks Culpepper esque numbers. I presume those horrible numbers have helped stunt his career. Otherwise his strengths are his mobility, and accuracy and zip on his short passes.

He did almost lose the ball on a sack but otherwise managed the offense well. He may have moved in front of Rex, well, because Rex like clockwork forced a throw into triple coverage and got picked.

Old
08-20-2011, 09:39 AM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Fumbles are the downside to a mobile QB. They are always trying to extend a play and that leads to blindside hits and strips. Having a mobile QB is nice though so I can live with fumbles.

Old
08-20-2011, 01:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm as excited about a preseason win as one should realistically get. No preseason game is going to silence any doubters yet.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
Old
08-20-2011, 01:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Tim Hightower looks like a beast in that zone blocking scheme for you guys, hes my top sleeper this year for fantasy football!
He's no sleeper. The guy was explosive for a few years in Arizona as a part time back with injury issues recently. If he stays healthy, Shanahan is going to ride him hard.

I have him projected to hit 8-10TDs(rush/rec) with a few long ones....if he can stay healthy. He's had fumble issues too...

Considering the Cardinals just lost Ryan Williams for the season, I'm guessing they're missing Hightower right about now.

Old
08-20-2011, 01:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Torain broke his hand on a helmet but is returning this week. He'll play one of the last games. People forget he was a beast last year in limited carries. His #s were similar to Hightower's. He should be the favorite to be the #2, if not challenge for #1.
I don't think anyone is forgetting. The guy has just had significant durability issues...if he can stay healthy he'll get a lot of touches...if not we could see him in the 3rb spot if Helu does well with his playing time.

Old
08-20-2011, 03:18 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Beck has 7 fumbles in 5 NFL games. Thats Rypien Banks Culpepper esque numbers. I presume those horrible numbers have helped stunt his career. Otherwise his strengths are his mobility, and accuracy and zip on his short passes.

He did almost lose the ball on a sack but otherwise managed the offense well. He may have moved in front of Rex, well, because Rex like clockwork forced a throw into triple coverage and got picked.
Beck played for one of the worst teams in NFL history the only year he started. The team was overhauled. He made a couple of impressive adjustments against Indy that I didn't see from Campbell in any of his starts.

If the running game and D continue to show improvement and the Skins get average QB work, they'll be an average team with upside and can re-evaluate the QB position next offseason if/when Beck doesn't emerge as a top 10 QB.

Old
08-20-2011, 03:20 PM
WetHog

Hightower has played in all 48 games in his 3 year career. Durability is not an issue, yet.

Old
08-20-2011, 07:00 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

We'll see more than one Qb start in the reg season no matter who is first. No big deal who wins the preseason job.

Old
08-20-2011, 07:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Hightower has played in all 48 games in his 3 year career. Durability is not an issue, yet.
You're right he didn't miss, he just barely played at all in 7 games last year (and in previous years). Some due to nagging injury, some due to coughing the ball up a LOT. He's a lock to miss time this season...he's NEVER shouldered much of a workload at the NFL level.

Old
08-20-2011, 09:35 PM
WetHog

Thats why I put "yet" at the end. He hasn't been the featured back before. He needs to prove he can carry the load, because Torain has proven he cannot.

I am excited about Helu. He reminds me a little of Robert Smith, and not just because they have the same number. Similar body type and Helu runs like Smith. Helu just needs to work a lot on his pass blocking.

Old
08-22-2011, 10:08 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Report: No One Over 13 Wants To Play QB For Redskins

Old
08-22-2011, 12:30 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

BB at skins practice is such cannon fodder for the masses. So many good jokes.

Old
08-22-2011, 01:27 PM
WetHog

To cut Torain, or not cut Torain, that is the question.

I think, barring an injury to the other RB's, Torain's days are numbered with the Skins. He still isn't cleared for full contact, so that means he misses another pre-season game, and his past injury problems is a significant issue. Throw in the fact that rookies Helu and Royster have performed in the pre-season, and that Keiland Williams is slated as the backup FB/3rd down back, and valued special teams player, where does that leave Torain? Out in the cold.

Old
08-22-2011, 02:17 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

'Rain doesnt play teams... not good trying to keep him as a #3 or 4 RB. Coupled with Banks taking a role of a return guy that will not be on coverage teams himself, it may hurt his chances. Of course, a few THT fumbles, Shanahan fuming mad and beat red, and Torrain is back as our starter in no time flat. Helu showed well and is guaranteed a spot. Let's say Royster shows real well against the Ravens and opens some eyes, like Arizona's RB starved GM. It's tick tock for Torrain.

But damn, it was great watching him break tackles last year. A man among boys. We haven't had a single player at HB\WR in probably 5+ years that could break a tackle. Between Portis and Moss, it just didnt happen. Torrain break tackle 99 but durability... 24 makes Mike a dull boy.

I am on record saying one or both of Torrain or Banks gets cut sometime this year. I can't remember what I said. Part of my prediction about Banks was that he was overdue for a shiat load of fumbles. Getting injured after 2 nice returns limits his chances for that. I have to say, Austin has looked damn good on returns himself, and he can run it up the gut.

Old
08-22-2011, 02:25 PM
WetHog

Torain can break tackles, but that skill comes with a price. A shame really.

As for Banks, I'd hate to see him get cut, but as good as he is returning how can the Skins justify him a spot with kickoff returns gone for the most part? Austin showed he can at least return punts, and he has made big strides as a WR. Can the same be said for Banks? Not so sure. Add to the fact that its been said the Skins will not be able to sneek Niles Paul on the practice squad, and Banks's gimpy knee, where does that leave Banks? Out in the cold as well.

Current WR's on the roster:

Moss - Makes roster
Armstrong - Makes roster
Gaffney - Makes roster
Austin - Makes roster
Hankerson - Makes roster
Kelly - Cut
Paul - ?
Stallworth - ?
Anderson - Cut
Robinson - Practice Squad
Banks - ?

I have 5 WR's as locks to make the roster. Subtract Kelly and Anderson, that leaves 3 WR's for 1 spot, and there is no garuntee the Skins keep 6 WR's. Stallworth has looked good to this point, and Paul won't make it past waivers to the practice squad. Leaves Banks in a tight spot, IMO.

Last edited by WetHog: 08-22-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old
08-22-2011, 02:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
'Rain doesnt play teams... not good trying to keep him as a #3 or 4 RB. Coupled with Banks taking a role of a return guy that will not be on coverage teams himself, it may hurt his chances. Of course, a few THT fumbles, Shanahan fuming mad and beat red, and Torrain is back as our starter in no time flat. Helu showed well and is guaranteed a spot. Let's say Royster shows real well against the Ravens and opens some eyes, like Arizona's RB starved GM. It's tick tock for Torrain.

But damn, it was great watching him break tackles last year. A man among boys. We haven't had a single player at HB\WR in probably 5+ years that could break a tackle. Between Portis and Moss, it just didnt happen. Torrain break tackle 99 but durability... 24 makes Mike a dull boy.

I am on record saying one or both of Torrain or Banks gets cut sometime this year. I can't remember what I said. Part of my prediction about Banks was that he was overdue for a shiat load of fumbles. Getting injured after 2 nice returns limits his chances for that. I have to say, Austin has looked damn good on returns himself, and he can run it up the gut.
My position is that Torrain is a dime a dozen NFL journeyman RB made to look decent in Shanahan's RB friendly system....I think many expect him to be cut or benched most of the year...I know I wouldn't buy a Torrain jersey. Banks on the other hand....is a playmaker on a team with few....he's staying unless he gets hurt or starts fumbling...

Old
08-22-2011, 05:08 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

With Kelly all but cut, and Hank a long ways away from being a top 3WR, I keep Stallworth this year. Here is my projected 5. Its a win now 5, since we brought in Atgowe Gaffney Stallworth Chester Bowen Cofield and Hightower - win now type pickups.

Moss Gaffney Stallworth Armstrong Austin
Hanks/Banks

Maybe Hank gets a Gibbs era injury in game 4 and gets IR'd. Otherwise, I wonder if Hankerson can play on teams. I saw him in pain after his first catch a week ago so my gut tells me probably not. If he cant play teams, its just another guy like a Banks or Torrain that pushed down the depth chart, that will force a starter to play on teams.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 08-22-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old
08-22-2011, 05:53 PM
WetHog

It is year 2 of the rebuild, hardly a win now scenario, IMO. Save for Stallworth and Gaffney, the rest of the FA you mentioned are in their 20's and counted on for the long hall, not a 1 year push.

Players like Hankerson, Paul, and Austin should take priority over a vet like Stallworth who has proven he cannot stay healthy for 16 games. The Skins have enough 30 year old WR's in Moss and Gaffney. And Armstrong is every bit of a deep threat that Stallworth is.

Moss
Gaffney
Armstrong
Austin
Hankerson
Paul

That is the right blend of experience and young talent. And if Banks must stay on the roster than Hankerson should be the one to go. I read up more on Niles Paul. Apparently he has been the better route runner, and shown better hands than Hankerson in camp. Both won't make it threw waivers to the practice squad. Trade bait then, hopefully.

PS: How refreshing is it to be discussing what talented WR won't make the team, instead of what re-tread WR will be added after 1st cuts? Progress is sweet.

Last edited by WetHog: 08-22-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old
08-22-2011, 07:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It is year 2 of the rebuild, hardly a win now scenario, IMO. Save for Stallworth and Gaffney, the rest of the FA you mentioned are in their 20's and counted on for the long hall, not a 1 year push.

Players like Hankerson, Paul, and Austin should take priority over a vet like Stallworth who has proven he cannot stay healthy for 16 games. The Skins have enough 30 year old WR's in Moss and Gaffney. And Armstrong is every bit of a deep threat that Stallworth is.

Moss
Gaffney
Armstrong
Austin
Hankerson
Paul

That is the right blend of experience and young talent. And if Banks must stay on the roster than Hankerson should be the one to go. I read up more on Niles Paul. Apparently he has been the better route runner, and shown better hands than Hankerson in camp. Both won't make it threw waivers to the practice squad. Trade bait then, hopefully.

PS: How refreshing is it to be discussing what talented WR won't make the team, instead of what re-tread WR will be added after 1st cuts? Progress is sweet.
It is a pleasant change, but with still no real #1 on the horizon, or even a pro-bowl potential young guy developing, still frustrating for me...Hankerson...meh....guys who have drop problems don't get long looks in the NFL. I still hope he can turn into a keeper, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old
08-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Foy

Quote:
It's like when Brian Pothier went from getting top pair minutes from the Caps to second pair. It was a step in the right direction, but Brian Potheir was still getting top 4 minutes.

Old
08-22-2011, 07:54 PM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
It is a pleasant change, but with still no real #1 on the horizon, or even a pro-bowl potential young guy developing, still frustrating for me...Hankerson...meh....guys who have drop problems don't get long looks in the NFL. I still hope he can turn into a keeper, but I'm not holding my breath.
Hankerson could develop into a fine #2, Austin a good slot/#3 guy, and don't snooze on Niles Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
It's like when Brian Pothier went from getting top pair minutes from the Caps to second pair. It was a step in the right direction, but Brian Potheir was still getting top 4 minutes.
Baby steps in the right direction are better than giant leaps the other way.

Old
08-22-2011, 08:18 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

While I admit most our pickups have made us younger, they are still vets we are bringing in. And not everyone is on their 20's. Atogwe is no spring chicken at age 30. Jamal Brown is 30 too, Moss of course was retained. Rex is 31. I am no expert on NFL rebuilds but without a young QB and picking up a healthy dose of proven vets, you are trying to win games. Now.

I know you need a blend of vets and yutes but we are talking Dan Snyder here. Look no further than a year ago to heavy win now moves. We have taken a new direction but we are not in full rebuild mode.

Paul has potential but IMO they are going to try to keep him under wraps and stash him on the PS. Maybe he is the litmus test. Stallworth or Paul. Stallworth is win now. I read he has rededicated himself. After his past, the only way to go is up.

Closed Thread