HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Redskins Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2011, 09:53 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Well I wouldn't suggest the motto is "maybe win now", but this team is not on the cusp of contending for a SB, so why take the time to add picks in the draft only to cut/lose the players you drafted? Why give a roster spot to a 30 year old WR with a well documented injury history (Stallworth) when you used 3 draft picks on WR's, and 2 of them (Hankerson and Paul) are showing true potential? Especially considering Armstrong stretches the field as well as Stallworth, but is more durable and already has 1 year in the offense.

You are right though, if they keep Stallworth and try to stash Hankerson or Paul on the PS it will say a lot. It will say Shanallenhan wasted 3 draft picks on WR's that cannot help the team this year. It would be like Uncle Vinny never left.

Old
08-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Roccoman

a town like DC always needs their foozball team to "contend", at least on paper. a true development year would go over like steak dinner at a vegan wedding...

look at the best teams in the NFC (cuz looking at the AFC is scary) and tell me how many of those teams you truly believe the Skins will finish ahead of... just looking over the NFC i see at least 8 teams that will finish ahead of the Skins.

viva la rebuild!

Old
08-23-2011, 07:00 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Shanahan said last year IIRC you dont keep a player just because you spent a pick on him, if there is someone better. Win now words but we have changed our tune. It will be interesting to see what he does with Hank. They need to cater some routes for him, I believe, to contribute this year. Across the middle, forget it. I am predicting him on IR to start the year.

Things could be worse for Washington right now. Anyone want a glass of kool aid? Sure I never learn, I am always optimistic even when our team sucks on paper. We had two different QB's survive a half of football.

The Giants secondary is nicked up. The way to beat the Eagles is to take out Vick, even we figured that out. The dream team will more be in a coma without him. Dallas usually self destructs if you give them enough time, Jerry Jones is almost as bad as Danny. Speaking of predictable owners, shocker Al Davis went and got Pryor. I heard that Jason Campbell got a concussion. I have long thought oversized head gear contributes to concussions more than it prevents. Helmuts almost green light players to hit with their heads.

Viva la leather helmuts.

Old
08-23-2011, 08:41 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

I think someone like Mike Ditka said the way to stop helmut to helmut hits is to take away helmuts completely. I would agree with that actually.

As for the other teams in the NFC East, you hit the nail on the head RH. I would add though, based on observations and comments on the Eagles LB's, the way to beat them, besides taking out Vick, is to run the ball right at them. Wear them out, especially considering they will have a rookie at MLB.

I also understand what your saying about dumping draft picks if they don't help, but the young guys need to be developed, and Hankerson and Paul have shown potential. It would be a mistake, IMO, to keep both Armstrong and Stallworth on the roster at the expense of either Hankerson and Paul. We will have to see though, first cut down to 80 is this weekend I believe.

Old
08-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Roccoman

wethog - while i cannot argue with any of your points, your post would be infinitely more legit if you ended with a italicized post script of some kind.

viva la old wide-outs!

Old
08-23-2011, 11:15 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
wethog - while i cannot argue with any of your points, your post would be infinitely more legit if you ended with a italicized post script of some kind.

viva la old wide-outs!
I will work on it for sure. How about this one?

viva la just ****ing win!

Old
08-23-2011, 12:24 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Its an old formula to use ball control aka milking the clock to keep a stud opposition QB off the field. But you must finish those drives, with TD's more often than not. Our passing game in the red zone has been horrible for years maybe decades. Now with the ZBS and cough amateur hour QB's, its still no cake walk. I think having less stout lineman makes running in goal to go a bit more difficult. Tall boy Kelly is out, Hank is not ready. During the Gibbs / Zorn years, it was awkward watching us go one wide (Thrash) in our goal to go package, Cooley triple teamed. Then we started using Moss, no help there really. I suspect like in years past, we will lack that red zone threat at wideout. We need some beef at WR that can block or go up and get the facking ball running across the back of the zone. Maybe it will be on Gaffney. I wonder if Stallworth can catch that end zone fade. We havent had a WR that can run that play.

Back on point, its critical to score early to take out a stud QB. Our bend dont breaks of years past, and last years zippy 3-4, always put our offense behind from the start.

I want a defense that goes after QB's. Maybe this will be the year. Tongs Carter is gone replaced by Kerrigan. I saw Orakpo in coverage for the first time maybe ever last week, and he didnt look stiff. Kerrigan looked fluid, I was thrilled. They must be able to cover so we can disguise who is coming, you know, the beauty of the 3-4. Landry looks like a beast... on the sideline. We need to bring it damnit.

Maybe DHall will get after Vick like he did last year. He got a good pop on him before eventually knocking him out on that goal line sandwich.

Viva la malachi crunch.

Heck, viva definition #3 too

Last edited by RandyHolt: 08-23-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: viva le edits
Old
08-23-2011, 01:33 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Shanahan said last year IIRC you dont keep a player just because you spent a pick on him, if there is someone better. Win now words but we have changed our tune. It will be interesting to see what he does with Hank. They need to cater some routes for him, I believe, to contribute this year. Across the middle, forget it. I am predicting him on IR to start the year.

Things could be worse for Washington right now. Anyone want a glass of kool aid? Sure I never learn, I am always optimistic even when our team sucks on paper. We had two different QB's survive a half of football.

The Giants secondary is nicked up. The way to beat the Eagles is to take out Vick, even we figured that out. The dream team will more be in a coma without him. Dallas usually self destructs if you give them enough time, Jerry Jones is almost as bad as Danny. Speaking of predictable owners, shocker Al Davis went and got Pryor. I heard that Jason Campbell got a concussion. I have long thought oversized head gear contributes to concussions more than it prevents. Helmuts almost green light players to hit with their heads.

Viva la leather helmuts.
Hankerson has no problem getting open and even had a little bit of after-the-catch ability I wasn't aware of against the Colts.

McCardell believes in him, they drafted him high, he has more talent than Niles Paul (who has been very solid). I would bet money they give him time to get the rookie jitters out and work with him on drops. He does have great hands to begin with so it can be fixed.

I predict Niles Paul to PS and Banks to IR with Hankerson and Austin making the team, unless Banks makes a complete recovery.

Austin has done everything right and they love him.

Old
08-23-2011, 06:20 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Just ran into this little gem while reading the Skins Insider blog:

"Unlike previous preseason games, the Redskins game planned for the Ravens."

So thursday night will give us a nice insight in what to expect from this years team. Its still the pre-season to be sure, but actual game planning will give us a brief glimps into how the Shanahan's plan to use the players they collected.

Old
08-23-2011, 09:37 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

It almost seems a given that a WR makes it to IR. My initial guess is on Hank to somehow get stuck on IR, but to be honest, I want him on the team. We need a dude with big hands that can jump to work the back of the end zone. Make the guy do a shot of tequila before the game. Its all mental. I wonder if they make him make tough catches he wont have Steve Sax Syndrome as often. At least if he drops it, fans wont be all over the kid. I wonder if Becks belly throws are better for him. Beck zips it in the gut, you almost cant drop his.

Signs are pointing to Banks on the DL, including Hank having a decent showing last week. Banks tweets saying he is fine blah blah blah are not to be trusted. When is the last time you heard a guy getting PRP. I didnt realize his knee has been facked up since November. So yeah Ero, its becoming more likely he's the one stashed on IR.

Old
08-24-2011, 08:45 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Steinberg thinks the Skins go 8-8. How anyone looks at this team and goes, "Yeah, they'll win two more games than last year" I have no f'ing clue.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:01 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Steinberg thinks the Skins go 8-8. How anyone looks at this team and goes, "Yeah, they'll win two more games than last year" I have no f'ing clue.
You obviously haven't seen the Bills this preseason. Compared to them, the Skins look like they'll go 16-0.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:07 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Holdover players have a year in the system under their belt, and both the offense and defense are improved over last year, on paper at least. Add to it a good showing so far in the pre-season, and teams like the Giants losing starters and key reserves for the season, and that leads some to raise expectations.

For me, I have been pleased with what I have seen so far, but I am still looking at this year as a rebuilding one, not a contending one. Tomorrow night will show a lot to me. 3rd pre-season game is the most significant usually, and with word coming down that the Skins will actually game plan the Ravens, that will be the case. Especially against a playoff team.

Having said all that, Sept. 11 is where real questions will be answered. Still 6 wins from me until the live bullets are flying.

Old
08-24-2011, 09:27 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Skins haven't reached the bengals level of suck either.

Give the job to 2nd rd rookie qb, sign every recently cut vet, and keep Marvin Lewis as head coach = championship... In the race for luck.

Though I'm sure the bengals would trade that pick instead of taking the best qb prospect in years.

Old
08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
EroCaps

The Skins are deeper, more talented and polished than they were last year. There's no reason to expect they won't be better unless you're assuming critical injury or you just don't know the game. Or hate.

I forgot younger.

Last edited by EroCaps: 08-24-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old
08-24-2011, 12:52 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
The Skins are deeper, more talented and polished than they were last year. There's no reason to expect they won't be better unless you're assuming critical injury or you just don't know the game. Or hate.
Who's the starting QB of this team?

I rest my case...regardless of your answer.

Old
08-24-2011, 12:56 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The ironing in this thread is delicious.

Old
08-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Who's the starting QB of this team?

I rest my case...regardless of your answer.
From what I can tell it's either a career backup or some dude.

08-24-2011, 03:08 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I am equally dumbfounded how anyone could call this team improved or deeper.

The only reason this team isn't considered the least talented in the league, is because Carolina and Buffalo still have teams.

Donovan McNabb is at least a legitimate NFL starter. The Redskins don't have a single plus starter on the offensive side of the ball (meaning in the top half of the league as a starter) at any position other than POSSIBLY te.

Defense isn't a whole lot better.

08-24-2011, 03:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Because critical injuries never happen and the teams who look better on paper in the summer ALWAYS equate to better records when the games are actually played right?

Sorry, the Skins have won many a "summer" titles with big moves in free agency. The fact remains that the NFL is a QB driven league and we've got average guys at best....

Old
08-24-2011, 04:08 PM
EroCaps

Beck or Grossman will be better than McNabb was last season. He who refused to learn/play the system.

Hate on.

Skins are trending up and have competent leadership.

Old
08-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Beck or Grossman will be better than McNabb was last season. He who refused to learn/play the system.

Hate on.

Warden is right in his talent assesment. Who on this team is a Pro Bowler quality? Orakpo, and then? Uh....?? I like Fletcher a lot, and he's a tough SOB, but he's getting long in the tooth.

Cooley is good, but only plays 75% of the season at best. TWilliams *could* be good. Same with DHall.

The ONLY chance this team has to be close to 500 is system, cohesiveness, and lucky bounces. It is NOT talent. As quoted above, maybe Buff and Car have less talent. Seattle or Cleveland. That's it.

Old
08-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:

Hate on.

We aren't haterzzrzrzzz. We're honest.

Old
08-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I am equally dumbfounded how anyone could call this team improved or deeper.

The only reason this team isn't considered the least talented in the league, is because Carolina and Buffalo still have teams.

Donovan McNabb is at least a legitimate NFL starter. The Redskins don't have a single plus starter on the offensive side of the ball (meaning in the top half of the league as a starter) at any position other than POSSIBLY te.

Defense isn't a whole lot better.
I think the defense is a bit better.

But they're going to be awful.

SUCK FOR LUCK!

and I wish I would be wrong.

Old
08-24-2011, 06:03 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Haters or living in a fantasy world....coin toss...

Closed Thread