HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Canucks tough enough?

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2011, 12:44 AM
PAZ

vCash: 500
You don't kneed a tough team to win the cup. It definitely does help, but it's not essential. I'd say theres a difference between toughness and powerfowards as well.

I'd say one of the reasons people question the Canucks toughness is just the Sedins cycle game. In the playoffs, they literally get abused to no tommorow because thats their style along the boards. While it keeps the Nucks in the opposing end, I'd say the Bruins almost gained some momentum at some points when that happened because they were just able to push them around.

Old
08-14-2011, 02:00 AM
vt89*

To be tough is to stand up to someone. Daniel didn't do that. He had Marchand feeding him punches to the temporal lobe over and over and he stood there and stared at the ref.

That is not toughness. That is submissiveness. Now if it were a different game and the result was still in question; i.e. not an asskicking then yes, I would agree that it takes some self restraint to not retaliate. But in this situation the only thing you can do to keep your dignity is respond physically.

Old
08-14-2011, 07:49 AM
billvanseattle

Sorry but the Art Ross trophy winner deserves a little respect. Pitiful refereeing doesn't make it Danny's fault. Yes it would be preferable if the twins occasionally did something to one of their abusers like elbowed him to the ground, but its just not the way they play ...

Old
08-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Mudshark50

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Sorry but the Art Ross trophy winner deserves a little respect. Pitiful refereeing doesn't make it Danny's fault. Yes it would be preferable if the twins occasionally did something to one of their abusers like elbowed him to the ground, but its just not the way they play ...
Like a Pavel Bure flying elbow?

Old
08-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Whale

This guy would be good, getting a fighter is not difficult. I would be more worried if we were looking for a #1 goalie, or an elite scoring forward... Grit is cheap and plentyful.

Old
08-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
This guy would be good, getting a fighter is not difficult. I would be more worried if we were looking for a #1 goalie, or an elite scoring forward... Grit is cheap and plentyful.

I actually really like Bodie, I've been hoping MG would look into him for the last year or so

Old
08-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Whale

also, it is interesting that this discussion is coming up so much the year after the Canucks put a huge emphasis on playing disciplined and between the whistles

fans were not so impressed with the idea of the Sedins fighting back against Bolland and Co the year before in the playoffs.... remember the penalties? Remember when Burrows and Keslers games were riddled with bad penalties, do we really need that again to prove that we have 'grit'?

Don't forget that we have some toughness on the back end too - Bieksa, Rome and Alberts can all handle themselves in a fight, I have no idea why fans have so little respect for the toughness that Rome adds to the lineup, thats why you often see him on with the twins btw

Good teams make em pay on the PP, that is what worked for us in the regular season, just didn't work in the Final because we ran up against a goalie and injuries, get over it, keep the prospects, keep Schnieder and we'll be back there soon enough

/end all summer threads

Old
08-14-2011, 11:42 AM
droller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt89 View Post
When one of the leaders of your team is standing there taking punch after punch after punch after the play in game 6 of the stanley cup final when the game has been decided, not in your favor, and he doesn't even think of retaliating then you're not tough enough.

I knew we had lost it all when Daniel did that. Disgusting.
Disagree.

We didn't lose the series because Daniel took punches from Marchand. We lost it because we couldn't score on the god damn power play. If we scored a few goals on the PP the games in Boston would have been different. Clowns like Marchand wouldn't have had the balls to take liberties on Daniel like that if we could ****ing score on the power play!!

Just thinking about it is just insanely tilting. Ugh.

Honestly though, I don't think were too far off "toughness" wise. We are still a fast, hard hitting team.

Old
08-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstriker045 View Post
You don't kneed a tough team to win the cup. It definitely does help, but it's not essential. I'd say theres a difference between toughness and powerfowards as well.
For this particular thread yes,
regardless the top six definitely needs a power forward, whom are usually tough as well to boot.

Old
08-14-2011, 02:41 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
For this particular thread yes,
regardless the top six definitely needs a power forward, whom are usually tough as well to boot.
Well if you read HFboards, David Booth is a Power forward, so is Drew Stafford....neither of those guys are going to strike fear into defensman going back for the puck.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Well if you read HFboards, David Booth is a Power forward, so is Drew Stafford....neither of those guys are going to strike fear into defensman going back for the puck.
Its why Shane Doan is so popular amongst us Canuck HF'ers to acquire for our hopefully next crack at the cup.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
also, it is interesting that this discussion is coming up so much the year after the Canucks put a huge emphasis on playing disciplined and between the whistles

fans were not so impressed with the idea of the Sedins fighting back against Bolland and Co the year before in the playoffs.... remember the penalties? Remember when Burrows and Keslers games were riddled with bad penalties, do we really need that again to prove that we have 'grit'?
Yup. The Canucks gameplan was clearly to not get sucked into the Bruins post-whistle crap, but when the refs let it happen (and we don't score on the PP anyway) it just makes us look like *****es.

If it was called correctly (Marchand gets 2 minutes immediately and Daniel does not get a 10-min) and hypothetically the Canucks were able to score on the PP from plays like this and subsequently win the series, looking back we'd talk about the 'incredible composure' displayed by Daniel.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
They need a big, strong, tough forward that can work well with the Sedins. Someone like a Milan Lucic.

Old
08-14-2011, 03:55 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Yup. The Canucks gameplan was clearly to not get sucked into the Bruins post-whistle crap, but when the refs let it happen (and we don't score on the PP anyway) it just makes us look like *****es.

If it was called correctly (Marchand gets 2 minutes immediately and Daniel does not get a 10-min) and hypothetically the Canucks were able to score on the PP from plays like this and subsequently win the series, looking back we'd talk about the 'incredible composure' displayed by Daniel.
THat 10 minute misconduct pretty was the biggest joke call of the series. 10 minutes for asking why getting punched in the face isnt a penalty.

The game was decided at that time anyways, but that was the final stamp on the mess that became finals officiating.

If they like the game played like that, call it that way all season....if not, dont give me 2 different standards.

Its a joke.

edit. 4 games for Rome was worse, but that compounded it.

Old
08-14-2011, 04:02 PM
PAZ

Quote:
THat 10 minute misconduct pretty was the biggest joke call of the series. 10 minutes for asking why getting punched in the face isnt a penalty.

The game was decided at that time anyways, but that was the final stamp on the mess that became finals officiating.

If they like the game played like that, call it that way all season....if not, dont give me 2 different standards.

Its a joke.

edit. 4 games for Rome was worse, but that compounded it.
It's easier said then done. Season hockey and Playoff hockey are almost a competely different game.

Old
08-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
Disagree.

We didn't lose the series because Daniel took punches from Marchand. We lost it because we couldn't score on the god damn power play. If we scored a few goals on the PP the games in Boston would have been different. Clowns like Marchand wouldn't have had the balls to take liberties on Daniel like that if we could ****ing score on the power play!!

Just thinking about it is just insanely tilting. Ugh.

Honestly though, I don't think were too far off "toughness" wise. We are still a fast, hard hitting team.
THANK YOU...

... The team is significantly tough enough. Scoring was the problem.

Old
08-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
They need a big, strong, tough forward that can work well with the Sedins. Someone like a Milan Lucic.
False..

.. When two guys go back to back years leading the league in scoring, they don't "need" anything but what they got.

Old
08-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

I wouldn't call them pyhsically intimidating, but they are a very skilled opponent.

Old
08-14-2011, 06:28 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

To be fair, people don't give enough credit to the injuries the Canucks had

Old
08-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 12206
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
It still feels like the same old excuse to me. I used the injury excuse when most of our defense was down against Chicago in 2010. I feel like I need a new excuse this time around.

Yeah I know injuries hurt the team's chances badly in both playoffs. But is it a question of not playing smart and not being durable enough? Who freakin' knows. I think luck plays a big part too. Sometimes you get hurt and sometimes you get lucky.

Old
08-14-2011, 06:43 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
First Bruins fans post I have respected since the finals.

Old
08-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 12206
Quote:
First Bruins fans post I have respected since the finals.
There have been a few; Hawks fans too.

Old
08-14-2011, 07:39 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt89 View Post
To be tough is to stand up to someone. Daniel didn't do that. He had Marchand feeding him punches to the temporal lobe over and over and he stood there and stared at the ref.

That is not toughness. That is submissiveness. Now if it were a different game and the result was still in question; i.e. not an asskicking then yes, I would agree that it takes some self restraint to not retaliate. But in this situation the only thing you can do to keep your dignity is respond physically.
Daniel punching him back in retaliation isn't going to affect anything. The Bruins aren't going to back off all of a sudden just because of one player's actions. It has to come from the entire team. And when that happens... you get what we saw in the 2010 series against the Hawks.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - we didn't lose because we didn't send a message to the other team, or a lack of toughness. We lost because of injuries and the fact that we couldn't freaking score when it counted.

Old
08-14-2011, 09:39 PM
ProstheticConscience
Uber-Koenig

You know what I think about whenever I hear Daniel getting trashed for not decking Marchand, aside from the round against Chicago when he did fight back and everyone was praising Bolland for getting the Sedins off their game? When Bieksa fought Marleau. He did fight back (and kicked Marleau's ass) and people were going on and on about how dirty and cheap it was for him to fight at all in that situation.

Old
08-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
You know what I think about whenever I hear Daniel getting trashed for not decking Marchand, aside from the round against Chicago when he did fight back and everyone was praising Bolland for getting the Sedins off their game? When Bieksa fought Marleau. He did fight back (and kicked Marleau's ass) and people were going on and on about how dirty and cheap it was for him to fight at all in that situation.
HF logic. Fortunately, it doesn't apply in real life, and the Oiler fans who spew it are still wallowing in the basement of the division hoping Taylor Hall and RNH develop when they're surrounded by raw prospects, washed-up vets, linemates made of porcelain and turds.

Closed Thread