HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 Traverse City Prospects Tournament Roster

Old
09-08-2011, 04:39 PM
92hatchattack

vCash: 500
I cant wait to watch some ****ing hockey tomorrow!!!!

*edit* saturday i mean... wtf.. today should be friday!

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:15 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
it is true that our depth on the blueline mitigates the need for mcilrath to reach his absolute potential...with that said though, id be fairly disappointed with a #5 defenseman with a top 10 pick.
if that happens, the pick will have been a bigtime swing and miss for gordie. as ive said before, #5 guys who are physical can be found below the 10th pick. or as free agents.

guys like tarasenko, fowler, kuznetsov and even gormley usually arent found in lower rounds. and all 4 of them were chosen after we chose big mac.

still dont believe hes not in the hf50. hes the highest draft pick not to be there and that sucks.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if that happens, the pick will have been a bigtime swing and miss for gordie. as ive said before, #5 guys who are physical can be found below the 10th pick. or as free agents.

guys like tarasenko, fowler, kuznetsov and even gormley usually arent found in lower rounds. and all 4 of them were chosen after we chose big mac.

still dont believe hes not in the hf50. hes the highest draft pick not to be there and that sucks.
There is definitely a semantics issue at play here though.... When people hear #5 defenseman, they think of a 3rd pairing defenseman, which typically are not all that impressive players.... However the issue at hand here is the current NYR depth chart... I think for the poster earlier to call him a #5 defenseman, he probably believes that Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer are not going anywhere and have solidified our top 4 for the foreseeable future... Important to distinguish the difference between a player who tops out as a 3rd pairing defenseman, on any team, vs. a player who has 2nd pairing aptitude but finds himself on the 3rd pairing due to organizational depth on the team he plays for... When Pronger was healthy, Mezsaros played on Philly's 3rd pairing....

Rangers will be spending a significant amount of additional cap space on their defense as Sauer & McDonagh get older and as Girardi and Staal approach their next contracts as UFA's.... If other defensemen have progressed nicely and our depth looks good among prospects, I could see us parting ways with one of our current top-4 defensemen, whether it be through a trade or not negotiating a new contract for a UFA (Girardi?)....

Me, I will be quite pleased if McIlrath develops into a competent and capable 2nd pairing defenseman in the Brooks Orpik/ Douglas Murray mold.... I'll be less pleased but still content if he develops into a 3rd pairing d-man who gives us a physical presence and snarl that we don't currently possess on the blueline.... If he doesn't make the NHL at all, I would be quite disappointed....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
There is definitely a semantics issue at play here though.... When people hear #5 defenseman, they think of a 3rd pairing defenseman, which typically are not all that impressive players.... However the issue at hand here is the current NYR depth chart... I think for the poster earlier to call him a #5 defenseman, he probably believes that Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer are not going anywhere and have solidified our top 4 for the foreseeable future... Important to distinguish the difference between a player who tops out as a 3rd pairing defenseman, on any team, vs. a player who has 2nd pairing aptitude but finds himself on the 3rd pairing due to organizational depth on the team he plays for... When Pronger was healthy, Mezsaros played on Philly's 3rd pairing....

Rangers will be spending a significant amount of additional cap space on their defense as Sauer & McDonagh get older and as Girardi and Staal approach their next contracts as UFA's.... If other defensemen have progressed nicely and our depth looks good among prospects, I could see us parting ways with one of our current top-4 defensemen, whether it be through a trade or not negotiating a new contract for a UFA (Girardi?)....

Me, I will be quite pleased if McIlrath develops into a competent and capable 2nd pairing defenseman in the Brooks Orpik/ Douglas Murray mold.... I'll be less pleased but still content if he develops into a 3rd pairing d-man who gives us a physical presence and snarl that we don't currently possess on the blueline.... If he doesn't make the NHL at all, I would be quite disappointed....
well, yes, but when i say #5 defenseman, i mean just that...a 3rd pairing defenseman, not necessarily a 3rd pairing defenseman on a very deep defensive team.

if he turns out to be a #2 or 3 who is forced to play #5 because of our depth, im ecstatic....but if hes a #5 or worse on 90% of the teams out there, id be disappointed.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
well, yes, but when i say #5 defenseman, i mean just that...a 3rd pairing defenseman, not necessarily a 3rd pairing defenseman on a very deep defensive team.

if he turns out to be a #2 or 3 who is forced to play #5 because of our depth, im ecstatic....but if hes a #5 or worse on 90% of the teams out there, id be disappointed.
Oh, I wasn't referring to your earlier post, some other poster "Ohhbaby" I think, mentioned #5 defenseman... Was he alluding to your post? I think it's much easier to talk in pairings instead... 1st, 2nd, 3rd....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:22 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Cerny's chat today

Quote:
Jim Cerny: Niki, hard to take anything too serious away from these informal skates, but I have been very impressed with the play of Tim Erixon in the scrimmages, and the 2 scrimmages Chris Kreider played in last week before he headed back to school...those are the two that have stood out to me...maybe kids trying harder than the vets before camp, dunno, but they looked good!
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/71...ve-chat-replay

Looking forward to seeing Erixon.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Cerny's chat today

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/71...ve-chat-replay

Looking forward to seeing Erixon.
All signs point to him making the team, no?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
eh, informal scrimmages are just that...informal. let's see how he does in a few preseason games.

Old
09-08-2011, 07:32 PM
grsbmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Sep 8, 2011 12:45p

Matt Rust, a 5-10 center from U of Michigan (5-21-26 in 44 G last season), added to NYR Traverse City roster

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/stevezipay/status/111842543410479104
You guys got a steal picking up Matt Rust as a free agent. I spent 4 years watching him at Michigan and I'm dumbfounded that Columbus didn't sign him (especially after trading a solid prospect to acquire him earlier this year).

He's the kind of guy who's never going to put up huge offensive numbers, but he's rock solid defensively, probably ready right now to step into a 4th line penalty killing role in the big league if a team wanted to roll the dice, and ready for a bigger role than that in the minors if not.

grsbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Barnaby

I'm excited about Erixon... Mcilrath might be a fine partner for him in the future... The big angry defensive guy, and the solid 2-way stoic type. I like.

Mcilrath - Erixon ... 2013!!!

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsbmd View Post
You guys got a steal picking up Matt Rust as a free agent. I spent 4 years watching him at Michigan and I'm dumbfounded that Columbus didn't sign him (especially after trading a solid prospect to acquire him earlier this year).

He's the kind of guy who's never going to put up huge offensive numbers, but he's rock solid defensively, probably ready right now to step into a 4th line penalty killing role in the big league if a team wanted to roll the dice, and ready for a bigger role than that in the minors if not.
don't think he's signed, just invited to the tourny

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:35 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Can't wait much longer...

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Erixon's going to open a lot of eyes. He can be Staal's defensive partner by next year if he proves he can handle playing on his off side. Pair Girardi with someone like Del Zotto. Book it.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:07 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Erixon has quite the resume. He has played 3 full seasons in the SEL. This includes 140 regular season games and 39 playoff games. He's also played at all levels of international play, including 12 international senior games this year (and all 9 of Sweden's WC games). All against men.

He's as ready as a prospect can be coming to North America. I'm excited to see how he fares in the NHL.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

I had no idea Rust wasn't signed. Retarded decision by Columbus. One of my favorite players on Michigan.

----

Anyone know if MSG is streamed anywhere?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
If McIlrath becomes a big, mean, quality #5 defenseman, I would be very happy. We already have Girardi and Sauer on the right side, so we don't need McIlrath to be a top-4 defenseman. If he's that, then it's really a bonus.

But if he merely becomes a very good third pair blueliner who can protect his teammates and nail the opposition into walls, then we got something very useful in him.
The guy was a top 10 pick. It would be a disgrace if thats all he becomes.

Yeah, everyone over-estimates just how valuable a #10 pick really is. I posted on that before. The fact is that most #10 picks do not become stars, nor even top-4 D/top-6 F. Getting a solid #5 defenseman is right about what you can reasonably expect.

But people tends to focus on the few successes while ignoring the far larger number of failures.

A top-shelf #5 defenseman is not a steal, but it is certainly not a disgrace based on how teams drafted in the past in the same position.

P.S. If you try to argue against this, please do not cite 2-3 uber-successful #10 picks. If you want to present a counter-argument, cite ALL the #10 picks for the last 15-20 years.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

What I meant is that if he's a #5 on a Cup contender (which would be top-4 on a crappy team), then I'm happy. What I expect is that McIlrath becomes as good as Steve Eminger in terms of skill and skating, but is bigger and nastier. The nastiness, the ability to clear the crease and drive the opponent into the wall would be the difference between a "meh" player like Eminger and a very valuable player.

Old
09-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Zil

Quote:
Yeah, everyone over-estimates just how valuable a #10 pick really is. I posted on that before. The fact is that most #10 picks do not become stars, nor even top-4 D/top-6 F. Getting a solid #5 defenseman is right about what you can reasonably expect.

But people tends to focus on the few successes while ignoring the far larger number of failures.

A top-shelf #5 defenseman is not a steal, but it is certainly not a disgrace based on how teams drafted in the past in the same position.

P.S. If you try to argue against this, please do not cite 2-3 uber-successful #10 picks. If you want to present a counter-argument, cite ALL the #10 picks for the last 15-20 years.
McIlrath is always going to be tied in my mind to Tarasenko and Fowler. If either of those two guys turn out to be significantly more valuable than McIlrath, then I'll be angry because neither one is an under-the-radar type guy. To pass up two high-ranked guys and get burned is unacceptable.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
McIlrath is always going to be tied in my mind to Tarasenko and Fowler. If either of those two guys turn out to be significantly more valuable than McIlrath, then I'll be angry because neither one is an under-the-radar type guy. To pass up two high-ranked guys and get burned is unacceptable.
fowler moreso than Tarasenko for me. ive never been high on Tarasenko because i just dont think he's ever coming over here.

Old
09-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post

We can't always get the most valuable player out there. That's not a reasonable expectation. Why should every best possible pick go to the Rangers? How can we get scouts and psychics who are that good?

But if we get a useful, quality player in the first round and another 1-2 players in the later rounds, it's a successful draft. Any draft where we can pull out 2-3 players who can play on the top 3 lines or be top-5 defensemen is a very solid draft.

In 2010, if McIlrath becomes a top-shelf #5, either Thomas or Fasth becomes a second liner (50+ points per season over many years), and either Wilson or Yogan becomes a quality 4th liner (on par with Prust in terms of quality, not necessarily style), then I will be very, very happy with the draft.

To get a solid defenseman, a second liner and a fourth liner is a successful draft.

Old
09-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Zil

Quote:
We can't always get the most valuable player out there. That's not a reasonable expectation. Why should every best possible pick go to the Rangers? How can we get scouts and psychics who are that good?
It's very simple. Both Fowler and Tarasenko were known high-end talents going into the draft. If they had taken one of them and wound up having him bust that would be one thing. But if you're going to pass them both up for a significantly lower-ranked guy, then you had better be damned sure you've made the right decision. To take a gamble like that and have it blow up in your face when there was no reason to do so is not ok.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 05:11 AM
92hatchattack

common, its close enough now... can we get a GDT??? Ive got to see one at the top of the page to know its hockey season again!

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
common, its close enough now... can we get a GDT??? Ive got to see one at the top of the page to know its hockey season again!
I agree... can one be made now?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2011, 06:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

Rust hasn't signed anything but found this on twitter

Quote:
Ex-Wolverine Matt Rust in Traverse City with NYR. Has not signed though. Still hoping to land somewhere in AHL. Europe is not an option.
https://twitter.com/#!/mark_j_burns/...95207754211328

Burns attended Michigan with Rust.

AHL contract for Rust? He would be playing with his Michigan teammate Chad Kolarik and probably Carl Hagelin if he doesn't make the Rangers. Kolarik will be one of the leaders on the Whale. The Rangers really like him. They gave him a two year contract and a $105,000 AHL salary which is the max AHL salary without needing to clear re-entry waivers.

Rust is 22 so it would be a 2 year ELC if the Rangers offered a NHL contract.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 09-09-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old
09-09-2011, 06:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
Yes. The Rangers brass feels Erixon is NHL ready. They said the same thing about Ryan McDonagh this time last year. McDonagh spent the first 3 months of the season in the AHL. No guarantees.